SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

I'd be much more suspicious of someone who looks like they know what they're doing vice some jerkoff in Cherno who's fumbling with his mags.
In that scenario the guy fumbling his mags is more likely to be of the "deathmatcher" persuasion than the old veteran survivor.

EDIT: Mind you, book-cover judging and all that.

Edited by Chabowski

In that scenario the guy fumbling his mags is more likely to be of the "deathmatcher" persuasion than the old veteran survivor.

EDIT: Mind you, book-cover judging and all that.

I can see that, I was more referring to the people I encounter up north versus people on the coast (which I seldom visit, and assume ALL players to be deathmatchers there).

I mean, the respawing on the same server deal sort of ruins all of the "book cover" mechanics like this. But, if i encountered someone say... near Vybor heading to NW who looked like a bumbling idiot, I wouldn't pay them much mind. But if I came across someone who looked like they knew what they were doing say... in the woods north of Petrovka, I'd treat them as a serious possible threat. Obviously, different people have different levels of threat assessment, but this type of thing could at least add a hint of suspicion and/or gullibility for people who underestimate folks who're fumbling around.

EDIT - As an aside, I'm kind of skeptical about the new look of Vybor. I always liked it because it was a pretty big city with densely fitted houses, and now it seems more open as per the redesign. Not sure what to make of that. I do like how the school and supermarket are further away from one another though.

Edited by Katana67

Yeh, it would mainly be aesthetic TBH but it would give you nice sense of reward for managing to survive a certain amount of time etc. It could help you identify if a character is experienced but not so much the player themselves.

• Like 2

So it's "weeks or months" for public alpha release now according to the video....

I don't really like the "civilian" way the player now holds the weapon either. One thing that would be good is that initially your player would hold guns like that but after you have survived a certain amount of time maybe you could then hold/handle the weapon in a more professional way.

That would mean you could tell if your looking and an experienced survivor or not, if he looks like he knows what he's doing then you know he may be carrying some nice loot.

Just logged in to give beans.

Please hold on to that thought and repost it on opportunity. There could be some minor perks like a slightly reduced reload time or something along those lines.

• Like 1

To those bitching about the lack of vehicles [cough]Gummy[/cough]

You do realize that the whole point of the alpha is to address the more important and basic issues that are quite apparent from the recent videos. Rushing a half-baked vehicle system or even including the old one for release would be completely counter-productive in this regard..

There's a reason they've only included limited weapons/areas of the map open for the internal testing so far :|

It's a basic and core feature of the game. It's not something they should try programming into the game after many people are interacting with it. Keep in mind; this isn't a silly little feature. From the perspective of a programmer it's much more involved than anything else they've been doing. The risk for issues will only rise if they choose this path. It's been a year, though, so I doubt Rocket has much choice but to release without them.

I personally think the game would be dull without them. That's what I personally believe.

What's not a belief is that it will be a shit show if they try to patch them in. Keep in mind, they don't have many programmers assigned to DayZ SA. I recall reading somewhere that it's just one guy and I doubt he's a prodigy who will defy the odds.

• Like 1

I would caution people against two things...

One - To the people offering criticism, there is a way to do it so that you're not being inflammatory and misinformed.

Two - To the people decrying people offering criticism, you're sort of proving the point of all the folks who say that these forums are intolerant of dissent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do want to raise the issue of the animations again, from a civilian/military perspective.

Are we sure this is something we want? I am not entirely supportive of this effort to make our characters "look" like civilians (i.e. like they don't know what they're doing). I have never thought, with the mod, that the animations looked overly "military", they just looked like they knew their way around a weapon (which should be self-explanatory in a survival context).

Again, the animation with the player holding his/her weapon parallel to the forearm is a cool "slow-walking/idle" addition. However, the chicken-wing shooting stance and a few of the other animations just strike me as blatantly there to make the character seem sort of bumbling and inexperienced. It just sort of brings me out of the whole experience to a degree. Have they said anything about stances progressively getting better as our characters "learn" the ins and outs of combat? I'd like my character to improve over time, aesthetically of course.

I don't really like the "civilian" way the player now holds the weapon either. One thing that would be good is that initially your player would hold guns like that but after you have survived a certain amount of time maybe you could then hold/handle the weapon in a more professional way.

That would mean you could tell if your looking and an experienced survivor or not, if he looks like he knows what he's doing then you know he may be carrying some nice loot.

edit: got ninja'd really really bad by fraggle....honestly i was not even aware you would suggest something like this :o!

now how about...wait for it...

SKILLS!!!

:P

no really: dean said several times (ok i guess once or twice ;)) that he could think of a soft approach like in TES games, where you gain something by doing that specific task/action over and over again.

how about you do the "chicken-swing" animation. and by using the gun several times and you live long enough you "gain" these new arma3 anims.... personally i would love that and similar ideas.

so things like these call for subtle set of mini-skills/perks ;) ...and now...let the rage unfold!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 4

It's a basic and core feature of the game. It's not something they should try programming into the game after many people are interacting with it. Keep in mind; this isn't a silly little feature. From the perspective of a programmer it's much more involved than anything else they've been doing. The risk for issues will only rise if they choose this path. It's been a year, though, so I doubt Rocket has much choice but to release without them.

I personally think the game would be dull without them. That's what I personally believe.

