r4z0r49

1.7.* Infection WIP Update

I don't know if this has been suggested or not yet, but I thought of it while on the reddit. Add in cold/flu medicine. It won't cure the infection, but maybe it'll slow/stop the blood loss, to give you more time to find antibiotics or a tent.

I don't know if this was your aim or not, but before there was a real threat of infection, a melee weapon was the number one weapon of choice for dealing with zeds. The axe to be precise, was quiet and lethal. You could pretty much sit in the middle of the street all day with an axe, taking out hordes of zeds while doing simple little back stepping circles. You would very rarely be hit(as long as you were calm about it) and you most definitely weren't worried about getting infected. I think this was backwards and that the new true threat of infection is bring things closer to alignment. A melee weapon should be an "OMG, I'm out of ammo and this is all I have left!" last resort type of weapon. With 1.7.7 I feel that is the case. I will now always shoot zeds before they get too close. Not doing this is what I feel may be leading people to overreacting about the infection and knock down rate.

I don't mind this new idea and what it is aimed to do, but I don't think it is necessary. I'm am with those that say take caution in playing this type of "balancing" game, because like someone has said before me, you take away the immediate fear of zeds and you go back to a world where the zeds are a minor nuisance that no one cares about.

1.7.7 has created more in the means of choice and consequence and I would hate to see that removed. You now have to be more mindful of your actions, choices. Do I shoot the zombie wandering towards me? If I shoot it before it gets too close I avoid any risk of infection, but I then run the risk of being heard? Am I going to have a harder time avoiding a bandit or finding some meds? I found a loot pile with 3 packs of meds, but I only have one slot of inventory left. Do I only take the 1 pack that I need or do I make a choice on leaving something else behind so I will have a surplus? I used to always only carry what I would need if infected, shocked, fractured, and would then look to replenish. You can still do that with pain killers and even morphine, but with the new risk of infection and the work involved in finding meds, it's worth stockpiling when you can.

Bottom line, is it really so terrible to die from an infection in a world where everyone else has been taken by this same infection? If anything, make it turn/kill us even quicker. Create even another choice out of it. My friend got bit/infected, do I end it quick for him or let him fight it as long as he can? Shooting him will save us some food, drink and other supplies, while letting him live will make life harder for the group and force us out to find and keep finding the right supplies to keep this man alive.

Edited by JubeiDOK
  • Like 2

hey i really need this question answered fast....I hear u have to be in a area for 15min for stuff to spawn in the the new patch 1.7.7. If this is true, do i have to stay at a heli crash for 15min for items to spawn??? i have been to about 10 and no loot...plz help

Greetings Community!

• I have been reading all of your comments and suggestions guys, and I have a few rebuttals for you.

• First off I would like to remind everyone that this is the apocalypse. We are being plagued by an unknown and HIGHLY contagious virus/bacteria/parasite, so contagious that nearly all the inhabitants of Chernarus have died, or more so to say, all of them. (Pertaining to the fact that either the survivors are from Chernarus or are alienated to this god forsaken land).

• So when we are discussing the fact that the infection is too hard because it is fatal or that it is too contagious isn't being very authentic is it? If such an outbreak could easily be treated with some alcohol or some antibiotics.. we wouldn't have such a widespread outbreak would we?

• We are also accepting that this outbreak is also bacterial, rather than viral. Reason being is that an antibiotic is meant to fight bacteria, and the effectiveness of alcohol is only viable at contact point of the wound, it can't treat your body the same way antibiotics can, it's a solution with antiseptic properties used to kill bacteria at the source, BEFORE full body infection. If this plague truly is bacterial, it should be fatal, very, very quickly. So in aspects to authenticity, viral is really the only one that makes sense, respectively. A viral outbreak needs time, a gestation period for cells to be damaged and then used to manufacture and furthermore infect the body. When we have a cold, we take some antibiotics and/or some antihistamine (Tylenol/aspirin) because our body needs to reach a certain temp before it can kill the invasive entities, so Tylenol/Aspirin is used to help lower the temp because the body will continue to heat up the point of fatality, doing everything it can to cleans itself. So if anything we should be fighting off are temp guys, we get to hot, and we are fucked! Literally toast.

• The infection should be fatal ladies and gentlemen, or we don't have an apocalypse.

