Sign in to follow this  
Applejacc

Suggestion for new zombie [SA]

I was thinking about a zombie that can make players poop their pants and I was thinking along the lines of a stalking sort of zombie. Make it semi-rare like most special zombies are in video games and maybe have a higher chance to spawn at night. Maybe they can have a natural camo to them like a chameleon or just crawl low to keep stealthy and are very perceptive to see players farther away. As for combat, I think they should only try to attack when the player is standing still and not looking at them or even better they can camo if the player looks in their general direction which may be hard to create but just throwing out ideas. Another idea that made me shiver is that they will absolutely attack you the second you step into a building. Part of me wants the damn thing staring at you around the corner through the door or window but that's going into too much detail. One more thing before my mind goes off in a million other directions is its appearance. I started thinking of a skinny tall monster and maybe looks along the lines of the fast zombies in half life 2 without the head crab, it should probably be pretty flat also to stay hidden in tall grass. okay I'm done before more ideas pop into my head.

....explain how an infection can turn a human into a chameleon?and then make them tall and flat?and then why?

Why would there be zombies in general? This is all made up because of a video game and the imagination of the human mind, don't try to get realistic with this as video games were made to escape from reality not to recreate it when it already exists. Can I please get better criticism than saying my idea is not realistic? I would rather be criticized with better ideas than mine to improve upon.

This same thread has been on the forum hundreds of times, sure video games are an 'escape from reality' but some are supposed to be realistic.

Your still forgetting the point is how to make the game different and wild. Rocket said they are working on new zombies which could be different types of the vanilla zombies or the could be out there. Im trying to help create something fun and creepy to the game. The zombies in the game aren't scary but the forest at night in the game is a bit spooky.... to bad there isn't anything to attack me out here... except other players which can give you a jump once in a while.

Edited by Applejacc

Oh and by the way this isn't supposed to be a thread about why video games are supposed to be about escaping reality, it's about my idea so stop getting off topic. Also this idea is great for bambi players who camp out in the woods, its a very boring tactic but with a forest roaming infected it can create some suspense for them. And it doesn't have to look the way I explained it. For all I care it can be fat with a lot of hair and call it bigfoot lol

Edited by Applejacc

Why would there be zombies in general? This is all made up because of a video game and the imagination of the human mind, don't try to get realistic with this as video games were made to escape from reality not to recreate it when it already exists. Can I please get better criticism than saying my idea is not realistic? I would rather be criticized with better ideas than mine to improve upon.

It's not about realism. It's about authentic context.

The zombies are not undead, nor do they have some kind of super-infection that mutates the human body.

Watch the movie "28 days later." That's the kind of zombies we're dealing with in DayZ.

The infection is kind of a mad cow disease(This is not official knowledge, just my way to explain it.), except much more aggressive, and affects only humans. It causes extreme aggression and invokes the most feral instincts in humans, making them want to hunt for food whenever possible, but not by killing each other.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

Of course a piece of fiction can be kept realistic, or authentic, even with zombies in it in the same way science fiction can be realistic or fantastical. If you look around the interwebs for a few minutes you can find many examples of behavior altering parasites and infections in nature, mostly among insects. One of those is the fungus the infected in The Last of Us are based on for example.

I would much rather prefer if the infected in DayZ have different attributes or behavior depending on who they were before getting infected. Someone could have damaged eyes and therefore only relying on hearing, there could be overweight infected; slow but tougher to take down or we could have well trained muscular infected that are strong, fast and hard to take down.

Is everyone imagination deprived? Are you all so obsessed with closure on every subject on zombies that don't actually exist you will go to any length to try a disprove anything anyone makes? I'm looking for something like... maybe it can shoot fireballs... that would be kinda weird but it would have enthusiasm and that's what I want. The people making this game aren't looking for theories on zombies because there are tons of them, and no one has a story on the zombies because it's a mod so far. Like I said before, These are ideas which if people would so kindly add some of their ideas to change the game would be nice. Hell since you are so caught up in the "logic" in zombies how about its a human zombie with the same attack tactics as I explained... does this satisfy you? Seeing a vanilla zombie do this would be pretty boring though.

I can see where all of you are coming from because I too have seen some suggestions that were kinda stupid I thought as well. Like for example one of the most recent threads was about using ropes to climb across to other buildings and stuff which was cool but maybe too much. And probably buggy. Just try to improve on my ideas that's all and remember these are gameplay aspects not story.

Edited by Applejacc

Is everyone imagination deprived? Are you all so obsessed with closure on every subject on zombies that don't actually exist you will go to any length to try a disprove anything anyone makes?

