jagdfalke@gmail.com

Why this mod is the best thing to happen to PC gaming

I disagree' date=' too much hipster about it.

[/quote']

Hipsters have money despite themselves, I say let them enjoy their DayZ - it will do more for you than those 80's sunglasses they tend to wear indoors so much. At least be kind to those who make the effort to write in paragraph form.

/signed

Best gaming experience I've had since System Shock 2.

Console gamers don't deserve games this good.

Completely agree with you OP, but the best thing that ever happened to PC was the Baldur's Gate series:)

I think some here are missing the point of what DayZ really is.I have been a big proponent of realism in games even modding my on Stalker game so where I had to eat and then sleep to regain health points(medkits gave no health increase).Felt great to be limping like crazy searching for a safe spot to curl up to regenerate some health back.I had to hunt mutants to eat and counter their radiation with vodka or anti-rads.The vodka was ridiculous because I felt if you drank a liter of vodka to reduce your radiation,that you would be very buzzed.Stalker had a great drunk animation with blurry vision and when you pressed W you would veer left and right and I bumped it up a large amount.It was really fun but the very small maps and mutants/bandits at known locations ruined it.It needed a huge world to explore and survive in and the Stalker world becomes to crazy at end game to play since your attacked by too many creatures at once.I dreamed of someone doing it in A2 but it never was fullfilled even with the Stalker mods of which I tried to hint at them to do.I never even tried any of the Stalker mods for A2 since I knew what I was looking for was not there.And then DayZ appeared where you had to eat and survive with the one life you were given.;)

DayZ itself is what brings the masses.I purchased A2 and then OA and was bored with both in a weeks time.Yes,if your in a group then A2 can be a blast but solo plays it just had no pull at all.So what does DayZ bring....its simply realism.Realism means one life,having to eat,having to drink,having to pack your bag,having to make choices on what to carry,having to avoid bad weather,having to hunt,having to navigate etc etc.For me,the more real Rocket makes the experience the more real it becomes.Go for as much realism as you can cram in and the world becomes more and more believable.

Then you feel connected.I can tell you that I dread playing DayZ after I die.I just do not wanna restart for the 20th time and deal with A2 bugs.Died just now when I switched to throwing cans while surrounded by zeds.But every time I force myself and soon start to get dehydrated and my hunger is rising,I just connect right back in to the game.I gotta get my priorities straight here...ok find some food and hopefully a weapon.:)

For me' date='the more real Rocket makes the experience the more real it becomes.Go for as much realism as you can cram in and the world becomes more and more believable.

[/quote']

I agree with you in spirit, I think, but it feels to me DayZ is more about simulating a survival experience. The more realistic it becomes for the sake of being realistic, the more mundane it will likely be.

Idk if anyone has mentioned it. But If this type of gameplay does get mainstreamed! It will be a cycle all over again. Just like Halo pretty much made FPS gaming on the console. For now it is and i agree the best thing for the PC. But in the long run i hope devs just branch off from this idea and make new ones rather than use the same concept that inevitably a hand full of IP's will use in the future.

Sometimes the popular and successful games come out of a simple mod. CounterStrike is one of the most played online FPSers of all time.

I think this game will even appeal to those that are not into a FFA no penalty system. I am not at all into them. I think they are unforgiving to hard working people and rewarding more to pvpers out to take gear, however THAT is the exciting part! When I hear a rustle in the woods or a distant gunshot it reminds me why I play.

You might be over reacting, it is though the most original and fun concept of a zombie game i've ever played. I don't know why the dev chose zombies, but he seems to get the point of them.

Best thing to happen to PC gaming this decade was the success of digital downloads (and arguably that is mainly Steams doing). Imagine actually trying to get hold of a physical copy of ARMA2 to play Dayz today. I dont know about you but the PC game sections of Australian stores are anemic.

good post I am sure almost everyone on here agrees wholeheartedly. This is the MOST fun I have had with a pc game for a long while.

This epic new concept of a survival game could take form on multiple platforms. Bring it to the consoles gamers as well.

Got old pretty fast to me due to the problems with the engine (can't strafe through doorways etc) and the inherent brokenness of direct chat which is why I and many other people bought the game to play this :\

You can't strafe through doorways because your gun is in the way.

Directional chat has never choked up for me... Perhaps you played on a server that revoked the ability to use Direct Chat... Which is retarded yes... but some servers do it.

If you been gaming for a long time most series yes are not going to spark anything because you seen that, done that. There are many games out there that come out every year that try something new or just somehow has that spark. You just got to look.Day Z isn't the first original game since Doom.

CoD and FPS games give that magic for some people. They enjoy it with friends and are willing to show that by how much money they put towards it every year. Eventually they will to move on to other genres. I grew up playing in the RTS age. Where every damn new game was a RTS. I got sick of them, but now people look back those games as masterpieces. I would say most of them were.

Just a obligatory CoD and FPS games aren't ruining anything about videogames.

I can see a goldmine of potential micro transactions within this game, but it needs to move away from arma if it is ever going to get off the ground as a stand alone. It needs its own engine, tailor made to incorporate all of the atmospheric factors which effect ones ability to survive. It needs great artwork to truly capture the sense of an apocalypse and make the game world worth exploring. It needs more zombie variations (give me a reason to use my 300 .50 rounds)...I could drone on all day about this.

I hope they go the money making route because that is how great games get made.