tomfacekillahhh

SA: trying to change the kill on sight mentality, *without unfair disadvantages to that or any playstyle

Hmmm. I see the point, players would always be there in real life, however I still think it would create many more problems than it would solve... I don't agree with the underground instanced bases either.

So what about clan/group bases?

finally a real question. thanks dude lol.

clan bases would be essentially the same, although having more sets of hands helping eath other out means

1. gathered resources could be used a little more efficiently than by one person

2. larger structures could be built than by one person.

stash nodes that have shared access with your buddies, and that are in a close enough proximity to each other, would be able to take advantage of these natural feeling, realistic mechanics. im probably scrapping any incentive other than the extra bonus storage space you could get from having a second set of hands to help at this point, so its still entirely up to players how much they want to reap the rewards of a storage system.

• Like 1

So what about clan/group bases?

Hmmm. I see the point, players would always be there in real life, however I still think it would create many more problems than it would solve... I don't agree with the underground instanced bases either.

Well it did get a bit OT here...if they have fixed servers ( new server new avatar ) this problem won't be a problem since a guy who just started playing on a server i played on for months will log in as a new spawn on the beach.

cheers for the very reasonable response. theres a little bit too much negativity in these forums, and the energy could be much better spent trying to tweak suggestions than to make jokes and just shut them down.

there likely are a slew of problems that i havent even considered yet, but im doing my best and have run over a lot of potential ways to make this system better.

the main concerns are this underground disappearing system allowing players to just disappear and take their bases with them if they are in any sort of danger. a lot of these problems could be solved with cooldowns tho.

say, if you log out and you arent close enough to your stash, itll still stay in game for a few hours. or if you are in combat, but still in proximity of your stash, you have to have been out of combat for at least X amount of minutes before you can logout and your stash disappears. if you were still in combat, it would persist for X amount of time.

which part of the underground instances dont you agree with? i could bring up a few (dated) interviews rockets done and its been expressed as much as theyd love above ground base construction, its likely not feasible. too many bases would pop up in a very short timespan, as well as theyd potentially cause a lot of lag.

underground instanced bases seems to be the most logical to me because it wont need to load near as many resources as an above ground so it would be no more laggy than the tent input system, which was fine in that aspect. its just clutter and lag i think thats causing the devs to lean more towards underground base.

thanks for the criticism and opinion again mang :thumbsup:

Edited by tomfacekillahhh

Well it did get a bit OT here...if they have fixed servers ( new server new avatar ) this problem won't be a problem since a guy who just started playing on a server i played on for months will log in as a new spawn on the beach.

yerp, its a little off topic but its an important aspect of the base mechanic, when it is finally implemented, so thanks for helping clear that up.

the 'private hive' system likely wont be implemented in the same way in SA, and if it is, it wont be for a long, LONG time. designing a fair base construction mechanic should be a little higher up on the list of things to do than it probably currently is imo, although rocket has said a few times, its pretty up their for him.

the 2nd question from a reddit QA:

Q: If you had the ability to add one thing to the game, no limits, what would it be?

rockets answer: Underground construction using red-faction style damage mechanics for clearing out the subterranean world.

if anyone has any info that contradicts what iv been led to believe about the planned 1 character for each server mechanic, please share! :)

cheers for ur 2nd contribution now and helping me explain that the fact that each individual character you create will be stuck on their original server, or at least it looks as if things are going that way. appreciate it! :thumbsup:

There would be too many bases on the map/server and once players knew where they were they would be ran sacked and utterly no point in having them just because it would be that endless cycle of repeatative gameplay that DayZ tried so hard not to do.

Yeah i don't think containers should follow you. And here is why;

• Characters becoming untouchable when logged off should be the exception rather than the rule, a concession to the fact we all have a life and can't be in the game 24/7.
  • It is already used by players as a crude "cyberlocker" where someone dedicated enough will get an extra user key as a storage space.
  • If base stashes only exist if their owner is online, this only makes the cyberlocker problem worse.
  • Being able to secure items out of the game create issues such as inflation and loss of rarity as the spawning mechanic has to keep replacing those items that end up sleeping in storages for ever.
  • It allows you to escape your problems, simply log in an empty server if your usual server has too many players in the area of your base.
Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

There would be too many bases on the map/server and once players knew where they were they would be ran sacked and utterly no point in having them just because it would be that endless cycle of repeatative gameplay that DayZ tried so hard not to do.

