Sign in to follow this  
thunderjaguar6

Our mentality

its come to my attention that the dayz community is incredible hostile,

and I ask why?

some say its a psychological factor when you trust someone over and over again and it comes to bite you in the ass each time.

some would say that it's human instinct to act this way when pressed In a hostile environment trying to survive,but if so then why do I see from videos that they have to talk some serious shit to you

when the knock you out,steal your guns and medicine and leave you to die.

ive not the chance to play the mod so I don't know what it's like which I stated in my previous forum discussion about the woodbury topic.

please leave your thoughts and Ideas on this somewhat delicate subject.

I want to see what you guys think on this and as always

-STAY FROSTY

Almost every time i trust another player i get murdered by them. In my opinion it isn't worth the risk to trust a survivor you meet as most encounters end up with them attempting to kill you. From my experience anway.

Edited by MoOnKat

I've always been backstabbed by survivors and unarmed bandits that I team up with seem to never betray me. I guess its because I didn't kill the bandits on sight, so they feel thankful, whereas the survivors may just see me as a guy who can carry stuff for him.

I think this should be changed, but usually most people I meet are actually friendly (I've met 9 friendlies in a row today, holy kräp).

It's also a limitation of the game design. Many times it is quicker/safer to shoot than to switch over to direct chat and try to talk to the guy. 

Plus, it's a game, it's about hostility. Having said that, I second what dollon said, it's surprising how many people are friendly.

It's a PvP game with survival aspects.

It is not the "survival horror sandbox" people think it is.

Anyone who tells you "you can't trust anyone" has just identified themselves as an untrustworthy person. People often make the mistake of thinking everyone else in this world thinks like they do, when in reality the variance of the human brain is vast and obviously the resultant variance in personalities will be equally vast.

I have heard so many people blame their sadistic murders on those who murdered them first. They say they tried to be good guys but got killed so much they just had to start murdering too. It's a cop out. They should take responsibility for their choice to become murderers. Sure I did a round of banditry on a private hive where I knew my public character would not be sullied. I wanted to see the other side, it was incredibly boring and rather easy. Get the drop, kill the guy, profit. But then you had no idea what kind of guy you just murdered. Even some of the hoods are good guys.

Given a choice most people will take the easy route, they lack the fortitude to take their licks and not let it change who they are. You have to be willing to take risks to build trust with strangers, it is downright hard to meet random people in this game and get more out of it than a firefight. Not all of us have given up though, and the moment you are too scared to take that chance you lose your humanity. You now operate on animal instinct.

Furthermore, if you read the posts from the more active members of the "community" (which most players don't participate in and are not a part of, they are useless users who don't contribute feedback to improve development) you will find a lot of great people who are in it for the right reasons.

As I have seen Orlok point out before, it is the saber rattling which gets the most attention, so it is understandable you would think this was a hostile community. But it isn't. 

• Like 3

The reason why people are hostile in DayZ is because of what i like to call the Chain Effect. You see when the first bandits started killing on sight and just killing for fun they set off a chain reaction. Their victims learned to not trust anyone and that they would be better off to just kill on sight. It has come to an point now where most survivors think that everyone is out to kill them. There are exceptions though., Some have developed an tolerance to these killers and continue to trust those who might kill them.

Anyone who tells you "you can't trust anyone" has just identified themselves as an untrustworthy person. People often make the mistake of thinking everyone else in this world thinks like they do, when in reality the variance of the human brain is vast and obviously the resultant variance in personalities will be equally vast.

I have heard so many people blame their sadistic murders on those who murdered them first. They say they tried to be good guys but got killed so much they just had to start murdering too. It's a cop out. They should take responsibility for their choice to become murderers. Sure I did a round of banditry on a private hive where I knew my public character would not be sullied. I wanted to see the other side, it was incredibly boring and rather easy. Get the drop, kill the guy, profit. But then you had no idea what kind of guy you just murdered. Even some of the hoods are good guys.

Given a choice most people will take the easy route, they lack the fortitude to take their licks and not let it change who they are. You have to be willing to take risks to build trust with strangers, it is downright hard to meet random people in this game and get more out of it than a firefight. Not all of us have given up though, and the moment you are too scared to take that chance you lose your humanity. You now operate on animal instinct.

Furthermore, if you read the posts from the more active members of the "community" (which most players don't participate in and are not a part of, they are useless users who don't contribute feedback to improve development) you will find a lot of great people who are in it for the right reasons.

As I have seen Orlok point out before, it is the saber rattling which gets the most attention, so it is understandable you would think this was a hostile community. But it isn't. 

Agreed, but the DayZ community is hostile... the latest mods (Overwatch and origins) make it so, more military loot in pretty much every city etc. It's so easy for a bambi to pick up a weapon and shoot somebody because they're greedy and want the persons weapon. It happens all to often, there is absolutely no way you can have a good friendly interaction with a fully armed player up north, it's always with new spawns with nothing and until they get a weapon they're the friendliest person in the world.

I want the old vanilla dayz days, even if it had the m107's, l85's, as50's, I miss those days so much and in my eyes the mod at the moment is almost near-impossible to play as a friendly player.

Edited by Quiickted

I always try to talk to people first. They open up on me me and my team will hunt them down. Imo it works well as well to mention my back is covered by at least 2 snipers nearly all the time. Somehow people do believe what I say.

There is no benefit at all to working together. I can fix a car myself, I can fix a heli myself. I don't need you. You are a burden. You are a 2nd moving shadow for others to spot. You might try to take the gun I want. You might give away our position. You might have something I want. You might turn around and kill me later if I don't kill you now. 

Until there is validity in seeking out other players for something aside from their gear, the great majority of players will kill on sight. 

• Like 1

I find plenty of both friendly survivors and bandits. On my server, there are a good deal of people who are willing to help out. Just the other day, a hero clan rode me around in a chopper and helped me repair a car. I helped some newspawns get up North(which ended in my unfortunate death, and the lose of my uber gear), and they were generally decent people. But there are also bandits there too, including one of which is my friend. It makes it pretty complicated when I want to help someone and he want's their stuff. And we get the occasional server hopping hill snipers. They are not bandits, they are cowards. They kill newspawns and don't even loot them. Hardly criteria for much of anything but a douche. But the moral is, play the game how you wish to play it. Some may not agree with, others may hunt you down because of it. But that makes it even more fun.

There is no benefit at all to working together. I can fix a car myself, I can fix a heli myself. I don't need you. You are a burden. You are a 2nd moving shadow for others to spot. You might try to take the gun I want. You might give away our position. You might have something I want. You might turn around and kill me later if I don't kill you now. 

Until there is validity in seeking out other players for something aside from their gear, the great majority of players will kill on sight. 

This, I feel, is really getting to the heart of the issue.  Implement more in-game mechanics that require more than one player to complete and the player interactions will change (seemingly for the better).

I loved the last "doodle rant" that was posted up on the forums a day or two ago (you can search for it).  Some really good ideas in it.

It's also a second pair of eyes.  Another gun in a gun fight.  One less trip to a zombie infected factory to grab that other wheel.  Or just someone to chitchat with while wandering the wasteland.

Or someone to shoot in the legs so you can escape the zombies

Hello there

OP you say you haven't played the mod? If so how can you judge the whole community on a collection of videos?

It's like judging all Germans as evil as one has seen a few war films.

I dont mean to be harsh, but try the vanilla game for yourself and see what experiences you have.

You'll meet both "nasty" and "nice" folk, just like real life.

Rgds

LoK