rocket

Infected Detection behavior is not as intended

Don't sticky it! The sound might trigger the horde!

But in all seriousness - good job. Was kinda obvious it wasn't intended, though.

Maybe this will stop all the complaint threads. Probably not, though.

I'm not a hoarder, till its all fixed im cool with C running till I find a melee weapon and hatcheting players up and down the coast for flashlights.

I think it would be nice if, unlike now where the zeds tell between another zed and a no-zed from so far away, they would take you for a zed as long as your behaviour is 'normal' (ie walking or crawling) until they are much closer to you so they realize you are meatfood?

That would apply for footsteps too, they surely are hearing lots of footsteps from other zeds in their 'life', so why would they know that my footsteps are from a non-zed human?

Dang Rocket is fast. I just get done with testing 1.7.1.4 and tested and reproduced Zed detection only to find that Rocket was on it and is already adjusting it.

Thanks.

Still having a blast even if it is a bandits shotgun to my face :P

Yea its not too bad an issue as there are ways to survive. But bugger me is it hard now days. Any changes will be appreciated. Thanks Rocket.

also a brief design for implementing a concept of smell ;) Might make you laugh.. :)

Smell! Absolutely... It stands to reason that most survivors are passing some mean smelling farts out there, after all our main source of food is Baked Beans. And about those beans, exactly how do we open those without a can opener?

Rocket' date=' i have proposed some suggestions for adjusting movement to be more representative of real life stealth and movement in another thread in the suggestions forum. Might be worth a look.. also a brief design for implementing a concept of smell ;) Might make you laugh.. :)

Edit: .. of course the link might have helped: http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16923

:)

[/quote']

Smell would add soooo many interesting things, I also wrote today a suggestion about it!

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16868

Anyway the most important thing to fix for me would be stopping zeds from telling noises from humans apart from those made by zeds

also a brief design for implementing a concept of smell ;) Might make you laugh.. :)

Smell! Absolutely... It stands to reason that most survivors are passing some mean smelling farts out there' date=' after all our main source of food is Baked Beans. And about those beans, exactly how do we open those without a can opener?

[/quote']

It can be opened with your fingers. Ate one can of Heinz Baked Beans a week ago and it was disgusting. :S I feel bad for my character. :(

Anyways great news for the fix.

I dont know if someone suggested this already but I assume a balance could be made for prone/crouch visibility and audio.

For instance prone crawling makes more noise than crouched walking realistically.

Maybe prone crawl is one bar of hearing detection and zero of visual.

Crouched walk is zero bars hearing but one of visual.

Not exact math but you get the idea.

I dont know if someone suggested this already but I assume a balance could be made for prone/crouch visibility and audio.

For instance prone crawling makes more noise than crouched walking realistically.

Only if you're scraping your entire body against the pavement' date=' by holding your body off the ground with your knees and forearms you should make even less noise, but you'd have to move slowly. Fast crawling making noise sometimes makes sense, but slow crawling should never make noise, it's the slowest way to move. The only way to move slower is to sit still and that's not a solution, that's a way to die.

Maybe prone crawl is one bar of hearing detection and zero of visual.

Crouched walk is zero bars hearing but one of visual.

Not exact math but you get the idea.

Gameplay wise, this is no good. Visual only matters if they're looking in your direction, however sound matters due to proximity. Ask yourself "What would be the main reason I would need to crawl?" Answer: Cause they're coming right at me and if I don't crawl they will definitely see me. If they can hear you even when you're crawling slow, crawling won't help, they'll be too close as you go slow, sitting still won't help, cause of their magical ESP aggro range, you either accept the aggro and run away hoping to lose them, or you let them eat your face. Crawling slow should be your last option, but it should still be an option, right now, slow crawling isn't even helping half the time cause they can hear me even when I crawl slowly.

Every time rocket posts about the game, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

uhm.. is it normal they see me through walls even if im prone?^^

its like i heard a million trolls whining and they were suddenly silenced

Nice work Rocket, i kinda figured the detection mechanic wasnt ideal yet...

alpha build it is :)

Just to clarify' date=' the current detection system is not intended, it's the result of fixing a series of bugs, when the previous balance was developed to provide "balance" with those bugs applied. So basically, fixing the bugs has destroyed the balance - now this needs to be adjusted.

So audibility and visibility are going to be heavily tweaked.

This means it is going to take several patches before realistically it is back and fixed, but once it is fixed, I think the result will be much, much better.

There will be a hotfix, possibly tonight, that will contain fixes and any new changes to the system.

P.S. @4chan just because it says "[NEW']" in the changelog doesn't mean its a new feature. Sometimes, a hotfix will contain a "[NEW]" item because new functionality is developed to improve performance or assist with other bug fixing.

sweet yeah my character died because of them anyway rocket before you close this window or do anything else please read what i have to say i got some ideas and bugs i did a post of the forums but not many views and no response by anyone :/

Hey i have noticed a few things during night game play i don't have any print screens so guess you guys will have to test them your selfs

I am up to date with the current beta patch and also the version

#1 When viewing in 3rd and 1st person mode during night time game play going to the back of a hunger doesn't make the chem light glow up as it should "when viewing from a certain angle (sometimes)"

#2 when lying down trying to throw something doesn't work (it does the throwing animation but doesn't release the item) ( i tested with chem lights maybe flares or tin cans work i don't no about that)

#3 When viewing the train tracks about 10 meters away and pionting the flash light to it directly the hole track from your left of the screen to your right of the screen lights up you can also see the bottom of the tracks or something like that

#4 Sometimes on cranes when climbing a ladder you fall off :/

#5 When infected and your blood stops at "around" 6000 you can get infected again and your blood starts to drop lack of antibioticsaround the map iv only seen at hospitals

