Invrlose

New player just can't get into this game...

I've seen all the praise this game gets and I have watched many entertaining streams of DayZ on twitch. Now that i have bought it though I am not having fun at all, it is borderline frustrating.

Every life seems to play out like this: I spawn near some random town. I enter the town, find literally no supplies even though I search every house. I keep going from town to town, EVENTUALLY after about 30 minutes of running I find a can of beans. It's just frustrating as hell. Why when I watch streams it seems like there is supplies in every house, but when I play I have to run across three towns to find supplies? I have checked youtube and gotten rough maps of which houses I should check in elektro, cherno, etc.

This is how my last life played out:

Spawned as far west as I could go. Walked through 2 towns, found some empty whiskey bottles, some Lee enfield ammo but no enfield. Got to Balota, went to the air base and picked up an M4 and 4 stanags. I then ran all the way from there to elektro. Somehow my character started coughing and losing blood. By the time I got to elektro my guy was passing out. I shot at a player out of desperation and killed him. 2 of his buddies showed up and I killed both of them too. Then I passed out and died in a pool of mucus and fecal matter. I understand the concept of this game very well. But the fact that it takes me 30 minutes to run to a town only to die of catching a cold is annoying to me. I want to have fun playing this game but I guess I lack the know-how.

• Like 2

Probably jumped in at a bad time for a noob. They just upped the infection chance and there's a few bugs regarding loot to my understanding. It's pretty much all luck of the draw, sometimes you can get lucky and find a box of matches, a knife, and an ax all in the same small town, as well as some other goodies. And sometimes you go through every city on the coast and only get an ax and a mac.

Probably jumped in at a bad time for a noob. They just upped the infection chance and there's a few bugs regarding loot to my understanding. It's pretty much all luck of the draw, sometimes you can get lucky and find a box of matches, a knife, and an ax all in the same small town, as well as some other goodies. And sometimes you go through every city on the coast and only get an ax and a mac.

Today I had a good run earlier where I found an m4 in the same army base, some stanags, an alice pack, and then when I was running to elektro my character started to bleed from a zed, I had no bandages and died as a result. I made sure my body died where it was hidden and ran back to it and got my m4 back... But then someone randomly shot me without warning

They recently changed the Loot Tables so the videos you may have watched are older versions where loot was "easier" to find. Try to find a few people to team up and play with them ... the game can be challenging and that is why a large portion of us play it.

Some games are just not for everyone ... you can always play the Campaigns of Arma2 and Amra2 OA ... they can be fun.

They recently changed the Loot Tables so the videos you may have watched are older versions where loot was "easier" to find. Try to find a few people to team up and play with them ... the game can be challenging and that is why a large portion of us play it.

Some games are just not for everyone ... you can always play the Campaigns of Arma2 and Amra2 OA ... they can be fun.

Well in my opinion there is a difference between challenging and ridiculous. Making someone run for literally 30 minutes to the nearest hospital in the hopes of finding antibiotics which are super rare is dumb, especially when that person runs out of options and his only hope is to shoot people on sight in hopes that they have meat that you can eat to replenish blood and buy yourself more precious time.

• Like 1

The first few runs will certainly be hard. That's just how the game is.

The first few runs will certainly be hard. That's just how the game is.

So in the case where I catch an infection with no antibiotics what should I do? And how do I deal with random snipers shooting me

My runs are still hard and i've been playing for 6 months... I suck at this mod :D

So in the case where I catch an infection with no antibiotics what should I do? And how do I deal with random snipers shooting me

Well, you should surely look for antibiotics if you don't already possess them, or trade for them. If it suits you, steal them from someone.

As for snipers, simply don't be an easy target. You don't have to 'deal' with them, as to simply avoiding them altogether. Any popular area where there are places with a vantage point (for example a city with a mountain in clear view nearby) is a likely candidate for a sniper, so just be wary, and hug the walls.

Edited by Rage VG

With the new build, I think it makes sense to check out EVERY house which spawns loot. In my past 5 games I've always found everything needed to survive (a good (military grade) gun is not on that list) just because I didn't go where everybody goes (supermarket, bar, ...), but every small house which has loot.