This is the problem with above ground bases, yes. So, its likely upon implementation even if bases do persist similar to how tents do, bases will just be a 'portal' you click and it takes you to an underground bunker, thats not actually physically connected to the map you were just playing.

The underground, disappearing 'portal' system im suggesting prevents this clutter from stacking up.

You did make me think of something tho. if an attacker does try to jump you at your stash, but dies, theres nothing stopping the same person, on a fresh spawn from just returning and trying again, over and over.

a fair, but still sort of unforgiving system that allows you to dig up and 'relocate' your bunker a certain distance, using certain tools or something, could definetly be implemented as a counter tho.

I think the problem DayZ had and no other Mod-Mod managed to fix was, that there is a lack of ways to defend yourself. You can attack very easily, but defense is difficult.

Sandbags, Tanktraps, Wirefence were basically removed, as they don't make sense if they don't persist over server-restart but couldn't be left in because of trolls. Basebuilding was never really adressed. Traps were limited to satchel-charges and bear-traps, but again, used only for trolling.

Other mods like origins, who introduced based, that where indestructible gave us that, but if your clan-base was known on the server, you couldn't do a lot against another clan raiding your base on an hourly basis. not being able to shoot into or out of houses, made them useless blocks in the middle of a field, that didn't even offer a lot of space to hide behind for cover. On the other hand you could find a Jeep, SUV or other cars with a machine-gun on top.

At this moment, as a result of how arma is made, the one who wants to kill and sees the other player first, is always going to make the kill and get all the loot. But other than getting loot, there is nothing to achieve. When getting the best gear is the goal and getting the best gear from others is the easiest way, that's how people play.

People started to KoS because "there was nothing else to do". And if SA has "nothing else to do", they again will KoS. Giving the chance to build something as a group might have a chance to change that.

• Like 1

Yeah i don't think containers should follow you. And here is why;

• Characters becoming untouchable when logged off should be the exception rather than the rule, a concession to the fact we all have a life and can't be in the game 24/7.

yeah, i can see why it is a special circumstance, but in a game that stresses such a harsh unforgiving atmosphere, it goes against logic being FORCED to leave hard earned gear, that would normally be close by, even if you were sleeping, unguarded.

• It is already used by players as a crude "cyberlocker" where someone dedicated enough will get an extra user key as a storage space.

i can also see how it might be a little more of a problem in DAYZ than say WoW, but 'cyberlock'ing is a considered a valid way to store items in a lot of games.  AFAIK, even in the most polished, refined and balanced mmos with storage space, next to no attempt is made at stopping a customer paying for another game to have access to a safe storage space. nor is an effort made to stop them creating extra characters on 1 account for that extra inventory space. this isnt a traditional mmo tho, you can potentially lose everything upon death, which makes that extra space more valuable.

• If base stashes only exist if their owner is online, this only makes the cyberlocker problem worse.

again, the 'cyberlocker' 'problem' is considered by many to just be a mechanic you can use if you really want to go to that amount of trouble, and not much can be done about stopping this, because its a tough nut to crack. also devs definetly wouldnt be against the idea of people buying their game twice, so any effort made to stop this probably will be delayed as long as possible.

