rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.4 Rolling Update (was 1.7.1.3)

So far im enjoying the update even with the hyper aggro zombies.

The only issue i have found so far is sometimes when i see a dropped crowbar (not always) my fps goes to absolute slideshow and i have to disconnect and go back to the main screen and reconnect for it to be fixed.

Few of my clan members have reported the same problem as well.

So far we just endedup staying the hell away from crowbars.

Oh and Rocket

Just wanted to speak for a small group of gamers that came from AVs Darkfall.

Back about 3 years ago we started that game as it was supposed to be the most hardcore full loot pvp game around.

After 3 years of constant crying from people that it was too hard the game turned completely carebear and by now its pretty much bled to death.

When we found out about DayZ a few weeks ago the concept seemed amazing and we all bought Arma 2 for it.

We were completely blown away by the potential of it even if it has some glitches here and there (its a alpha for god sake)

Add to that AVs lead dev Tasos never ever communicated with his community and just did the occasional non informative status update and by now the last actual game update was about 1.5 years ago.

Now you communicate every day and put out constant game updates, and most of all you are brutally honest (highly refreshing)

What im trying to say is please dont let some cryers or haters get to you (seems like every now and then it does a little)

I think were highly lucky that we have this team working on a mod with this much potential and please just stay the course for your vision of the game and dont compromise too much.

And we will be along for the ride wherever it will take us :)

Can't waite to see where this game will go man, please keep up the great work.

again, lets stop repeating things here. i think rocket gets the point.

I lost good stuff and gained compass and maps and stuff' date=' and the only thing i did was log out, watch WWE RAW on tivo, eat some dinner and log in.

[/quote']

cool story bro. maybe the game realised you were too dumb to use an assault rifle since you watch wwe.

Sight and hearing detection are crazy. I cant get closer to any city without warning zombies anyway but crawling. Its really annoying.

We know.

New ones only!

taking out the makarov made sense' date=' because not everybody in the world have a gun inside his house, i get it.... but the zombies with death meat bodys really got to have superman senses? (exagerating i know...) please it was awesome on 1.7.1, i don't want stupid zombies around, but zombies with heartbeat sensor is too much...

(sorry if i offend somebody, somehow with this commet)

[/quote']It's not the Makarov itself.

It's the combination of endless zombie-chase, very fast zombie-spawn, "super-senses" and not having a spawn weapon to defend yourself with.

Hi

I have noticed from reason playing of this 1.7.1.4 that zombies can be aggravated from a long way away even when crouch walking slow through tall grass they will start to chase you also that running through trees branches and other objects dose not lose them as well as before or so i have noticed.

also when shooting a gun even a makarov you can attract zombies from what seems miles around even from outside cherno in the tree line to the north you can get zombies chase you from the small houses inside cherno.

i just though that zombies seem to be very easy to get hard to lose.

Dave.

1.7.0 I had the best online experience I ever had with any game. It was just that fun. Now' date=' not so much, I don't feel like loggin...

[/quote']

I feel ya man, 1.7.0 was plenty of fun - however none of the recent patches have diminished my desire to play. Only belligerence I have is in regards to the servers, all the good (read: UPDATED) servers are CONSTANTLY full. Rocket will fix the bugs again (until he breaks them xD), as usual. ;)

Speaking of 1.7.0 - I do think the Makarov should come back, as it is currently way too complicated and cumbersome to survive against all the zombies without some form for protection - perhaps reduce the ammo clip to one? I think it might currently be way too hardcore for some (read; NEW) players to start without guns. And the aggro distance for zombies must be severely reduced for crouched positions.

I like this idea' date=' players that just want to play can do so while people who want to help can test. Complaints should minimize and testing should be faster and more concise.

[/quote']

Sry, but: no. This is an alpha. This might be okay during a beta, but seriously it's an alpha version. We are supposed to test it!

Sry, but actually Alpha means its supposed to be tested internally. Beta means a limited group of users test it. If anything, Day Z is a full release already (technically).

Sorry, but actually Alpha is a testing stage, and just because Rocket decided to release the Alpha openly to the public, doesn't mean that it is even in the slightest way a full release. This is a testing stage, and I know Alpha's are supposed to be tested by a group of local people the devs choose, but that does not make this a release because we are allowed to stress test the Alpha.

Sorry, but this only makes us both half right.

Im going to make a game and im going to call the alpha testing a full release, then when the game releases im going to call it the Alpha stage version.

I can do so because in reality I can do whatever the hell I want, but a definition of things exist, thats why I said technically.

Anyways, the truth is...

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

Actually it has no meaning if it's alpha or beta or whatever. My original post was pointing out the fact that if you are at the point where you can't separate bugfix code from new feature code then you are doing it all wrong. Good version control and coding practices should make this a non-issue yet Rocket says he is having trouble with it. Therefor I suggest splitting his work flow into stable and development channels so he can manage his code better. So please stop hiding behind the "it's alpha" and just accept that something is wrong here when a developer can't manage his code. No offense rocket, I know vcs can be a pain, but once I learned git I wondered how I ever got along without it!

having no weapon at the start is alot more fun, leads to meeting other weaponless players, and its fun to go search for a gun making them alot better

having no weapon at the start is alot more fun' date=' leads to meeting other weaponless players, and its fun to go search for a gun making them alot better

[/quote']

... until you end up being chased by a whole city, only able to run away and hope for some bug

Hey Rocket,

The game is awesome and I understand alpha is bugs and testing but

me and a lot of others really think the start gun and the Z sensitivity are

making the game impossible to get off to a start the game was hard

even before (27minute life expectancy) and this is gonna down that more.