Finding items/food/medical supplies is much harder now, I agree. But that doesn't imply that it was better before they changed the loot tables. It just says that it was easier before to get your stuff. Some like it harder (me included), some like it not. But, it's still possible to find stuff.

• Like 1

Im going off the mod too tbh. Been playing it 3 months now, really enjoyed it to start with but since the latest patch its not fun and I finally realized tonight I need to call it quits for a bit. Spawned in Elec, found nothing but ammo, no guns, no hatchet, no matches, but a hunting knife. Broke into then hospital, empty cans, nothing else ffs! Ran north heading towards Bez checking everything I could on the way, nada. Got as far as Staryoe and was about to loot a barn when a Zed punched me through the wall, 1 punch, infection and broken leg FFS!

Oh well, time to play something else I think. There is a big diff between challenging which this game was before, to down right frustrating now.

• Like 2

Oh well, time to play something else I think. There is a big diff between challenging which this game was before, to down right frustrating now.

That's kind of what I've been thinking too. I don't mind challenges as long as they aren't unbearable

Its to do with this latest Patch Which is an extremely Frustrating patch, mainly the Loot changes

As well as them banning alot of custom Weapons From Dayz that Private Hives Could add.

I wish that 1.7.7.1 was just an updated version of the previous patch, as that one kicked ass

Edited by Star Thornberry
  • Like 1

Yep it is hard and i can understand your frustrations but do give it some time. There isnt really a game out there like this. The mod is getting there and the Standalone will be coming out soon.

One thing i always keep in mind as i die from a bastard sniper or bleed out from a lack of bandages is - its the apocalypse, it wasn't meant to be easy.

• Like 3

- its the apocalypse, it wasn't meant to be easy.

Well said people have to treat it that way a very hard enviroment with nothing but scraps to survive on,

Join a group, sometimes solo is just not for everyone!

What he said. When I started playing I was also playing alone. It was boring and hard. Then I found a friend, and ever since I've loved the mod!

Is there going to be a in game tutorial at all?

Edit: For SA that is.

Edited by Muromets

Is there going to be a in game tutorial at all?

Edit: For SA that is.

Haven't the development team suggested that they would never (or highly unlikely) add a tutorial, as it breaks the whole immersion of not knowing what you're supposed to do?

The objectives are simple: scavenge for food, water and other supplies and stay alive. What you decide to do around those objectives is entirely up to you.

Another tip is, when you're desperate, ask for help, tell 'em you're a noob.

I do this all the time even though I've been playing for a year and you'd be surprised by how nice people can be.

Rather thank KOSing with your M4, maybe you could have traded it for antibiotics.

Take it easy, be strategic, don't get hit, and try to make allies.

And when you do get killed (as will often be the case), shrug it off and get back in.

You'll get to a point where the game will seem quite easy, even with this patch.

I want this to be the toughest online game out there. I want to have to keep trying, and keep failing, to survive. I want the point of DayZ to be being dropped into the most harsh environment in videogaming with nothing and to survive, to get a handle on the situation... even if it takes months to get to that stage. The initial part of this mod is golden and when you manage to get everything you need and want, the experience dulls somewhat.

It's not there yet, but still an awesome experience and part of me misses the frustration I often had last summer of desperately needing matches, but only finding Mountain Dew :(

this thread makes me feel like i should return more often. when i last played a few weeks ago, it took me 30-45 minutes to be equipped with everything i need, stumbling over AKs and SVDs every 5 mins..

good to see the loot abundance got turned down

this thread makes me feel like i should return more often. when i last played a few weeks ago, it took me 30-45 minutes to be equipped with everything i need, stumbling over AKs and SVDs every 5 mins..

good to see the loot abundance got turned down

How do you do that? I ran for 30 mins last night and only found empty cans and chemlifghts and stuff. Then I died of another stupid infection

Hello there

Perhaps the wasteland mod is for you rather than DAYZ or a custom server?

Rgds

LoK