Sign in to follow this  
Ripred49

SA suggestion for zombie movement

The thing that makes zombies look and feel so fake is the fact that they have a 0-60mph time of less than that of a Bugatti Veyron. Perhaps (PERHAPS!) if maybe it took a few seconds from them to go from walking to fast walking (2 seconds) to running (2 seconds) to all-out sprinting (3 seconds) they would look a lot more realistic. Basically 7 seconds to go from walking to sprinting. Honestly, this would make them look and seem a lot more real, because, unless Chernarus was inhabited by Olympic track runners, no person or zombie could ever achieve such quick speed in so little time.

This suggestion is primarily for the standalone but could definitely be used in the mod and another thing... perhaps the zombies shouldn't go full speed in houses. Not saying they can only walk, but they shouldn't go full cheetah in a frickin kitchen.

Edited by Ripred49
  • Like 19

Agreed. I know they're going to improve from what we've seen in the demo's but it remains to be seen how much. They always look as if they're on fast forward to me. Gonna be interesting to see the end result.

• Like 4

Maybe they could have a sort animation when they notice you, like the infected in Dead Island? Say they screeched or moaned really frickin loud and flailed their arms n shit. And after that they don't just go full sprint to 20 km/h in .04 seconds, they gradually build up speed until they are at the average zombie terminal velocity or some shit like that.

This is a noice suggestion, it's a simple idea, but it'll make a world uh difference when it comes to immersion n shit.

• Like 5

The internets. You can have them.

It's a nice suggestion that actually makes sense. In most games/movies, the zombies do at first turn towards you

and maybe stumble a couple steps as if trying to figure out if they're hungry or not. And then the chase begins.

• Like 2

I like this idea, but it would be great if they could go 0-60mph while crawling. That would be terrifying.

• Like 3

So if a zombie spots me and I see him, I can actually outrun him? Blasphemy. :)

• Like 1

world war z zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you fucking dare.

• Like 2

having watched the dev video on the motion capture it would seem that the use of 3 distinct phases of zombie movement are still being applied.

the inert phase. the aggro phase, and the attack phase. I dont see why it wouldn't be possible to blend the first 2 phases but then i know bugger all about motion capture or coding..

I agree they dont look good going from amble along to ful sprint on an instant.. but if this is pne of those things that has to stay so more time and resources can go into other more important things I wont lose any sleep.

• Like 2

What if they made zombies slower, but in turn increased the amount of them. So instead of a few zombies in the street that run fast it would be a mob of zombies that move a little slower than the jog animation for characters. Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

That would work, but it requires more computing power. That's the only problem with it though.

This suggestion is primarily for the standalone but could definitely be used in the mod and another thing... perhaps the zombies shouldn't go full speed in houses. Not saying they can only walk, but they shouldn't go full cheetah in a frickin kitchen.

You're right on this one. The full speed causes the zombies going through walls and that's really bad. Jogging speed inside houses should be enough for zombies.

• Like 1

I'll be happy if the zombies don't sound retarded.

He said at the Rezzed conference that they will be changing the sounds but that won't happen until a bit into the alpha because it's not a main priority.

i want zombies sound more of beasts than humans, at night time zombies could have these long, loud moans with a bit rattling throats, because of blood and spit. also the sounds could be in really low freguency rather than these high pitch zombies that sound liek they are more screaming than roaring, I want more Roar's that sounds alot more scary, also very heavy fast paced breathing when chasing its pray and also roaring at the same time, with a scratchy voice. also zombies could have some "getting hit moans or roars" rather than "Ah fuck that hurts" :D

so:

-scratchy voice

-long rattling moans at night time

-heavy breathing (fast paced when running),

-low freguency tone voice acting unlike current dayzmod zombies

-getting hit sounds

These could give zombies more beast like behaving and make them more scary, thats ofc my opinion.

• Like 1

Perhaps long rattling moans after eating someone? I like the low frequency idea and the getting hit ideas too. I don't really get the whole scratchy voice idea, considering they won't really be talking. Overall pretty good suggestion though.

I agree with the OP but as nothing's final yet I think we need to wait and see how much they improve before the alpha before making these suggestions.

Also, the new player animations are great but they look a bit clunky because you instantly go from standing still in to full walking pace or into a full sprint. There needs to be a different animation for the first few steps between standing, walking and running to smooth everything out, but again we need to wait and see what they're like in the alpha build.

• Like 1

Perhaps long rattling moans after eating someone? I like the low frequency idea and the getting hit ideas too. I don't really get the whole scratchy voice idea, considering they won't really be talking. Overall pretty good suggestion though.

Zombies need to have scartchy voice ofc they are not saying anything but all the moans and stuff would sound alot more Dead like.

• Like 1

i think this is kinda at the fault of bad animation. it goes the same for player characters too. as soon as you stop from a run you char snaps to its idle state. its the same thing in arma 3 so if they dont have in between animations on that game then i dont really have much hope for dayz. thats ok tho.

I am looking foward to see a lot of brand new animations and sounds to the gameplay,we can only put our trusts on dayz dev team. do not disappoint us!

I would just like to restate that it is not the animations I am worried about or even talking about. It's the swiftness of the zombie's speed-up, not the animation. I can't say for sure whether the animations are bad or not, but I'm positive that their acceleration is absurd.

The zeds need to be a threat , what ever it takes , they need to be threatening .

They should at the very least , be able to do what the players do .

Edited by Jars

The zeds need to be a threat , what ever it takes , they need to be threatening .

They should at the very least , be able to do what the players do .

Well, they can't do half of what the players can do, so I'm not really sure of your point here. Are you saying that this would take away their ability to be threatening?

They need to be ale to run as fast , accelerate as fast , or even be able to sprint , just as players do .

It would be nice if they could jump fences , but perhaps that's beyond their ability .

• Like 1