(
In regards to loot and spawn rates, it makes sense guys. Where do you think everyone went on the onset of symptoms? The hospitals, they used everything in desperation to cure their illnesses. You're lucky the devs let the hospital have the supplies that they do, and not scavenged from the outlining households that tried desperately to stockpile such luxuries.
  • Now regarding zombie knockdown, I'm going to be interpreting this in a way that makes sense to me and through my experience in how these zombies work. This is more of a suggestion now. Zombies seem to have very acute senses during the day, sight and sound. They are very reactive and will run your asses down, they hear every, little, sound. And then on the onset of night, they are as violent as they are in the day, but with the shroud of night, people have greater chances maneuvering, undetected. I see this as a way to urge more people to play during the night, and I understand that the night in dayz is very difficult to play in because of the shear darkness it entails, but guys, it’s honestly authentic, you would not travel during the day if someone was hunting you would you? You would travel at night when the night is darkest, allowing exodus, undetected. So this being said, they are obviously stronger during the day, so a possible balance would be weaker, more docile zombies at night encouraging night play, so weaker zombies mean less knockdowns, and less infections.

• Everything i have said is from a purely, survivalistic, authentic perspective. Now all is left is to splice these ideals into the simulation of the game.

[*]The main argument I see is that night and day cycles are far too long. yes they are realistic, and that is amazing, but we are moving from realism now and more for authenticity, we need shorter nights and days, so that these cycles are actually playable for players. I'm not suggesting one hour or two, days or nights, but a 24 hour cycle isn't entirely plausible for players, I feel that a night and day cycle would be possible to obtain if data is collected averaging the total playtime that players put into a game over an... let's say a two week period, for an example. Do players put as much time into the game as they do a work week? Do they play more in one sitting, but only a few times a week? Or do they put in long hours a few times a week and none the rest? Better yet a little bit each night and day. Especially if people would rather fight the weaker versions of zombies during the night. (This would be the suggestion aspect of this rebuttal).

• If you get infected in the game, you should be worried, you have what may have desolated the entire world, but depending on bacterial/Viral type. It isn't untreatable. The most effective way that we deal with Viral infections today is a far weaker, version of the same Virus, allowing the body to build immunity, but you guys, thats just it. It’s your BODY that is going to cure you. Given enough time, you get better, everyone today should know this, especially all you guys who DON'T get flu shots each year know, you take 2-3 sick days at a time waiting to get better. Those that do get flu shots usually have a more docile experience, you might not even need time off, just a small cough or a runny nose, slight fever and a bit achy. Those without the flu shot have moderate to high fevers, coughs, aches, runny noses, vomit, diarrhea, Delusions, trouble sleeping, trouble breathing. It’s all entirely based on the Invasive entity. Pick and choose but i'm sure you have all been there before. Now imagine this to epic proportions, a virus so evolved in its design, to not only kill its host but allow the virus to gain control, these symptoms only get worst with the duration, the longer you are infected, the more your body is fighting off, so the symptoms will only get worse, like the saying goes, it will only get worse before it gets better, and after you have fought off such sickness, yes you are fatigued and drained, but your body is stronger, use to use a virus/bacteria. Immunity. Is it possible that this strain was a scientific experiment gone wrong, and escaped enclosure? (Resident Evil plot) If so a cure could have been made, this would be are Antibiotics.

• (So far what i understand by following DayZ, the Zombies aren't zombies, they're Infected, meaning the host hasn't died; entirely. The body as degraded to a point that the Virus/Bacteria/parasite has taken control, or at least changed your body chemistry enough to turn you).

• I’m trying to argue most aspects the community have made, and what I have discovered is that; we are spoiled. We have experienced the zombie apocalypse far too gently, the difficulty is getting turned up ladies and gentlemen, we need to accept this and shape it. Doing away from what is making dayz, DAYZ is not the recommendation that the community should be making. Zombies are here, they are scary, and we don't want to fight them, we don't want to survive. We just want to gear up and shoot each other, that is not DayZ. It has taken a turn for the worst and has propelled that direction, but it’s our duty to salvage the wreckage. WE DO need to fight them, WE DO need to survive.

We need to go back to when player interaction was some of the most suspenseful, gut wrenching experiences. How can we have this when players 40-50 at a time are vigorously running into one another with no friction to hold them back? Back in the day, you weren't meant to see players almost not stop, the player was suppose to be thee experience, when a player is spotted, it’s always; Player! Player! Everyone take cover! Weapons ready guys, we don't know what this guy wants!

