WBK

Third party VoIP - yes or no?

Third party VoIP - yes or no?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should third-party VOIP programs (like TeamSpeak) be allowed in the SA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but it should be server-specific, not global

At the time of posting, I had no idea as to how possible/impossible this was to do technically. I've got a fairly rough idea now, and suffice to say I don't think 3P-VoIP will be going. So this is more to gauge people's opinions on it as opposed to demanding change or me bashing people who use TeamSpeak or likewise.

Hey guys. Just wondering what everyone thinks on the whole towards this issue. I'm a firm believer in realism, and I don't think anyone should be able to communicate with their friends on the other side of the map, but that's just me.

I really hope that there are three direct communication channels in the SA: Whisper (5-10m range), Talk (40-50m range) and Shout/Yell (200-300m range). There would also be a radio channel that could come with a headset (whisper radius), or no headset (talk radius), which could communicate across Chernarus. This is at the very least being considered by Rocket and the team and I think this would be cool, as well as realistic. You could call for help at your own peril, or plan an attack on a new member in your group while he's 20 metres ahead of you. They might take a step back though and start listening to what you're saying. *cue Law & Order dum dum*

The first isn't possible currently with either DayZ comms (apart from side chat) or 3P-VoIP. The second is possible with 3P-VoIP. If it was on DayZ however, it would add an element to team play. Everyone would stay close to each other, and be suspicious of every time someone went on lookout, or grabbed some gear with another person.

It's just a few examples of why I think it should be banned, but mainly because no one should be able to communicate 100% effectively with another player with a third player 5 metres from them, or communicate across a map.

Love to hear the thoughts of the community at large though!

Edited by WBK
  • Like 3

Servers specifically for this would be good. Globally? No. I like to screw around with friends.

• Like 1

Whisper (5-10m range), Talk (40-50m range) and Shout/Yell (200-300m range).

you talk over 50m?! shouting 300m!!? these numbers all are far too high ;)

however, this is something you really can not prevent. and i guess if they would try so, ppl would be pissed because the game would interfere with your system outside of the game.

did you see the recent news? i think've you missed something http://dayzmod.com/f...eloper-session/

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Servers specifically for this would be good. Globally? No. I like to screw around with friends.

Thanks to you I have to edit the poll now!

• Like 1

you talk over 50m?! shouting 300m!!? these numbers all are far too high ;)

You don't? :P

Yeah it's a touch unrealistic, but more authentic. That's right, I went there. Realism calls for a 30cm whisper channel and 5 metre talk channel. I think the shout is realistic, I am imagining it more of a coo-ee/emergency style yell as opposed to something just louder than talking.

I voted for the thiird option as it would be cool to have the option of going on servers with a no teamspeak poilicy.

Problem is i dont see how you could possibly enforce it.

Exactly.

There is no way to prevent players from using third-party VoIP programs, like TeamSpeak and Skype.

Yeah I'm not that knowledgeable about computers, so I don't know to what extent programs or servers can block other programs. But when Inception ruined the poll with his bloody post I had to add another option! - Kidding Inception :)

the game could encrypt your mic-input and only decrypt it correctly ingame for the period of time, the SA is running. how hilarious would that be.... but i guess this is just a too sensitive issue.

edit: but of course it would be for the good of the game.

Edited by joe_mcentire

It just depends on what player you are.

I think there are 2 kinds of players: those who see it as pvp game, and those who see it as survival game.

Those who see it as pvp game take more risks, die more quickly, and if possible run back to their dead body to recollect gear. These people want third party voip.

The people who play it for survival and realism probably don't.

Yes, it's not possible or fair to the players to be restricted like that.

Edited by Beck

So just to get things clear: The SA itself wouldn't be able to block the programs, or just the servers wouldn't be able to?

Not asking for the pros and cons of either, just a simple answer.

This game is more fun playing with friends so no way this should be forced on people, not that I think it can.

Plus there are many unrealistic elements besides people being able to talk with each other across the map.

If you want to play without teampspeak/skype etc. that's your choice and I'm sure a few servers could set up this way but again you are relying on people's word.

So just to get things clear: The SA itself wouldn't be able to block the programs, or just the servers wouldn't be able to?

Not asking for the pros and cons of either, just a simple answer.

Technically possible but highly questionable,If they tried to block a third party program from running on your pc it would essentially be a form of malware, maybe they could get around it with the terms and conditions but there would a shit load of outcry about it.

And even if they did implement it, it would be futile, one simple way to bypass it is to use teamspeak on a mobile phone or tablet.

Technically possible but highly questionable,If they tried to block a third party program from running on your pc it would essentially be a form of malware, maybe they could get around it with the terms and conditions but there would a shit load of outcry about it.

And even if they did implement it, it would be futile, one simple way to bypass it is to use teamspeak on a mobile phone or tablet.

OK, thanks Flux!

Yeah, as others have suggested, this is basically unenforceable, even if there was a desire to do so.

Even if there was some way of blocking Teamspeak/Ventrilo/whatever your voip of choice is and the players couldn't/wouldn't use an app on their phones to do the same thing, it would take all of about a week for some clever programmer to come up with a 5mb download that would provide a way around the system.

