Deacoon

Why is everyone I meet an ***hole?

There are many good people out there.

Don't get mixed up in the beanwars, so leave the coast. Fast. Move inland. Head for the forests. You will find friendlies there. In these woods there are people who have been surviving for a long, long time.

Make sure you know how to lower your weapon. Get your direct comm. sorted out. But be ready to shoot in self defence. Good luck to you, maybe we'll run into each other someday.

There's friendlies out there, just approach people with caution. NEVER ever give away your location by shooting. You attract zombies and WORSE.

People in chernogorsk, elektrozavodsk and berezino tend to be hostile. Everybody in Stary Sobor and north of it, are very likely to be enemies.

I advise you to shoot and kill people who are grouped up on sight. They're usually some friends or a clan playing together, talking on teamspeak or so. Shoot first, because they outnumber you. KILL ALL PLAYERS IN GROUPS.

Individuals, approach them with caution. There's friendlies out there, try to make contact, if they don't respond, disperse.

(PS: where's the non-lethal weapons? I nee done)

Because as of yet there isnt a mechanic that allows you to portray yourself as friendly. At the moment if you bump into someone you both think "I better shoot because he will soon!"

Until there is a mechanic that allows people to see you as friendly it is just pot luck whether you get wasted or not.

I have suggested just such a mechanic and would love your feedback on it.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12093&highlight=factions

It's a rare sight right now is all.

I still give everyone the benefit of the doubt even after weeks of DayZ. Unless they give me immediate cause to assume they're hostile. I've put plenty of people down before they even saw me because of things like looting a dead body after I heard shots, etc etc.

However I also help people out all I can. Just the other day I was in kamyshovo, ran into a guy with nothing but a hatchet on the docks. I greeted him, he greeted me back asked where I was. I told him, he informed me he had nothing of value besides that hatchet. I didn't plan on killing him anyway. However I did have a makarov in my backpack that I wasn't using, so I walked over to him and dropped it. He could've easily killed me with the hatchet if he wanted to. He could've easily shot me in the back with the makarov afterwards as I just wished him the best and turned to walk away.

He did neither of these things, he simply thanked me for the makarov and ammo, wished me the same and we parted ways. Friendlies are few and far between, but they're out there.

Turning into the people that shoot first ask questions later just makes the problem you complain about worse. You'll end up shooting someone that was just like you, and that'll be their last straw and the vicious cycle continues.

Sure I die often enough because I gave the person enough time to get the first shot in, but loot can be regained, and the reward for when you find that friendly is another gun watching your back when shit does hit the fan. A trustworthy partner in DayZ will always be worth the risk of whatever equipment I have on me. To me at least.

lately i have found tons of people who are friendly ever since the patch came out that took away your pistol until the point when they find a gun and feel more supreme then you are..

of course they are friendy :D because without a weapon they have no choice but to not harm you...

i recently wanted to help a player fighting off some zombies. ok he was well geared and i only had a hatched. so i ran towards the zombies following him and declared via direct vioce chat that i'm friendly. my reward: he shot me while i was fighting the zombies and escaped while they were feeding on my corpse... situations like this show who the real monsters are in this game :s he could have declared, that he doesn't trust me and leave, but was i really a threat to him? i wish there would be a fast way to see what attitude people have. does the heartbeat thing even work?

Maybe if you didn't suck so bad then people wouldn't be an ass.

^

^

This is what the problem is, Kiddies with there "Sniper-rifles" thinging there the badass "Bandit". But thats the only way they know how to play... Got to love them. (Sarcasm)

There are friendily out there but its just luck if you come across them.

v

v

v

v

Join a group of friendlies.

Help set up a trading post.

Try to join an anti-bandit clan.

Hell, try coordinating with various friendly groups out of game. Coordinate which servers you play on to skew the survivor:bandit ratio in your favor. Set up RP events (ie. get to green mountain radio tower, then olsha radio tower, in order to get EVAC), etc.

teamed up with a random guy in electro 2 nights ago, worked together raiding the place, ended up in the church when we heard two cars in the city, just walked out the church doors as they passed and declared myself friendly on direct voice and they offered us a lift. spent the night racing about in the cars gathering loot and shooting hostiles.

if you want Coop;

- Make sure your mic is working and your in Direct Communication mode. Understand that direct coms in DayZ have a range limit, you need to be close enough to be heard.

- Make the first move, if you just stand still pointing a gun your going to get shot, so say hello.

- Accept that some survivors are CoD kiddies, and you will get shot from time to time, but as you can gear up in under 30min its not the end of the world.

