grimsonfart

What you guys think about the new update?

they can knock you down if the get behind you. regardless of your health

• Like 1

I like the new zombies. It actually means you cant just run straight through Cherno gear in 10 seconds and also expect to make it out alive.

Rarer loot is a great addition. Finding gear should mean something.

And zombies needed to be made more threatening. A zombie apocalypse where zombies weren't an issue was a tad silly.

• Like 1

Sounds like the good old days to me when finding the smallest things mattered, as a result of that you end up genuinely fearing for your life. So far I'm loving what I'm hearing, sounds like DayZ is gonna stop catering to the casual player and get back to it's roots.

All the yung'ins don't know how hard we had it!

Srsly though, my 2 month of playing DayZ religiously was when I found my first M4A1 CCO, a month or two after that I cherished my first NVG pair. Now NVGs and AS50s are the norm.

Back to the roots! I might start playing public servers again.

Try crawling instead of running. If you don't have the attention span, then I think a few private servers still have the "The f***'s "survival"? I just want AS50 warfare!" mentallity.

Edited by TheDesigner

well i only played for 15 or so minutes. i got knocked over by 1 zombie and instantly infected. tried to run to berizino from solnichy with a train of zombies for at least 300m or more. then got dropkicked by another zombie and died. all at night (no flashlight, flares or chemlights on)

Brand new player here, must have been in a coma for the past year to miss this action.

After playing private then on a pub post-update, the only issue I had was going through entire villages without finding more than an empty can. I completely agree that this game should be as unfriendly and barren as possible; I'm assuming that's why actual, non-gunfest servers thrive. However, I wound up spending an hour and change finding nothing but empty cans with nothing to fight off my relentless fanclub of flesh-eaters. Most likely just wound up on a server that needed a reset or had a stretch of awful luck.

I had more difficulty with the long attention span of zombies rather than the tackling. I'm sure it will loosen up when you come across a weapon or a buddy.

I just went to a hospital without it's windows broken (e.i. - No one had been there prior to me) and found nothing.

Nothing at all.

In a hosipital.

Just tin cans.

If the rest of the loot is like that i doubt i'll be playing (Or at least, not playing on servers with the new patch). I understand loot (And particularly guns) should be rare, but i think looting was alright at the state it was. Not finding a fucking blood bag in a hospital is just frustrating and stupid - especially for someone who plays as a hero/medic character.

• Like 2

I just went to a hospital without it's windows broken (e.i. - No one had been there prior to me) and found nothing.

Nothing at all.

In a hosipital.

Just tin cans.

If the rest of the loot is like that i doubt i'll be playing (Or at least, not playing on servers with the new patch). I understand loot (And particularly guns) should be rare, but i think looting was alright at the state it was. Not finding a fucking blood bag in a hospital is just frustrating and stupid - especially for someone who plays as a hero/medic character.

runing back and forth to hospital full of everything does not make you hero/medic character - you are more like free train on rails:) but now, after patch, when you will need to spend some time to find a bloodbag - well now you have chance to become hero/medic character.

• Like 1

i just wish loot was a bit more common, couldn't find any food/drinks/guns/medical supplies in all of cherno and elektro, other than that everything is fine

Well there's gonna be crying in the standalone when zombies are more of a threat anyway and people will complain hey should be easy like the mod used to be

May as well get used to it now so your ready, and the zombies are not that glitchy as some of the bugs like hitting through walls were fixed I believe

I absolutely hope that they are a bigger threat, but at the same time they are kind of "new" zombies. Im not saying its a bad thing to have dangerous zombies, but i dont think that this is the right way to go. Just wait until the standalone, hopefully it will bring a good balance between dangerous zombies and being able to interact properly with your character (such as jumping, that is something dayz has been missing badly). And what about new players? Are you only thinking about your veterans that play dayz 24/7? Edited by grimsonfart

I think Zombie Jesus summed it up quite well. This update seems like the first step in an attempt to recreate the original DayZ experience we all had within our first 1-2 weeks of playing. While I do think this premise has potential, I don't think this patch is executing it very well. My main concerns are the loot spawning rates and the new damage/health rework. All of the bug fixes and minor content adjustments are fine.

