Xianyu

No more 50 cals!

You missed my point.

The variables simply aren't accounted for in DayZ.

Well if they did using a rifle would be damn near impossible to use and that would just be lame.

a video game can only do so much right now.

Well if they did using a rifle would be damn near impossible to use and that would just be lame.

a video game can only do so much right now.

This would be nice, no?

• Like 2

Well any shooter played on a PC is a matter of of pointing your mouse.

Making it incredibly realistic and difficult would kill sniping in the game.

If anything add some other variable to shooting high caliber rifles.

Such as scarce ammunition or even after the first shot you slowly get more in-accurate.

i think sometimes our imaginations start to run wild and we all forget were actually sitting in our home playing a video game.

and there just some aspects of reality that just can't be captured in a game.

Edited by methr1k2dop3
  • Like 1

This would be nice, no?

that looks awesome.

but i'm not a military sniper so a very in depth tutorial would be nice if they implemented something like that.

Such as scarce ammunition or even after the first shot you slowly get more in-accurate.

Well, that is the point. This ain't no shooter.

I dont like the .50 cal being removed, I want them being harder to use, with more realistic balistics. So only one in a hundred may know how to properly use this weapons. Same with choppas. This render the rifles and helis useless?? well, maybe for you mate. But that is also the point in getting better at playing. This is not Call of Duty where everybody is forced onto the same level with dumb-based mechanics and nerfings and all that crap. You suck at playing? what a shame. You rock? enjoy it. This has and must be a player-skilled based game.

• Like 3

I love how people bring out the 'realism' argument for things they don't agree with, it's so stupid.

Its a game people, tis supposed to be fun and entertaining not a chore.

It's why leg breaks are fixed with morphine not 6 months in a plaster with months of painful rehab.

It's why eating food regains health

It's why campfires take like 10 seconds to build.

and it;s why sniping only really requires zeroing and or mill dots + leading. It's not stupidly easy and not stupidly hard.

Gameplay decisions should be made on gameplay based reasons not some warped sense of what's realistic. If you want total realism, stop playing computer games and go out into reality.

I'm not particularly bothered about the removal of the .50 cals but at the same time they make the game fun for some people looking for and finding them.

Totally against the removal of choppers as well. On normal maps they are hard to find and take a long time to repair and after all that effort you can log off and someone has nicked it. But they are also fun, if you see some guys in chopper, run, hide or outplay them or accept you've been outgunned.

EDIT: At the above post. Some people don't have time to do that. Proper sniping isn't really about skill it's about hours and hours of practice and experience. You are essentially saying those who play the game much longer than others should get advantages. Sorry that's just wrong.

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

i think sometimes our imaginations start to run wild and we all forget were actually sitting in our home playing a video game.

and there just some aspects of reality that just can't be captured in a game.

• Like 2

Well, that is the point. This ain't no shooter.

I dont like the .50 cal being removed, I want them being harder to use, with more realistic balistics. So only one in a hundred may know how to properly use this weapons. Same with choppas. This render the rifles and helis useless?? well, maybe for you mate. But that is also the point in getting better at playing. This is not Call of Duty where everybody is forced onto the same level with dumb-based mechanics and nerfings and all that crap. You suck at playing? what a shame. You rock? enjoy it. This has and must be a player-skilled based game.

shooting is a big part in this game.

its what brought all these wonderful people together on this thread.

making it difficult to use high caliber rifles would not be in the best interest for the game.

like i said earlier i personally think adding a different kind of variable to using sniper rifles would be more efficient.

than just making it hell to use them.

I love how people bring out the 'realism' argument for things they don't agree with, it's so stupid.

It's why leg breaks are fixed with morphine not 6 months in a plaster with months of painful rehab.

and it;s why sniping only really requires zeroing and or mill dots + leading. It's not stupidly easy and not stupidly hard.

Gameplay decisions should be made on gameplay based reasons not some warped sense of what's realistic. If you want total realism, stop playing computer games and go out into reality.

I'm not particularly bothered about the removal of the .50 cals but at the same time they make the game fun for some people looking for and finding them.

