applejaxc

SA Single Player Scenarios

Before you rage and freak out because I don't want DayZ 100% multiplayer, just leave. Thank you.

That being said, I do not think Rocket should waste time or budget working on a campaign. Bohemia's engine just isn't a good platform for delivering a compelling story, leastwise not one worth DayZ--though that's not to say I haven't had fun in ArmA campaigns (like Resistance... although I would trigger the Russian invasion too early and my work building would explode when I got to it), but we're never going to see something as cinematic or tear-jerking as Last of Us, or in depth and creative as Heavy Rain on the ArmA platforms.

THAT being said, just because a campaign shouldn't be included in my opinion (but if Rocket finds a way to make it work then I'm all for it), I would like singleplayer options for when my internet is out.

• Armory mode: Just like what is already in ArmA2; you choose a gun, piss around with it for a couple of minutes, then a random "Would you like to do XXX objective?" popup lets you do a mini mission with it. Rather than kill house and animal hunting*, however, there would be "Clear infestation at XXX" and you'd have to kill a certain number of Zeds in Cherno or Elektro or wherever within the timeframe. There could also be recover loot at a heli crash, raid a hospital of supplies before something happens... Or best of all, find and defend some poorly equipped AI. The AI don't need to join your squad, be particularly intelligent, or have any positive elements other than able to shoot at Zombies and not able to shoot at players.
  • Horde mode with Easy, Normal, Hard, etc. Essentially, you're spawned in a building, tent, or some feasibly defensible location, with a supply box. The variety of weapons and numerity of ammunition/supplies depends on difficulty setting. The name pretty accurately describes the scenario: A horde of zeds is coming to kill you, try not to die.
  • Singleplayer sandbox. Kind of goes without being said. Cheats enable and disabled mode. Same thing as normal DayZ, but without other players. I don't care if there's AI or not, I just want to explore without some jerkoff taking me out with his AS50...
  • Mission editor, with ArmA2/3 modules, scripting, etc, except for obvious elements being taken out of the game, like squad commands, etc. Essentially for making 1 man vs the world missions.

*Speaking of animal hunting, has anyone played with the ArmA armory with DayZ loaded? It's hilarious! There's missions that tell you to go hunt cows in Chernarus, but the mission only pops up while playing on Feruz Abad (or whatever the hell the Takistan map is called), and if you accept it, it throws you into the debug plains and all of the "Cows" you're "Hunting" are zombies.

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 8

I've wanted SP stuff for a while. Like little scenario missions where someone's in trouble, or survive waves like COD Zombies (only without wall guns and shit). Sometimes my internet goes to shit, but I still want to play DayZ.

IS THAT SO WRONG!?

• Like 3

I don't think rocket plans anything like this in the future. Better stick to the mod and use the editor that is provided by the game. They can't do campaigns that good anyway...if you played the ArmA campaigns you know what i mean.

Yeah, I'm with you guys 100% on this.  My DSL network node is oversold and pretty much from 5:00PM - 1:00AM my internet is completely unusable.  And I live in the middle of fucking nowhere so it's not like I have other options...  I like all the suggestions for different "modes" for single-player too. They all sound like a lot of fun.

Maybe they will end up becoming Mods for the Standalone. Who knows.

• Like 2

is nice idea this one :beans:

maybe in future time community is use some edit tool for make some scenario like arma 2 mission :thumbsup:

• Like 1

One word:

WHY

Some of us dont like people or playing with them or some have dreadful internet connections etc etc etc

I would like some SP content as long as it was not connected in anyway to the "hive" and should be a low priority. A simple offline experience thats local with no frills/extras.

Other MP heavy games do it, I dont see why not. What appeals to some does not appeal to others.

If it took major resources away from the main game though, then I would not be so keen.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I just think that having to play with other people wether you like it or not was part of the magic of dayz, well before private hives came up.

If anything, offline training will make online failure even more frustrating. DayZ still functions very much like a roguelike with perma death.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 2

I just feel a SP mode will take away from the SA. I feel armoury and mission editor don't belong in a zombie game, they belong in ArmA.

