rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

Dean clearly stated that the Alpha is meant to test the game's functionality, not provide the best experience off the bat

It has nothing to do with Alpha or Release because he claims that the GUI will never substantially improve.

QwUPYhW.jpg

Edited by gummy52

Hopefully they're putting all the extra resources they're saving with this shit-tier UI system into implementing some vehicles some time in the near future.

To the people complaining, I don't have any problems with the inventory screen. I mean, it's a simple screen without any flashy nonsense going on. And as long as the gameplay is good I don't really care too much at all what it looks like.

He said that today the artwork team was going to work over the UI, I don't know what they can do to improve it in a substantial way but well, we have to wait until he can show us something.

Edited by Guisho

flashy nonsense

I think there's a difference between "flashy nonsense" and "not mspaint".

I've never though a nice looking GUI would be considered as "flashy graphics". I don't believe the "this game is not about graphics" excuse should be used for putting up with an ugly GUI. Personally, I don't think it's ugly. I like the simpliticy and the general layout but it does need some work to make it more professional looking. Those inventory screens are perfectly fine for WIP or alpha release but I do admit it's a bit odd to see rocket saying everything is fine the way it is and it doesn't need to look any better because that's not what the game is about. Then again, he did mention the possibility of custom UI skins in the future so who knows.

inb4gummy

QwUPYhW.jpg

I can quite easily live with it.

• Like 9

It has nothing to do with Alpha or Release because he claims that the GUI will never substantially improve.

Yes, it will not substantially improve from it's perfectly functional state which is coming in Alpha. Dean has artists working on the Inventory UI right now which will look decent and function well in the Alpha - what more could you want in a game that's rich in concept and not in pointless flashy graphics or arcade gameplay?

I share your sentiment, TurkishMonkey. Yet, instead I'd prefer for Dean to simply do what's right and back his actions with reason. Most of the people are not smart, there is nothing much to be done about that, but I'd much rather have him keep contact with us and stand strong, instead of hiding, whenever dumb shit arises as a result of people's incompetence or complete idiocy.

Dean's idea of developer transparency in gaming is a good one, this is just one of the challenges that comes with it.

Edited by TiredMiner

He said that today the artwork team was going to work over the UI, I don't know what they can do to improve it in a substantial way but well, we have to wait until he can show us something.

adding/replacing the icons showing whether or not an items inventory space has been expanded would help. The red/green thing looks like a placeholder to me.

The character blocking some of the slots. (though we may be able to rotate the character to see the gear better it's still kinda funky to have him in the way)

The icons for various items need to be switched to the actual models rather than the on-the-ground models.

Maybe a nice wingdings font would round it out.

Other than that, I don't have any real constructive feedback. They're slight tweaks and I can already imagine how it's going to function. I like the layout and the drag and drop functionality will be nice. Being able to manage inventory a little more effectively is going to be nice.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 5

WIP mean anything to you?

Dean Hall said that it won't substantially improve.

Edited by gummy52

Learn the definition of "substantial" then come back to this thread.

QwUPYhW.jpg

If I remember right, Dean said it won't suddenly improve. Note the word suddenly. To me, it seems like he's talking about the initial release, not later down the road.

In fact, Dean said he wants to create a system that lets players make their own skins. My bet is that, even if they don't make an "official" skin, they'll makes community skin the default.

But I do see what you mean about using the old Arma 2 UI textures, they do look better than the new UI, but I'm not sure the textures are compatible.

Edited by colekern

Dean Hall said that won't substantially improve.

No, he didn't.

He said it won't substantially suddenly improve.

You quoted the statment yourself. And now you're either entirely oblivious to how stupid you're making youself look, or you're trolling.

EDIT:

Also, DILLI(w)GAF? :huh:

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

Dean Hall said that won't substantially improve.

Please tell me honestly, are you trolling for fun? Or you truly have nothing to distract you in life so you resort to taking extreme points of view that oppose everybody else's with almost nothing but vague interpretations of quotes to back it up?

To any comments about an ugly UI or that the field looks the same, you are going to be disappointed. They will not substantially suddenly enhance their prettiness.
Edited by Hetstaine
  • Like 1

I share your sentiment, TurkishMonkey. Yet, instead I'd prefer for Dean to simply do what's right and back his actions with reason. Most of the people are not smart, there is nothing much to be done about that, but I'd much rather have him keep contact with us and stand strong, instead of hiding, whenever dumb shit arises as a result of people's incompetence or complete idiocy.