• Being able to secure items out of the game create issues such as inflation and loss of rarity as the spawning mechanic has to keep replacing those items that end up sleeping in storages for ever.

yes it definetly does. but im gonna have to explain something iv been seeing more and more of lately. in the mod currently, there are a number of servers that SELL safe bases, for real money. these bases are capable of storing multiple vehicles, and that is exactly what they are used for. dayz origins, the popular mod to the dayz, also has its own safe storage system, which althouh im not completely sure how, manages to get around this vehicular hoarding problem. im not sure exactly how these systems work around the problem, but i do know the server had a warning played every half an hour that reminded everyone playing 'looting houses=permanent ban.'

so the desire for safe storage definetly exists, to the extent people will pay upwards of a hundred dollars for the privilege. this is likely because a lot of players feel as though another exception to the rule should be bases.

you could definetly balance the hoarding problem with some number crunching and tweaking tho. figure out a perfect tipping point, where a clan is only allowed a second identical vehicle when they reach a certain member count. so a clan of ~15 would be able to store 2 of the same choppers, but no more. this way, vehicles COULD keep spawning every time one is taken into storage, but it wouldnt be able to be stored anwyay, so it respawns on server restart. you could even put in effects like batteries breaking if your stored vehicle isnt ran for a long enough time, or other mechanics that discourage long term storage, like rust etc. edit: rethought this, and imposing a vehicle limit is probably the wrong way to go about it. but theres a workaround somewhere im sure. im just thinking, it kind of makes sense that storing more vehicles does requires more maintenence/upkeep,.

• It allows you to escape your problems, simply log in an empty server if your usual server has too many players in the area of your base.

im not 100% sure of this, if u know give me a heads up lol, but from what iv read and seen in interviews, i thought they were planning on having a character being linked to the server they started on permanently. you could stop the problem you just mentioned from happening by making any item that spawns in a server, also bound to it. or even if the player could only bring tools / supplies that werent rare or had a limitation to the number of that item in game.

im kinda hoping you can have multiple dayz characters, they are all just on different servers, and not able to change from their original. nor are they able to interact with each other at all. none of the WARZ shared character inventory shenanigans lol.

really well constructed post dude and it really got me thinking about things, thanks! :)

I think the problem DayZ had and no other Mod-Mod managed to fix was, that there is a lack of ways to defend yourself. You can attack very easily, but defense is difficult.

Sandbags, Tanktraps, Wirefence were basically removed, as they don't make sense if they don't persist over server-restart but couldn't be left in because of trolls. Basebuilding was never really adressed. Traps were limited to satchel-charges and bear-traps, but again, used only for trolling.

Other mods like origins, who introduced based, that where indestructible gave us that, but if your clan-base was known on the server, you couldn't do a lot against another clan raiding your base on an hourly basis. not being able to shoot into or out of houses, made them useless blocks in the middle of a field, that didn't even offer a lot of space to hide behind for cover. On the other hand you could find a Jeep, SUV or other cars with a machine-gun on top.

At this moment, as a result of how arma is made, the one who wants to kill and sees the other player first, is always going to make the kill and get all the loot. But other than getting loot, there is nothing to achieve. When getting the best gear is the goal and getting the best gear from others is the easiest way, that's how people play.

People started to KoS because "there was nothing else to do". And if SA has "nothing else to do", they again will KoS. Giving the chance to build something as a group might have a chance to change that.

all great points man, they all add up to create a pretty major flaw in the games atmosphere, despite them being technical restraints and not the dayz devs intensions. when i read 'People started to KoS because "there was nothing else to do" i felt like i finally wasnt the only one who'd noticed this, and made it known here. so far a lot of people have been adamant in pointing out you gotta be careful how you word things though, so id say 'more people started to KoS because "there was nothing else to do". it is true ther are plenty of KoS based playsyles not spawned from boredom. even i will admit i got bored and KoSd for the point of it about 2-3 times though. i felt so guilty after those few times id even stop playing for a little while afterwards. i just felt like there was a massive bad karma wave or something about own me haha. so its important even tho i feel this way, that im not pushing this playstyle on anyone, or use it in any ideas. what you just said in your post is exactly what iv been trying to say, but struggling.

i didnt know origin bases were indestructable, i only recently started playing it. it sounds like they are kinda forced to do it that way though hey, else the large number of bases on a map that is that small, being destructable, would mean they were kinda useless unless you could defend them 24/7 too. i havent thought about above ground damageable bases very much but i kinda sway away from the idea cos of the clutter, like the amount of server resources it would use up, and the actual in game physical clutter. itd kinda also be useless unless you have a clan of 40 rostered defenders throughout the week, and 10 were on standby ready to jump in game.

