Julia_Shafer

Thermite Grenade

I know the topic of thermite has been brought up before, but people fail to remember that the military uses thermite grenades, so could possibly be found in military crash sites. Also while on the topic of thermite, its uses would probably be (for the grenade) the destruction of a cars engine, or a small barricade. If a person were to craft enough thermite from the environment (all things needed to make thermite can be found), it can be used to destroy much bigger barricades. 

Just a side note a sort of thermite can be made with sand substituting the iron oxide. I'd post a video but... yeah if you wanna know how to make it with sand just look it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHjeheSBDY

I think that would be sufficient to put a car engine out of work permanently!

• Like 1

I'm lazy, i would just throw sand into the oil filler hole.

• Like 4

thermite = incendiary grenade? would that be used as anti personal? or anti vehicle? 

Anti-vehicle only.

I'm lazy, i would just throw sand into the oil filler hole.

:beans:

is good idea for make sabotage some vehicle :D

WTF..why dou you always come with this silly hald assed stuff? Why don't you make a pocket nuke in the first place?

Actually I was very surprised to see this, but I saw at a gun show (in the U.S.) what was at least labeled as thermite. I didn't really think it would be legal, but apparently it is. That could be used against vehicles and a molotov (which are very easy to make by the way) could be anti-personnel.

@ N29.

Thermite isn't really any more dangerous than a lot of other stuff that's readily available in the US, so I'm not very surprised that a weaponised version shows up at gun-expo's.

When I think of thermite, I think of it's uses in engineering, railways etc., not military Anti-Materiel.

If something such as this is going to make it into DayZ, it'd make more sense as an ultra-rare industrial-use material than a military-issue grenade. Players could then use it as a weapon if they wish.

I might be wrong, but a thermite-grenade doesn't sound like a common bit of kit. Definitely not one one which would show up in a military-aid situation (crashed helicopter). And probably not one which would be readily found on-base.

Again though, I might be wrong.

(Waiting for Gews to post an official "Please find enclosed; Your boots, fatigues and Thermite-Grenades" conscript letter. :lol:)

Edited by Chabowski

@ N29.

Thermite isn't really any more dangerous than a lot of other stuff that's readily available in the US, so I'm not very surprised that a weaponised version shows up at gun-expo's.

When I think of thermite, I think of it's uses in engineering, railways etc., not military Anti-Materiel.

If something such as this is going to make it into DayZ, it'd make more sense as an ultra-rare industrial-use material than a military-issue grenade. Players could then use it as a weapon if they wish.

I might be wrong, but a thermite-grenade doesn't sound like a common bit of kit. Definitely not one one which would show up in a military-aid situation (crashed helicopter). And probably not one which would be readily found on-base.

(Waiting for Gews to post an official "Please find enclosed; Your boots, fatigues and Thermite-Grenades" conscript letter. :lol:)

If the Military uses incendiary grenades at all, I'm pretty sure they use white phosphorus. But yeah I was surprised when I first saw it, but I guess it's not all that dangerous. Considering you can make a huge bomb out of fertilizer (obviously you will need something other than fertilizer but yeah). So I checked it out and apparently using incendiary weapons against enemy personnel is against some international war laws or something. They still use it for other things, but apparently not as grenades.

Edited by TacticalN29

@ N29.

Oh right i forgot, that it's also used for railroad welding.

Thermite is essentially a mix of aluminium dust(there are other compositions) as fuel and iron oxide (rust) as oxidizer.

But it doesn't really explode, it's just produces an extremely hot slag of molten metal, the compoind is actually difficult to ignite as is. It somewhat works as an incendiary compound i guess but there are much easier alternatives such as molotov cocktails.

The main interest of thermite is it's ability to quickly melt metal hence it's aplication in controlled demolition and in the military to disable weapons (thermite grenades being basically "A smelter in a can").

As for international war laws... not every countries that signed them actually abid to them.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

I would think that you might have to find a recepie for it or your character might have to be smart

-Or just put a recepie for it in the game-

It really isn't that hard to make, and it does have some crazy uses

(Like Cutting through tank armor)

But what real use could you have for it?

I dont see any places it would come in handy dayz wise, unless theres some option to melt a car with it

Lets just do what Hetstaine Said

There is also Tannerite which, from does actually explode. Now Tannerite is actually the original company that made the "exploding targets". There have been many copies, but everyone kinda just calls it Tannerite. From what I understand it's fairly easy to make, but I don't think it has too large of an explosion. Unless you have a lot of course.

I wanna find sacks of nitrates and things in barns.

The only thing you need for car destruction is yourself, steal a part, break a line, pop the tires.

I don't think we need a weapon made just for permanent vehicle sabotage mostly because that's a car ad why would you wanna be a dick like that? Leave it on the coast for a bambi! Write an note and stick it on the dash for them

"dear random bambi, here's a car from me to you.

Love Andwii"