- The more gear someone has the less trust they'll have for strangers, act accordingly. Recent patches have increased coop alot between guys who have just spawned working together to gear up. (in my experience anyway) I took a big risk walking towards the cars in the above story, but as i pointed out to them if i was hostile i would have just sprayed the driver with my MP5 rather than saying hello :p This was only possible because they where in voice range before they saw me.

- Unless your in voice range dont try and help someone by shooting the zombies that are chasing them, it will be assumed your aiming at them.

- When you find someone and have a laugh working with them, get their steam id. If your killed you can no longer talk on in-game coms, and alot of servers are disabling side and global chat these days.

When I first started playing this game, I would avoid other players, who mostly consisted of those newbies popping off Makarov rounds and having a wild time in Cherno.

On the occasion that I did run headlong into a player, we would confirm friendly. This was back in the day where you could announce your entry into a town by requesting that any friendlies present make themselves known, and not instantly get wasted by a sniper round from on high.

I met friendlies who gave me blood transfusions, friendlies who pointed me in the direction of loot, even one guy who said there were bandits in the town and he would draw the zombies away from my friend and I so we could engage the bandits and collect their loot, which we then shared with him. We even had a sniper out of the town cover us against zombies while we shot up the glass fronted store the bandits were hiding in.

If players met, mostly there would be some small exchange of information, blood or greeting before going their separate ways.

But now it is advisable to shoot the first person you see in the back of the head if they're carrying a weapon. You don't announce your entry into a town, because you will likely be shot yourself.

This is due to a number of factors:

a) If you have good gear, and you see a person carrying a weapon, you should terminate them to neutralise a potential threat. You remain alive, and better equipped.

b) If you have bad gear, and you see a person carrying a weapon, you should terminate them to neutralise a potential threat and take their gear. You end up better equipped.

c) Any and all players who are armed pose a potential threat to you and the collection of gear you have amassed. You should avoid or kill them when possible.

d) Some people enjoy killing other players.

I myself am a devout follower of points a, b and c, having been on the receiving end of player on player violence before when well equipped. Thus I trust no-one but people I actually know to play alongside.

The only charitable action I have conducted towards another player since my realisation that most strangers can and will kill me was to save some new player running west along the south coast with a single walker in hot pursuit. He was unarmed, and ran straight past me in my camouflage, so I turned around and shot the walker in the back of the head with my Mk48.

The player realised the aggravated noises of the zombie pursuing him had stopped, and also that shots had been fired. He noticed me, and zig-zagged wildly in an attempt to prevent my gun barrel pointing in his direction, at which point I had to direct chat him to assuage his fears. Why would I shoot the zombie following him if only to slay him for his flashlight?

He thanked me, but either did not speak English particularly well or was supremely ungrateful, as when I asked him to give me a blood transfusion and that the blood pack was in my rucksack he told me he had no food or weapons and departed with a paltry "bye".

TL;DR

If you're carrying I will eliminate you, as you would likely kill me for my equipment.

DayZ caters to the straight up dick in everyone.Only real men resist it and act like decent human beings ' date=' but people assume personality will go out the window in an apocalypse.

The truth is, DayZ suffers from people thinking it's some last bastion of hope for griefing and trolling, which is total bollocks. Also, the people go relatively unchecked unless they directly attack rocket, so there's this general "everyone can be a douchebag" air not only in the game but on the forums.

So yes, THIS is the face of the "hardcore" community, understand why they were ignored for so long? Casuals may have liked it easier, but at least they knew how to behave in a public forum. It's up to the legit gamers to take back the community and show that we can play and last in the hardcore world of DayZ without being exploiting and trolling cowards.

[/quote']

Exactly this.

Those guy would actually be among the first people dying in a zombie outbreak, they can't think straight, they panic, they die.

And don't give me that "it's a matter of survival" crap, mankind have survived trough ages only because they started helping each other and building societies first.

I play like this:

Rule 1. avoid people.. if I cant avoid them I kill them.

Rule 3. never talk to people.. only talk when they talked first.

Rule 4. if someone had the drop on me but didnt kill me I salute and leave.

3 friendly situations I had:

-NW airfield.. barracks, Im inside and loot.. checking the door every 10 secs. Suddenly a guy stands at the outside and salutes. I salute as well.. retreat into a room, switch to full auto and wait. He enters.. weapon is lowered, he enters the room next to me.. I ran out and head into the woods.

-Im at Stary Sobor, killing an aggroed Zed. "Who shot in Stary ?" I answer "Me" He said "Frienldy group of 2 here" I say "The miltents are yours.. I leave"

-Castle ruins.. again I shoot an aggroed Zed. "Whos there ?" I answer "Me - killing a few additional Zeds." He says. "You friendly.. " I say "Yes.. if you are in tower, stay there I will leave now.."

