rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.4 Rolling Update (was 1.7.1.3)

Hey Rocket.

Cant wait to buy Day Z in the next few years under what ever title/game that day z turns into :)

Im just unsure as to a reanimated corpse could have super powers to that of a human to me this seems unrealistic.

-Obese zombies should die of high cholesterol. so a stroke after running as far as they seem to chase me :)

-Spawn Rate

i would like to suggest that the respawn be lowered after you kill say 100 zombies in a small town which most likely had the population of 50. Zombies respawn could slow depending how many have been killed then resetting the spawn rate after say after 20/30mins with out a zombie death.

Just an example. we go take the airfield kill say 70 zombies then they start to slow in numbers per respawn time while we can do our job and get out fo there as if the zombies that did hear/see us start moving towards that area having 100 zombies spawn over and over just becomes a ammo/time sink.

- Sound/Vision

Im not sure what it is set as at the moment but does differant sound types and movement pull in a certain radius or is it just once it goes after a certain limit it pulls the same amount?

-[bug] - Maybe

Im not sure if this is a bug or its intended. You cannot crouch walk up a metal staircase you have to stand up which pulls alot of Z straight away which if you spend say 20mins slowly walking to a building trying to check whats upstairs becomes a risk not even worth it and just makes that building unworthy.

- Strong Zombies

Zombies should be slow and weak unless they have had a feed recently they shouldnt have such speed and strength.

My example would be a malnourished zombie who has a body that is slowly breaking down and wounded most likely bleeding from time of death/infection trying to run 2km at full speed screaming its lungs out wouldnt be able to keep it up for long. yet the survivor seems to slow down even after eating lots and lots of beans and drinking all that mountain dew ;)

- Z Aggro

i have a question if you or anyone could answer it, What is piority of aggro for zombies? i mean land of the dead.. fireworks - makes zombies void. smoke grenades pull zombies away they are attracted to flares but what is the deciding factor to who/what they chase. i would love to know this and the amount or radius that a object/movement pulls zombies.

My example would be for cars. Our team goes out and raids. we drop 3 people off and keep one in/around the car that person usualy has to go stash the car in the woods ect to stop pvpers stealing it.

yet when we jump out of the car and it drives off zombies run for us even when we are out of their LOS..? are they lazy and go for the quick meal and the car means nothing? or should they all be going for the big loud noise that they should be attracted to. i dont see why we cant drive in circles and herd the horde after us. obviously this would make getting back in the car fairly hard.

Well thats all i have as to feedback hopefully this gets helps as i speak for myself and a few others that i play with.

Keep up the good work. This has drawn me away from other games and sucked me in to even getting a server for the gaming community i work and play for :)

Thanks again.

Viles

played a few hours in diferent servers .

in some zeds aggroed from far away and really easy and in other servers it was not that bad but detection was still to much

i didnt found it unnplayable in any server but one so i dont know if its random , luck or lag

thats my feedback about zombies

At the Large airfield I was checking an infecteds body when I morphed outside the building. I was on the second level of the fire house and the infected was half morphed out the wall. I saw more morph through walls than before.

Is infected respawn up in any way? Because at the airfield my friend and I battled wave after wave of infected after we had to shoot one. I kid you not, we must have killed like 50 or more. After which I thought the area must be clear. but I saw more before we made it to the woods, barely alive.

It seemed we spooked more infected tonight than we did with 1.7.

Some places seemed that loot was not spawning.

Some places sounded like infected were in the walls, like solid fence locations.

- zombies are far too powerful right now. You can hardly avoid them. If you are playing at night it's almost impossible as a new spawn. They hear you and see you from too far away, and can apparently see just fine when it's pitch black outside. They also all run like oylmpic track stars. They also apparently have sonar and know exactly where you are if you have to fire a single shot (this has been an issue for a long time).

-wire fence kits and tank traps are super common now. I'm finding them EVERYWHERE. These need to be more of a rare spawn.

Basically the zombies need a ton of work. Here are my ideas:

- tone down the zombies awareness so you can sneak past them like before.

- make the running zombies more of a rare spawn and bring in some typical walking zombies. This would allow players to escape easier if they aggro some zombies, especially without a gun.

- add new ways for players to avoid zombies. In Shaun Of The Dead they were able to fool the zombies by acting like them. In the walking dead Rick and Glenn covered themselves in zombie blood/guts so the zombies wouldn't notice them. The rain started to wash it off and the zombies noticed them. With as much as it rains in this game that could be an interesting idea. "gut infected" and as long as you WALK you don't attract zombies, but you slowly drop blood when you are covered in the blood. If it rains it it washes off, or you can find a water source (or use a bottle of water) to clean off and stop the bleeding. I know this is a really off the wall idea that most likely won't get used but hey... Throwing it out there lol.