Not, oh look guys a survivor, looks like he found... a makarov, GET HIM BOYS!

I have said a lot here guys, what do we think? I encourage a discussion, like we all use to do back in the day. Lets get this game into alpha guys, make the testing happen.

-Jesse

Edited by Hellfire447

Well thought out post, but I don't think the infection we're dealing with is the disease that created zombies. Additionally, I'm not enthusiastic about a super-realistic simulation. I imagine such a game would entail 7 day cycles of rest to cure an infection, loot that never respawns (no one's restocking stores in the apocalypse), survivors that do not possess the training to fly choppers or handle a sniper rifle with any amount of accuracy, etc. Someone made a great post earlier about function vs. fun and the importance of not being too realistic if the results are boring and tedious.

That being said, I'm sure this game will continue to function on a sliding scale of difficulty via different server setups, and that is one of it's greatest strengths. The hardcore have a place to play, and the more casual (myself included) can find a comfortable middle ground to enjoy this fantastic concept.

• Like 1

Infection rates should be similar to breaking legs. Also, if the rate were to even stay the same if the infection took longer to kill it would facilitate people to be constantly looking for and trading for antibiotics instead of just killing themselves when they get an infection.

Wait, so you think we should get infected not just from zombies but falling off rocks, stepping on rocks, using gates and doors, walking down stairs to fast, tripping on the grass, getting out of a car moving 5 mph or just looking at anything dangerous!

• Like 1

Wait, so you think we should get infected not just from zombies but falling off rocks, stepping on rocks, using gates and doors, walking down stairs to fast, tripping on the grass, getting out of a car moving 5 mph or just looking at anything dangerous!

Leg breakage is much less common in the new patch,

• Like 1

Like the idea!! The new Zeds are an improvement in my mind. Havent been scared of them since the first couple of weeks playing DayZ.. until now. But I think there is a trade off if infection is made less of a problem.

I personally think that the infection risk (delayed or instant) should stay about the same but the possibility to cure should be balanced some.

Infection is great for the game. Love it!

I cant wait for the day, dead players turn into Z walking around where they died! ^^

Edited by Andro
  • Like 1

Infection is great for the game. Love it!

I cant wait for the day, dead players turn into Z walking around where they died! ^^

The zombies in dayz are living diseased humans, not the walking dead so this will never happen.

Might be a stupid question:

Will the infection still proliferate from player to player contact? If so how?

I'm also liking the idea of 3-4 players teaming up to find antibiotics, finding only a stack of two, and the ensuing backstabbing. This is how pvp should look in this game: literally fighting one another for survival

Is the infection contagious? i.e if I help an infected player do I put myself at risk or visa versa? Lets say he's bleeding??

Just wundrin.

(as dagwood asked ^. Quick reply = me no read whole fred)

Edited by RogueNZ

yeah being in close proximity to an infected player can also make you ill, not sure how it spreads exactly, but in my experience it seems very random.

I dont like this. stealth system is broke. crouched and walking and getting spotted from 100meters. survival for me went from 2 days to about an hour if im lucky to not be infected for that long. and thats from playing a server that gives you a handgun. i dont wanna see how hard it is without a starter pistol. this is madness. Shared the only antibiotic i had to help someone and got my self infected and died... no medical supplies at hosptial. I understand its an apocolapse but theres a fine line between realistic and playing a game. I wanna have fun not freaking out because theres not a drop of hope anymore. keep running out of pistol ammo forcing me to use my primary, and getting killed bc each one i kill is replaced with 3. they removed the fun experience of looting bc now these zombies are spawning in houses and i would be a freshy and not find a gun yet to deal with this threat. dont get me started on trying to kill a viral in the open with a weapon.

What's the eta on this patch.

Yes the zeds are a lot harder now which is great but the infection rate coupled with the change in the infection mechanic ie.once infected your a dead man unless you can find some precious antobiotics is making survival near on impossible unless you hide in the woods.

I dont like this. stealth system is broke. crouched and walking and getting spotted from 100meters. survival for me went from 2 days to about an hour if im lucky to not be infected for that long. and thats from playing a server that gives you a handgun. i dont wanna see how hard it is without a starter pistol. this is madness. Shared the only antibiotic i had to help someone and got my self infected and died... no medical supplies at hosptial. I understand its an apocolapse but theres a fine line between realistic and playing a game. I wanna have fun not freaking out because theres not a drop of hope anymore. keep running out of pistol ammo forcing me to use my primary, and getting killed bc each one i kill is replaced with 3. they removed the fun experience of looting bc now these zombies are spawning in houses and i would be a freshy and not find a gun yet to deal with this threat. dont get me started on trying to kill a viral in the open with a weapon.

