THEOTHERJESTER

An Idea to Stop most of the PvP

Okay so first thing is that I am not suggesting we totally stop killing each other. I admit that even I enjoy the occasional murder now and again but that's besides the point.

A lot of people complain about how they are always killed by players either in the middle of nowhere or while they are scavenging for supplies in the middle of a city or town. I noticed that the majority of these people who were doing the killing (myself included) were using extremely powerful guns which can kill a player easily. Then I noticed that when I fired in the middle of Chern with maybe 600-800 infected on the server that only dozen or so came charging after me.

That's when it hit me. The guns are not loud enough, or at least the infecteds' hearing isn't good enough. If their hearing was increased then firing a gun would become a big "no-no". Like in all the zombie movies and tv shows we see, firing a gun is an extremely bad idea. It alerts them from miles away. This makes sense and even adds another factor of realism to the mod.

If this was implemented then we could possibly see a large decrease in the amount of murders in the game. It would no longer be a good idea to just shoot that survivor and take his gear because now you have to deal with an angry horde of infected that you just attracted. If you are on a high building and you fire, then you better hope you don't have to leave very soon because the infected would be attracted to the base of the building, stumbling over each other until they found a way to the top to eat you.

This would also encourage cooperation among survivors as one small group could distract a large number of infected so the others can raid a town for supplies.

I personally think this would be a good idea, but I would love to hear everyone else's ideas on the subject.

Guns are not very loud. Not anywhere near as loud as they are in real life, especially compared to how much noise players make. Running is nearly as loud as the guns are in this game, if number of zombies pulled is any indication.

Guns should be louder or movement should be quieter.

However, I have no idea why someone would want to stop anywhere near "most" of the PvP. That is just silly.

+1

I like it. its got to be worth a try to see how it pans out anyway. However this will just make SD weapons king, and every f'ing bandit will have SD weapons. Something would need to be done to balance that, extreme rarity of SD ammo maybe.

No. People just need to stop bitching about PVP and learn to live with it...

And maybe some other people need to learn to live with the fact the pvp is not the primary focus of this game and mechanics will be introduced to manipulate the gameplay (like heartbeat).

I'm sorry this isn't the mindless pvp DM sandbox you want but... wrong game dude.

Guns are very loud. The Lee and all snipers will pull them in from about 200m or more.

Yeah Shotguns are quiet, odd for them, maybe make them louder.

ARs are pretty loud. They'll pull in ones from about 75m or 100m.

Pistols are at good levels.

Stop complaining about PVP.

First off who is complaining about PvP? I said that I kill people myself and am not trying to do away with it. What I was trying to do is offer a suggestion to stop the constant accidental shoot on sight response that most everyone has. Nearly half of the suggestions on the forums at the moment are trying to implement ways to encourage cooperation, this would at least support that.

Even if this did decrease the rate of the PvP there would still be plenty left.

This would make PvP more difficult, its too easy as it is. I want more of a challenge when I go off and kill random survivors.

Not a bad idea.

At the moment it's too easy for people to simply ignore zombies completely and go around playing the mod like a open-world PvP deathmatch game with loot.

Rocket already seems to have the right idea with the latest updates in trying to shift the emphasis back onto surviving zombies... but making guns louder, or zombies more aware and responsive to gunshots could take that a step further and really make players think twice about killing other players on sight.

Okay so first thing is that I am not suggesting we totally stop killing each other. I admit that even I enjoy the occasional murder now and again but that's besides the point.

A lot of people complain about how they are always killed by players either in the middle of nowhere or while they are scavenging for supplies in the middle of a city or town. I noticed that the majority of these people who were doing the killing (myself included) were using extremely powerful guns which can kill a player easily. Then I noticed that when I fired in the middle of Chern with maybe 600-800 infected on the server that only dozen or so came charging after me.

That's when it hit me. The guns are not loud enough' date=' or at least the infecteds' hearing isn't good enough. If their hearing was increased then firing a gun would become a big "no-no". Like in all the zombie movies and tv shows we see, firing a gun is an extremely bad idea. It alerts them from miles away. This makes sense and even adds another factor of realism to the mod.

If this was implemented then we could possibly see a large decrease in the amount of murders in the game. It would no longer be a good idea to just shoot that survivor and take his gear because now you have to deal with an angry horde of infected that you just attracted. If you are on a high building and you fire, then you better hope you don't have to leave very soon because the infected would be attracted to the base of the building, stumbling over each other until they found a way to the top to eat you.

This would also encourage cooperation among survivors as one small group could distract a large number of infected so the others can raid a town for supplies.

I personally think this would be a good idea, but I would love to hear everyone else's ideas on the subject.

[/quote']

I'd probably be more ok with these suggestions if you didn't word the title the way you did. There's nothing wrong with PVP and no reason to "stop" it. The problem is there needs to be more incentive to play together.. especially strangers. Right now.. there's only a few reasons and it's hard to trust. PVP itself is not a problem and very much a part of the survival aspect of the game.

However I like a lot of your suggestions.

I like the principle, but there's nothing to stop the killer just firing and disconnecting.

