PooPoo

Do you just kill anyone you don't know?

Try to engage over direct chat out of their sight and go from there.. either run away or give them a chance to interact peacefully.

Die a lot. Doesn't concern me much. I'm a lone wolf medic which is a hard road to travel but its how I like to play, which, I guess is the beauty of Dayz; in that you can play how you wish and the key is to deal with the results of your actions (or inaction) and have fun.

• Like 2

So I'm new to DayZ. Have had it for about a week now and finally got the hang of things like how to scavenge properly and get guns quickly. Ran into my first armed human the other day while I was scavenging and he started shooting at me. I tried to run and he saw this but still tried to shoot me. Later died from zombies. I remember seeing some DayZ youtube videos called Don't trust anyone or something like that where they trust someone and they die. Thought it was all for jokes and fun.

So I kept playing "nice" ran into one guy in a tower. Zombies were coming up the stairs and we were holding off at the stairwell. I kept trying to go up and he was firing some revolver shots and blocking the way. I got hit a couple times so I turned around and killed the zombies. I got the distinct feeling he was trying to let zombies kill me by blocking the stairwell so I turned around and killed him. When I looted his body I found out he had no ammo, if he did he probably would have killed me, but since he didn't he was hoping blocking me would get me killed by zombies.

After that I ran into 2 more people but just killed them ASAP. Is this considered BM or something??? Or is it just the norm?

It's normal to kill anyone you come in contact with. It's natural instinct, trust nobody, because although they say they'll help you out, give you a blood bag etc. They won't and chances are never will don't take chances, unless you really have to. Yeah I know I sound like a douche sayin' killing people is okay. But DayZ is way too risky to trust people, especially since the community is increasing, and some of these people are from CoD and love to be trolls. Finding a teamspeak, and sticking with a group of friends is a good idea. People constantly asking to team up in Skype are really annoying (sorry ;3; Side chat get's crowded though!)

If someone tells "friendly!" on the chat, this actually means "I have not played Arma 2 enough to kill you face to face, so I will kill you from behind."

No, I don't kill everybody I don't know. Only if they are hostile.

Often I *want* to kill people I don't know ('cause I'm afraid that they're hostile) but then I don't. Often I feel the panic inside (and I hear the little voice in my head telling me to 'murder them all, 'cause they're going to shoot at me, probably') but I always try to resist this feeling. I'd like to first make sure that they're hostile before I start shooting. It's the waiting game, waiting for the right moment; making the right decision, that's just nerve-racking in this mod.

Just the other day, me and my mate are fixing a car beside a road. I hear a vehicle coming our way and fear takes control of my stomach. I shout "vehicle, vehicle' on TS and me and my mate take cover. An UAZ with two guys inside drives by, high speed. All the time we've got them in our crosshairs. They see our car, they stop and turn. Then they drive towards us.

I tell them in direct to 'move along, move along'. Then they ask me: 'friendly?'. "Yeah, we're friendly" I tell them. But I don't trust them. I know I can kill them both, they're still sitting in their car and I'm aiming my G36 right at them. My friend has a good position and has his DMR aimed at them too. Then they turn the car, like they want to drive away, but one of them gets out. I'm thinking: this is not good. This is not good at all. So I'm getting ready to shoot him (it's all happening in seconds). Then the car suddenly drives away from us with the guy on foot running behind it. Finally he gets back inside the vehicle with his friend. I keep them in my crosshair, but I don't fire. I keep aiming at them until I can't see them anymore.

Those two guys came so close to dying there and then, they don't even know. I'm just saying, it would have been so easy for us to murder them there and then. But we didn't. It's more fun this way. More skills needed IMO.

Edited by Elias
  • Like 3

Generally speaking, I try not to kill people. But if a player has a weapon and I think he has or may see me or my friends, and therefore pose a threat to our group, I will not hesitate to light him up.

I do surrender animation, tell im friendly and how can i prove myself is that hes still alive (if im carrying a gun) then i get shot to the head.

It's a game there are no ethical or moral values involved... Let the lead fly.... Kill or be killed.

Just do what you want to do according to the play style you want to develop and what makes you feel "right." Personally, I won't shoot anybody without a bandit skin unless they shoot first.

