Sign in to follow this  
Farkinob

Music, weather, and zombie farming for Standalone

Music needs to be added to the Stand Alone. It would be very simple and effective way to implement it. Say you add only about 10 or so music files, you can make them play from a sound source and it wouldn't take up much computer power or bandwidth. Here is what you could do:

1. Round up zombies: I always like to use the Walking Dead example. Now that zombies are fast even in buildings, looting is going to be hard. And making a bunch of unusual noise would make it very easy when you are looting a store.
  2. The music choices can be limited: In eastern europe, cassettes are key. Classic music may be uncopyrighted, and getting rights to popular cold-war soundtracks would be very easy. You could have different rarities, with the ultrarare being the "trololo song"
  3. Draw attention and add more to skirmish mechanics. We can all tell stories about how a vehicle goes about honking like mad. It will stop this unrealistic mechanic.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QoR056qD9zw (Merle Dixon's Assault on the Governor's Crew with Car + Zombies)

Weather needs to be more dynamic and interactive. It would force players to change their gameplay tactics dramatically. Rains alot? You might want to shelter yourself to prevent rust, jams. Cars can drive through mud after it rains. Here's the list:

1. Cars. Raining is very important for immersion, turn on the windshield wipers to see, it rains it will be harder to drive (rain drops and all). You'd need more loot. Also, that cool mud you've been building up driving through the woods in your offroad? Gone, that shine is going to make it easier for enemies to spot your car. Handling will be more difficult and (gulp) you could even get stuck. I know this is possible due to existing games.
  2. Traveling on foot. Obviously would make you more prone to infections. Your fires would burn out in the rain (no cooking tonight!) , and you might get trench foot if you don't change your socks often enough. Your clothes would get ragged and you could slip if you run too fast.
  3. Immersion. It's the apocalypse after all, it shouldn't always be sunny. The occasional thunderstorm should happen and the lightning could strike helicopters in the air - there it forces end-gamers to not use their choppers all the time and poses some risk and possibly some saftey for others. It would be interesting and unique for lightning to strike churches, lightning rods, radio towers, etc. It could also hamper radio communication to make it more staticy.

http://www.scifun.ed...s/lightning.jpg (Plane being struck by lightning)

Farming Zombies: When clans are established, collecting zombies would be all too popular. It would add another element to the game, and Rocket's idea of aging zombies would have be important to people collecting zombies as if they wait too long, the zombies could become useless. Again, I point to the walking dead.

http://youtu.be/0Tf3NHTSBoI?t=1m55s (Breadvan filled with zombies during assault on prison)

I hope that some of these suggestions are added to the game, I really want DayZ to be a dynamic experience filled with risks and sometimes very unlucky events that would win the heart of players. I can picture a group of bandits attacking a survivor crew with a chopper now and it just being struck out of the air by lightning!

Edited by Farkinob
  • Like 1

I want a radio so I'm not bored driving 9km with no sounds...

• Like 2

They're adding live streaming internet radio so that'll be cool. As long as you find a radio in game. Weather will be more important in the SA too.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

They're adding live streaming internet radio

Standalone confirmed to be awesome.

• Like 2

Ok, I can't read that blue text. AT ALL.

Anyway, I think radios in cars and cassette players would be a good idea. You can use the music to attract zeds, like turning up an old car radio all the way and running away. Of course, unless Green Mountain had power, or the various other radio stations around Chernarus, you'd get only very loud static.

Then, you can just drive around with a radio on if the radio station is on, or play a cassette if you have one. Also, if someone crashes their car and dies, imagine trying to get the loot in the car with all the zeds swarming around it from the noise.

• Like 2

I couldn't read the red or the blue text, that's why my answer was so short. The yellow was interesting though.

I think it'd be cool to see players running their own radio shows. Think Galaxy News Radio-esque broadcasts a la Fallout 3 ;)

These are all pretty cool ideas, beans given. :)

• Like 2

Can you explain what you mean by, "Zombie farming" ? Calling it farming implies you're trying to get something out of the zombis, right?

Anyway:

Can't wait to box a bunch of zombies into an alley with my car, attract some "Friendly" players over, move the car, and watch them run with the legs I just broke.