I also feel that a "horde mode" belongs in something like Left 4 Dead, or Kiling Floor, not DayZ.

• Like 1

Would love to see a Single Player SA.  However I would like to see a little bit more story in SP than in MP.  Also something like a boot camp series of missions like in Arma 2.  Set just before the outbreak you play the role of different civilians doing 'normal' things.  IE A hiker hiking in the woods learning how to set up a camp, collect firewood, and cook.  Playing as a hunter's child who's father teaches you how to track, kill, and gut animals.  So on and so fourth (learning how to repair and drive vehicles as a mechanic, medical training while a nurse, flight training from either military/coastguard or private airline, gun training while a soldier, ect) but all training ends with the player getting overrun and killed by zombies somehow.  Of course there will be a few training 'missions' that take place after Z Day for when other things are added in (how to build bases, 'mad max' cars, ect)

• Like 3

I don't think rocket plans anything like this in the future. Better stick to the mod and use the editor that is provided by the game. They can't do campaigns that good anyway...if you played the ArmA campaigns you know what i mean.

I didn't say campaigns, did I? In fact, I'm pretty sure the original post shows my negative standpoint on Arma's ability to deliver a story.

That being said, you've really missed out on a lot if you think the entirety of ArmA's campaigns aren't any good.

maybe in future time community is use some edit tool for make some scenario like arma 2 mission :thumbsup:

Not to insult your reading skills, but uh... yeah, I pretty much said that.

One word:

WHY

Because fuck multiplayer, that's why.

No but seriously, multiplayer shouldn't be the entirety of any game.

Would love to see a Single Player SA.  However I would like to see a little bit more story in SP than in MP.  Also something like a boot camp series of missions like in Arma 2.  Set just before the outbreak you play the role of different civilians doing 'normal' things.  IE A hiker hiking in the woods learning how to set up a camp, collect firewood, and cook.  Playing as a hunter's child who's father teaches you how to track, kill, and gut animals.  So on and so fourth (learning how to repair and drive vehicles as a mechanic, medical training while a nurse, flight training from either military/coastguard or private airline, gun training while a soldier, ect) but all training ends with the player getting overrun and killed by zombies somehow.  Of course there will be a few training 'missions' that take place after Z Day for when other things are added in (how to build bases, 'mad max' cars, ect)

That's genius. It would have to be you're alone with UI pop-ups to be any good, though; have you ever tried making a mission in ArmA?Making an Ai say and do things specifically is a pain in the ass. Your "Dad" would more likely yell, "INJURED!" "Son, get in THAT VEHICLE" or "MEDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!" every three goddamn seconds.

The hunter could probably teach you the entire basics of the game, though. Being quiet, dialing your scope, shooting, vaulting/moving over fallen trees, etc on his way to kill an animal, and then driving to get back to town, and finally "Oh fuck!" you're surrounded by zombies.

That's what I was thinking, like basically tutorials for super basic stuff.

-snip snip snip-

That's genius. It would have to be you're alone with UI pop-ups to be any good, though; have you ever tried making a mission in ArmA?Making an Ai say and do things specifically is a pain in the ass. Your "Dad" would more likely yell, "INJURED!" "Son, get in THAT VEHICLE" or "MEDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!" every three goddamn seconds.

The hunter could probably teach you the entire basics of the game, though. Being quiet, dialing your scope, shooting, vaulting/moving over fallen trees, etc on his way to kill an animal, and then driving to get back to town, and finally "Oh fuck!" you're surrounded by zombies.

Thank you.  I like the idea about the hunter teaching all/most actually.  Setting up the camp, collecting firewood, actually hunting and skinning, cooking, getting water.  Have it end with the driving and repair lessons before being overrun by zombies.  Wouldn't be able to learn 'everything' from the hunter but could learn the majority.  Would still probably need the nurse/doctor training as well as actual pilot training (all separate of course)

• Like 1

Thank you.  I like the idea about the hunter teaching all/most actually.  Setting up the camp, collecting firewood, actually hunting and skinning, cooking, getting water.  Have it end with the driving and repair lessons before being overrun by zombies.  Wouldn't be able to learn 'everything' from the hunter but could learn the majority.  Would still probably need the nurse/doctor training as well as actual pilot training (all separate of course)

The stories could all be tied together.