Totally against the removal of choppers as well. On normal maps they are hard to find and take a long time to repair and after all that effort you can log off and someone has nicked it. But they are also fun, if you see some guys in chopper, run, hide or outplay them or accept you've been outgunned.

EDIT: At the above post. Some people don't have time to do that. Proper sniping isn't really about skill it's about hours and hours of practice and experience. You are essentially saying those who play the game much longer than others should get advantages. Sorry that's just wrong.

hats off to you sir!

i would give you more beans if had more =(

there are just aspects of reality that cant be successfully captured in a game.

I love sniping.

I hate easy sniping.

I hate that a twelve year old kid can pick up a virtual AS50 and kill me from over 500 metres away without more than a minute's training in the system.

I hate that the same twelve year old can destroy a helicopter, or a vehicle, with a single round from up to 1000 metres away with no practise. That isn't skill. That's pointing and clicking your fucking mouse.

I played BF3 for damn near 200 hours. The marksman role accounts for a third of that. So basically, 65 hours of sniping gameplay. I got to the point with the M98B, that I could headshot guys from any position, at any range. Sprinting, camping, sniping from a bunker. It didn't matter where they were, I could hit them. I could kill helicopter pilots with it. I was an absolute menace with it.

And why was I such a bastard with my M98B? Because I spent over fifty hours honing my skills with it to where I didn't even have to knowingly judge distances any more. I just eyeballed it, aimed above them, and took them out.

Is that an unfair advantage? Fuck no. That was ability. That was practice. That was a learned skill.

Now you try and tell me that using a one-shot-kill weapon with ridiculously accurate zeroing is in any way skillful. You can't. Because it's fucking not. It removed all skill and takes it down to a game mechanic that can be abused relentlessly by range finders and the map system itself. Combine that with the fact that the weapon is rapid-fire semi automatic, and you've got a recipe for a gun that makes it hard for you to miss your target.

And that's why I won't miss the AS50. That's why I relish the thought of it being gone from the mod forever. Especially if everyone switches to the DMR and has to learn to actually aim their weapons instead of having the game do it all for them.

And if wind is added, I'll be even happier. The more difficult, the better.

DayZ is about survival, not sitting on a hill and picking off survivors to get your jollies. If you want to be a sniper, it should be a skill that you learn. It should be a talent that is honed and practiced, and not a fucking dumbed-down game mechanic that is handed to you on a silver platter.

Within 300 metres? Fine. Have your easy shot. But beyond that it gets exponentially harder to hit anything smaller than a barn. That's realism. That's good game design.

If you want to pick people off with a sniper rifle, that's your prerogative. Fuck knows that I'll be doing the same to bandits. Because I love sniping. And I sure as hell love sniper rifles.

But it shouldn't be easy. And the 50 cals make it ridiculously easy. Hell, any of the zeroed sniper rifles make it easy. The 50's were just the most abusable of the lot.

• Like 9

I played BF3 for damn near 200 hours. The marksman role accounts for a third of that. So basically, 65 hours of sniping gameplay. I got to the point with the M98B, that I could headshot guys from any position, at any range. Sprinting, camping, sniping from a bunker. It didn't matter where they were, I could hit them. I could kill helicopter pilots with it. I was an absolute menace with it.

And why was I such a bastard with my M98B? Because I spent over fifty hours honing my skills with it to where I didn't even have to knowingly judge distances any more. I just eyeballed it, aimed above them, and took them out.

LOL, no you couldn't. I've seen 1000s of snipers in all FPS and they all talk up their game and they are all defeated easily because Snipers are extremely situational.

EDIT: It's also called 'Recon' in BF3, as in 'Reconnaissance', not sniper or marksmen. Snipers in BF3 loose teams objective based games because of their lack of flexibility.

My god some people talk some rubbish.

Lol, most 12 year olds in this game are atrocious they would struggle to hit a stationary cow at 50m. If a Kid has taken you out from 500m then your situational awareness is crap, you've not checked your surroundings and you've made yourself an easy target. It's no one elses fault but your own.

Honed your skills, do over, doesn't matter how good the sniper is if he's not allowed to get the shot he can't kill anything. Tactics and Brains over you supposed 'skill'. Playing a video game for X amount of hours doesn;t give you the right for anything.