I think by 'farming', he's referring to storing them and using them as biological weapons against other survivors. If this was done right it could lead to loads of unique and cool scenarios, though I can see trolls flooding people's bases with zombies just for the lolz.

im not sure what your saying about zombie farming and the blue was hard to read but mud would be cool and the lightning actually having an effect would be cool

They're adding live streaming internet radio so that'll be cool. As long as you find a radio in game. Weather will be more important in the SA too.

Though hard to read I like all your ideas farkinob. ^ Fraggle +1 and below is an arma radio by Clayman that can be used on your servers until SA comes out.

FF to 0:51

http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=6688

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 2

I think it'd be cool to see players running their own radio shows. Think Galaxy News Radio-esque broadcasts a la Fallout 3 ;)

These are all pretty cool ideas, beans given. :)

99X

BANG!

The future of rock and roll....

I hope it will only be Radio Moscow lol

Edited by Enforcer

Well, if we actually sit down and think about the implications of radio a bit there's actually some very interesting interplay going on here. If we can improve/build unique structures, then the Green Mountain radio tower could be the only place where you can broadcast to the entire island. You might first have to repair it, though, and once people know you're on the hill they might come looking. Since there are plans to add in handheld radios for players it could be that they have a very limited range; only Green Mountain can reach everyone. A few scenarios are running through my mind with this:

-- I have two radios, set them both to my shortwave channel and place one by the larger radio station and run off a bit, watching the broadcast booth and doing my show. If someone shows up and discovers there's only a radio in there they've fallen right into my trap...

-- A particular server might actually like certain people being on the radio, maybe they have a talent for it. Newer players might run up there for the free kill but run into the broadcaster's little gang of bodyguards. Maybe people can even pay the broadcaster to help them out, put out an ad for someone who's looking for a particular vehicle part, someone who found a cache of antibiotics or weapons, etc. etc.

Lot of possibilities. It also brings up another idea that could inject more objective-based gameplay into the game. If you have specific points or buildings that are strategically or otherwise important then you've given players a reason to travel to them. Like airbases are now, you create hotspots just by making certain areas unique. I've seen it suggested in other threads but if, for instance, you can turn on the lights in towns by fixing power generators now you've got a goal. Provide power to the entire island for your server (something survivors [not bandits, really] might want to do) by fixing up the biggest power plant. Now you've got a reason to defend that area; you fixed it up, it took you time and resources. Since you're defending that area, barricading it up and hoping people from different time zones are there to keep it running, it's a good place for new players to seek out and find like-minded individuals. Collect gasoline to keep it running. Then have a running score each month/week for each server to see who can keep the lights on the longest.

Did we just create a player-made settlement?

These areas don't even have to really be all that important, just someplace interesting that has some interactive possibilities. A radio tower, power generators, isolated cabins, the ramshackle castle (put a spotlight up there...) a bunker. Hell you could even have each server have a certain amount of fuel until the server restart. Now you can monopolize transportation. Put in safes scattered around that let the first player that gets to them set up a simple combination; 1-9, 4 numbers would probably be about right so people can reasonably be expected to crack them. All you have to do to set player goals is put out stuff that lets the player interact and invest time for a realistic benefit.

As for music, someone on the Russian thread suggested you could find MP3 players and have a feature where you could put your own music files into the game for whenever you listen to one.

I also think we really need to include paper and pens. Make your own notes for other players, stick flyers around your server, etc.

Edited by PWNtrooper
  • Like 1

Ya know that the plane, the pics of which you gave, was just fine after the issue just like before that happened..? I'm kinda sure that the same thing would occur with a "gunship/chopper" lol.. =) But the "wind factor" I think would be more dangerous for such vehicles.. If there is a storm out there, you would then not really want to get into it with a flying vehicle lol

Edited by SoulHunter

Perhaps using zombies to flush out campers inside a stronghold with a Zombie Farming mechanic?

Definitely something I could see Rocket wanting to implement, maybe being able to craft some kind of zombie repellent for a small duration aswell?

Tons of things that can make this game amazing, I just love seeing what new ideas people come up with