And they have to hit me too, because I don't want the humanity hit for murdering them.

It's usually better if they get the kill on me anyway because I prefer they earn a bandit skin for their misconduct. That way they're just a KOS to me later and provide a legit PvP target.

I'm not a gear collector and make do with a Lee or Winchester, which are easily found. I keep survival gear in stashes, making runs for rifles, matches, knives and hatchets when the server population is low. Not too easy with the new zeds. But basically dying doesn't bother me much because I never lose "important" gear.

A bandit "robbing" me is a joke. Why the hell would I give a bandit anything? We ain't playing "Robin Hood" here and I ain't Maid Marian either Any treachery I can use against a bandit, I'll use it. They're free kills. If they kill me, so be it. That's how it goes.

If a survivor or hero tries it, I'll just run. If they kill me, so be it. Puts them further on down the trail to banditry, giving me another target.

If I sound like a hard-ass, just accept that and move along.

But while I'm here I'll ask if anybody thinks this a good plan for playing.

Because it's just a plan.

I haven't played much yet. First time I was shot dead on the beach a couple minutes after spawning.

Then I spent a few hours collecting gear when the server was down to 1-2 players.

I'm scared man, I'm scared.

But the "plan" above shouldn't take much skill. And I don't have much.

Killed 5 people in my months of dayz. Most of those 5 kills were accidental friend kills.

I don't kill people on purpose so that's why I die all the time. I refuse to become a bandit like most people.

I've only tried to kill another player once.

I was playing Breaking Point and had just entered Elektro when I heard the roar of a Bloodsucker.Sure enough,it came sprinting at me a moment later and I had to run for my life.I was running towards the east fire station when I saw two players off to my left,moving in the same direction.I got up on the roof to avoid the Bloodsucker and after a minute or so,they came up through the ladder glitch.One of them had a bandit skin and I was now trapped between two players who would likely kill me and a monster that would definately kill me.Knowing I was screwed,I emptied a clip from my pistol into the nearest one and jumped off to my death.I'd like to think things would have gone better for me had I either not fired or really made an effort to kill them but all I wanted was to make sure my gear was that bit harder to obtain,what with all the zombies crowding below us.

haha played some more DayZ and tried to be a good guy. Some dude was shooting at me from behind. I yelled friendly and ran away. He then chased me into the fire hall. He was clearly an idiot since he saw I had an Ak-47 Kobra and he had a pistol. I just camped at the stairs and when I saw him just unloaded. Second time I was running into the fire hall after dying to zombies and some dude was shooting at me with a pistol. Yelled friendly again but he chased me. Luckily for me there was an M4 on one of the levels so I just camped and waited for him to come up.

I really would like to be "friendly" towards other players, but it seems like others would like to kill on sight rather than be friendly

Poopoo I like what you did, some people just want to say they can get kills or have gotten them

I recently killed my first hero in a similar situation as I told him to leave with his friends truck ( after I attracted zombies towards his bandit friend and got him killed)

As I didn't want to shoot a hero but turns out he was a fake hero who spammed bloodbags anyway

He didn't leave, climbed onto a roof so I shot him and destroyed their truck

I have him multiple warnings to leave as it wa only his bandit friend I was hunting ( he shot an unarmed player asking for a bloodbag)

And vicco my playstyle is similar, bandits are killed on sight , however I will shoot anyone that does something suspicious or keeps aiming at me when I tell then not to but I try not to get more than 2 kills down from 2500 humanity and if I do I head out north for a while looking for camps and re supplying my own until I gain enough humanity back as to not get a bandit skin

There are three reasons to kill:

1: "That's a nice gun, man. It will be mine"

2: "Man, he looks/ they are looking pretty dangerous, we don't trust them/ it's too risky. No retreating. Let's be the first to open fire."

(or these guys that are surprisingly standing in front of you while aiming at your head and after being shot they whine: "Why did you kill me, triggerhappy kiddie? Learn playing, bambie... blabla")

3: "Die ya pesky Bandit!"

It's what everyone does these days, yes. What I tend to do is unless the person notices me or opposes a threat to me and my group, then I leave them alone. If I need their loot I'll try to rob them, if it doesn't work I'll kill them.

