tocophonic

So I went to the real Chernarus today..

..yes I know that the idea of visiting the real-life Chernarus isn't that new anymore and that quite some DayZ fans have been there by now already - still, i wanted to share the impressions of my short trip (only had about 1 hour, was travelling by car) with you. It was kind of a spontaneous idea to go there (i took a detour there while i was on my way home from Germany to Austria), that's why i didnt have my DSLR with me which would have made way better pictures than my phone. Well, actually for a phone they are not that bad .. you just need to put enough filters and effects on them :D

So, here it is, my short trip to Chernarus:

http://imgur.com/a/dmXis

And here, also some photo spheres I made with my Nexus 4 while i was there (might not work with all browsers, definitely working with Chrome):

http://sphereshare.n...730130724627fb8

http://sphereshare.n...6af89a9e8bb136e

http://sphereshare.n...ea36aecb3f1771f

It was a cool trip, albeit a little short. You can feel a DayZ atmosphere when you are there, it's intense. I definitely want to visit Chernarus again some day, this time with my fellow DayZ mates. And then I wanna get out of Stary with more than just a can of beans... ;)

EDIT: Added some ingame perspective shots to the gallery. will add more later or if asked to :)

(small edit: changed the imgur URL so it leads to my user gallery instead to an anonymous one)

Edited by Peter Silie
  • Like 38

Awesome! Love the spheres! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Whew. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Yeah, the trip made me want to play DayZ on the Chernarus again a bit more than i did recently. Granted, there are many great maps to play DayZ on but - cross my heart - Chernarus is the real deal.

• Like 1

Those aren't the real names of the towns/villages, right?

Those aren't the real names of the towns/villages, right?

No, those aren't the real villages' names. I updated the imgur gallery now with the real names of the towns/villages. :)

• Like 1

The can of beans in the picture, was that one you brought along or something someone else had placed placed there?

The can of beans in the picture, was that one you brought along or something someone else had placed placed there?

That might give away the "magic" now but as i want to be honest: I brought them with me. Thankfully a local supermarket had some in stock. :)

Would have been WAY cooler though if someone really put them there.. just for the next DayZ fan to arrive :D

Edited by Peter Silie
  • Like 2

Very nice, but no green mountain? It's ok I would have been afraid too! :)

• Like 1

I say we round up some of our favorite forum buddies here, and make a movie. I'd need a lot of CGI to make it look like there is an ocean, and it'd be a tight budget. But we could do it, and I'm sure some of the people on this forum could use an hour or two outside of their bedroom :P

Its so amazing I would love to go visit Chernarus.

That might give away the "magic" now but as i want to be honest: I brought them with me. Thankfully a local supermarket had some in stock. :)

Would have been WAY cooler though if someone really put them there.. just for the next DayZ fan to arrive :D

Please tell me you left them there.

Is the entire map of Chernarus based off this general area? Eg. if you took Chernarus, border to border, and placed it directly over this area, would it look similar?

Stunning photos, a massive thanks for sharing Peter. Now I'm keen to know what it looks like at night lit up with flares!

Did you have to repair the car or was it fixed when you found it? Good thing you didn't run into any bandits. Imagine how long it would have taken to run back to your body.

• Like 1

This is quite incredible. What I find amazing is how much the "real" Chernarus resembles parts of the Pennsylvania countryside. Thank you for sharing these great pics, and the spheres did work for me on Chrome.

• Like 1

Superb pictures! And I was quite impressed at how the game feels very close to the real thing. Kudos to the devs