DayzForumer

DayZ: SA cars

Make cars act like helicopters do in Take on Helicopters. (Keys, ignitions, battery etc.)

• Like 5

Well that would sure keep the kiddies from driving cars. :P

No more getting randomly ran over by people that just hold "W" and occaniously press "A" & "D".

I'd also like helicopters and cars to only be able to be controlled via joystick and those wheely things

I'd also like helicopters and cars to only be able to be controlled via joystick and those wheely things

So you want every DayZ player to buy a joystick?

I don't like the idea of having to turn the keys, that would be to simulator like in my oppinion.

But having to use the clutch and shifting gears would be great.(3 buttons: "clutch","gear up" and "gear down " once you are in(?!) gear one and you push "gear down" you enter reverse mode)

Essential make it like driving a real car, but make the motor start automaticly (when you use the mousewheel option).

I don't like the idea of having to turn the keys, that would be to simulator like in my oppinion.

But having to use the clutch and shifting gears would be great.(3 buttons: "clutch","gear up" and "gear down " once you are in(?!) gear one and you push "gear down" you enter reverse mode)

Essential make it like driving a real car, but make the motor start automaticly (when you use the mousewheel option).

Turning the key would make it a simulation, but changing gears and using the clutch wouldn't?

I like the idea of having a process in helicopters too, so you would actually need a pilot.

Turning the key would make it a simulation, but changing gears and using the clutch wouldn't?´´

what I meant was that you don't need any skill to turn a key. You just do it automaticly, upon entering a car (if your intention is to drive that vehicle) we also don't have a keys controlling each foot we only have the "W" key and shift to controll the speed.

can we get some dayz mechs to go with it?

Go the mechs.. i support this. can someone please add mechs to a mod.. it will be fun..really it will be.

what I meant was that you don't need any skill to turn a key. You just do it automaticly, upon entering a car (if your intention is to drive that vehicle) we also don't have a keys controlling each foot we only have the "W" key and shift to controll the speed.

Try turning on a car when the owner could be miles away - either dead or zombified

Anything that makes vehicles hard to use (opposed to harder to find/access) has my vote. Great suggestion OP.

Additionally perhaps have multiple cars that have an automatic and manual transmission. A smart player who has trouble driving a manual will look for an Automatic. Of course the downsides are always prevelant when driving a car with an automatic transmission, compared to a manual stick shift

ok...

i don't know about everyone else but my 13 year old sister knows how to drive a car.... ( i guess you can call her a genius but really she is your typical American 13 year old girl)

making it complicated and frustrating in a VIDEO GAME seems a bit stupid.

if in reality a 13 year old can drive a car any casual should get on dayz and drive a car from cherno to ele without a problem.

this is a zombie apocalypse game not a driving simulator.

Edited by methr1k2dop3

I think I agree. Driving a car needs to be SUPER complex, and extremely realistic, like the rest of the features in the game. I want you guys to take as MUCH time as you can to get this as good as possible. If it takes months, don't rush it! We are extremely patient people here. Forget those other, meaningless features, like balancing the game, adding an endgame, or fixing those little bugs like zombies and players walking through walls - we can take it. The people who have been moaning here on the forums for the last 14 months are just pussies. In fact, we could use a 'balance' system for the bikes? Where you have to press 'Q' and 'E' to lean left+right and prevent yourself from falling over while pedalling, where if you mess up, and lose balance, you fall over and are killed instantly. You could add a 'training wheels' item that can be found in police stations that take up 5 inventory slots, that can be attached via an interactive 'screwing' minigame simulation.

I heard that Rocket (Dean Hall) was overhauling the whole walking system in the standalone actually ... he decided that there were far too many vehicles, and walking from town to town just didn't take long enough, so he decided to implement a mechanic like from the critically-acclaimed game QWOP, to make walking (and aiming a weapon) hyper-realistic. I saw some footage, and it looked pretty sweet. I think it'll make the whole experience of venturing through the forest for hours on end to finally link up with your friends a much more rewarding experience.

i have this weird feeling like you don't know what you are talking about.....

but please enlighten me.

Edited by methr1k2dop3
  • Like 1

I'm not here to judge anyone's standard for measuring genius intellect, but complication, in itself, isn't a bad thing.

Not every car under the sun has power-steering, or automatic transmission, for example. More variety in vehicle handling should be represented.

It's not exactly rocket-science, but driving is still more complex than some folks seem to appreciate.

Anything less than optimal conditions will throw most folks off a bit. And DayZ conditions are likely less than optimal.