I dig how organized your thoughts were. 

wow really? thanks heeps man... i thought i was being a bit sloppy, but this whole thread really served its purpose. iv actually cut about 90% of the idea, all the incentives and % stuff.

im fine tuning my suggestion into something a lot more player/user friendly and easy to understand, it should pop up on reddit in < a couple days time. im kinda just hoping it can get some attention, and spawn similar threads there. if it keeps getting brought up theres more of a chance the devsll eventually decide to start working on bases. im just gonna suggest a lot more crude of an idea for at least well hidden bases. like being able to dig a hole in the ground and cover it with leaves, or stash input objects like debris / litter so if you positioned them right they wouldnt look out of place. the incentives will just be the ability to use the storage space itself.

and ill reword this whole thing but basically point out that it could help shape the pvp mindset of the game, without having any lame restrictions, or making any playstyle less viable. storing stuff away for the long run gives us a LOT more to do. this means less boredom leading to kosing for the sake of it. bandits can still be bandits, with the ability / option to stored blood stained gear, players who want to be friendly also have more of a reason for wanting to do so. share accumulated gear. be a medic and take specific meds for friendlies. also, being able to gear up any newly recruited teammates, bandit or friendly, basically just means more potential for group play, and thus less kosing without forcing it. how does that sound to you?

finally a real question. thanks dude lol.

clan bases would be essentially the same, although having more sets of hands helping eath other out means

1. gathered resources could be used a little more efficiently than by one person

2. larger structures could be built than by one person.

stash nodes that have shared access with your buddies, and that are in a close enough proximity to each other, would be able to take advantage of these natural feeling, realistic mechanics. im probably scrapping any incentive other than the extra bonus storage space you could get from having a second set of hands to help at this point, so its still entirely up to players how much they want to reap the rewards of a storage system.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this at all.

The reason I ask about clan bases is this:

Base building will be a large part of the game for groups and clans.  Organised clans love to have an HQ.  It also introduces the possibility for medic groups such as TMW or trading groups to set up a base of operations and use their bases for much more than just storage.  I honestly think that you're seeing bases simply as large storage boxes when the fact is they have so much more potential to open up the game and create some amazing scenarios.  Give players the tools and it's always amazing to see what they come up with as many other games in the past have proven.

Now if these instanced bases keep appearing and disappearing when the "owners" log in and log out you're instantly removing the potential for some insanely original gameplay mechanics that could drastically change end-game gameplay for long term organised players.

Lets say for example that eventually in the SA we see underground base building introduced.  The "owners" of that base could spend hundreds of man hours gathering supplies, rigging traps to protect it, customising it etc but all of that disappears when they log out.  It just doesn't sound very exciting to me, fundamentally it means nothing is at risk and for me that's a cornerstone of the way DayZ plays out.  You would be removing one of the fundamental things that makes DayZ what it is, risk and paranoia not to mention the reward and advantage players get for planning well and having patience.  Using your system I just see a grind to build a base to hoard gear, doesn't really matter too much where you put it because when you log out it logs out with you.

Then there's the other new interesting gameplay mechanic that bases could introduce, turf wars.  I'd like to see groups able to take over someone elses base if they have the manpower and don't get killed by the carefully crafted and placed traps within.  That now homeless group would either have to admit defeat and move on or regroup and try to take back what is theirs.

Weighing up the pros and cons I just can;t see a good argument for missing out on all of that gameplay potential just to have what would essentially be glorified lockers a la Origins.

Anyhoo, that's my thought on the matter, I did my best to read the thread in full before posting but I did skim some of it so appologies if I've missed a fundamental point or two about the suggestions being made here.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this at all.

The reason I ask about clan bases is this:

Base building will be a large part of the game for groups and clans.  Organised clans love to have an HQ.  It also introduces the possibility for medic groups such as TMW or trading groups to set up a base of operations and use their bases for much more than just storage.  I honestly think that you're seeing bases simply as large storage boxes when the fact is they have so much more potential to open up the game and create some amazing scenarios.  Give players the tools and it's always amazing to see what they come up with as many other games in the past have proven.