So the hunter ends at, "Oh fuck..." surrounded by zombies, using his truck radio (it is Chernarus after all) to signal for help and shoots a flare into the sky.

Then starts the flight of Pacific Alpha 1 (or whatever) to save him from a rooftop (as difficult as that would be to do quickly) and fly him somewhere "safe."

Then starts the doctor mission to administer help.

The hunter would have like 90% of the play time though.

Well I was thinking they would be inter connected somehow, but not quite like that.  IE the Helicopter would be Search and Rescue, you might see it flyover in the hunting tutorial (say right when the hunter's about to take a shot, and scares the deer/pig away), and if you keep an eye out you'll see the hunter's camp in the flight tutorial, pick up a wounded hiker who was attacked in the woods, fly him to Berezino Hospital and drop off, then land back at Balota where a horde overtakes the airfield.  The Nurse/doctor would just be doing normal rounds in the hospital, bandaging wounds, blood transfusions, ect, till the Helicopter drops off the wounded hiker who would start attacking after you tend his wounds.

I personally think offline-singleplayer wold be great. Add italong with a disc release and the abillity to install without steam then you've got the potential for alot of people with shitty connection buying this, beans for you. I think SP would be easy to achieve.

Edited by King of kong

I wouldn't mind like side mission in the game that don't reward you anything but is just something to do(like the side mission in red dead).

I personally think offline-singleplayer wold be great. Add italong with a disc release and the abillity to install without steam then you've got the potential for alot of people with shitty connection buying this, beans for you. I think SP would be easy to achieve.

There's no way there's going to be a no-Steam version, unless when you get the disc it makes you install Steam with it.

I wouldn't mind like side mission in the game that don't reward you anything but is just something to do(like the side mission in red dead).

Sure... Redemption or Revolver?

Don't tell me what to do. I'll leave if I want to.

I don't see why you need steam jst to install the game from the disc. S.T.A.L.K.E.R can be downloaded without steam. If people anna buy it on steam then go ahead, I find steam slow and annoying as hell. I wanna just install the game off the disc. I didn't mean have no steam version at all, I meant have it so you don't need steam to install it off the disc.

I don't see why you need steam jst to install the game from the disc. S.T.A.L.K.E.R can be downloaded without steam. If people anna buy it on steam then go ahead, I find steam slow and annoying as hell. I wanna just install the game off the disc. I didn't mean have no steam version at all, I meant have it so you don't need steam to install it off the disc.

You don't need steam to install from disc. Steam isn't a requirement for the installation process at all.

I thought you meant the opposite.....Some games (Napoleon total war) have to be on steam even if you got it on disc.

I have an idea for a fun mission.

AI survivors are stuck in a random building somewhere on the map.

You are a NATO rescue team sent to rescue the survivors and also a doctor on the scenes of the incident.

It starts with a heli drop in with several squad mates and you must fight your way through hundreds of zombies and maybe even scavenge yourself to save the people before their defence is destroyed and they are killed by zombies.

Little mission like that would be a fun time passer when a server is down or something.

I have an idea for a fun mission.

AI survivors are stuck in a random building somewhere on the map.

You are a NATO rescue team sent to rescue the survivors and also a doctor on the scenes of the incident.

It starts with a heli drop in with several squad mates and you must fight your way through hundreds of zombies and maybe even scavenge yourself to save the people before their defence is destroyed and they are killed by zombies.

Little mission like that would be a fun time passer when a server is down or something.

Sounds like fun... the only hitch, is a LOT of AI is getting "ripped" out of the SA's engine.

• Like 1

I still don't get what is so wrong in learning the game as you go, that the first chopper you find you might not just take to the sky because you have no idea how to drive it (might take several attempts in a safer environment).