After playing for a few hours with a fresh spawn in a vanilla server, I already have a general feel for the patch. Zombies have been buffed in some aspects but nerfed in others. The removal of a guaranteed bleed on your first zombie hit on a new character is nice. The frequency of zombies knocking you over can be a bit annoying, but it presents a new danger you have to look out for as opposed to just carelessly running by them. A zombie buff has been needed for quite some time. The patch fails in other aspects, however. Immediately noticeable to me was the scarcity of loot on the map. After doing a typical loot run through Cherno I only had a meager makarov with 2 mags and an AK with 1 mag. There was pretty much no hospital loot to be found; there were no boxes in all of Cherno, just a few blood bags and a morphine stick. I found this to be one of the most frustrating changes of the patch. Infections are much more common, yet antibiotics are nowhere to be found in pretty much the only place on the map you have a decent chance of finding them. At some point, I acquired an infection and it dropped me to black and white within 20 minutes to where I just got frustrated and left to write this. Overall, loot was much harder to find and zombies were much more dangerous.

Now, before you call me out as being a sore grumbler, hear me out. While I do think going back to its survivalist roots is a good thing, the patch will hurt the game as a whole. Gearing up is now much more tedious and monotonous. You'll have to spend multiple hours acquiring all of the tools you need and a decent weapon loadout that would otherwise take 30 minutes to an hour in the previous patch--not to the mention the increased risk of dying at the hands of zombies that could wipe all of your progress in an instant. People will seldom make it far north anymore to loot the hotspots (namely, Stary and NWAF) because they're too busy dealing with tedious things like acquiring adequate medical supplies. Those suspenseful firefights between geared squads and the joy of finally finding that amazing weapon will be lost. Of course, DayZ at its roots isn't intended to be a deathmatch between players, but moments and atmospheres like these really drive the mod forward. Youtube videos that reflect exciting experiences serve as advertising for the mod and continue to spark interest. The slower paced gameplay with this patch won't make for interesting content to post/watch or interesting stories to tell your friends.

Overall, I think some of the bolder aspects of this patch should have waited. With the current map and engine, progressing even further towards the ultimate zombie survival simulator only reveals the game's limitations. The clunkiness of the arma controls and the shaky zombie AI are becoming even bigger nuisances as the focus on staying alive with limited food/bloodbags increases. The map itself isn't very forgiving in terms of loot distribution either. Introducing these hardcore survivalist elements into the mod isn't working out very well in my opinion. Waiting until Standalone when the entire game is fleshed out (crafting, map rework, new controls) would be much more compatible. For now, I think it's best to revert to the atmosphere of the mod before this patch.

-------------

tl;dr - The new emphasis on loot scarcity and health detract from the core experiences (tense firefights, looting up north with friends, etc.) that make the mod enjoyable. The notable changes introduced with this patch are too bold and aren't compatible with the mod's limitations (clunky AI, map loot distribution, controls).

Edited by metaminer
  • Like 14

Sounds like the good old days to me when finding the smallest things mattered, as a result of that you end up genuinely fearing for your life. So far I'm loving what I'm hearing, sounds like DayZ is gonna stop catering to the casual player and get back to it's roots.

ah man i cannot wait to get home and play. this sounds amazing .

you sir have my beans.

Since when can infection take you to black and white ?

It stops taking blood at 6000

They changed that with the patch as well. Once you're infected it's pretty much a scramble to find antibiotics or enough meat to keep you alive.

* [uPDATED] - Sickness(Infection) can now cause death.

Edited by metaminer

So I was just running from airstrip to chernarus. and about 500 meters I pulled 20 zombies while crouch running... got into cherno.. I found a m24. I ran around DAYS searching for food. instantly became infected still no food, I broke into the hospital NOTHING BUT TIN CANS. 10/10 died 3 minutes after. Came back to get my m24 got it and someone needed healing so I healed him ( Im a hero so he asked me on direct ) Other than that..... 10/10 love this fucking update would play all night. Its just the challenge we need

for the love of god make food common. ran in a grocery store and found nothing. AT ALL. And you cant place tents near anything. it has too be quite in the open

i also found a bible o.o

EDIT :

my fps went from 15 in cherno to over 80 with 200% resolution + max settings. Whatever you guys did to optimise days you did it brilliantly

Edited by Rozzok
  • Like 1

Its just too much, its not fun playing it anymore when there is almost no loot and zombies are now 90% case of death. Maybe its the way it is supposed to be, but you are making the funfactor go doooooooooown for alot of us players. We are not all expert survivors that enjoy running around in the woods looking for soda cans, hell, i just found my first one today, probably played 4 hours to get it. Whats the point?

