Just wait for SA then. Don't play the mod, if you want to play Dayz+ I believe it is. In the SA and Dayz+ the zombies are going to be and are much stronger, and it forces teamwork among players. I am pretty sure Rocket will add other situations or something to make teamwork a normal thing, but as of right now the game isn't even in Alpha so teamwork is broken right now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

But I will say to start working on the teamwork stuff now, they should take out anything highpowered and practically anything military. Make Ak's top tier by dropping all other top tier weapons. Make a CZ the only sniper rifle. Take out M16's or just make them as rare as a m107's or something. That is just my opinion.

Edited by BearGravy

Over time the mod has slowly drifted toward a more PvP based environment, not because of the "CoD Kids" but because at some point you realise that this game is no longer My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. This mod started out very small, at that time people worked together (for what reason? I don't know). Then one foggy Chernarus morning someone decided to kill someone for a can of beans. The man who lost his beans is pretty mad at this point. He goes to steal someone elses beans. Oh snap! YOU JUST TOOK MY BEANS,

I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!

Living the life of a survivor is not an easy one, especially when you could just kill someone... People have learned this over time, so the general attitude of the players in the game has changed. That is what makes this a sandbox game. You, the player, made it what it is today.

At what point do all the people in the world lose their insanity after all they have been through the apocalypse, I know if this happened to me I would definitely be out there killing to survive.

Edited by Beck

Remove rules and add zombies to real life and people would group together to survive, do it in a video game and they will shoot each other to have fun. I think the SA will change this to a degree, but at the moment that's how it is in DayZ and for me it's not perfect but better than nothing.

But I will say to start working on the teamwork stuff now, they should take out anything highpowered and practically anything military. Make Ak's top tier by dropping all other top tier weapons. Make a CZ the only sniper rifle. Take out M16's or just make them as rare as a m107's or something. That is just my opinion.

I agree with this and I think making it harder for people to kill others is a step in the right direction, but then you risk alienating a section of the community. Ideally I'd hope that the mod has more weapons added with the focus on player combat and the SA goes the other way to focus more on survival. I watch with interest.

I agree with substantially reducing the chances of finding a high grade military weapons. Also ammo should be harder to come by and weapons should decay over time. The better the weapon the more care it needs to work properly,which in effect means the faster it decays and needs fixing.

Also, Zeds should be more persistant in chasing players and escaping their sight should be harder so that killing them is the best way to survive the encounter. Running with full backpack should exaust you after 500m and slow you down making Zeds to close in on you and force you to fight for you life.

Now you will start counting bullets and think before wasting any on other players for no reason. How much ammo will you need to survive aggroing 5-10 zombies in the next town? 1 magazine or maybe 2? Perhaps only half if I team up with another survivor? You know, just to give give you second thoughts before going trigger happy next time.

Meh, did anyone really expect anything else when you dump a bunch of gamers into Chernarus and then flood the map with 50 different types of handguns, rifles and machine guns?

I'm pretty sure players would still kill each other if the map was flooded with 50 different types of ways to help each other and only 5 guns.

• Like 1

Right.

I play DayZ because I like the survival aspect of the game. It was my understanding that this is what Rocket had in mind. Surviving against the odds, fighting off zombies and the environment and other people to get by.

I've no issue with fighting other people. But only as far as the survival aspect of the game forces you into the position of conflict. You don't know who you can trust so there will be occasions where you end up fighting other survivors. That's fine and sensible and a natural part of the game.

However, it seems to me that fighting other people is pretty much the only real reason the vast majority of people play this game. I like it as a part of the experience, not as the primary focus. That's called ARMA...

Obviously, the mod cannot hold up this experience that I'm looking for in the PVE stakes because the zombies are manageable and the environment is otherwise safe as long as you keep some food and water on you... I'm hoping the SA will fix this by filling the environment with dangers, making weapons harder to come by, zombies becoming a bigger threat etc etc etc...

But as much as I think the SA will turn out to be more the game that I am hoping for. I hold VERY little hope it will become populated with people other than all the CoD/ARMA/CS/BF kiddies and griefing nobs.

Fed up and sad and those are my thoughts on the matter, these are the reasons I'm now giving up on the mod and why I quite probably won't play the SA.

Am I wrong? Am I expecting too much? Is this the wrong game? Is it *supposed* to be a PVP sandbox for kids to run around shooting each other because there aren't enough games like that already?

You don't quite understand.

The game itself is harsh. If you are able to cope with the brutality of the game, you have the right to spend your time within that game in whatever what you please. That is how life works.

It just so happens that most people choose PvP. Oh well. There's a thousands of people who don't choose to do this, but those people are harder to find as they are avoiding people.

I agree with substantially reducing the chances of finding a high grade military weapons. Also ammo should be harder to come by and weapons should decay over time. The better the weapon the more care it needs to work properly,which in effect means the faster it decays and needs fixing.