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

I can still one-shot with my trusty M24. What do?

I played BF3 for damn near 200 hours. The marksman role accounts for a third of that. So basically, 65 hours of sniping gameplay.

Ah now the penny drops. Well then I suggest you go back to bf3 where theres no 50cals and it's been dumbed down to your level and play that.

@Intensity better watch out next they'll be removing all snipers from the game cause being able to kill from distance is overpowered ROFL.

*snip*

Have you ever played ArmA while using A.C.E? The add-ons added for sniping are incredible.

It actually takes into account many of the variables you actually would need to look into before firing (in other words, you need to have skill and knowledge other than picking up a gun and shooting to be good). Some of my favorites would have to be wind direction, having to apply the rule of triangles, and the actual difference in speed/velocity in calibers. Here's the topic on their wiki here.

Edited by Intensity on DayZ

@Intensity better watch out next they'll be removing all snipers from the game cause being able to kill from distance is overpowered ROFL.

Exactly, it will never stop once you start on this road. You'll be left with just boxing gloves as anything else that potentially causes someones death will be OP.

I live how on the one hand people say sniping in dayZ isn't realistic and then follow it up by saying it;s OP for .50 cals to kill in one shot. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Exactly, it will never stop once you start on this road. You'll be left with just boxing gloves as anything else that potentially causes someones death will be OP.

I live how on the one hand people say sniping in dayZ isn't realistic and then follow it up by saying it;s OP for .50 cals to kill in one shot. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't find any reason for the AS50, but the M107 is my baby and I'll dearly miss it. If the dev team for the mod would just get permission to use ACE in combination with DayZ, I think less people would complain about all the "1337 twelve-year old snipers" since it would require the skill and intentions to actually pick up a rifle and kill someone.

If they added ACE-mod levels of sniping realism to this game, I'd be the first to ask for the 50's to be added back in, OHK and all.

I would also be the first person to dance in place when I get fired on from over 500 metres by some twelve year old. Because they wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

LOL, no you couldn't. I've seen 1000s of snipers in all FPS and they all talk up their game and they are all defeated easily because Snipers are extremely situational.

EDIT: It's also called 'Recon' in BF3, as in 'Reconnaissance', not sniper or marksmen. Snipers in BF3 loose teams objective based games because of their lack of flexibility.

My god some people talk some rubbish.

Lol, most 12 year olds in this game are atrocious they would struggle to hit a stationary cow at 50m. If a Kid has taken you out from 500m then your situational awareness is crap, you've not checked your surroundings and you've made yourself an easy target. It's no one elses fault but your own.

Honed your skills, do over, doesn't matter how good the sniper is if he's not allowed to get the shot he can't kill anything. Tactics and Brains over you supposed 'skill'. Playing a video game for X amount of hours doesn;t give you the right for anything.

I'm sorry, but what? Have you ever watched me play BF3? Were you there when I was trolling a guy using the Mavevator by headshotting him WHILE he was ascending on top of his stupid little machine? I was recon/sniper because that's what I love to do. I'm the guy with the laser designator copping shit from enemy helicopters because I'm an asshole. And I played as part of a squad where my role was accepted AND useful. If they needed a target down that was causing them shit, I was the guy that did it.

But hey, you know heaps of other BF3 players.

Furthermore, your arguments are pure bullshit.

'made yourself an easy target'? Uh... huh.

So let me get this straight. Because I crawled/walk/ran into a town where some sniper is sitting watching, from 500+ metres away, I made myself an 'easy target'? I'm afraid that EVERYONE is an easy target when you have a 50 cal sniper rifle. I should know, I've been the one watching more often than not.

I think you'll find that a stationary sniper, laying down on his stomach, in the grass, is pretty much fucking impossible to spot from beyond 300 metres. Unless he's moving. And only stupid people turn their entire character's body instead of just moving their head with the ctrl key. And that's if the sniper is just laying down. If he's in a tree, it's even worse.

So I'm supposed to have 'situational awareness' over the entire map at all times? Uh... huh.

Tell you what. Pick a server. Get a friend (or make one, somehow), give this friend an AS50 and a ghillie suit, and have him camp SOMEWHERE on the map. Now try find him.

