flexnix

Oculus Rift + Omni + Dayz

So basically if ur not fit enough to outrun the zombies u will have a hard time playing dayz with the omni....ppl better start getting into shape now to prepare ;)

Sigh... idiot spreading a misinformed idea, that's new.

The one you got your hands on, if you even did, was a dev kit with a lower resolution 720p display. That was so they could churn out the massive amount of dev kits requested. The newer kits have 1080p screens, and that's only going to improve in the consumer version. Your motion sickness complaint isn't right either. You get motion sickness because you're physically not moving yourself but your brain is telling you that you are moving, often at high speeds -- this can be overcome by easing into the oculus little by little. It's actually a compliment when you think of the fact a bit of hardware and software is evoking true physical responses, like vertigo and motion sickness.

Motion sickness is pretty much eliminated when playing with the omni because instead of your brain just thinking you're moving yourself, you're actually moving yourself.

You have a very fast and loose definition of by any standard. :rolleyes:

Feel free to have your own opinion based on your own hands-on experience with the Rift. Oh wait..

Unlike 99% of people flapping their internet gums about the Rift and posting the video feeds to the displays, rather that the user's eye view; I've actually used one of the Dev Kits. Going from 720P to 1080P isn't going to fix the optical issues. Going to 1080P per eye is going help, but the optics will need to be altered so that the whole display is in focus for each eye. It's not impossible that 2160P might be required in the future, which is going to make graphics card vendors very happy..

My definition of "not playable" with regards to the current commercially available Rift would be something like this:

"Using the Rift for any PvP game would put me at an enormous disadvantage as I could not see their player character if it was over 100 in-game metres away from my player character due to the 'screen door' effect of the optics and I'd be very distracted by my trying not to be sick after 10 minutes of use."

My honest opinion?

These things are a waste of money and nothing more than a playtoy. The TrackIR system is cool, but I could think of better hardware to buy for my gaming setup than some of these things.

In the future people just wont leave the house. The Matrix is gonna be real soon enough.

In the future people just wont leave the house. The Matrix is gonna be real soon enough.

So.. Which one will it be?

The Blue Pill? Or the Red Pill?

Edited by RJTurneR

What if you took both?

Overdose..? :(

The Omni kickstarter has only 11 hours left. Currently $429 before shipping. Will go up to $499 after Kickstarter. There's 1 x $299 option as I write (you have to make your own upper support, comes with the base and tracking footware) and 1 x $399 full Omni plus bonuses. Now's a good time to get one. Estimated delivery January 2014. You don't have to include shipping in your pledge - It's worked out afterwards.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

another thing people seem to forget about the Oculus is that you need 120 FPS for it to work correctly (60fps per eye)

At least that´s what i got from some articles i read about it.

What machine can run DayZ (or any new game for that matter) at 120 FPS ?

edit: and not seeing my keyboard anymore would also proof to be very difficult for me at least.

(but there are already solutions for that in the works, but all of which kill the emmersion somewhat. best would be voice commands i guess)

Edited by Broter

yeah, imagine the 45 minutes of constant running to get to stary, also - what would you do for vehicle transitions? walk to car, get out of omni, sit in chair, enter car?

I actually think that would be quite awesome.

Getting out of the Omni, into a chair, and use a PC Racing Wheel Controller, and when getting out, into the omni again. The 45 minutes of constant running would be nonexistant, since you would need to take breaks, just like in real life. And when taking those breaks you could do things like look at the beautiful scenery of chernarus (This of course will be ugly if you dont have a ultra computer)

DayZ is a zombie apocalypse simulator, and immersion should be a big part of it.

This actually would make the game have some sort of "Rank" system, maybe to bandage yourself you have to move a lot and that will waste your energy, and maybe running away from zombies will be harder. This actually changes multiplayer gaming but not many people will use it in my opinion.