Also, Zeds should be more persistant in chasing players and escaping their sight should be harder so that killing them is the best way to survive the encounter. Running with full backpack should exaust you after 500m and slow you down making Zeds to close in on you and force you to fight for you life.

Now you will start counting bullets and think before wasting any on other players for no reason. How much ammo will you need to survive aggroing 5-10 zombies in the next town? 1 magazine or maybe 2? Perhaps only half if I team up with another survivor? You know, just to give give you second thoughts before going trigger happy next time.

Why would I start counting bullets??? Don't be so naive, I'll just kill you and take yours, take what I need and give the rest to my teammates. And quite frankly zeds need to be a lot smarter if there going to present any sort of decent challenge other than their numbers.

Why would I start counting bullets??? Don't be so naive, I'll just kill you and take yours, take what I need and give the rest to my teammates. And quite frankly zeds need to be a lot smarter if there going to present any sort of decent challenge other than their numbers.

Not likely if you have a better weapon than mine, and with scarce ammo supplies you can safely assume that I too have a very limited amount of it. Would you risk wasting your single m16 magazine in a fire fight with me just to end up with my double-barrel shotgun with 3 bullets left? Sure you could take my weapon and carry yours until you find more magazines but with low ammo supplies it will take you a while and until then your m16 is only a burden that wastes inventory space. Or you could hide it in a tent and risk someone else finding it.

As for Zeds, they indeed need to be smarter. No one wastes ammo on Zeds now because running around a corner or behind a pine tree is enough to lose aggro. It should be harder, ie possibility to get tired after sprinting several hundred meters is both realistic and makes Zeds much of a bigger challenge since most encounters will end up shooting them down to survive. That is if you have enough bullets left.

I think the problem is it's impossible to make it more 'realistic' (as in people working together more often etc) because it's a game, and there are some things that games just cannot replicate.

In the near future I guess there could be virtual reality technology like from the Matrix or something that could simulate pain, exhaustion, panic etc. which would make playing a game much more real, you might not care about picking a firefight now but if it felt real enough you will probably be too scared.

Not likely if you have a better weapon than mine, and with scarce ammo supplies you can safely assume that I too have a very limited amount of it. Would you risk wasting your single m16 magazine in a fire fight with me just to end up with my double-barrel shotgun with 3 bullets left? Sure you could take my weapon and carry yours until you find more magazines but with low ammo supplies it will take you a while and until then your m16 is only a burden that wastes inventory space. Or you could hide it in a tent and risk someone else finding it.

snip

Yes but then you would have an m16 AND a shotgun, who knows maybe later you could find a stash of shotgun ammo on a farm. It's nice to have more options

Edited by Chris529
  • Like 1

Yes but then you would have an m16 AND a shotgun, who knows maybe later you could find a stash of shotgun ammo on a farm. It's nice to have more options

Who knows maybe you'll carry that m16 for days without finding a single mag for it. Maybe you'll pass on AK Cobra than find two AK mags the next day, who knows.

Edited by Ypsan

hmm.. i didnt know i was such a rare specimen..

i am mostly friendly, i play the game not for the PvP but for the survival and scavenging (i am a loot whore deep in my heart, if i founded a clan, it would be called "Your Inventory is Full") and i dont avoid hotspots. i run around with my hatchet, benny hill theme playing in the back of my head, around in bere, cherno or elektro, always on the lookout for "moar lewt" - especially those gorgeous, shiny windscreens...

i also run around the plains and look for heli crash sites.. not because of the guns, but because hatcheting the pilots is fun and they might drop NVGs which i could give away or trade for windscreens..

and as for the SA, i hope for two things: massively higher PvE difficulty, and - you guessed it - massively moar lewt! PvPers? i dun care for them.. sometimes they kill me, sometimes i kill them.. after all, its dayz :D

i really, really would love to see ammo of ANY kind become as rare as high-grade military weapons are now.. where every single bullet is worth a dozen full jerry cans or half a dozen windscreens...

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

It's odd for me really. As an older gamer I think back to 'Quake 2' and 'Quake 3' and 'Unreal Tournament' the original, which were my first experiences with the online deathmatch, along with games like the original Tribes. I enjoyed the heck out of those experiences, struggling with a slower internet connection in the late 90's and early 2000's, but nevertheless addicted to blasting other players nonstop for hours, Megadeth or Metallica or Cathedral blaring though my headphones.

I think that the reason the deathmatch aspect of those aforementioned games was so much fun was because that was all there was to do pretty much no matter the game mode you played them in. That is also why the deathmatch aspect of a game like DayZ can get so annoying, because there is so much more depth to the title. Really what you have is a collision of play styles in DayZ that causes much discord among the community. Not everyone is playing the same game, even though everyone is playing DayZ. Can you dig it?

