r4z0r49

Melee Weapon Quick Switch Help/Advice

1. Is fine, but has all the annoyance of swapping weapons just extended a bit.

2. Is bad. If it had a delay that would be fine even if it didn't do the animation. 2 seconds without being able to fire or melee would keep it from being abused. 

I would like if on swapping from main gun to melee/knife, the main gun get in left hand and melee/knife/(maybe also pistol) in right hand. That mean that you can use melee almost immediately (maybe your main gun remain without  ammo).  If close danger is expired or removed, then you can almost in same time to put your knife in sheath and reload main gun. That even don't need animation (though would be good).

And if you will, you can put your main gun on a shoulder by using yet one button. Parallel inputs isn't something new.

Animation Version please, this is supposed to be "realistic"

Because stopping to change weapons in a firefight is "realistic".

LMAO.

How about they just make the hatchet fill the sidearm box instead of the primary weapon...?  I always wondered why you couldn't have your hatchet at your side and quickly switch from primary to melee.  

Would it not be a matter of changing the weapon class? 

DayZ is all about realism, when I think about having an hatchet on my back and a weapon in my hand, to put the weapon on my back with a strap, then remove the hatchet from my back I think it would take some time, and be very difficult if I were running while doing it.

For sure the animation, but many times when doing a swap you realize too late that it's going to take too long and a zombie is going to get a piece of you.  When this happens you are left stuck in place until the animation is complete.  

I suggest if you move during the animation, any switching animation / bandage, that it cancels and you can escape being smacked by a zed.  

• Like 1

Animation version all the way. No way instaswitch. But make sure it's actually quicker than <open gear, drop main weapon, remove hatchet from toolbelt, close gear>. Cause if it's not then it defeats the purpose of the action.Can't wait for this feature, the new gear ui and the optimizations, go r4z0r.

I prefer the 1st one, anyway it should be functional even if the player performs it while walking (not runnung). In my opinion the insta-change should be possible too, but it must result in the dropping of the currently active weapon just to make real a quick weapon change attempted during a very critical situation.

Animated version. Being able to insta change weapons isn't the way to go. Even if it takes a little bit to be glued to the ground it's better than having to drop your primary to switch to melee. If you do the second people are just going to charge all the time since you can just hatchet when you get close enough without any kind of delay in swapping.

In my view clearly option one. It's the more realistic of the two approaches. The second option sounds too much like easymode.

Currently you have to choose wether to go into a city with a melee weapon to keep a low profile versus zombies or have the main weapon out in order to be able to fight other players. In order to swap you have to find a relatively safe place to make the swap in the backpack. In my view that should stay this way as much as possible. It's already a huge benefit that the new inventory system provides the ability to safe 10 slots in the backpack. Instantly changing between main and melee is just too much convenience. Don't make this game another easymode shooter for 12 year olds. There are enough of those already.

Edited by 31R0Y

I mean the quick change not instantaneous and not without any kind of animation, just a quicker action than the ordinary one, coupled with the disadvantage of being forced to drop the weapon to achieve a faster change

One please. I don't want to hold up people with hatchets only to get gunned down because they can insta switch to their cleverly hidden assault rifle

• Like 6

DayZ is all about realism, when I think about having an hatchet on my back and a weapon in my hand, to put the weapon on my back with a strap, then remove the hatchet from my back I think it would take some time, and be very difficult if I were running while doing it.

For sure the animation, but many times when doing a swap you realize too late that it's going to take too long and a zombie is going to get a piece of you.  When this happens you are left stuck in place until the animation is complete.  

I suggest if you move during the animation, any switching animation / bandage, that it cancels and you can escape being smacked by a zed.  

This gentleman is spot-on.

Option one.

One please. I don't want to hold up people with hatchets only to get gunned down because they can insta switch to their cleverly hidden assault rifle

That's a damn good point.

As much as I  would like to be able to change my weapons while moving, it has the be the first one

There is no way to use existing reload animations (which work while moving) and basically force a reload when switching weapons is there? The weapon would switch instantly but then force a reload so you would still need to wait before you could use it, that's probably the closest you could get.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 6

Oops, I'm a bit late to the party...

I'd definitely prefer the first option though. A four second delay sounds bad but if you think about it it's so much quicker and easier than going in to the gear menu, dropping your gun and equipping the hatchet like you do currently, and it's a lot more authentic than the CoD* quick switch.

*Nothing against CoD, it's just way too arcadey for DayZ IMO.

First.

As said the instant swap is way too arcady. It oughta take some fiddling to get your melee weapon of your belt. If the engine limitation means that locks you in place.... so be it.

Edit: Wouldnt mind a feature where we could use our weapon as a blunt striking tool though. Would be nice to sneak up that one darn zed that's in the way and knock him over the head with the butt end off my weapon. Ofc an allready aggroed zed wouldn't be so easily dispatched. Think of it as trying to hit someone on the back of the head that doesn't see you coming. Thats easy, when you come from the front and they see you coming.. not so much.

Edited by HazZarD87

I think that everything with the animated version seems fine for what it is. There are a few little animation bugs, but can be avoided ahead of time if you are aware. The switch is basically a matter of getting to some cover and tapping a button, doesn't take too long. It currently even seems to handle changing your mind well. So if you press 1 to switch the main then quickly press 2, the player will go directly to pulling out the sidearm instead of finishing the swap to main first.

It might be too late for this kind of stuff for the mod, but ultimately I would want to see making a sling as a crafting option. Thus allowing you to quickly change from your main. Prior to having a sling, I have to ask myself, where am I putting this weapon in order to free up my hands? If it's attached to my bag or in it, then I would like to see the player have to access their inventory to put the gun away to switch the any other weapon. Other options may include; holding the main in one hand while holding the sidearm in the other. For this to be believable though, you would have to take a serious hit to accuracy. Another option for me would be to drop the weapon on the ground. Obviously this isn't a way you would want to go unless you can ensure a safe transfer of the weapon to the ground without a high rate of magical disappearance, but it feels like a logical thing to do if you are rushed. Here i am in this firefight and fire my last round of my AR, I then quickly drop the gun in front of my and pull out my sidearm. Once things calm down I can then go back to retrieving the gun.

Another gun related crafting option that can be used to alter the speed of a player's draw could be a holster. Have your sidearm in a holster instead of a belt and you can draw .5 to 1 sec faster or something.(just a little side thought)

Either way you go, no insta swap please. Just feels to 90's for me.

Ps. If you go towards making the player mobile while switching, please add a low percentage chance of dropping your weapon in the panic.

I agree with you about the two switching ways, the fast with weapon drop and the normal one, both with some kind of animation. This is what I tried to explain in my two previous posts. Insta-change is too much arcade-ish...thinking about it I go back to the Q2, Q3 Arena gameplay

There is no way to use existing reload animations (which work while moving) and basically force a reload when switching weapons is there? The weapon would switch instantly but then force a reload so you would still need to wait before you could use it, that's probably the closest you could get.

36678604.jpg

• Like 1

That's a good idea actually.

The Primary Weapon is supposed to be on your back and therefore not hidden.