jagdfalke@gmail.com

Why this mod is the best thing to happen to PC gaming

I've been caressing the idea that a game could be devious enough to either take exclusive control of the mic, or block the ports of most popular voice chat apps so players can only use the ingame voice chat.

I've been caressing the idea that a game could be devious enough to either take exclusive control of the mic' date=' or block the ports of most popular voice chat apps so players can only use the ingame voice chat.

[/quote']

Caress it no more; doing such would amount to the mod being categorized as malware. There needs to be some self-policing here but I will uninstall anything in a flash that oversteps its boundries as a video game.

I've been caressing the idea that a game could be devious enough to either take exclusive control of the mic' date=' or block the ports of most popular voice chat apps so players can only use the ingame voice chat.

[/quote']

+1 THIS

Although I know a lot of folks that would whine like beaten puppies if it ever happened.

This is a huge argument concerning many different games/mods... the TS/Vent/Mumble "I wanna play with my bros" vs. the in game only "external voip is unfair" crowd. I'm in the second group.

Arma II is a mixed bag -in relation to this mod. It brings a lot of things to the table that most games don't have, including massive scale, realistic weapons modeling and obnoxious physics bugs :-) But hey.. no game is perfect, least of all a mod in its alpha stages.

Show some tolerance for the parts that aren't picture perfect and you'll find a real jewel here. This game brings hard, uncompromising game play that will leave your heart pounding like a jackhammer. It won't appeal to everyone, but thats hardly surprising. In most cases, mass appeal and mediocrity are synonymous.

[/quote']

+1 THIS

Although I know a lot of folks that would whine like beaten puppies if it ever happened.

This is a huge argument concerning many different games/mods... the TS/Vent/Mumble "I wanna play with my bros" vs. the in game only "external voip is unfair" crowd. I'm in the second group.

I guess exclusive control of the mic is the way to go then. I'm not entirely sure if it's possible tho.

Obviously it would have to be a GOOD voice chat.

To the other poster, why would it be a malware? most games do not allow you to run directX/OpenGL injections in your game window (or wallhacks would be ok)

When did it become ok that as long as it's sound it's ok to cheat? :D

Mumble is opensource and has a great sound quality, could be nice to see a game one day partnering with them to create a game that has an EXELLENT ingame voice comm.

Unnecessarily blocking ports, especially without giving me control = direct malware behavior. I could be running an important server on those ports. It doesn't matter if i'm not.

Not really comparable to video driver injection, which isn't useful for anything but recording videos and cheating.

Well then tell me how i can prevent "you" to use teamspeak? Inform you that the game cannot be started if TS is running?

Well then tell me how i can prevent "you" to use teamspeak? Inform you that the game cannot be started if TS is running?

You probably can't.

I didn't say it was a problem that could be fixed, but nobody is going to risk the resultant shit storm of trying to block ports in-game.

Dayz gives me gameplay thrills I haven't had since pre-Ren Ultima Online. Real adventure getting your shit straight, interesting social experiences and no real script to what was going on except what emerged itself as gameplay.

I am very excited to see it developed and can't wait to experience what it turns into.

I think of it as a small scale next gen mmo(ssngmmo).

-No quests killing 8 orcs or collecting 15 rat tails.

-No orcs, elves or squareheaded humans.

-No 1234 rotations.

-Not fantasy, not sci-fi.

-No micro transaction vanity pets.

-Leveling, experience, achievements, abilities are self-acquired or taught by ingame skill trainers(other experienced players) and not just some skill you unlock, buy at a trainer or a +2 stat bonus to map reading. Your achievements are based on your successes, your luck and courage, rather than becomming Master Sharpshooter Sergeant Of the Pwnt Degree from headshotting 9 players, while performing a 360 jump off a moving object.

Frankly, this game is where games should have been at 5 years ago.

BIS arent a large company, neither is their bank accounts...Most major publishers pour money in to marketing and graphical design.

Shareholder interest trumps gaming innovation.

I used to think I was just getting old, and games were good.

I was actually doubting myself...

Then this game came out and proved me correct all along... games nowadays suck.

Thank you to the developers, for proving that simple innovation, trumps all the other BS.

I have nothing fancy to say (i'm drunk and feeling too lazy to think anything too fancy), but i agree with OP completely.

I agree, games dont need amazing graphics to be great.

Arma2 was always a bit buggy and quirky , but this just gives it more character in my opinion, it was one of the best gaming purchases I ever made.

There have been some amazing mods/addons brought out for it over the years.

I think the title is backwards. DayZ shows the strengths of the PC as a gaming platform, quite regularly something new comes out and changes everything. It' almost always starts on the PC.

Hey OP if you have a console, pick up Dark Souls. I can tell you will love it. I feel the same way about games.

its pretty meh for me at the moment, everybody is killing just for the killing, and hackers are everywhere...