What's the eta on this patch.

Yes the zeds are a lot harder now which is great but the infection rate coupled with the change in the infection mechanic ie.once infected your a dead man unless you can find some precious antobiotics is making survival near on impossible unless you hide in the woods.

This patch is many steps too far to throw on people,

I went from being able to loot and store stuff for when the server gets busy to not being able to survive more than 2 hours because antibiotics no longer exist and infection is 1000 % more common, Not to mention 50% of hits give bleeds that never stop. Since when did everyone have aids and haemophilia in a world populated by z's?

Make infection about twice as likely as broken legs ( and then we are near fun again because in my opinion antibiotics where almost useless before this patch. And most of the time you did get broken legs because of bugs or staire falls.but rarely from zs. And make antibiotics at least as common as they used to be not less common thats just idiotic. Give that man/men/ woman a very hard slap for suggesting such a shite idea.

Make it fun again for christs sake!!!! I hate crawling from hospital to hospital to pop pills, I want to rage across the map having at least some FUN!!!!

• Like 1

stop limiting your search to the hospitals, around 40-50% of the antibiotics ive found recently have been at industrials,residentials and military spawns, they can spawn any where.

• Like 1

Honestly, my only dislike in the current patch is the viral zeds. I like the fact that you can get an infection from a hit from a zed, it's neat, and it makes them something to be feared. Granted, I feel that infection should only come from an attack that makes you bleed, but it's still neat. I especially like the idea for having to remember to "clean your wounds" when you've taken an attack that made you bleed. Not only would you have more items you would need to keep in your inventory, but you'd need to manage that inventory even more precisely. It would be especially neat if bottles of alcohol worked similarly to ammunition or glow sticks, having a limited number of uses, but more than one. As I stated, though, I think the viral zeds may be broken. I've put in about thirty hours this week, and had plenty of encounters with both regular and viral zeds. Maybe it's just me, but occasionally the virals stop making noise (at all, not even for movement). I've also had them aggro on me in situations where none of the normal zeds do, which is frustrating.

It's nice to fear zeds more than we did for a while; however, I would much rather fear the swarm, and fear huge damage attacks, than fear insta-infection.

Just my two cents. Great job on the new patch!

Now just ad in a way to overcome the infection if you have a healthy character

and let us drink that booze and get some funny beer goggle effects

This will prove to be a great mechanic to put in game myself. Makes it a lot more realistic when it comes to being attack by an infected and picking up something nasty. And the way to treat it will put some realism in that as well. Will make the game more interesting I feel. wonder if this will be mod only or will it be in the stand alone? Hope so for both

I guess it's the instantaneous infection that bothers me a bit. I'd really like to see another way of treating wounds to prevent infection. If this is just a normal bacteria infection and not the actual zombie infection, then that's the way to go. Create rubbing alcohol or something. I found 6 decks of playing cards...wth is the point of that? With the scarcity of antibiotics and the scarcity of animals to keep you alive, there ought to be another method.

The zombies in dayz are living diseased humans, not the walking dead so this will never happen.

Diseased by infection, so where is the problem in that when a palyer died by the infection?

Edited by Andro

Hi, I posted this elsewhere but perhaps this is the better spot for it. I just got infected by running over an infected zombie with a Ural. Please tell me this is a bug. What is the point of participating in a zombie apocalypse if you can't occasionally freak out and run a group of them over in your giant military transport?

I guess it's the instantaneous infection that bothers me a bit. I'd really like to see another way of treating wounds to prevent infection. If this is just a normal bacteria infection and not the actual zombie infection, then that's the way to go. Create rubbing alcohol or something. I found 6 decks of playing cards...wth is the point of that? With the scarcity of antibiotics and the scarcity of animals to keep you alive, there ought to be another method.

I like "prevent infection." Unless antibiotic spawn is increased, where we are now is doing way too much "prone" movement to prevent infection.

Still extremely difficult to avoid infection, and really boring.

One way to address it might be "buffing resistance." Like eating 2 cooked meat would give you immunity from infection for 10 minutes.

Something like that.

Still have added difficulty working to "fight" infection, but it would be more interesting than endlessly being prone, and give more hope against the scourge of infection.