Now if these instanced bases keep appearing and disappearing when the "owners" log in and log out you're instantly removing the potential for some insanely original gameplay mechanics that could drastically change end-game gameplay for long term organised players.

Lets say for example that eventually in the SA we see underground base building introduced.  The "owners" of that base could spend hundreds of man hours gathering supplies, rigging traps to protect it, customising it etc but all of that disappears when they log out.  It just doesn't sound very exciting to me, fundamentally it means nothing is at risk and for me that's a cornerstone of the way DayZ plays out.  You would be removing one of the fundamental things that makes DayZ what it is, risk and paranoia not to mention the reward and advantage players get for planning well and having patience.  Using your system I just see a grind to build a base to hoard gear, doesn't really matter too much where you put it because when you log out it logs out with you.

Then there's the other new interesting gameplay mechanic that bases could introduce, turf wars.  I'd like to see groups able to take over someone elses base if they have the manpower and don't get killed by the carefully crafted and placed traps within.  That now homeless group would either have to admit defeat and move on or regroup and try to take back what is theirs.

Weighing up the pros and cons I just can;t see a good argument for missing out on all of that gameplay potential just to have what would essentially be glorified lockers a la Origins.

Anyhoo, that's my thought on the matter, I did my best to read the thread in full before posting but I did skim some of it so appologies if I've missed a fundamental point or two about the suggestions being made here.

pretty convincing points man, youve even half convinced me about a few things :P.

you're right i am writing them off as little more than storage boxes, but its the potential for what can be stored and shared amongst survivors that is the most attractive part to me, for the natural long term potential benefit to team play, and curbing initial SA KOS a little. i guess from feedback im going less for a base suggestion in my idea now too, and more it being just the stash system, with more options to make it hidden, or like i mentioned a bit ago, using random debris thats currently in the game as a stash input.

i feel like with the hours i spend logged into dayz, in SA, id still only be guarding my stash about 5% playtime max, so for the 5-10ish hours i were online (going to be no lifing SA, got a surgery to recover from WOO :D) its still vulnerable and for a very long time. theres still always the chance im going back to my stash to store stuff and get spotted and trailed. if i were to be in a group, and all 10 of us put time and effort into a base with traps n stuff, we'd be kinda put off playing the game if we kept getting raidied by a clan that logs in at 3-5 in the morning solely to pillage bases while most normal humans are afk, at work, sleeping etc...even if you get one of them in a trap, theyd just respawn and do it again for easy access. basically i guess to me, because of even the most basic rl requirements and commitments, and because the nature of the game for most revolves around collecting and upgrading gear in any means possible, it kind of seems a little backwards to be forced to leave some of it exposed and impossible to defend it. especially with the rendering distance problem.

so im conjuring something up here. what are some more things you could use to hide your bases entry? theres traps scattered around it as well as inside it, but then you could chuck leaf matter around them, some ghetto caltrops, nails on boards, even rig an alarm to the stash so invaders have a chance of tripping it off and alerting anyone / zamblers nearby. there still needs to be a ridiculous amount of ways to safeguard a base before people will write them off as useless though..

• Like 1

Well here's how I see it.  One of your main concerns seems to be that unless you're online 24 hours a day you base is at risk.  That's precisely how I think it should be.  When I used to play the mod a LOT nothing beats the sweaty palms you get when you're logging in hoping that your tent is still safe and hasn't been discovered, and nothing beats the feeling of reward or smugness when you've had a tent safely hidden on a busy server for weeks on end.  Obviously the current system isn't ideal though for a few reasons.  Tents basically are just lockers, not camps, there's no way of defending them (traps etc) and the ways of hiding them are very limited.

Regarding getting trailed back to your base, well that should always be a legitimate risk and wise players should have to deal with that risk and do their best to ensure it doesn't happen.  I used to spend hours tracking players and waiting for them to move on (or log out) before taking what I needed from their tents.  I'd hate to see that aspect of the game removed.

