Sign in to follow this  
splehpnala

Headshots should be instant death

see question 1  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this implemented?

• Yes!
    • No. (leave a comment saying why)

Would you be able to survive a point-blank headshot from a Lee-Enfield?

In DayZ you can. In fact, it just happened. In DayZ, instant death from headshots would not break immersion. Being implemented, it would reward headshots. Most people go for bodyshots, because that tiny bit of extra damage isn't worth the risk. Instant death headshots would make pistols less bad, make people reconsider if they want to use extra ammo, and more.

headshots already are instant death. either you met a hacker or didn't hit the head.

• Like 9

what sometimes happens is that even you shoot someone in his neck or his upper chest, which should take him down, he happily starts to sprint around like a scared rabbit, which is sometimes so annoying that I im always grabing as50 at the moment

Edited by Heathcz

headshots already are instant death. either you met a hacker or didn't hit the head.

It is true. Even a measly makarov kills with one shot to the head, let alone the rather mighty enfield.

It is true. Even a measly makarov kills with one shot to the head, let alone the rather mighty enfield.

a makarov does not kill with one headshot (unless they fixed that very recently)
  • Like 2

I believe they are supposed to be, but it doesn't always work right.

I would like to see if a headshot would actually kill someone, video or its fake.

if you actually shot a legit player without problems in the head with a lee enfield and they didn't die maybe you should post a video or it's fake :P

Sometimes you find people who appear to be AFK that cannot die, I think they are having connection issues. It was either that or if they were moving around it was either lag from one of you or it was a hacker with god mode. That or you missed, anyhoo I don't think this should be implemented since it already is. Unless weak guns like makarov don't kill in that case something needs to be done but apart from that any gun will kill in 1 shot to the head.

Edited by Chris529

yeah dude headshots are one hit kill no matter what gun. if you hit in the head and you didnt get a kill you ither missed because you arent aware of bullet drop and other mechanics, network lag, or you encountered a hacker.

This is how I believe it works but I could be wrong...

The head has an armour value, say 0.3... and let's say the person overall has 1800 hit points (haven't checked). The head is a vital part and if destroyed will kill the entire character.

1800 * 0.3 = 540, so if the character's head takes 540 or more damage, he dies, if it takes less, he can still live. I don't know the figures and I'm too lazy to check...

• Like 1

I have shot at least 4 guys with headshots. One with a crossbow, one with an MP5, one with revolver and one with a CZ550. Killed in one shot everytime.

I think it is an issue of the desync between clients. Somehow what you see is not always what happens.

I have seen players bleeding from the head running around, so it is possible to survive a headshot, but I don't think that's intentional.

As I understood it. Insta-death in arma is calculated by a body-part-multiplicator, that determines how much damage a hit to each part does. On the head, it is just freakishly high, so any damage will kill you. But as weapon-damage varies by weapon and range, I'd suppose sometimes values below 12000 can occur, letting you survive.

It should be very rare, but it is possible at the moment. Bothers me less than the 5 seconds it takes for the other player to fall to the ground after being hit tough.

I have shot at least 4 guys with headshots. One with a crossbow, one with an MP5, one with revolver and one with a CZ550. Killed in one shot everytime.

Jeez..you get around

a makarov does not kill with one headshot (unless they fixed that very recently)

Oh yeah? wanna bet?

• Like 1

Epic fail. Head shots have been instant death since before dayz existed.

Maybe they should dew a completely new damage system. The blood system is unrealistic. How about hitting vital organs and veins and shit and being able to do colateral damage to a body (Shoot a vien in the chest and shoot the left lung causing the player to drown in his/her (Aren't I am merciless fucker?) blood. Gruesome.

Likewise this should be done with 2 shillouttes of bodies in the hud, On untouched or healthy an organ or bone is green but on damage it goes redder, for bones it would show with a broken icon. One should be a shillouette only showing bones and the other on organs (brain, testes, heart, liver etc).

Edited by Johnny Klebitz
  • Like 2

Would you be able to survive a point-blank headshot from a Lee-Enfield?