Good fucking luck.

By your logic, he should show up with a giant red bullseye the moment we get within 500 metres of him.

I KNOW where snipers camp and a lot of times I have trouble finding them.

No amount of 'tactics and brains' will beat a sniper laying in the grass with an AS50. Not in this mod. And if you think it does, then you are an incredibly, incredibly stupid person. Why? Because snipers can be on any hill, anywhere. Sure, there are some favorite spots. But they're not the be-all, end-all of sniping points. On top of buildings. On top of hills. The smart ones don't lay on the crests. The smart ones lay in the fields where they aren't silhouetted against the backdrop of the horizon or the sky.

The smart snipers are what we should be worried about.

The smart players should be the ones that beat us.

You should be thinking 'There's a guy out with there a .50 cal and he knows how to use it! I'm gonna DIE!'

Not 'there's a guy out there with a 50 cal, I'm gonna die!'

It's a subtle difference, and one I don't expect you to get through your skull any time soon, or even ever.

But it makes all the difference in the world to the people who play the game as it's meant to be, and not as a dumbed-down sniping simulation.

And you're right, playing a videogame for X amount of hours doesn't entitle me to shit. But it sure as fuck will make me better at it than someone who didn't play it that often. But you seem to think that that's an 'unfair advantage'. You talk about the slippery slope of 'weapon removal' like 'OMFG THEY'RE GONNA REMOVE EVERYTHING AND WE WON'T HAVE ANY MORE GUNS ANY MORE WAAAAH'

But to be perfectly honest, I'm not bothered with that argument. Because it's fucking stupid.

I'm far more frightened of people like you that think that all game mechanics should be dumbed down so that people who practise and hone their abilities are on the same footing as someone who only played for an hour.

That is fucking frightening.

• Like 2

Wish people would just remember that it's meant to be hard

I can hit guy with a cz from 800 metres yet can't hit a guy at 600 with a dmr because I'm a bad judge of distance without zeroing

I think people are just scared to admit that they actually lack skill with sniper rifles and know without the "hold your hand" mechanics that they will really suck at the sniping aspect of the game as I do

Ill be he first to admit I can't hit shit with a dmr and in fact in more and assault rifle person, give me an AKM/m16/lee Enfield and ill be able to hit you at 400 - 600m without much trouble but with a dmr I just can't seem to judge my shots because I get confused

If they removed zeroing from all snipers It would make the shooter rely on their skills far more

So many times I've been fired at by a sniper from over 500m away and outshot them with an assault rifle because they lacked any skill with a dmr, and been outshot easily by those that headshot me with a dmr from 1000m away which I have total respect for as they are clearly talentled

The last thing we need is everyone running around with the ability to look in someone's general direction and kill them instantly, it should require skill to survive, not care bear mode activated

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

You aint gaining levels, or magic skills like in a MMORPG where you're power ingame is proportional to the proximity between the geometrical shape of your chair and your ass. Having a character that needs 1000 hours, independently of how good or bad you play, to gain the maximum level is another way to force the same I was complaining before.

Here, if you're good, if you're talented, if you're not a 12 yo, you can be one of the best with just one week of playing. If you're just lame playing this type of games, you won't be a good player no matter how much time you spent in it.

I should call your post the Call of Duty Syndrome. Expecting the game will be randomized to the fullest so losers can have a chance to win. Then why spending time playing this? why not just pulling a lever and see if you win or lose like with a slot machine?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

If they added ACE-mod levels of sniping realism to this game, I'd be the first to ask for the 50's to be added back in, OHK and all.

I would also be the first person to dance in place when I get fired on from over 500 metres by some twelve year old. Because they wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I'm sorry, but what? Have you ever watched me play BF3? Were you there when I was trolling a guy using the Mavevator by headshotting him WHILE he was ascending on top of his stupid little machine? I was recon/sniper because that's what I love to do. I'm the guy with the laser designator copping shit from enemy helicopters because I'm an asshole. And I played as part of a squad where my role was accepted AND useful. If they needed a target down that was causing them shit, I was the guy that did it.

But hey, you know heaps of other BF3 players.

Furthermore, your arguments are pure bullshit.