Dean's idea of developer transparency in gaming is a good one, this is just one of the challenges that comes with it.

thats assuming he is hiding and not working his ass off trying to get this game done.Lets not forget the old days of no developer dialogue with the community.

ANYTHING that comes out of BI about DayZ is a priviledge, not a right. Dean knows his game will sell, IF he makes it the way he wants and with enough time. Anything else is a distraction. You have the suggestions thread trolls, have your nerd fits in there.

Anyone that complains about the commercial side of things with Dean attending interview after interview or making a build for E3. This is the world we live in, anyone condemning BI or Dean for that automatically puts there own voice on mute. People need to do chain interviews to sell a product. BI isnt a fucking charity FFS.

This whole everest fiasco, oh man hahahah, Dean must of been chuckling his icey ass off while in everest. Nerd rage because someone is fufilling a life long goal?

LAWL

Trust your fucking developer guys. I personally think Dean has involved the community too much, Dean has given the community too much credit for being upstanding and mature. Which is impossible when you put lonely attention seeking fuckwits behind a keyboard and give them anonymity.

Having said that much respect to the huge contributors that have reinforced what Dean and BI are doing by picking apart a MOD and modding it :lol: .

For any future trolling tiprats that want to pin me as a Dean fanboy. FUCK OATH I AM! He is making the game i want to play. Until i see a failed product which im sure i wont, i will be an eargerly waiting fanboy with a raging DayZ hardon.

I cant wait for the shitting animation so i can shit on the dead bodies of you filthy trolls. :lol:

• Like 7

I'm not sure the textures are compatible.

Textures are images. They can't not be compatible.

oppose everybody else's

Again, aside from the shills on this forum, these screenshots are universally disliked.

No, he didn't.

Yes, he did. If you want to debate syntax then we may as well throw the entire sentence out because it's technically nonsensical. You're taking the meaning out of context of the post. It's perfectly clear from the subsequent paragraphs that Rocket is saying that the GUI will not substantially improve.

To any comments about an ugly UI or that the field looks the same, you are going to be disappointed. They will not substantially suddenly enhance their prettiness.

While we could devote resources to making the game more sparkly - we aren't. We're devoting resources to making more functionality. DayZ is not a game that is about sexy graphics - I really thought this would be dead obvious.

The game engine was rewritten from being a FPS to an MMO, a huge undertaking of which you will see no visual difference whatsoever. If you want to play an FPS there is ArmA3, if you want to play an MMO, you'll have DayZ.

Edited by gummy52

"Not suddenly" means exactly what it says.

"We could devote resouces. We aren't". No shit. Got a game to make. Fuck the UI. It can wait.

Are you one of these folks who, because you haven't seen any evolution today, is a hardcore creationist?

• Like 1

Again, aside from the shills on this forum, these screenshots are universally disliked.

Oh, looky there, we have a semi-intelligent troll that can't be rid with just reason. Can we not just agree to disagree; because obviously, you are conscious of the fact that almost everyone here would disagree with you. Why keep posting if that will end in nothing but a waste of posting space, drama and emotion?

You came knowing that nobody here shares your opinions, and you continue to post your shit. What the hell would that accomplish?

Edited by TiredMiner
  • Like 1

Textures are images. They can't not be compatible.

Yes, he did. If you want to debate syntax then we may as well throw the entire sentence out because it's technically nonsensical. You're taking the meaning out of context of the post. It's perfectly clear from the subsequent paragraphs that Rocket is saying that the GUI will not substantially improve.

Gummy, you can't throw out certain words and only read the ones you like. He pit the word suddenly in there for a reason.Not only that, but he also pretty much said that he wants to improve the UI by allowing people to skin it, which pretty much disproves what you said.

If you want to debate his syntax, I could easily point out that he literally said the interface won't make itself prettier. That isn't what he meant.

Rocket has made it very clear on here, and in his posts on Reddit, that the GUI will not drastically improve. He did not say it will improve in time, he clearly went on to defend why the interface does not need to be pretty.

Stop feeding the trolls. If these fuckwits dont understand by now that the only challenging aspect of the UI is the HUD design then there is no hope. The art guys will smash the pretty stuff out in an afternoon between games of table tennis.

• Like 3

If you want to debate his syntax, I could easily point out that he literally said the interface won't make itself prettier. That isn't what he meant.

Rocket has made it very clear on here, and in his posts on Reddit, that the GUI will not drastically improve. He did not say it will improve in time, he clearly went on to defend why the interface does not need to be pretty.

... and the trolling continues. Iama feed him more.

Well, it's obviously not clear when so many people seem to disagree with you, no? Are you the only enlightened one of the bunch? Are you the messiah?