Crewxxblah

I'm new and need tips

Sounds like you haven't played the game yet.

You don't have to kill people you see, you could also run away. This is unless you have a death wish ('giving them a chance'),

Death is inevitable in DayZ, embrace the journey. I've had no more fun surviving for months than I have surviving a few hours. It's always a roll of the dice, and to me running away from people is like not rolling them at all. (Unless they've given you a reason to run)

Edited by bad_mojo

Also, never EVER mess with the admins. Never. Ever. They will eat your soul. And ban you from the server if you mess with them, which is (in my opinion) a d*ck move. (Happened to someone I was adventuring with: He shot someone on the "Admin-Team" and got banned for it. Of course this is always server dependent, mostly they are nice;))

Just remember the first thing they teach is, that if there's any doubt, then there is no doubt.

Edited by Dallas

Same here i am also new here.My name is jody and glad to see some tips here as a new.

Hello survivor!

Welcome to our fine resort!

Here are some great things to do, while you are here:

1. Think fast, move slow

2. When in doubt... stay in doubt. Never trust anything 100%

3. Learn to run, when you need to run

4. Always be a good person

5. Get a hatchet. No exceptions

We hope you enjoy your zombie filled stay.

Have fun!

• Like 1

- Always shoot the hospital windows with a lee enfield

- Always shoot zombies with a lee enfield

- Always have a lee enfield

- Always swap a dmr for a lee enfield

- Always kill people with a lee enfield

- Always team-up with people with a lee enfield

- Always eat a lee enfield

- Always drink a lee enfield

- Always roll off a building onto a lee enfield

- Do more sh!t with a lee enfield.

-

• Like 2

Always crouch walk

Always double hit shift when you first spawn in (so default movement is walk and hold shift to run.)

Always walk on roads never run.

If you run into a bandit, he will say thank you after he kills you.

Hi, this is a really good thread with a lot of helpful information. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10051-index-of-helpful-threads/ .

Things I wish I knew when I first started playing:

Grab a hatchet, and use it against the zombies. Guns are sexy and fun to play with, but also are loud and when you unload all your doing is ringing a dinner bell, signally chow time to zombies and bandits/KOS players.

After you find a water bottle, when you fill it up at lakes and water spigots, boil it in an empty can before you drink it. Getting sick SUCKS!

Find matches, a hunting knife, a hatchet and you are good to go food wise. You can collect firewood, and kill animals with the hatchet. You can gut the animals for food with the hunting knife, and you can cook the food with the fire u started with the wood and matches.

Currently in the mod, Kill On SIght mentality prevails. When you come in contact with others, get into a defensible position and always deal with others from a position of strength. Or sneak away with them none the wiser. Its a game in itself. Its fun to be watching and avoiding people with them not even knowing your there.

Some may argue with this but dont kill unarmed or new spawns. It proves nothing. Find another way to stroke your e-peen.

Always try to have a box of antibiotics in your backpack at all times. Even the best, most sneaky player in DayZ will get infected from time to time, and slowly dying from infection really ruins your good day.

Have fun :)

• Like 1

Tips will only get you so far. The only way to truly learn is to play the game.

• Like 2

Always try to have a box of antibiotics in your backpack at all times.

While I agree with keeping anti-biotics on you at all times, I disagree it should be carried on the backpack. In DayZ people can access your backpack so I NEVER put anything of value into my backpack. A good rule of thumb is to never put anything in there you wouldn't be willing to give to the next person you meet.

While I agree with keeping anti-biotics on you at all times, I disagree it should be carried on the backpack. In DayZ people can access your backpack so I NEVER put anything of value into my backpack. A good rule of thumb is to never put anything in there you wouldn't be willing to give to the next person you meet.

You only have that problem if you let people get that close to you. :)

Best tip: Don't ask for tips. Enjoy being new to the game, feel the paranoia, feel the fear, learn the game yourself to get the best experience.

And don't forget:

Never ever give up. You will die a lot. But every new game is a roll of the dice. Enjoy^^

The Marine Corp has a set of rules that apply perfectly to dayz!

1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.

3. Have a plan.

4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.

5. Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)

9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Edited by harley001

C'mon that's cheatin' mate. Make it interesting for the lass, let 'em figure it out on his own.

Meta-gaming is not cheating. It's creating a tactical advantage. It is a tool that is available to every single player should they choose to use it. Your personal decision to not use it doesn't make it "cheating".