If I may suggest you lower sensitivity or give us the gun or a melee weapon to

start just to make it a but easier. Thanks I hope this helps :)

The bug with zombies isn't really with zombies it's with the sounds YOU create if you notice your sound is atleast 2x-3x what it should be. You have the same sound when you crouch run on the cement as when you just normally stand up and run.

With my hatchet gone and 2k blood suddenly there goes the ability to get wood to get a fire to roast meat. With the hatchet taking a weapon slot I feel fire would benefit from being matches only again. just 2cts

The bug with zombies isn't really with zombies it's with the sounds YOU create if you notice your sound is atleast 2x-3x what it should be. You have the same sound when you crouch run on the cement as when you just normally stand up and run.

rocket increased the zombie LOS in a patch, and didnt revert it. So you are wrong.

:idea:

If new ai of zds is resource hungry give only 20% scripted ai. Adds to the suspens factor and random feel + performance boost.

With regards of the zeds suddenly popping up. Make (new close to player) zeds spawn out of the ground. Maybe spawn with a negative z-value.

Anyway compliments and keep up the good work!

*FPS definitely improved, I was pretty lucky that even though I'm running a fairly old card now (Ati 4890) my frames were never that low. However, I noticed straight away that my gun was moving much more smoothly for the entire 2 hour session I had this evening. It didn't noticeably drop once.

*Until I came on this forum I didn't notice the aggro problem at all. I went to a few deer stands, took the zombies out from a short distance with an m4a3 cco, no aggro. Then I went to Stary, walked right into the camp without firing a single shot. Took the two zombies in the tents out with a silenced pistol, and walked out again. This was crouch walking the entire time.

*Odd sounds. I don't know if this was intentional, but I was lying down while scouting a place out... and I swear down that I heard man groan or sigh in a decidedly un-zombie-like way. It happened a couple of times, but this one time it sounded like it was right on top of me, but there was no one around, I was pretty deep in the trees. I checked for a microphone symbol incase someone was messing with me but there was none. I have never heard this sound before 1.7.1.4

rocket increased the zombie LOS in a patch' date=' and didnt revert it. So you are wrong.

[/quote']

he did revert it. read the notes. somehow it got rereverted back to before the revert. i think it was the .1 or .2

With the current state of the Zeds having psychic abilities i hardly think having a Makarov will make much difference. Stop asking for the Makarov to come back? The Zeds are hyper sensitive at the moment and just need to be toned down.

There should be an anouncement to remind server admins to update to the latest dayz_server 1.7.1.3 file.

Side communication was interesting since i think its important some general chat to see whats going on, be aware of things. But it needs to be redesign. Maybe taking out connection dialog and font decrease since it shines and bothers too much specially when its dark in game. Most of server admins are disabling it.

I experienced a bug when i passed out (blood<3000) on second floor(Haystack store building). I fell through the floor to the ground by the time I logged into a server...and died.

Zombie aggro and spawn rate is crazy. We had been holding off the patch since 1.70 but we patched tonight. So many z's spawned after one rifle was fired at range that it desynced the server really badly. We got out by the skin of our teeth and logged off for the night. We depleted more ammo than we were going to get where we were going.

1.70 build was good but did need the new anims and slightly higher aggression as it was getting too easy and other players were more of a threat than the Z's. The balance has tipped too far in favor of the Z's. They run like Linford Christie considering they are supposed to be rotting they should fall to bits before they get to you. I know it's supposed to be tough but it's also supposed to be fun. Massive loss of FPS and a HUGE leap in net traffic.

I guess it's a roll back to 1.70 and the return to some playability until the next build.

People need to realize that this is an alpha, and people are bound to hate changes. That's why Rocket makes these changes, to see what works and what doesn't. He would never know otherwise. That's why it's alpha, for testing. Most games aren't even public well past this stage.

I don't think you all realize how much work Rocket is doing with this. He hammers out updates left and right for a free mod. He has listened to and used suggestions and interacted with the users more than I've ever seen from any other developer. I've had a taste of programming in college and to me right now he's a programming god. He takes mere hours after an update to release a hotfix for most of the problems. As far as I've seen the problems are pretty much taken care of within a day or less of the original update. That's insane. Call me a suck up all you want, but it's all true.

There's no schedule for the updates' date=' so I can't blame them too much. However, what is most annoying is the servers who updated the normal mods to 1.7.1.4 but didn't include the dayz_server update.

[/quote']

Personally I think the one thing more annoying than that are the admins that just use a previous version because "it's more fun" or they just overall like it better. Just imagine you're all video game testers. This is more like a job. That's what the servers are for. In my opinion you're just delaying development and making the wait longer on yourselves for a more refined experience.

Also the people who say they bought Arma 2 for DayZ and are furious because they don't like it right now. This is an alpha mod, what did you expect from an alpha mod?

:idea:

Oh and a random request now I am here throwing up balls. Bicycles as an inventory item..

Edited wrong forumthread. Sorry

I'd like to throw my two cents in and say that the amount of broken bones occurring (in comparison to the amount of available morphine) feels really brutal right now. Less causes and/or a reduced chance of broken legs, or more commonly available morphine injectors would be good.