But, that is also what can make it so suspenseful and interesting. OP I hope you stick around and give it another go.

• Like 1

So true, there is so much more to Dayz, there is hacking(30% of the player base) and vehicle collecting(30% of the player base) and being powerful admins(30% of the player base)

So 10% or so are playing a survival game.

AI is predictable and limited. It can eventually be taken advantage of almost every time. Not so with other players.

Edited by SteveLord
  • Like 1

AI is predictable and limited. It can eventually be taken advantage of almost every time. Not so with other players.

Sometimes people aren't looking for the ultimate challenge in every game they play, Sometimes the immersion is more important within the game. I play several other online games for pvp and love the challenge of pitting myself against another player, an unknown quantity. But I feel there is something more to this DayZ concept, something more than just 'sandbox' even. Maybe a chance for a different experience? I don't know exactly, it is certainly a different online experience as it stands today, and different to how it was a year ago, but I think it's not too far away from the possible creation of a whole new genre. I'd like to be able to say I was there at the beginning if it is...

In the standalone they simply need to increase the zombie damage with every zombie hit and increase the percentage chance of getting ill/infected.

That way, with zombies spawned everywhere by default and in vast numbers, it won't be worth it to go guns blazing in a city as you'll get swarmed and die. You'll need to pick your shots more carefully, therefore reducing the aggression, or team up with others to handle the zombie threat - which in turn increases player interaction and grouping.

Don't cater for the people who expect an easy game. Make zombies tough, or don't bother.

Edited by Mr Mouse

Mr mouse

Ill tell you what I've been saying all along

When dayz+ first came out with the high zombie damage, I could let a bandit shoot at me, take cover and laugh as zombies tore him apart as the usual tactic of standing there getting hit whole shooting people was no use

Most bandits left in minutes spamming side chat with how stupid hard hitting zombies were because they couldn't kill anyone

Eventually only the strong groups of bandits remained, the rest of the server helping each other when needed because at some point you would end up having to shoot zombies or they would down you in a couple if hits leaving you crippled meaning you would need aid and teaming up was a safer option

If the standalone was more like this it will be a better experience for all

Only the strong skilled bandits will survive and the rest if us will be banding together and helping each other

And all they did in dayz+ to the zombies was give them brutal damage, they were still easy to lose ect but you couldn't just run in and loot and you couldn't go around Cherno gunning down everyone because you would last a few minutes at best

In conclusion I agree with you mr. Mouse

We need to be taught the meaning if survival

I too agree with Mr Mouse. The zombies need to be far more difficult, and far more in numbers.

• Like 1

Why is it everyday I see a post like this, if you are really fed up with the game, why don't you get off the forums and leave...

dosent take a autist to understand why he made the post telling hes fed up with dayz...but ill explain the obvious for u, he made the post because he cares about dayz and wants to play it, the problems he encounter he will seek a solution too by conferring with his dayzcolleagues here at the forum...hence he made the post. The "im fed up with dayz" reflects that this problem also frustrates him to a cetain degree.

Hope that helps for u subautist fellow

• Like 2

When dayz+ first came out with the high zombie damage, I could let a bandit shoot at me, take cover and laugh as zombies tore him apart as the usual tactic of standing there getting hit whole shooting people was no use

This is what annoys me most about zombies. I so much as kick a rock and no less than half a dozen come for me. A bandit or sniper take potshots all day long with their "very loud" rifles and there hardly seems to be the same interest from zombies. Even smaller weapons should attract many.

I agree that zombies need to be harder but with their moving path and weird running I don't think it's a good idea. I at least want to have a good chance of shooting the zombie when I do happen to agro it. At the moment I usually wait until it stops in front of me so i can get a proper shot.

The key should be avoiding zombies I think, rather than dealing with them. Maybe if they did a lot more damage and their hearing range was increased BUT their vision range decreased? This would promote sneaking but make people think twice about using guns or sprinting into towns. The melee system would have to be improved to compensate and possibly the loot spawn system tweaked a little, but I think the SA will address this.

Am I wrong?

Dude, you will ove the next patch! Its pure survival. Zombies are insane and finding food and meds is really hard. Participate in testing if you want. Its crazy! ^^

The thing is, once you explore the map build up a sweet little camp, get a few vehicles or a heli then what.... there is no end-game. This is literally what happened to me, I played on a server with my wife and once we had just about everything you could possibly get we just ran out of things to do. She was a strict non PVP'er and she got her first player kill before I did, and now all we do is hunt people.

Aside from the people who play purely for the PVP aspect, everyone will run out of things to do eventually and then what else is there? Even playing as a "Hero" you will run up against players who want to shoot you on sight, there is no escaping it.

So either embrace it for what it is, maybe find a different server or move along.

Edited by AntiHero