I will jump on board by saying i do not want to STOP PvP... but there should be REAL consequences to killing another human during an extinction level event like this. In the real world it would be necessity to band together (how many of the zombie movies are people ALONE?)

But I think the guns are well done except that the Lee should pull people from MUCH further (doesnt it use a 30-06 round?). an AR15/M16/M4 is easy to hear out to about 200m or more, and even a suppressed M4 (I own a Gemtech HALO suppressor) is actually audible pretty far (though hard to locate even at 25m) and for those of you who dont go shooting much... subsonic ammunition has a hard time cycling most AR15/M4/M16 style weapons, so you could theoretically make subsonic ammo single shot, and make regular ammo easy to detect. Same with pistols that werent built for subsonic ammo.

it is an good idea but what will you do if a zerd see you through a wall or hear you (glitch/bug or mistake) and attack you ??

@ MiniLink - Personally I would either go through a building to lose it or run down a step hill so it kills itself on the fall. I don't like wasting ammo as it is already because the guns I have ammo is hard to come by and I rather not waste it capping one zombie only to bring 20 more.

This idea makes players think twice about their decisions and would bring an entirely new level of anxiety into the mix.

@ Tolil - Yes I agree with you about the whole disconnecting thing. You cant really stop someone from doing that (Although I am in favor of a 10 second countdown timer before logging out).

@ Kling - I like what you are saying. There is another forum around which is talking about how zombies should be attracted to the direction of the gunfire not the player himself. I don't think zombies should instantly have a fix on your location (that would make the game FAR TOO difficult) but they should turn their head and start walking towards the sound the investigate.

If they were attracted to gunfire you could EASILY take someone with a cannon of some sort and go to one end of town, fire it off, get in a car and drive like hell... while the other person sneaks into the place and is able to get more gear. It could be a cool mechanic and consisent with zombie lore

No. People just need to stop bitching about PVP and learn to live with it...

And maybe some other people need to learn to live with the fact the pvp is not the primary focus of this game and mechanics will be introduced to manipulate the gameplay (like heartbeat).

I'm sorry this isn't the mindless pvp DM sandbox you want but... wrong game dude.

Been said before the biggest threat in the game is other players. Don't see how you think PvP isn't the focus of the game.

I'm sorry this isn't the mindless PvE scripted fight sandbox you want but...wrong game dude.

For those that don't think guns are loud enough, go fire a 50 cal in the middle of cherno and see how many zombies you get. Friend fired one round from an AKM at the fire station in NW airfield. We easily killed 35 zombies because of it.

If someone takes the time to clear portions of the city of zombies, and then uses their primary, they aren't going to get a lot of zombies because they did some work before they just started shooting their gun. Cherno is a highly populated area player wise. It isn't very uncommon to not find that many zombies in the city if there is a lot of PvP going on. But if there is a lot of players in an area, and no PvP going on, shooting your primary will attract more than 12 zombies.

Some guns are loud and some aren't, so many times I have fired roughly 30 meters from a town to only attract 1 or 2 zombies. Now I stress that at that range I use shotguns and rifles and I constantly fire inside Chernogorsk and no zombies notice me at all.

I'm not saying all guns are quiet, but most aren't anywhere near the level of noise that they should be making if you compare them to simply running.

Learn to title your threads better..

To what comes to weapon sounds, yeah they could be "louder", or the zed trigger mechanism should be a little more sensitive.

For the ppl who want limited pvp, go play some rpg.

Imo the gain% vs. loss% there is in cooperating with a stranger is perfect as it is. Just as "realistic" as it could be, because it is all based on player interactions. The game doesn't need a separate reward-mechanism for cooperation, because it is already there.

You cooperate, you will do better, sometimes it doesn't pay off and you will be left behind with a 9mm round in the kneecap for the amusement of the zombies chasing you.

What makes day z so much fun is just that human element.

Deal with it or go play something else.

I haven't even read what you wrote here.

I just had to read the title "An Idea to Stop most of the PVP". You started this thread with the idea of removing the pvp. You might have not wrote it in the post but you did it in the title.

Just understand that pvp is part of the game.

Rocket just gave you the chance to hear your heartbeat when you meet a player with low humanity. That's really everything you need.

I like this idea, its much more realistic as long as its not over done. I think even if it did not cut down on overall pvp it would definatly cut down on back stabbers.

Imagine you are clearing a house with someone you literally just met, there isnt a lot of trust in the air, but you still have to turn your back to loot a pile of supplies in the corner, your new found ally sees you aquire something valuable and then kills you for it, because he has the advantage with you not looking, he has no risk, and he gets what he wants/needs.

Now this would not happen if firing your gun meant bringing down the hoard, or it would at least cut down the back stabbing behaviour, it would definatly make people think twice over shooting their ally for a specific item when in a zombie populated area, the risk is not worth the reward.

You could feel somewhat safer around strangers, because you know that only a moron would kill you and bring all the zombies you just past down on himself just for the ak you picked up.

It will make people more reluctant to use guns, especially 1-shot-kill weapons. If they only follow the sound though, as long as you KEEP MOVING you'll be able to avoid most of the mess...