Evil sloth

Of course I shoot anyone I don't know.

Are you standing up? I'll shoot ya.

Are you crouching? I'll shoot ya.

Are you prone? I'll shoot ya.

Wearing clothes? I'll shoot ya.

Yelling at me that you're friendly? I'll shoot ya.

Are you my friend whom I've been trading and looting with for the past week? I'll shoot ya.

Unarmed, weapon-less and inexperienced? I probably won't shoot ya.

Pregnant? I'll shoot ya.

Bandit? I'll shoot ya, in the legs.

Actually, no. I told a lie. I only shoot if You have a gun pointed at me, or you have a cloth around your face.

I am very concerned...

The goal of the new update was to encourage players working together, because the enviroment became more hostile.

Well been playing ever since the update is out, and the player kills did not stop. In fact, it got worse.

The devs kinda misunderstood basic human nature. If there is pleanty goods, medium threat from the enviroment, then players will some times kill each other for fun (or just becaus, since you know, human nature). But now that everything is trying to kill you and supplies are harder to come by, players kill not for fun, but because they want to /need to.

It is always like this. Whenever there is less of something to share, people become animals, and do whatever to stay alive. This is happening in DayZ right now. Everyone becomes a killer, becase it is easier to get the supplies from someones corpse, then an infested town part.

Me? I'm still a good guy. I never shoot, always run away, get killed a lot. It's how it goes.These are my facts. Since the update I have met around 7 people, from that 6 tried to kill me, 1 offered help.

Edited by LordDante

I am generally friendly. Except to people in Bandit Skin. What I do to minimize risk is: WHen I am on a scavenging run I take only with me what I absolutely need for it, which would be a Hatchet/Crowbar/Machete, a Map, some food and drink, a backpack, some bandages. And that's it. No Ghillie no fancy weapons that make me look like a target that's worth shooting.

So far that works pretty good. Most people are friendly or at least neutral if you don't look like someone that could kill them if they'd ignore me.

In the year I've been playing this game I have never killed another player. So that would be a "no" to your question, friend. :thumbsup:

So ignore anyone who says that's what everyone does, it isn't.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

I find it more interesting to try and interact with people than to just shoot them. Shooting them can happen in any game, but this is a game about surviving the zombie apocalypse. As I see it, irl you wouldn't want to survive the zombie apocalypse by yourself, killing every zombie and healthy human you see before you. I suppose I can understand those that just shoot everyone they see, but imho they're missing out on a type of enjoyment that comes from interacting with an unknown player.

• Like 2

If I see someone at distance and know that they haven't seen me I leave them alone. Otherwise I do what I must, if they shoot I shoot back otherwise no. I always keep my distance though.

I'm very friendly, try to be a hero most of the time, but i'm very cautious around people.

Bandit? Kill.

Point's medium to high powered gun at me? Kill.

Someone close with a hatchet? Sorry, but kill.

You get the idea. Some think of me as a bandit but i'm not. I'm just really careful about the people I play with.

But when it comes to my base if I made one. If you are closer then 30 feet of any one of my walls. You will die.

To be honest i've killed a few (died a lot also), but in my defence not once did i start the engagement. I've also had a few mishaps when trying to save someone's life from the infected and judging the hatchet can have its consequences, especially in a tight environment and being over run.

I try and play as a roaming medic, so on the off chance i make contact with a survivor i'll give it the good old Q/E, salute or even the surrender animation. Sometimes it will work and well you know if it doesn't someone's going to die.

I will not attack a survivor unless they attack me. Honestly, killing everyone you see in a game like this just seems a little bit pointless to me. This game is all about player interaction. The fact that there's always a chance that the next person you meet can betray you makes player interaction in this game a whole lot more interesting and thrilling for me.

Edited by Oh-Em-Gee

If I get the drop on someone, I'll probably say hi, see if they've got anything I want, and take it from them (sometimes in trade, if it's convenient). If someone gets the drop on me, and doesn't kill me (they're behind me and say, "Hi" or something) I know I can pretty much trust them until we find really good loot worth shooting over. I'll adventure with said individual until we get split up or it's convenient to kill him.