3 hostile situations I had:

-Castle ruins, I hear silenced shots - I am in the small room at the entrance, I cant flee so I point my weapon at the door and wait. If he enters I shoot if he doenst I leave. He entered.

-Deer stand. I start killing Zeds and hide in a bush for a few minutes.. checking if another player is near. 5 mins later a guy comes running.. sneaks around and enters the deer stand. Shot him without warning, I guessed he was coming because of my gunshots.

-I sneak in the darkness of NW airfield. Suddenly, 5 meters away I see a guy prone - pistol out, sniper rifle at his back. We both shot at the same time. My assault rifle beat his pistol.

In my experience, you have more chance of finding a friendly stranger in cherno/electro than further north.

By the coast, especially now, people have nothing to lose and so don't mind avoiding or communicating with others. Up north however, people have decent gear and will not risk losing their gear to team up with some stranger.

Exacly cultiv8ed, I've been saying that for a long time.

Along with, individuals can be trusted, but people who teamed up with others can't be trusted as they are likely to know each other and play together and thus will kill you.

2 golden rules.

never trust people already grouped. its been said a few times in this thread but i want to repeat it so people who are new to the game absorb it.

if you see two or more people together HIDE or KILL or respawn... the choice is yours.

lone survivors are about 70% chance of killing you on sight in my experience. groups of survivors wil kill you 99% of the time. it really is not worth the risk.

DayZ caters to the straight up dick in everyone.Only real men resist it and act like decent human beings ' date=' but people assume personality will go out the window in an apocalypse.

The truth is, DayZ suffers from people thinking it's some last bastion of hope for griefing and trolling, which is total bollocks. Also, the people go relatively unchecked unless they directly attack rocket, so there's this general "everyone can be a douchebag" air not only in the game but on the forums.

So yes, THIS is the face of the "hardcore" community, understand why they were ignored for so long? Casuals may have liked it easier, but at least they knew how to behave in a public forum. It's up to the legit gamers to take back the community and show that we can play and last in the hardcore world of DayZ without being exploiting and trolling cowards.

[/quote']

Exactly this.

Those guy would actually be among the first people dying in a zombie outbreak, they can't think straight, they panic, they die.

And don't give me that "it's a matter of survival" crap, mankind have survived trough ages only because they started helping each other and building societies first.

I totally agree with both quotes. The whole "this would happen in a zombie apocalypse" argument is nonsense.

Ultimately, I find this mod very compelling, but the shoot-first-slow-paced deathmatch it's become is, frankly, a bit of a drag. Still, I'm hopeful that the lack of incentives for cooperative play will be addressed.

I'm friendly and never shoot unless shot at first. I die a lot.

Last time I was standing in a wood admiring the fact that side chat still worked, when someone opened up on me with a sniper rifle. I got away that time .... but why did he do it? I was no threat - didn't even know he was there, and would have helped him if he'd asked. Side chat was working, after all.

I'm just glad he was such a horrible shot.

Depends you may get lucky and find a group like i did pack of 3 helping it other out till i had a ladder bug that killed me after that i met another guy and started to hang around till a douchebag that didnt talk just watches us and shot us. then again you get nice people and douchebags that's how the world works

It all boils down to psychology - not the fact that some people are assholes.

The better gear you have, the more scared you are that others will kill you - and therefore shoot on sight instead of trusting you. Best case scenario you are a friendly and you eventually part ways, worst case scenario you lose the gear you've used many hours to collect and have to start all over again.

Many things have been tried to nerf KoS'ing, but I don't think that's the way to go. Instead, encourage friendliness. I.E better chances of spawning rare gear when in groups, add a social need just like eating and drinking, zombies fearing to attack several survivors as a group etc.

There's no incentives to be friendly (except when you need blood transfusions), but there are huge incentives for being a Kill on Sight'er. (You get all the loot yourself, you don't risk getting killed and looted).

If the devs want this game to have a remote chance of trust and friendliness, that balance has to be corrected, or there will never be peace in Chernarus. But I don't really have a problem with it anymore, I respect and PvP-aspect. However, I still try to be as friendly as I can without taking risks.

Not much of an incentive is the gist of it, and on the other hand stuff is sexy, pretty sure you could get more stuff as a team though mmmhm.

Well, i will be 100% honest here.

I am a bandit.. But not the kill a random player on sight kind..

Id rather be abit more creative with my means..