What's not a belief is that it will be a shit show if they try to patch them in. Keep in mind, they don't have many programmers assigned to DayZ SA. I recall reading somewhere that it's just one guy and I doubt he's a prodigy who will defy the odds.

You have a point but I, if am developer, would focus more on the zombies (as of what we've seen) and bugs for the initial alpha release .

Problem is, if cars aren't in the SA, people will complain. If they are added in the SA, they'll have to be ported in from ArmA 2; which will give us the clunky pieces of crap we currently drive. People will still complain. There's really no win/win situation for that.

In the end new vehicles and mechanics will be made but that is going to take some time.

so things like these call for subtle sett of mini-skills/perks

If done properly, I think this could both fit in to the spirit of DayZ while benefiting gameplay.

When people think "skills", they tend to revert to one of two extremes. The first being "We don't need any artificial skills, let the players show that for themselves". The second being, "I want DayZ to be an RPG with acquired skills that help me in the long-run".

Initially, I sided with the former. But now, I think it's at least worth discussing/trying/fleshing out, rather than dismissing it as not the objective of DayZ. One of the "pillars" of DayZ has been realism, so why is something that allows a player to become more efficient in movement/weapon handling out of the question? I know when I first started using firearms, like most people, I was pretty inexperienced. Now, I am not, through practice and range time. Reloads are faster, manual of arms is more efficient, stances are better suited to various types of shooting, etc. I don't say this to illustrate what a lolbadass I am, I actually view shooting as sort of a neutral activity in the grand scheme of "manliness". I say this to illustrate the point that people get better over time at a variety of things.

Now, there are a few ways something like this can be done.

- Gradual ambient progression (i.e. the more you do something, over time your reloads incrementally become faster, stances more efficient, etc.)

- Visible skills (i.e. 1000 zombie kills = 25% faster reload)

- Acquired Skills (i.e. physical manuals on weapons being looted in-game)

- Pre-ordained skills (i.e. player chosen backgrounds, military, civilian, police, etc.)

I think Rocket would favor, and has favored the first option. Though it is not as different from the others as has been suggested.

Edited by Katana67

what comes in addition is that you really bind with your character. the moment you die you really really would be annoyed as hell...

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Keep in mind, they don't have many programmers assigned to DayZ SA. I recall reading somewhere that it's just one guy and I doubt he's a prodigy who will defy the odds.

the lead programmer is basically the guy behind OFP and the real virtuality engine. IMO it's enough to consider him a prodigy!

I actually think it might be a deterrent to banditry to a small degree too. Making death more significant in DayZ is something that I support on a fundamental and conceptual level.

Personally, I think things like this won't stop banditry. But they will make it more difficult and level the playing field. Plus, I don't really have an issue with it... but I think that if bandits had much more to lose by acting offensively, it'd just be less common (in addition to the vast amount of unforgiving mechanics that have been discussed to death).

If a deathmatch-oriented person (separate from bandits) cannot easily access high-end weaponry, then he and the average survivor are on more equal footing. Likewise with earned skills, one won't want to enter a hostile area just to kill things in order to preserve gained skills. However, if combat should come to them, they will be more prepared.

So it's "weeks or months" for public alpha release now according to the video....

Worst news of the day... I was hoping it would be days to couple of weeks...

hey guys again!

http://dayzmod.com/f...sa-ultimate-qa/

post relevant questions! be critical but constructive!

edit: i've posted some (from mine ;)) also on reddit...we already got some answers (due to many E3 vids and insights etc.), even if they are not necessarily in the thread already (maybe i can do this later some time)

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Well it looks like it will be 3rd person then. Thats virtually a deal breaker for me. And don't give me the whole server options lecture, how many 1st person servers are running the mod? None.

• Like 4

Well it looks like it will be 3rd person then. Thats virtually a deal breaker for me. And don't give me the whole server options lecture, how many 1st person servers are running the mod? None.

Same here actually.

EDIT: To clarify: If there are official servers that are always First Person then I'm fine with it since that's what I will always play on.

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 2

my opinion:

1) make 3rd person something you'll have to earn! OR

2) do it like in the inventory:you can only see zeds/animals/vehicles/gamers in 3rd person, which are in the line of sight

Edited by joe_mcentire

Same here actually.

EDIT: To clarify: If there are official servers that are always First Person then I'm fine with it since that's what I will always play on.

As far as I'm aware all that's been said is BOTH are being equally developed at the moment, with no decision made as to which will be the final choice.

It's another thing that playtesting will have to figure out.

I'm starting to sway away from 3dp myself.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

3rd person is chosen over 1st person so often because of how glitchy and clunky 1st person is in ArmA 2.

With the new skeleton and mechanics in the SA, I'm sure more players will begin to enjoy what 1st person has to offer; minus the clunkiness.

3rd person is chosen over 1st person so often because of how glitchy and clunky 1st person is in ArmA 2.

With the new skeleton and mechanics in the SA, I'm sure more players will begin to enjoy what 1st person has to offer; minus the clunkiness.

The FOV slider also helps. :)

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware all that's been said is BOTH are being equally developed at the moment, with no decision made as to which will be the final choice.

It's another thing that playtesting will have to figure out.

I'm starting to sway away from 3dp myself.

def. NO!

100% sure i've watched or read an E3 interview where he clearly says: both will be implemented and it will be then up to server-admins