Sign in to follow this  
CannedPakes

How to Really Increase FPS?

After turning EVERYTHING down to low and very low, I still get a small bit of notable lag. Is there any other way that doesn't involve buying a better processor? I already have an i5. Would getting a better graphics card change it? Also, if I do want upgrade to an i7, would it fit in where an i5 was?

Buy a quantum supercomputer?

How about instead of trying to raise your post count, type in something that takes more than 5 seconds to think of, or even something that would help.

How about instead of trying to raise your post count, type in something that takes more than 5 seconds to think of, or even something that would help.

Without buying a new computer - FPS does not increase.

lies

• Like 5

^Goes out and buys a new computer every time his FPS is below 50.
  • Like 2

What's your average FPS right now? What resolution are you playing on?

• Like 1

What's your average FPS right now? What resolution are you playing on?

My fps is usually somewhere around 20-25. I'll have to check res on friday.

My fps is usually somewhere around 20-25. I'll have to check res on friday.

I get that with a much older system. How much memory are you packing? What kind of graphics card do you have?

Exactly..what are your specs first.

• Like 1

YES i7 will fit in i5 and its worth getting, maybe a better coling system aswell.

stob bieng a beta asfuk i5 and become an ALPHA i7

I'm sorry, but I will have to tell everyone my specs on friday! I sent it to a computer place to get it cleaned a bit. My friend works there, he does it for like $2.

Navigate to C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\ArmA 2\ArmA2OA.cfg and open the file with notepad. Read the values until you get to "GPU_MaxFramesAhead" and "GPU_DetectedFramesAhead". Change both of their values to 1, this will dramatically increase your FPS. Also, assuming you have a quad-core CPU with 4 or more GB of RAM, open DayZ Commander, open the settings tab, under "Additional Launch Parameters" enter this:

-cpuCount=8 -noPause -exThreads=7 -maxmem=4096 -noSplash

That will increase how many CPUs ArmA can use, disable pausing when minimizing the game and turn off unnecessary loading screens. It will also allow ArmA to use 4GB of RAM rather than the default which I believe is 2GB. Let me know if you get any FPS increase from that.

Navigate to C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\ArmA 2\ArmA2OA.cfg and open the file with notepad. Read the values until you get to "GPU_MaxFramesAhead" and "GPU_DetectedFramesAhead". Change both of their values to 1, this will dramatically increase your FPS. Also, assuming you have a quad-core CPU with 4 or more GB of RAM, open DayZ Commander, open the settings tab, under "Additional Launch Parameters" enter this:

-cpuCount=8 -noPause -exThreads=7 -maxmem=4096 -noSplash

That will increase how many CPUs ArmA can use, disable pausing when minimizing the game and turn off unnecessary loading screens. It will also allow ArmA to use 4GB of RAM rather than the default which I believe is 2GB. Let me know if you get any FPS increase from that.

Hmm, I will definitely try this.

It depends exactly which CPU you have, not all i5 and i7 CPUs use the same socket.

Also, a lot of i5s outperform their i7 counterparts in ARMA, most i7s are just i5s with hyperthreading (which isn't useful for gaming at all). You'd be best off with something like an i5 2500k or 3570k unless you plan on shelling out a small fortune on an i7 3770k or better from the i7 range.

And those startup paramaters won't help you at all, lol. Try these instead...

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=1024 -xp -High -noSplash

I'm assuming that you have a 1Gb graphics card here, change maxVRAM to 512 or 2047 or however many Mbs of video memory that you have if need be. Make sure that video memory is set to 'default' in your in-game graphics options too.

Also, make sure antialiasing and post-process effects are disabled completely, they eat a lot of FPS.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 3

It depends exactly which CPU you have, not all i5 and i7 CPUs use the same socket.

Also, a lot of i5s outperform their i7 counterparts in ARMA, most i7s are just i5s with hyperthreading (which isn't useful for gaming at all). You'd be best off with something like an i5 2500k or 3570k unless you plan on shelling out a small fortune on an i7 3770k or better from the i7 range.

And those startup paramaters won't help you at all, lol. Try these instead...

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=1024 -xp -High -noSplash

I'm assuming that you have a 1Gb graphics card here, change maxVRAM to 512 or 2047 or however many Mbs of video memory that you have if need be. Make sure that video memory is set to 'default' in your in-game graphics options too.

Also, make sure antialiasing and post-process effects are disabled completely, they eat a lot of FPS.

I'll try this also. I'll also see if my i5 is dual or quad.

If it's a dual-core then use =cpuCount=2 and -exThreads=5. The majority of desktop i5s are quads though.

If you Google the model then you should find an ark.intel.com page with the full specs including which socket it uses.

• Like 1

What are your specs? Just an i5 isn't really a good indicator as to why you're getting low FPS.

Edited by AussieStig

I play on an 2.1Ghz i3 laptop and get low, but playable framerates at 1280x720. Turn off post-processing, anti-aliasing and shadows. Shadows are the real killer - if you can't run them on high or better, best to turn them off... putting them on normal or low shifts more burden to the CPU. Upgrading to an i7 can help. In fact, I'm thinking of doing that.

I play on an 2.1Ghz i3 laptop and get low, but playable framerates at 1280x720. Turn off post-processing, anti-aliasing and shadows. Shadows are the real killer - if you can't run them on high or better, best to turn them off... putting them on normal or low shifts more burden to the CPU. Upgrading to an i7 can help. In fact, I'm thinking of doing that.

My game is playable, but it irritates me that when I want to stop turning in first person, my view keeps moving slightly. I have anything that I can play without disable, low, or very low.

My game is playable, but it irritates me that when I want to stop turning in first person, my view keeps moving slightly. I have anything that I can play without disable, low, or very low.

That is mouse smoothing you are talking about. Always disable it. You can find it at control options just slide it all the way off to the left