'made yourself an easy target'? Uh... huh.

So let me get this straight. Because I crawled/walk/ran into a town where some sniper is sitting watching, from 500+ metres away, I made myself an 'easy target'? I'm afraid that EVERYONE is an easy target when you have a 50 cal sniper rifle. I should know, I've been the one watching more often than not.

I think you'll find that a stationary sniper, laying down on his stomach, in the grass, is pretty much fucking impossible to spot from beyond 300 metres. Unless he's moving. And only stupid people turn their entire character's body instead of just moving their head with the ctrl key. And that's if the sniper is just laying down. If he's in a tree, it's even worse.

So I'm supposed to have 'situational awareness' over the entire map at all times? Uh... huh.

Tell you what. Pick a server. Get a friend (or make one, somehow), give this friend an AS50 and a ghillie suit, and have him camp SOMEWHERE on the map. Now try find him.

Good fucking luck.

By your logic, he should show up with a giant red bullseye the moment we get within 500 metres of him.

I KNOW where snipers camp and a lot of times I have trouble finding them.

No amount of 'tactics and brains' will beat a sniper laying in the grass with an AS50. Not in this mod. And if you think it does, then you are an incredibly, incredibly stupid person. Why? Because snipers can be on any hill, anywhere. Sure, there are some favorite spots. But they're not the be-all, end-all of sniping points. On top of buildings. On top of hills. The smart ones don't lay on the crests. The smart ones lay in the fields where they aren't silhouetted against the backdrop of the horizon or the sky.

The smart snipers are what we should be worried about.

The smart players should be the ones that beat us.

You should be thinking 'There's a guy out with there a .50 cal and he knows how to use it! I'm gonna DIE!'

Not 'there's a guy out there with a 50 cal, I'm gonna die!'

It's a subtle difference, and one I don't expect you to get through your skull any time soon, or even ever.

But it makes all the difference in the world to the people who play the game as it's meant to be, and not as a dumbed-down sniping simulation.

And you're right, playing a videogame for X amount of hours doesn't entitle me to shit. But it sure as fuck will make me better at it than someone who didn't play it that often. But you seem to think that that's an 'unfair advantage'. You talk about the slippery slope of 'weapon removal' like 'OMFG THEY'RE GONNA REMOVE EVERYTHING AND WE WON'T HAVE ANY MORE GUNS ANY MORE WAAAAH'

But to be perfectly honest, I'm not bothered with that argument. Because it's fucking stupid.

I'm far more frightened of people like you that think that all game mechanics should be dumbed down so that people who practise and hone their abilities are on the same footing as someone who only played for an hour.

That is fucking frightening.

LOL.

No I've not watched you play BF3, but I have played a lot of BF3, a hell of a lot (much more than your 'bragged' hours) and I have played with literally thousands of players and I've seen literally hundreds of snipers so I can easily see your description of your 'Skills' is total BS.

LOL as well, you shot a guy moving upwards in a vertical line? yeh real tough shot.

As for 500m, 500? really man that's AR range, strap an Acog on an M16 and you will hit things at that range I'm sure people will start complaining about them once the whingers work their way through the other rifles.

As for your comments, I don't get shot at all often by guy's with snipers. Why? because I work around them simple as that, people are stupid, 12 year old kids are stupid, they make themselves obvious, they go to the obvious spots, they go to the same areas.

Yeh sometimes a camping guy will get you in the middle of nowhere, so what, some guy could hide in a bush and light you up with an AK as walk past or weight round a corner or a door, that's camping but it has no relevance to the argument. If we're going to go full realism should every sniper not have a spotter to hit at long distances? Should he need wind speed indicator gadgets? Should he have to drop pretty much everything he carries due to the weight of the rifle?

The realism argument is total 100% BS because this is a game, you die, some people get lucky, you get unlucky. get over it.

If some little kid kills you with an AS50, man up flank his ass and get him back. Or of course you could whine about sniping being too easy because you've spent 50 hours sniping in BF3 and think that entitles you to something. I see you've taken the whine option.