If a game can make me go....NOOOO why did i have to die i was so young. And seeing my first zombie made me scream like a girl...then its a badass game

ill be playing this deffently through rest of alpha, beta and release.

its pretty meh for me at the moment' date=' everybody is killing just for the killing, and hackers are everywhere...

[/quote']

I commend you for putting "for me" in there. Most people would simply make a proclamation about the quality of the experience and not indicate that they're speaking of their personal subjective experience.

For many of us, the rampant killing is precisely what makes DayZ great as it provides a constant sense of unease, heightened awareness and uncertainty about our fate. My heart rate is always up when I play DayZ. Even when I'm doing the most mundane things my heart gets going...

As for the hackers, yeah. They suck. But BE is doing a good job sweeping them away a batch at a time, and hopefully as the hype cools off a bit and we hit stride, the frequency will go down. Also assuming ARMA 3 will address some of these issues by controlling what scripting powers are granted to players on MP servers.

Didn't read replies only wish to comment on one point the OP made that I have to disagree with.

Originality is not dead in the industry, just rarer.

Take a look at the vast majority of Indie games out there and you may find the magic of which you speak. Even some of the AAA Games still have that magic but yes the vast majority of them have seemed to lose it.

Double Fine excepted.

Agre fully with OP and a bunch of other folks. This DOES remind me of the early EVE days, and like the OP it reminds me a little of SWG (my other fav sandbox that distracted me from EVE and then was suddenly closed for the crap that is SWTOR... or WOW in space) without a crafting system.

I started playing Arma2 a while back, and mostly multiplayer since i found the campaign boring. I love the patience, the waiting, the tactical nature beyond just run-and-gun. I love the fact you arent running through corridors and hunting for medpacks while your shield recharges or whatever crap mechanic they made to not lose the noob player

Its a bit RPG, its a lot sandbox-MMO-shooter. Its brilliant and a great use of the aging Arma2 engine.

Kudos, and I hope that over time its developed further in terms of what will happen with the A3 engine and hopefully the game will be built with ready-support.

This game sucked me back into gaming and has ruined my flight time in DCS-A10...

Remember the feeling you got when you played your first real PC game? I'm not talking about the likes of minesweeper or solitaire - i'm talking about games like Wolf3D' date=' Doom, Dune, C&C, heck i even remember playing Privateer on an old 486. Back then, gaming was great; magical even, but why? Gameplay was often harsh, the graphics were simple, as were the mechanics and victories were hard earned.

Since that time, many games have come and gone, but precious few have replaced that sense of magic i got playing games 15 years ago. Todays games are the same games i was playing 15 years ago. The graphics and game mechanics are vastly better to what they once were, but the gameplay is still lacking. Somewhere along the way, gameplay was set aside for better looking games and better physics. What we get now are the same games, every year. Originality is dead. Perhaps the best example of just how bad the gaming industry has become is the Call of Duty series. Every year Activision re-releases the exact same game (save for a few new weapons etc.) and laughs all the way to the bank. The Battlefield series isn't much better. Currently i have MOH Tier-1 installed on my PC, but i have never played it. I can't bring myself to even try as i know exactly what i'm in for.

I mentioned earlier that precious few games have restored that sense of magic i got when i first started gaming. Operation Flashpoint happened to be one of those games. The single player campaign in that game was incredibly immersive. Starwars Galaxies (before the CU), my first ever MMO was another. I've been somewhat numb to gaming since then. Often i find myself gaming merely for something to do. There have definitely been games that i have thoroughly enjoyed (mainly the Arma series online and the Total War series), but none i'd consider to have that 'magic'. At least until Day-Z.

But why? What makes it so special? The graphics are hardly cutting edge, the physics are appalling and the character animations are almost cringe worthy. Day-Z falls short in these areas but overcompensates with undoubtedly the most important characteristic of all: gameplay. This game has it in spades. With that fantastic gameplay comes a level of immersion that i haven't experienced since Operation Flashpoint. Playing Day-Z can be harsh and often unrewarding. Not everybody is a winner here. There is no directed gameplay and no thin storyline tacked on as an afterthought. All you have are your [b']own choices, and their consequences. There is magic in this simplicity.

I noticed Rocket mentioned in one of the many threads on this forum, that no publisher would touch this idea for a game. I bet those publishers are watching very closely now. Day-Z has such incredible potential. To Rocket, i thank you. Thank you for restoring some of that gaming 'magic' i've so sorely missed. It feels *really* good to be excited about a game once more, and i hope your mod sees nothing but success. I do hope you continue to develop this. If you decide to charge for the finished product (and you should, you deserve it) i'll happily part with my money. Whatever the case, i'm along for the ride!

I disagree, too much hipster about it.

I agree with the OP, this is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in years. This and Skyrim. The fact that I'm mentioning DayZ (a free mod in Alpha state) with Skyrim says something.