• Like 1

I haven't experienced being hit by zombies except when I tested their damage one time

So if most hits cause infection and there's no antibiotics then at least eiether add more antibiotics or stop infection from killing you

Having a death sentence from 1 hit is going to get so frustrating for everyone

All the other stuff like food ect is fine, I found plenty so I don't see what the problem is

Just my two cents, i think they have ruined the zombies again! You run past them they will knock you over 50% of the time, it just makes the zombies more anoying than ever. And where is all the loot? All i have found is tin cans (seriously), not even a can of coke or a box of beans, no guns or anything other than flares, empty tin cans, shotgun ammo and such. Now the patch might just need some tweaking as its day one, but right now i am having a whole lot of "not fun time" playing it. Your opinion guys?

i think this update ruined the game. on ts with 12 mates we logged in busy server for our daily dayz session and within half hr 90 percent were rolling back to previous patch and having fun again.

zombies are stupid. its not that there harder the knock down thing is a joke better without it in (please listen to that rocket for standalone as i just seen you added that to the latest build of standalone aswell and its daft and isnt fun)

what people need to remember it needs to be fun to play. its a game slogging it out for hrs to find one can of beans and knocked out every few steps isnt. as said if 90 percent of people so quicly stopped it says straight away this patch isnt right. take the big snipers out and make loot bit more available (currently none or close to none anywhere on busy servers) take out the stupid zombie knock downs or make them extremely rare.)

so no not overly impressed and if honest you took the mod one step back in fun and playability and after watching the recent standalone video of matt playing at e3 i wonder if the standalone will be fun at all seeing how most things will be missing at start that are standard things in the mod.

why will people cross over to standalone on launch or at start if the mod is better or more fun ?

so please rethink your approach remember this is a game not a episode of the walking dead and revise quickly.

oh and before anyone cries i have played days since near launch nearly everyday i have done about everything you can do and do regularly so its not like i cant do this or im new im giving you my honest op. this version of mod isnt fun for majority and that video isnt great at showing what the standalone is please recognise this.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 4

Made it through Electro in the middle of the night on a veteran server and only got knocked down twice. It was alot harder than it used to be, but i had alot of fun doing it. The secound time I got knocked down I just rolled a couple of times before I got up. I did have a zed train leaving but I lost them swimming through a pond. I like it so far.

I like and dont like at the same time. Have only been playing DayZ for a month now and like the fact the Zs are harder, but they knock me ove a good 50% of the time which sucks. Also, on the server I usually play on there seemed to be tonnes of them around, way more than usual?

Also the lack of loot is a pain. After dying I spawned in Electro and there were 5 of us running round unable to find anything apart from tin case or soda. I eventually found a crowbar and broke into the hospital as 3 of us had infections. All that was in there was 1 epi pen and 3 empty tin cans!

Also, have had it crash on me twice tonight which is has never done before. Both times I spawn back in and my character is still there with a duplicate kit. Seemed to be happening to a few people.

Oh and where are all the backpacks now?

I like most of the new patch, though it was hard to gt used to reacting to zombies in a different way after being able to deal with them easily for so long. The only think I don;t like is that getting an infection is pretty much death for a character when the rate of infection is huge. Infections should happen and antibiotics should be rare, but maybe not quiiite so rare. It takes it beyond difficult to almost garanteed death in that respect. Loving that zombies are harder though!

good news about the knock down being tweaked but look at loot aswell or food and loot.

walking for three hrs to find a empty can of beans = fun ? nope.

the balance is wrong you dont go from lots of loot to none you do it in small steps. you took a jump to far.

Zombies are a threat? Loot is scarce? Players raging about running head first into a zombie mob and getting ganked? Sounds like heaven! Why haven't i patched!!!!!

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1