Secondly, you're worried about players finding it, getting hurt/killed by a trap you've set but just re-spawning and running back to loot it anyway.  This overlooks how differently the SA will play compared to the mod.  Players will have so much more to worry about in terms of basic survival, the old trick of just re-spawning and running in a straight line to where you died and carrying on as if nothing happened will be FAR less common (I think, time will tell).  Currently in the mod survival is only really a very basic concern, the SA will add many layers of depth and players that aren't cautious and methodical aren't going to last long.

You're right that there needs to be varied and interesting ways of safeguarding your base and from what I've read that is exactly what is planned but there's no point doing that if your base logs out with you anyway, so again that would remove yet another potentially interesting gameplay mechanic.  Crafting will be a major part of the SA, so there will be many interesting options for the player in terms of home defence (hopefully) so your last sentence touches on exactly what I'd like to see introduced.  That would add yet more game content and give the player yet more to think about/do.

I guess really we'll never agree because I think your possessions should persist in the world and always be at risk (in fact I think it's critical to the way DayZ plays, especially in terms of stopping large groups becoming too dominant on one server) and you think they should be safeguarded when you log out.

To get back to the original reason behind your posts, KOS mentality, I think there's 2 main reasons for it currently:  Boredom and lack of risk when a player decides to engage another player.  Of course there will always be players that will KOS as their chosen way to survive (as it should be) but there is definately a large part of the playerbase that choose to KOS purely for the 2 reasons I just mentioned.  When those players are given much more to do in the SA as well as more limited ammo/weaponry that in itself will make them think twice before opening fire on another player.  Currently there's no real rewards for having a player that's survived long-term, the SA should change that and a player that's managed to survive for a long period won't be wanting to put himself at risk by shooting anything that moves whilst a relatively "fresh" player simply won't have the means or resources to instantly start killing people as they can now as soon as they spawn and grab a gun.

So really I don't think your approach is the right way to tackle the situation, not when you consider all of the aspects of the game it would potentially remove.  In fact I think it could compound the issue, if a player feels too safe or the risk/reward for him becomes unbalanced because his gear is always safe (a la Origins magical storage system) then he won't think twice about getting into a firefight.  

As far as I can see, game development is all about trade-offs so there's never going to be the perfect answer just the one that suits their vision of the game best with least impact on authenticity to the experience.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Want to stop mindless killing?  Make ammo rare.  People will be less tempted to waste bullets on random people when conserving ammo is actually a concern.  

Well here's how I see it.  One of your main concerns seems to be that unless you're online 24 hours a day you base is at risk.  That's precisely how I think it should be.  When I used to play the mod a LOT nothing beats the sweaty palms you get when you're logging in hoping that your tent is still safe and hasn't been discovered, and nothing beats the feeling of reward or smugness when you've had a tent safely hidden on a busy server for weeks on end.  Obviously the current system isn't ideal though for a few reasons.  Tents basically are just lockers, not camps, there's no way of defending them (traps etc) and the ways of hiding them are very limited.

its only such a big concern because tents are completely 100% useless unless you're a farmer, and theres also no way at all to conceal a vehicle. nor was there any attention paid to the concept of base defenses in dayzmod except for nerfing them. i too have had tents hidden away for weeks, only to have a hacker tp to most of them while i was there, or a vehicle passed whos driver had their graphics turned down and could see the tent without trying.

i completely agree you should always be trying not to lead people back to your base, thats why i mentioned it too :).

Secondly, you're worried about players finding it, getting hurt/killed by a trap you've set but just re-spawning and running back to loot it anyway.  This overlooks how differently the SA will play compared to the mod.  Players will have so much more to worry about in terms of basic survival, the old trick of just re-spawning and running in a straight line to where you died and carrying on as if nothing happened will be FAR less common (I think, time will tell).  Currently in the mod survival is only really a very basic concern, the SA will add many layers of depth and players that aren't cautious and methodical aren't going to last long.

everyone is going to be worried about a clan of players continually respawning and crashing through your defenses while your afk at 4 in the morning, its not just me. instead of having a stash disappear, the new suggestion im going to lodge is like i said before, ditch the disappearing act, the same as tents, but not so obvious, and easily concealable. and more defensive items would mean its at least viable. it still helps to curb KOSing through boredom, so im all for it.