I'm not suggesting ALL of those changes be made, only one of them, each one would add a totally different aspect to the gameplay.

Up until 1.7.1.2, I literally could not stop playing DayZ. The PVP was where the fun was at, and the zombies were more of a nuisance, but could be a significant threat in some circumstance. It was a pretty tight balance. Now the zombies are too easily agroed, and with bandages seemingly being so hard to come by now, it seems like the fun has been sapped from the game. It was also a kick in the teeth when I spawned to find that my M14 AIM, GPS, rangefinder, and pistol had been replaced by a makarov with a few mags. It took countless hours to find those items.

Loot seems to be broken on every server, and I can only seem to find tin cans. Bandages were kind of perfect before, you'd usually have just enough in stock to save you after a zombie agro incident gone wrong, now none of us want to spawn in because we only have two bandages left between several of us, and can't seem to find any more. There's a group of about a dozen of us, and we'd normally jump on 4 or more at a time, but since the last few patches nobody is playing.

Until the zombies are nerfed, the lack of bandages, food and other loot is resolved, the game is just unplayable.

I'm a huge fan of DayZ, and love all the tireless work rocket and others have put into it, but in my opinion the latest few patches have thrown everything into disarray and broken the game.

Rocket' date=' I got 2 small suggestions.

1) You should make the hatchet go back in the utility slot, and from your inventory you can right click it to chop / harvest wood like you use to normally, or you can right click it to equip it as a melee weapon.

2) you should do the same thing with the crowbar

[/quote']

^^ this is the reason I will always sift through all the replies.

Oh cant wait to have hatchet in utility slot again and be able to cook all the fine meat I have collected rather then risk dropping my mine weapon and ammo.

Thanks Rocket and also thanks Poisonman ;)

My own suggestion to have 2 different hatchets (1 for wood and 1 as melee weapon) was not that elegant.

I have too also heard flies with no body around, i think it bugs in some places.

I have too also heard flies with no body around' date=' i think it bugs in some places.

[/quote']

In some places, like for example 'Green Mountain', are body piles with flies, but no player corpse. That is intended and working as designed. Maybe check again.

Sometimes of course, a corpse disappears and the flies stay for a few more minutes.

The zombies are now impossible! also for the fact that they will see through walls. I could maybe answer "move from lying down," ok, but there is a bug in ArmA2 entering into a building in which they are lying, you could find yourself as if you were hit (bleeding, broken bones, etc..) So I avoid this.

morphine is not too rare? are not too many double shots of slug?

I'm getting really low/inconsistent FPS with this latest patch for some reason. I was getting 50-80FPS before, now I'm getting 20-100FPS.

I've tried this patch a couple of hours and think it's too hard. I mean - not hardcore, but hard. I was killed by a zombie in a multi-storey building because I couldn't turn my body on a stairway with a crowbar. I tried this in a real life and I made it, believe it or not! =) Sooo...zombies in da house feature is a good idea, but it should be removed according to not so ideal engine which provides such deadly bugs.

Plus zombies DO see us through walls still. I think that zombies has so good eyes now, much better than mine.

Plus zombies still go through objects. Mine went through a stairway from 4 floor to 3 and kicked my ass (literally, cuz I couldn't turn around).

I don't like only these things, everything else seems to be ok.

Oh, btw...crowbar sucks ballz.

I just have two suggestions pop out of my head

1. make the LOS with a range like 7m or more. and if a player isn't moving, zombies can't see you until you're in a 3m range or maybe more.

2. when you fired a shot, make the effect on zombies like you've throw a "empty whisky bottle"

I mean in the zombie movies, when there are shots fired.all the zombies heard it will just turn and head to the gun shot direction. like the ending episode of The Walking Dead Season 2

and if you imagine that you're a zombie, you certainly won't be able to see clearly.

and because zombies are not using their brains so they certainly can't extinguish you from the scenery if you're not moving but smell you or hear your heartbeat if you're close enough

I have to say that all the new implements seems to work well.

However?>>

1. The zombie agro and ability to see thourgh buildings at some distance I personally and as I have read many more don't like.

2. Swapping out your hatchet is not easy, only able to do this via putting into your Backpack. / Swaping it for another primary weap in other Backpacks, Tents or Cars.

Keep up the good work Rocket, thanks

After some testing (quite a few lives) I believe the whole spawning without a weapon thing is largely positive.

However - the zombie aggro feels like just *too much*.

I've had times that I spawned, literally ran 2 steps and aggroed a zombie 60 or 70 meters away, in pitch black night.

Even crouch walk attracts zombies that my flashlight isn't powerful enough to see yet.

The ditching aggro mechanic is strange at best - sometimes it works, others it doesn't. And I've seen just wait too many people sprinting through a town instead of sneaking in - with ditching aggro in mind.