Currently I have my perfect set up for traveling: Matches | Axe | Water Bottle 2x | Empty can | Map | Binoculars | GPS | Compass | Antibiotics 2x | Lots of cooked meat and a few other shiny trinkets. Took a while to gather it all but it really does make a difference. That and I travel with a partner so it makes it a bit easier. Generally, Trust no one

You can be friendly but unless you want the hero skin be ready to kill someone if they don't behave that way themselves

And Id keep 'friendly' encounters as brief as possible especially if your giving them medical attention.

Some folk will kill you once they're in a healthier state than when you first met them.

Wary of asking another for blood. Get yourself the means to restore it yourself by hunting and cooking critters. A stash of cooked meat in your bag can help relieve some of the pressure when roaming in cities. You can replenish whatever the Z's take from you on your mission and perhaps survive that hole someone decided to put in your torso. Cans o crap doesn't give you enough to help that much.

Don't drink or eat before you need to. Both a can of soda and beans will fill your icons (not your blood so much) so your wasting them both by drinking or eating before your seriously red. My rule of thumbs is I don't eat or drink until I've found my next source of either. Have an emergency supply in your bag if for some reason consumables are scarce. Z loot can keep fed and watered.

Some say not taking your character seriously and thus a death seriously breaks immersion. I say there is enough crap in the mod that does that anyway so just learn from your mistakes and don't wah wah about losing your life or gear. Have fun, learn, blah blah blah

Get a mic, set up direct chat and talk to someone before they see you unless you just wish to let them go on their way oblivious to your existence.

Don't run out of bandages.

Work hard and be good to your mother.

Edited by RogueNZ
  • Like 1

It's creating a tactical advantage

So is spawning in weapons. Just saying.

If it moves, kill it. I've spent the last 6 months or so trying to be nice to people, and only once have they reciprocated.

Shoot first, ask questions later. Unless you really get the jump on them and can squeeze them a bit.

- Primarys weapons (with a couple exceptions) should be used for shooting players not zombies

- Secondary weapons should only be used when you HAVE to kill zombies because you've gotten yourself backed up into a corner.

- Your feet should always be your first line of defense against zombies, just run away from them. Zombies are pretty ease to lose if you run into a building and out the other side or just dodge around several corners.

- Try to always be observing your surroundings, if you hond down alt you can look around without changing the direction you are facing. Don't let some joker with an axe sneak up on you and ruin your day.

- Try to loot quickly, the more time you spend messing your inventory the less time you are spending observing.

- Try to always have antibiotics, morphine and bandages in your inventory.

- The Lee Enfield is a totally legit gun but you should only fire it at players because it will usually bring more trouble your way in the form of more zombies and players, it's one of the loudest guns in the game.

Clouds go east, keep the shore to your left, dont trust anyone, only shoot if you need to, be very careful when looting in mayjor cities thats all i can think of at the moment Goodluck!

Tip 1: never trust people unless you are a fresh spawn with nothing to lose.

Tip 2: observe towns and villages before entry, if the infected are annoyed (Running around for seemingly no reason) then it often means that a player is in the area.

Tip 3: Always plan scavenging mission's, find a vantage point, plan a route, have a plan B if plan A fail's (Plan A being first plan), if possible, have a friend provide overwatch.

Tip 4: Avoid ghillie-suited payer's, these people are often there to kill fresh spawn's (This applys to anyone with a high power rifle). Also avoid any players who wear a scarf around their head (Or on some server's a german military uniform).

Tip 5: if playing with a friend, have a few backup meeting places in the event that you get lost.

Tip 6: avoid using vehicles near town's such as cherno, these are heatspots for bandits and they will likely kill you if they hear your vehicles motor.

Tip 7: Use caution while on the coast, a new player armed with a simple makarov can take down a heavily armed player with week's of experiance with as little as 4 bullets.

Tip 8: Grab any little oddities you find, a box of storm-matches and a water bottle might seem useless but no, a water bottle can be re-filled at a water source to provide rehydration when drank, matches can be used to make fires along with an axe for wood.

• Like 2

Shoot on sight! NO PRISONERS!, watch them scream for mercy. Ahem, I am sorry. On the subject, you need to shoot on sight, or at least confirm if the person you've met is peaceful. It really safes your skin, oh and always correct them on Ze grammar.

OH und trinken Sie nie THE MOUNTAIN DEW!