Disagreement creates conversation, which brings in even more opinions and points of view. If only the people who agreed with you would come here and pat you on the back for the perfect suggestion, there would be no community. Accept that not all agree with you, or go do something else.

The people making this game aren't looking for theories on zombies because there are tons of them, and no one has a story on the zombies because it's a mod so far.

Wrong. Rocket has SPECIFICLY said that he wants the zombies to be like in the movie "28 days later." You cannot know that and at the same time suggest zombies with different attributes. Because those kind of zombies didn't exist in the movie. This applies to both, the mod, and the Standalone. It's why the zombies die from bodyshots, as opposed to just a headshot.

See I didn't know about the "28 Days Later" thing, which someone could have mentioned earlier. Also, I clearly stated I wanted to be corrected so don't think I came into this thinking everyone would agree with me. Also making a game with just the basis of "28 Days Later" doesn't mean he would want to change things up a little here or their, so here I am. This idea was mainly to give the forests in Chernarus a bigger meaning than just PvP and camping, I just started to use my imagination which causes a little brainstorming for everyone but everyone wants to argue my idea needs to be thrown away instead of modified.

Apparently there are Z hordes moving outside of the cities. This could pose somewhat of a challenge when in the forests. So long as its not like skyrim where every minute you are pretty much guaranteed at least one encounter.... People need safe places as well. Saw "The Mist", would like something massive or creepy deep in the maps that evokes awe, and not a huge zombie in a different colour scheme. But will take it as it comes...

The 28 Dayz later sound track, music is quite good for this game... especially the running.

Is everyone imagination deprived? Are you all so obsessed with closure on every subject on zombies that don't actually exist you will go to any length to try a disprove anything anyone makes? I'm looking for something like... maybe it can shoot fireballs...

Thing is most are not imagination deprived but we have seen every variant of zombie/slenderman/ big boss zed/ mutant rabbits/ nazi alien zeds etc in this suggestion part of the forum over the time and it is not what the 'zed' part of the game is about, That takes it away from the infected type of non-undead npc that dayz has. We all call them zeds, even Rocket, but the idea is simply an infected person as in the much mentioned 28 days. These people have not died and then crawled back out of the grave a la Romero style, and they certainly should not possess an unbelievable super power of sorts or some colour shifting ability.

Having the infected suddenly shoot fireballs from their eyes takes it in an entirely different direction and twists the game into a more arcadey type direction imo :) Imagination is a great thing but you still need to stay within the confines of what is trying to be created with Dayz. For example instead of a different type of uber infected person i would prefer more elements added to the risk of the forest like bears, wolves, snakes and stray feral dogs in cities. Additions like that would keep you keyed up in the forests, as long as it is not overdone, i don't want to bump into a bear every time i play, but the possibility of it happening is enough.

I see your point and I'll agree that an additional type of Zed that could cause genuine moments of fear would be a great addition to the game.

It is true that some people play videogames to escape reality but that is not the case for everyone and that is not necessarily the goals for DayZ as a game.

Day Z is more a simulator than a game.

The Zombies in day Z are not the dead resurrected they are merely people who have become infected with a virus that degrades cognitive function. This alone leaves Day Z on the more realistic end of the Zombie apocalypse scale.

The more challenging aspects of the game are player interaction and taking care of your supplies, the Zeds are a secondary concern. The short answer would be giving "super powers" to the infected puts more emphasis on killing zombies and less on the core ideologies of the game.

If you take your topic from this point of "We want a Zed that will scare people" and still keep it within the realms and context of the game world then we have a great topic.

How about this:

A Zed that has retained slightly more cognitive function, it's now a stalker. Unlike current Zeds it would have a larger field of detection, however when It detected you rather than run straight toward you it now hides. Trying to keep itself at a distance and Spy's on you, follows you across citys, hides behind objects and occasionally pokes it's head out to keep track of you. This guy is just watching, just waiting, don't worry he will attack you and you know he'll attack you but he's going to wait until it's a real problem for you.

This Zed will slowly close his distance on you the longer he chases, every time you look in his direction he runs to the nearest cover. Imagine playing this game and knowing something is following you and it's just a matter of time or opportunity before it strikes.

We also give him a battle cry, when he attacks he's going to alert everything, nearby Zeds will run toward the call and other players will hear it. When he closes in on you he waits until you have turned around and acknowledged him before he gives his screech.

If he manages to get in melee range without you looking at him we'll have him simply stand over you until you turn around, you turn around to see that and then hear it screech and start attacking....You will know fear.