If kid-sisters can do it, there's no reason for the big boys to wimp out when it comes to more in-depth simulation. :lol:

EDIT:

It may be a piss-take, but I'd put Q/E lean on bikes. Why not?

Ideally, everyone will be able to work a bike/car/bus, but certain folk will be skilled enough to do it well.

Edited by Chabowski

ok...

i don't know about everyone else but my 13 year old sister knows how to drive a car.... ( i guess you can call her a genius but really she is your typical American 13 year old girl)

making it complicated and frustrating in a VIDEO GAME seems a bit stupid.

Hahahahaha good point. It's pretty simple to drive a car with an automatic gearbox... it's basically a big go-kart.

I'm not here to judge anyone's standard for measuring genius intellect, but complication, in itself, isn't a bad thing.

Not every car under the sun has power-steering, or automatic transmission, for example. More variety in vehicle handling should be represented.

It's not exactly rocket-science, but driving is still more complex than some folks seem to appreciate.

Anything less than optimal conditions will throw most folks off a bit. And DayZ conditions are likely less than optimal.

If kid-sisters can do it, there's no reason for the big boys to wimp out when it comes to more in-depth simulation. :lol:

EDIT:

It may be a piss-take, but I'd put Q/E lean on bikes. Why not?

Ideally, everyone will be able to work a bike/car/bus, but certain folk will be skilled enough to do it well.

no one is judging anybody.

if in reality its EASY to drive a car. (which it is.... i hope we can agree on that)

and this game wants to capture reality

then it should be easy to drive a car in the game.

i learned how to drive with a manual transmission when i was 15 and took me 20 mins.

i've driven a car without power steering....

i didn't drive the car into a building.

i would approve of a cars handling gets more difficult the more you bump into stuff.

being able to drive better than the person that just started playing is basically already implemented in every game.

Edited by methr1k2dop3

Like I said, variety should be represented.

You can't just take the simplest example and apply it to everything.

Of course it's going to be easy to drive a perfectly roadworthy, steering assisted automatic on a road in good condition.

But change up any one of those conditions, and you've increased the complexity of the situation.

If it's simulated properly, then if you find an automatic in perfect working condition and run it on a perfectly undamaged road, in perfect weather conditions, it'll be as easy as in reality.

But what if you're NOT in that absolutely perfect scenario? (Oh noes)

If the vehicle should have a manual gearbox, you should have to change gears.

To keep on top of maintenance you should have to check oil, water, brake-pads etc.

The real compications of driving (and many other features too. Hunting, for example. And nutrition) would serve to make DayZ a better, more rewarding experience.

There is such a thing as "taking it too far". But there's also a little thing called "simplified to a ridiculous degree".

Edited by Chabowski

Like I said, variety should be represented.

You can't just take the simplest example and apply it to everything.

Of course it's going to be easy to drive a perfectly roadworthy, steering assisted automatic on a road in good condition.

But change up any one of those conditions, and you've increased the complexity of the situation.

If it's simulated properly, then if you find an automatic in perfect working condition and run it on a perfectly undamaged road, in perfect weather conditions, it'll be as easy as in reality.

But what if you're NOT in that absolutely perfect scenario? (Oh noes)

If the vehicle should have a manual gearbox, you should have to change gears.

To keep on top of maintenance you should have to check oil, water, brake-pads etc.

The real compications of driving (and many other features too. Hunting, for example. And nutrition) would serve to make DayZ a better, more rewarding experience.

There is such a thing as "taking it too far". But there's also a little thing called "simplified to a ridiculous degree".

there is a giant red line on what realism factors should NOT be a part of dayz.

i see how not having optimal driving conditions should affect the car by making it easier to swerve outta control.

but checking the cars brake pads and oil seems a bit silly in a this sorta game.

in current mod i think there are enough factors that dictate if a car is driveable, adding more would just be frustrating!

and overall NOT fun.

Edited by methr1k2dop3
  • Like 1

^ Agreed.

At that point it would just be too frustrating to operate something that will probably be stolen the next day.

I agree that

- ignition should be manual (turning the key to start etc)

- speed should be altered with a different key

- Reverse should be a different key

Maybe you would have to use the action menu to select reverse, forward and gears?

No checking oil levels and manual changing gears (clutch in, change gear, clutch out...) though, that would be annoying IMO.

however i like the idea of randomizing cars. why shouldn't have one a slight leak in its brake conduit. so you drive down a road and realize you have a very very long braking distance (crushing into house). Or how about one with a failing gear so you cannot engage the last gear....and so on and so on...

edit: so everyone feels always slightly different, as irl.

Edited by joe_mcentire