also it remains yet to be seen if the SA will be that much more hardcore survival orientated, like u said.

im gonna try n keep it brief cos im not nit picking, just trying to make my response a bit easier to follow.

a lot of people felt the need to point out with my suggestion your gear is safe all the time, or that its like an origins locker, while it would really be vulnerable the entire time your online. i dont know where u got the idea of disappearing bases being too safe of an atmosphere tho either, these stashes would collapse on death, so if a player were to decide to be risky, theyd lose their stored gear, like they should. i dont think you should be able to rearm from your own old survivors corpse or base.

thanks for more feedback, its what this forums all about.

check out the post just before the first one you made today, its got the new idea for my suggestion, in 2 short paragraphs.

• Like 1

I might be chiming in late here... but, the removal of all the 'meters' on your screen is a move toward 'immersion'.  Although I get it that you should be worried someone can steal your stuff when you're away... signing out is not being 'away'.  I think- and I'm certain this is up to interpretation so I won't argue it heavily- that being concerned for your stuff while you're not logged in is a problem of immersion.  I'm 'signed out'.  My 'character' isn't sleeping in that tent/base. He/she isn't anything. This isn't a problem until the world keeps moving on when you're away.  There's no psychological correlate to this.  We can 'makeup' ideas in our heads to explain this~ I'm sleeping nearby and luckily they never find me but they find my gear~ we do this for a lot of things in this game.  But it presses us away from the immersion aspect.  

Anecdotal evidence (skip if you're not in the mood to read, just funny)-

last night when I quickly rolled under a wall to get away from a zed and he Muhammad Ali haymaker'd me through the wall and knocked me out.  I said to myself...well, in game he can't climb under the wall very fast... so IRL maybe he'd still get me.  I lied to myself to sustain the immersive aspect of the game.  This is a stretch I know... but otherwise I've had it with this game to be honest.  It's old, clunky, and without imagination nostalgic at best.  But with imagination... running through Cherno at night with only a flashlight in first person and seeing the zeds silhouette up the road... wait is it a player...no too slow...wtf is that.  flash, crack, "You are Dead"... can still get my autonomics ramped up. lol.  

A second aspect to this... I dig getting into a game... a Saturday night spent gaming with my desk cluttered by a bottle of singlemalt and a number of assorted belgian brews... but I will NEVER have the time for farming etc etc and what it takes to basically play games like wow or swtor, though I see the fun that can be had from such titles.  This is also (I'm not advertising here) why I posted my thread about the oregon trail thing.  Balancing the game ever so slightly so that people that live on it are not at such a massive advantage.  I can see how stashing/basing/tents/whateverthenomenclature for storage is could be useful, but too far in one direction removes immersion and in the other makes the game inaccessible to mainstream gaming.  

So as a sidenote- and I won't hijack the thread with this idea- maybe I'll start another...

But I will say this~ the incubation time for this game has been long and judging from their efforts to make the game both 'good' and playable for a diverse group of gamers (survival/fps/mmorpg/etc) not to mention being able to play it on a pc of 'modest' hardware, eludes the idea they want to keep their market large- which is smart.  Therefore, narrowing that target audience would be an awful business move.  They deserve to be paid handsomely for a novel idea along with their efforts.  But the only way to ensure both this and the continuation of the someday series of dayz games, is to make certain they don't marginalize people like me out of this game.  Its just the way of the world.  They are in arguably the most unique position in the industry right now- artistic freedom backed by a reputable company.  Few games since antiquity boast such a position.  So to them~ I tip my urban marpat hat and say for the fate of gaming... don't fuck this up.  haha. 

p.s... I'm not a fat cat sitting in my Italian leather chair on the 52nd floor of my Manhattan office, puffing a cigar and holding a scotch older than most the people on this forum.  So CODeezer hate and malevolent comments toward me pertaining to the concept of 'mainstream' and the usage of words- namely "business move", "market" and "industry"-  are discouraged.  I don't care.  I have to go to work now.  lol.