#6 instead of loot on the ground for lets say a fire station or some sort of office building make a little first aid box on the wall so we can open it and have a greater chance of finding medical supplies

#7 Make buildings with small crew room or managers office it could have a little coat hunger and you could find camo or something hanging off it

#8 IF possible make maybe underground bunkers around army places or something different

Thats all i have for the bugs thats i found and the ideas i am thinking of hope you guys can do the best with the limitations of arma2 and i do see this being even better if they release it for arma3. Because in arma 3 i was watching a youtube video and EVERY building is accessible isn't that great. I think the ones you can't enter should have like wood hammered on and if you find a tool you can undo the wood that is nailed around thw door and be able to enter it ok thanks for reading

I haven't been bothered by zombie hypersensitivity or heightened detection, as I began playing just after that change was implemented. I always assumed that zombies were rather aware of their surroundings and that it takes a certain amount of caution to get around them without drawing their attention, and thus I haven't had any problems with sneaking around due to me not having to adapt.

Once this system is changed and the zombies become less super-aware, I feel that the newer players who began playing after the original heightening of the zombies' awareness will have an even easier time than those who will have to adapt.

Obviously it's not that dramatic, but it's still a plus for newer players.

I haven't been bothered by zombie hypersensitivity or heightened detection' date=' as I began playing just after that change was implemented. I always assumed that zombies were rather aware of their surroundings and that it takes a certain amount of caution to get around them without drawing their attention, and thus I haven't had any problems with sneaking around due to me not having to adapt.

Once this system is changed and the zombies become less super-aware, I feel that the newer players who began playing after the original heightening of the zombies' awareness will have an even easier time than those who will have to adapt.

Obviously it's not that dramatic, but it's still a plus for newer players.

[/quote']

its not that you are new, its that your brain works. people with working brains will have less of a hard time.

also, (this is off topic), i remember when i was a kid and i bought a game for my sega or n64. id get home, play it for a few minutes, and if it was shit, id be like damn, oh well. mom it sucks, and she would return it.

Nowadays with the internet and people being able to voice there opinions, when they get/ play a game they dont like, they yell and bitch about things that they want changed.

i remember leaving my n64 on for days because some of the games were so brutal, there was no way to complain so i had to adapt, and in the end when i won it felt 10x better than today. today you are expected to win.

the fun isnt in winning anymore.

ALL DONE

the fun isnt in winning anymore

So ... DayZ is a graphically improved version of Dwarf Fortress + Zombies?

the fun is still in winning if you're playing a competitive game.

you can still find ridiculously hard AI as well. and don't tell me that back in the days you did not expect to win a singleplayer game.

"welp, this part is really hard, guess i won't play that game again, lol"

you would put up with a lot of stuff, that wasn't really fun. i'll admit that beating some of the older mario games was extremely rewarding, but it was SO frustrating on the way, that sometimes i'd just get really pissed off by playing.

if you want that experience again, go play starcraft 2.

if i play singleplayer, i play for being entertained, for having fun and to relax. if i want a challenge, i'll play a multiplayer game. simple as that.

I honestly have to agree. What bothers me the most is zombies walking through walls of buildings. I know this is the fault of the code, but it really needs to be rectified. Another thing. I know how to sneak. I know when I have to prone, but if I'm sprinting down a highway into town, about 1/2 a mile out, there is absolutely no way in hell I should aggro the entire town. Let's say Kamenka for example. It's just not feasible. I know they have a heightened sense of smell, that's fine. But I honestly doubt, dead or living, that you're going to smell me or hear my footsteps from over 1/2 mile out and we all know the zombies vision is pretty fubar at this point. I can understand if you're running within maybe 150 feet, but it's too much right now. There will be times where I'm proning and moving slowly on the outskirts of town, and I'll set off a chain reaction and have the whole swarm on me. That's not fun gameplay. That's almost an immediate respawn click. Please lower the threat radius by at least 1/4 I'd say would suffice.

The seeing through walls thing has absolutely got to go. I know this is a hard project, but you guys have something incredible here. Something millions of fans will power hard earned dollars for. Alpha or not... instead of focusing on new features, I think your best business move would be to take the model as it is, fix the glaring bugs, and THEN start implementing cool new features. I mean, at some points it truly feels like there's no way to hide.

And another thing. Add a moon. Please. I love the pitch black, but a flashlight/flare/glowstick is a dead give away to enemy players. At least if we had the moons light, we could make out house and zombie silouttes and therefore guide ourselves in the direction we'd like to be going. I try to avoid night servers based on this alone unless I'm in a group of 4+ packing at least rifles.

And another thing I think would be good for moral, and would keep new players interested longer. At the very start, give them a makarov with one clip. No backup clip, just whatever it is in the gun. And maybe a compass. No map, definitely not. But a compass for sure because it's very hard to meet up with fellow companions when you spawn in, and that would do away with the constant respawning to get to a better spawn point.

I also think it would be neat if there was a chat interface where you could scroll through the list of available players, and send a "tell" to one asking if they wanna group up/meet up. Not the side channel. We don't need that. The worst they can say is no, or they could say "Ok man, let's meet up. I'm over at such and such but I'm pinned down at the moment. Sort of like the world of warcraft private message system. Could it really be that hard to bring up a drop down menu of all the players currently in the server to ask if people would like to join up? At this point, I've been making forum posts hoping someone would be on and willing to group up. I've got a lot of responses, and I found a group which is based solely around snipinng key pvp areas(fun :)) but I think that feature would go a long long way.

Does this mean zombies are going to be made more difficult or easier to deal with?

Can't wait. I'm so frustrated right now, after having 4 zombies teleport through walls and break my legs simultaneously in one day I quit playing for now.