In DayZ you can. In fact, it just happened. In DayZ, instant death from headshots would not break immersion. Being implemented, it would reward headshots. Most people go for bodyshots, because that tiny bit of extra damage isn't worth the risk. Instant death headshots would make pistols less bad, make people reconsider if they want to use extra ammo, and more.

You know that point of aim isn't point of impact? If you aimed "almost" point blank and aimed at the nose you have a high probability of not hitting it due to the offset of barrel and aiming device. Blood system is already altered for the better.

Oh yeah? wanna bet?

what's to say he wasn't already badly hurt? The other thing is the video was uploaded by you on the very day you made that post, so its not exactly the most reliable source. also is that a custom server? If im wrong I will happily admit it if you can provide more proof. but until then I must stick by my original statement.

they pretty much already are

any other result is just desync and/or poor connection. I believe headshots are x12 or x10 damage

Edited by Powell

Hmmm well I looked into this a bit more.

Apparently the DayZ soldier has "3" armor (hitpoints), "2" armorStructural, and "0.6" armor for his head.

So... the head should have "1.8" armor (hitpoints)... and his body should have "3" armor.

I believe if the "head" is killed, the player dies (much like how vehicles explode if the engine is destroyed).

So... by the formula ((h/4.0235)^2)/(A*a), shooting someone in the face with a 1911 would do.... 0.86 damage to the head plus 0.26 overall... and a Makarov would do 0.55 damage plus 0.16 overall... a Lee-Enfield would do 4.15 damage plus 1.25 overall...

Obviously the above seems to be incorrect somehow, Makarovs kill fine with headshots in ArmA...

Anyways zombies have a head armor of "0.3", so that means a Makarov would (according to this) do 1.32 damage + 0.20 damage (instant death).

Just musing here, I still don't understand damage properly.

Also note DayZ itself seems to make headshots more damaging.

_scale = _scale + 800;

if (_isHeadHit) then {

_scale = _scale + 500;

};

So if a certain body shot took away 2000 blood... a headshot with the weapon would take away 3000? Large question mark...

On the contrary, I shot a player on my server with a DMR at point blank. I saw blood explode from his chin. He then killed me with an AKM.

Here are some of my rpt logs... confusing. Here's a Makarov headshot:

T=11.504 : [R 1-1-A:1,"",0.15039,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_9x18_Ball"]

T=11.504 : [R 1-1-A:1,"head_hit",1.01629,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_9x18_Ball"]

T=11.504 : [R 1-1-A:1,"body",0.0126607,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_9x18_Ball"]

T=11.504 : [R 1-1-A:1,"hands",0.0248584,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_9x18_Ball"]

As you can see the head has been completely destroyed.

Here's an Enfield headshot:

T=10.509 : [R 1-1-A:1,"",1.24458,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_303_Ball"]

T=10.509 : [R 1-1-A:1,"head_hit",6.10792,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_303_Ball"]

T=10.509 : [R 1-1-A:1,"body",0.30848,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_303_Ball"]

T=10.509 : [R 1-1-A:1,"hands",0.568435,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_303_Ball"]

T=10.509 : [R 1-1-A:1,"legs",0.0105262,R 1-1-A:2 (Gews),"B_303_Ball"]

Ya, no surviving that.

Headshots are a stupid videogame meme, hardly anyone headshot in the real world, excepted in some rare bombing threats where a sure kill is required to ensure the guy doesn't push "the button".

Body shot is the rule in the real world, on a normal human being it is just as effective and you have less chances of missing.

Headshots are a stupid videogame meme, hardly anyone headshot in the real world, excepted in some rare bombing threats where a sure kill is required to ensure the guy doesn't push "the button".

Body shot is the rule in the real world, on a normal human being it is just as effective and you have less chances of missing.

It's not really a meme, they're mainly used for weapon balance or to up the skill ceiling of a game, lol.

Glad I don't live in the same country as you if everybody is going around shooting each other in the body! :o