For the record as I stated earlier in the thread I couldn't give a toss about them taking out those guns, I use neither, however I don't like the reasons they have taken out those guns, because essentially whiners such as yourself inevitably make a lot of noise.

i'm all for removing crap that removes the feel of a zombie survival game. if it were up to me, the best weapons would be assault rifles, and when you saw a guy carrying an AK you would get your ass out of there. close-up fights are so much more intense. and i'd get rid of all helicopters. and most vehicles. and most of the ammo, make it really rare.

basically i'd make dayZ 2017 :D

Yeh sometimes a camping guy will get you in the middle of nowhere, so what, some guy could hide in a bush and light you up with an AK as walk past or weight round a corner or a door, that's camping but it has no relevance to the argument. If we're going to go full realism should every sniper not have a spotter to hit at long distances? Should he need wind speed indicator gadgets? Should he have to drop pretty much everything he carries due to the weight of the rifle?

Yes. Fucking. YES. Have any of the previous conversations permeated your skull yet? This is a game, sure. But it's meant to simulate real life. It's meant to be difficult and hard and there aren't meant to be any easy-mode bullshit handholding that is so prevalent in every other game. BF3, CoD, CS, and every other game included.

If you want to be able to kill someone at 1000 metres, it should require more training than just 'hey, press Page Up until that reader says '1000' and then put the crosshairs right on their chest for a sure kill! :D ' That is fucking terrible. And that is the bullshit that the 50 cal weapons brought to this game in force.

In real life, sniping requires mathematics and trigonometry to accomplish at extreme ranges. Bullet speed, air pressure, temperature, the Coriolis effect, the curvature of the earth, the rotation of the earth, the relative differences in height between you and your target. All of these things start to come into effect at extreme ranges.

So not only do you have to be aware of the wind (which can change three or more times between you and your target), the temperature, the distance, how fast your bullet travels, how fast your target is moving if at all, the relative height distance, and all that other shit, you even have to figure out where you are on the earth, and where your target is on the earth, so that you can account for how far the earth will turn and the effect it will have on the bullet's flight path between you and your target.

That is a frighteningly, insanely complicated procedure that requires the use of computers and/or charts for you to figure out in enough time to be able to make the shot.

It is a process that is reduced down to 'press page up or page down until you get the right distance and fire' in Arma 2. And if it went 'truly authentic' I would cheer.

Sniping in DayZ is actually easier than BF3, and that's saying something. Even just adding wind to a bullet's flight path would be enough to have a massive effect on the game.

And if you knew anything about the game, you would know that the 50's weren't removed because they were too good at close range. They were too good at any range. From 5 metres, to 5000. The 50 cal sniper rifles were the best in every single situation except if you were surrounded by ten thousand zombies and none of them had noticed you yet. And even then, I'd take the 50 and the chance I could outrun them all.

And at that point, it's not a case of being 'op'. It's not a case of 'whining'. It's a case of being a broken mechanic.

Unless you think that a 50 sniper rifle should be able to be used as well as an MP5 at close range?

Even with the removal of the 50's, it's only a stop-gap. The DMR, M24, and CZ550 can fulfill the same role with less ridiculously powerful results. The DMR can be used at close range as a spray weapon. But none of them can be used at close range to contend with assault rifles and SMG's with barely any contest.

The two 'top tier' weapons that are always above and beyond every single other gun in the game in all situations simply won't be there any more. Your choice of weapon will be situational instead of 'I'll take this until I find a 50'. And in terms of a GAME, that's much, much better.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-10/ch32.htm#s2p3

Educate yourself.

• Like 2

Now they remove the 50. cals. Good job. Last 6 months i played i haven't seen or heard a single one. Should have happend at the beggining when they were duplicated in tents.

I think the shot to kill hp should be more about where you are hit. Most guns in real life will kill you in 1 shot, depending on where you are hit, I don't see why it should be any different in game. Why should a makarov do less damage than any other pistol. The things that should be different from gun to gun is range, accuracy, size / weight of round, bullet drop etc. It shouldnt be about how many hit you, more about how and where.

I think the shot to kill hp should be more about where you are hit. Most guns in real life will kill you in 1 shot, depending on where you are hit, I don't see why it should be any different in game.

I would like it if they made new models with another couple small hitboxes near the heart or spine or something, so the head wasn't the only highly lethal zone.