All in all, an awesome patch. But the zombie aggro could use some fine tuning imo.

My 2 cents.

Small side note: I don't know where the female character screams came from, if recorded for DayZ or some wav file from somewhere, but god... it makes a hole in my soul everytime it plays. Congrats.

Hello Rocket.

I think that the sound level is too high when crouch. Flies still fly without bodies.

Furthermore, I think that the hatchet should be in slot than watches or compass, and if necessary could be switched as a weapon. But as a secondary weapon! So one can choose between guns or melee. If one activates the melee, gun is moved to the backpack if there is a free place. If not, drop on ground. And, if necessary, once the key switch to primary weapon. Simple, practical and it works. For example, in Left 4 Dead 2.

Furthermore, I have a suggestion about crossbows. 1 arrow = 1 slot in the inventory is really cruel. Surely it will make quiver of arrows in the number of 5 or 10 arrows in one slot? Crossbow would be really exploitable.

Thank you for this game.

I didnt read about it in the newest Patchnote anymore so i wanna ask, is the respawn timer of Zeds still buggy? Yesterday i fired on Rifle shoot on a little Farm, like 200 meters away, i excpected some Zeds but me and my mate got overrun by like 15 of them, we almost killed every single on but i got knockeout so my mate chopped the shit out of them, but long story short...

- within 45-60 seconds after the shoot, 3 Zeds already respawned down there in the farm! Is that normal or still buggy?

- one thing i noticed, me and my friend had the same problem, after picking up on item i dropped my whole inventory on the floor, like i would have forgott to close my backpack, and while i bend over everything comes flying out !:D

- Zeds imho by far to sensitiv.

still great work rocket, thx for alot a fun, if u give me ur adress a bake u a german cake.

PS: i suck at cooking basicly!

I Like the MoD more than the Game it selve ;P

I´m new and i like when Games are realistic... but also its true that @ moment Zombies run trough closed doors(maks survival impossible) it´s like running and guning immo (if ya have the luck to find one -.-").

Anyway´s Zombie actualy can swim, not all of them but the one who can chase you teleport ninja style on water surface like Jesus and try to kill you ...

the no weapon thing is ok Zombies allert to early but if they will not pass trough doors i can live with it...

THX for the Awsome Work you made but pls FIX it :D

fix zombies' date=' their range of vision is ridiculous

[/quote']

This is a great mechanic and I hope rocket tweaks other things first before revisiting these changes, because I think the players just need to adjust.

Vision range is decent, I think crouch-walking makes a tad too much noise at times. Pro tip: Stay close to walls or other cover for you to be less visible to zombies.

Zombie spawns (rates, positions, distances) seem a little weird, still. Same goes for zombie physics, one jumped at me from Zub castle wall or tower (saw it fly towards me and then die), and often they seem to be stuck under floors or in walls - sometimes even completely invisible (you can hear them, but you can't see them).

While Rocket's vision may be the 'only vision', he has to remember this is a community release and not his private little wank closet.

While I appreciated the dedication Rocket has put to this, he's trying to fix what's not fucking broken. The visibility and audibility systems worked fucking fine, but no, let's go full steam ahead and plunge the player base in a way to difficult feature.

I'd like to see community postings of new features to be honest, because then shit like this wouldn't be added at all. This is something that needs to happen, despite Rockets obvious neglect to the community's suggestions.

@ Thygrrr

If you have ever in your life stepped out of the house, you'll know walking on a road makes fuck all sound at all. Even when sprinting you have to strain to hear someone across the street doing it.

Hi, yesterday had a bug with my friend

When you drive on a bridge with an ATV (were driving very slowl at 2km/h)

it makes u jump in the sky at 5 meters... And then ur atv turns over

Add the possibility to return the ATV when it's on his back please

Thx for the job

broke my leg crawling through a door. probably an issue on the Arma side, but with all this excessive crawling...

I can also confirm the fps drop after being chased by many zombies. I aborted and re-entered the game, and it went away

Yes, aggro ditching mechanic is a bit strange.

I have noticed that when i run into building, zeds nowadays do not follow inside, so I cannot dispose of them easily. This would not be a problem, if they did not wait just outside. Maybe it's due that was at the docks.

I find that it is cool if zeds come over to investigate to your last position, but it would be cool if there was some expire timer, after which they would just give up, and continue roaming landscape.

I tried to test how will they behave, so I ran into warehouse, while knowing i had some 10-12 of them outside. I literally did not move a muscle for say 5 or more mins, due to the fact i was AFK. When i came back, and tried to sneak out, they were still there, and did not move an inch, so I had ZombieCon 2012 outside waiting for catering (that would be me).

I would not mind if they were still around the area, roaming, all 12 of them, but just standing there feels a little bit unrealistic.

Just my 2 cents