THEOTHERJESTER

An Idea to Stop most of the PvP

@ Capercaillie - I never said anything about a reward system, and I have no clue what you are talking about. I said that this will encourage people to work together. I once again am not trying to end PvP please read the rest of the posts before saying something that has been said before.

@ Mikyjax - Exactly. And I know about the name, my mistake entirely.

@ Kling - Yes that is what this idea is about, making people more reluctant to use guns. Also I'm trying to suggest this largely out of accuracy to zombie lore and what makes sense logically.

@ Tassadarh - If you bothered to read the rest of my posts you would have seen that I've already acknowledge my poor choice in naming this thread.

@Zyromkiru - By "realistically loud" I'm talking about how far the sound travels not necessarily the volume of the gunshot. I thought that it was understood that I meant thee distance the sound travels but my wording might not make that clear.

@ Zipper - I've fired a 50 cal before in the middle of Chern (or at least what I think is the middle) and only about 5 military zombies came running after me. I've thrown explosives and the results are the same. If you fire a 50 cal (or any other large firearm) on the East side of Chern you can hear if from the Church at the west. You can't make out the exact location of the shot but you know from what general direction it came from (if you have good enough speakers). I'm suggesting that if you fire your gun the zombies will turn and begin walking to that location. Now maybe you are in a building getting supplies and you fired at the one zombie blocking the stairs. Well once you get your supplies and leave you notice that there is a large amount of zombies shambling towards you. Now your escape plan is botched and you need to find a new way out. This idea make a player have to be more careful and give melee weapons and the crossbow more of a practical use. It also adds a some new twists to the repetitive cycle of scavenging. And once again no one said anything about me trying to turn this into a PvE RPG, I have no intentions to stop killing other players. ArmA is a military simulator, so DayZ would then technically be simulator as well, so we would be adding another element of realism to the game.

@ Insaniac - Yes that is what I mean. Cherno is supposed to be crawling with infected yet firing a gun thirty meters away from a zombie doesn't seem to attract him.

I agree with this idea. I often travel with no weapons. Most people will think I am mental, but if you travel correctly and safely, you never need a gun, plus you weigh less, so you are much more mobile. Although you starting pack holds eight items, I like to grab the vest, which only holds six. People think I am stupid for this, but it also weighs less, thus improving mobility, and it gives people another reason to not shoot me; because I am less likely to have good loot. I always go by the saying "Don't kill other survivors. At the very least, befriend them so the zombies can eat them as you run away." I have always looked at shooting a survivor as a waste of ammo just over a can of beans, or to replace the ammo you used, or less and finding ammo you don't need. You are correct. In old zombie movies; if someone fires a gun in a city.. They get ****ed.

WHAT? Gtfo carebear. If you want to end PvP go play Chernarus Apocalypse.

No. People just need to stop bitching about PVP and learn to live with it...

And maybe some other people need to learn to live with the fact the pvp is not the primary focus of this game and mechanics will be introduced to manipulate the gameplay (like heartbeat).

I'm sorry this isn't the mindless pvp DM sandbox you want but... wrong game dude.

The original ArmA 1-2 multiplayer modes were PvP missions.

If I have to spent hours and hours to find good weapons and equipment, then there is NO WAY I'm going to trust anyone after that. I'd rather shoot first than take any risks.

WHAT? Gtfo carebear. If you want to end PvP go play Chernarus Apocalypse.

You seem to have failed to read the entire thread. No where at all have I suggested ending PvP. My first sentence even reads that I do not wish to and that I myself kill survivors for no good reason besides for fun.

If your going to leave a comment at least bother to read the entirety of the thread before you start calling people names.

Guns are not very loud. Not anywhere near as loud as they are in real life

your volume is too low or your soundcard, speakers and ears are shit

ARMA's sounds are recorded on location, and the reports of most rifles crack my skull

+1

Guns need to draw more zombies.

That being said, footsteps should draw fewer zombies than guns.

In both cases, they should only prompt investigation, not instant targeting.

But this could also be used to draw all the infected out of towns, thereby making looting a breeze, so I'm not completely sure it's a great idea.

@ edonovan - Yes I agree with you totally. I don't think zombies should instantly know your location. Any sound that a zombie hears should prompt an investigation.