Personally, I don't see it as a problem - it's gaming, and people like to do it with their friends. I don't see how stopping them (or trying to stop them) chatting to each other while they're playing can ever be a good thing.

• Like 1

I understand why someone might have an issue with it but personally it doesn't bother me, just think of it as a group of friends get separated amongst the zombie apocalypse, luckily for them they always carry around special services style radio's tuned to a frequency that looks suspiciously like a teamspeak ip address :D

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11339

Everything you need, right there.

. Realistic in game radios.

. Connects with TS3 in a push-to-talk type method.

. Have different radio channels depending on how many channels you have in TS3 i.e 3-4 different channels would be set to different frequencies.

Keeps the ability to talk across map while bringing more realism to comms, also stops teams from speaking over each other in firefights, something I have experienced one too many times.

I understand why someone might have an issue with it but personally it doesn't bother me, just think of it as a group of friends get separated amongst the zombie apocalypse, luckily for them they always carry around special services style radio's tuned to a frequency that looks suspiciously like a teamspeak ip address :D

Exactly. As good as DayZ is (and will be once the SA hits), it's still going to be a game, and with that comes all the baggage that playing a game online brings - bad losers will ragequit when you kill them, idiots will run around guns blazing like it's Call of Duty: the MMO, and competitive types will use every loophole, glitch and exploit they can to give them that little edge over other players. These are all pretty much inescapable issues with online games, and to date no-one's come up with a way of preventing them - merely ways of reducing their impact.

The point is, no matter how realistic and engrossing the in-game world is, it's still a game, and as such there are going to be things that we need to accept as 'acceptable breaks from immersion'. For me, Teamspeak etc falls under that.

http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=11339

Everything you need, right there.

. Realistic in game radios.

. Connects with TS3 in a push-to-talk type method.

. Have different radio channels depending on how many channels you have in TS3 i.e 3-4 different channels would be set to different frequencies.

Keeps the ability to talk across map while bringing more realism to comms, also stops teams from speaking over each other in firefights, something I have experienced one too many times.

Such a system is being added to the game already anyway. They even mentioned the name "ACRE" as praising that mod that such a system will be added to the game.

On principle, no, realistically, yes.

I like the idea of being split up from your friends and having no idea where they are but it's also fun to be able to talk with them. For the sake of immersion though I would probably just use in game chat, at most only using skype to meet up but then it's off.

This whole discussion, subject, issue, debate, is pointless and useless. There is NO WAY to enforce such a policy. And there is NO REASON why I should not be allowed to talk with my friends playing this game (whether they are in the game or not).

Any form of trying to prevent third party VOIP is a form of censorship and will end badly for all parties involved.

To the people who think that third party VOIP programs break realism, if you want realism, go out in the real world and play games. Paint-ball, hunting, fishing, camping, target-shooting. You cannot get more real than that. For a game, realism is great, but only to a certain point. After a certain point, realism starts affecting game-play ability.

You want realism in this game, then repairing vehicles and choppers will take you DAYS/MONTHS to fix. Healing from a gun shot will take MONTHS to heal properly (not to mention a broken bone).

So please. STOP THINKING that this would be good for the game and let this non-issue die.

Tek, firstly I want to say that you raise some valid points and are in line with the thinking of the majority of the community. But my post clearly states that this isn't a petition of any kind; I'm not trying to get rid of TeamSpeak etc. I'm just gauging the opinion of the general population of those who play DayZ. You have a different opinion to me, I have a different opinion to most everyone. That's cool. You got a bit agro there though - caps is never a good look when arguing something - so I just want to reply to some things you said.

There is NO WAY to enforce such a policy.

I know that now, but as clearly stated in the opening post I did not when I started this thread.

- there is NO REASON why I should not be allowed to talk with my friends playing this game

- You want realism in this game, then repairing vehicles and choppers will take you DAYS/MONTHS to fix. Healing from a gun shot will take MONTHS to heal properly (not to mention a broken bone).

- For a game, realism is great, but only to a certain point. After a certain point, realism starts affecting game-play ability.

Actually there is a reason. DayZ is as much a simulator as a game. The extent to which it simulates an experience is up to the community and ultimately the devs. Realism has differing degrees, and anyone will agree that not all things that are realistic increase immersion. In that vein, chatting over a map IMO ruins immersion far more than being able to repair a car in 15 seconds (after scouring for the necessary parts for 4 hours). So that's why I asked - before knowing that it was, for all intents and purposes, impossible to remove - whether people liked 3P VoIP. Assuming it was possible and no censorship qualms arose, if people decide it's a strict simulation, then it shouldn't be allowed. If people decide otherwise as they have, then it should be allowed. Simple as that.

Edited by WBK
  • Like 1

Agreed with the threadstarter above - there's no harm in discussion about the various possibilities, opinions and feelings about something like this - it creates interesting debate and a chance to consider other points of view. As pretty much everyone has agreed, there's no way of enforcing such a thing, so any debates are entirely theoretical and there's no need to get angry about the fact that the discussion is taking place - if you're fed up with discussing it or feel the discussion has no point, give the thread a miss, it's easy enough. :)

Edited by Target Practice