We are a group of nearly 10players who play together, and one of the days when i was solo, and bored of staying in the woods i figured would go to shore, to see the sea and relax before going back into the grey zone..

However, while i was sitting on the beach, admiring the view, i heard something in the grass behind me, about 25meters or so out, i didn't turn arround, i knew no zombies walked out here, and with the gear im packing anyone with a weapon will msot likely shoot me the first chance they get.

For the record, in terms of what i have.

Guillie, DMR, M4A1SD, M9SD, Coyote backpack(24slots), all available accessories exept range finder, 2bloodbags, 2morphine, 2epipens, 3bandages, 5cooked meat, and 5bottles of water, not cans, since i use bottles for refills, as it makes me survive longer in the grey.

My char has about 3days on it atm, so..

I figured my time had come now, i'll just sit here, admiring the sea, waiting for the bullet to come.. When i figured i could just tell him he wasnt alone there, he might have not spotted me yet, so i tell him in direct comms "Hey mate, if you are a newly spawned, and got a weapon, feel free to shoot, that's what everyone seems to do anyhow"

This guy walked up to me and said "shoot you? not sure if that's how this game is ment to be played, im trying to survive here, i got no friends here, and i just got killed over some bandages and food myself"

"I see"

"Do you wanna take a seat? The view is pretty nice here"

"sure, if it's safe enough"

"you are no more safe here than you are in cherno mate, no point trying to convince urself otherwise"

We sat there for 5mins, and he said that he wanted to survive for longer than just 1hour or two..

I checked his gear, and asked about his health.. He was at 6k hp, he had a makarov with 1mag, 1bandage, 1 painkiller and 1can of food..

I ended up telling him to drop the weapon on the beach.. and so he did after thinking about if for a few minutes..

I ended up giving him my M9SD, 5mags, hunting knife, matches, 3cans of food, 3bottles of water, healed him up to 12k blood, gave him 4 bandages, and then pointed him in the direction of Polana, and told him to not stop until he reached that town on the map, shows him how to use Shift+Leftclick on the map to set positions, and then told him to not go to the NWAF, nor the EAF, nor run into cherno/elektro looking for supplies, they can be found in the wild..

And then we parted ways, he was standing there for a few minutes while i observed him through my scope of the dmr..

He actually started heading directly for polana, newly equipped and ready to survive in the woods.. in the grey where all of us are.

If you are reading this, you name started with "Can" something..

Hope you are still alive mate.. And i hope you didn't waste those M9 mags i gave you..

We do exist, both survivors and bandits alike..

But there is a clear diffrence on how people play the game, i for one play it like it should be played, like a survival game..

This aint cs, cod, mw with a bigger map and added vehicles..

So many thinks otherwise.. But that is theire problem, not ours..

-Z

"It's up to the legit gamers to take back the community and show that we can play and last in the hardcore world of DayZ without being exploiting and trolling cowards."

I don't hate you, I just view you as a moving loot spawn.

Exacly cultiv8ed' date=' I've been saying that for a long time.

Along with, individuals can be trusted, but people who teamed up with others can't be trusted as they are likely to know each other and play together and thus will kill you.

2 golden rules.

[/quote']

Not entirely true. I guess my group doesn't follow that equation. I only run with friends and our group is way too trusting I think. Every time we have played, our entire group has been killed because of the shoot first ask questions later mentality.

For example, we came across one survivor running through Cher. Our unspoken rule is for 2 people in our group to always site up the target in case they start to fire. We talk to the people and move on. But this guy kept following. Apparently he was with others and set up an ambush and jumped our group us soon as we got to the medical facility. I'm not complaining but we will always help 1st shoot 2nd. So far this isn't getting us anyways but we won't change our outlook on this game. There is alot of loot to go around, we are all surviving together.

I'm sure our tactics will change over time but we will stick with helping 1st and defending ourselves from other survivors 2nd.

One of the following reasons...

You have something they want.

They see you as a threat.

They are bored and want to kill.

It is very good game to make realy close connection of a player with its virtual character. But it is still a game and it has different rules than real life. No matter how covered by other content, this game is about inventory items and weapons. Everyones primary goal is SURVIVE. The better equipement you have, the better chance of survival you have. Your virtual life it self has no other value without the gear you have. When you kill another player his body contains all his gear for the "bandit". Killed player can always return to game respawned, also Zeds and Loot never stop to spawn. Cooperation brings some extra values but teaming up is way too dangerous. People i know prefer teaming at TS with friend from other games or real life they have some relationship outside the game. For the rest as long as killed characters will keep all the gear, it is still the best tactic to kill people, instead of trying to team up in game.