Modded servers  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer modded servers? If so, state why in the thread.

Hello guys,

Why are people so hostile towards vanilla servers? I look through the server list and I see bullshit like 1 million vehicles, 1000 choppers, start with AS50, no bandits, day only.

Some of this is of course exaggerated, but I literally only found 1 single vanilla server with players on and that server did not have the settings I wanted(nameplates.. etc).

What is your opinion?

I prefer modded servers (obviously) because it changes the game a bit.

I like to add in things that make the game easier (more vehicles, military bases) and then counter that with things to make it harder (roaming npc, tons of npc in the military bases) to balance it out.

Gives a bit more flavor and variety in things. I will admit, I started off with more vehicles than I should have (200) but have been scaling back to adjust towards the population (currently just over 100).

Most players that I have talked to (that show up on my server) want to start with some sort of weapon, hence I start them with a 1911. I don't see that as too far fetched in the storyline.

*side* I've actually made the as50 incredibly difficult to find (0.0001% chance of spawn)... as I feel it is too much, still debating the m107.

I need some bandits to play on my server rofl (I do have a very small area that is non-pvp for new players to learn the ropes if they feel it... encompassed kamenka and pavlovo).

Day only: Well, dam near every player I have ever talked to will not play on a server that is night.... so I adjust to the player..... server restarts right as it gets completely dark (still get a good hour of dusk like conditions).

I like to react to and give my players what they want (within reason)..... sure I do not have a large community playing my server (I do not claim to, server hasn't been up all that long).... but most that show up and talk enjoy what I have added. I think most server owners are simply trying to add in what they think players want.

• Like 1

I see in your signature that you have 17 helicopters on the server. Why would you do that? 3-5 choppers and you'll have choppers in the air a lot. 17 is such overkill. What is the deal with dogs? What is autorefuel?

What I like about the vanilla settings is that it is well balanced for 20-50 players. People fight over the resources there are.

Night time is a game-changer that makes moving around less dangerous. It is easier to gear up. It makes players with night vision the only real threat.

Edited by AtotehZ

I see in your signature that you have 17 helicopters on the server. Why would you do that? It is such overkill. What is the deal with dogs? What is autorefuel?

It is another one that I am slowly rolling back. Originally intended to allow quick transport from south coast to the north bases. To find one right now is actually incredibly rare.... as they are all taken by a clan lol.

Dogs can be found and will follow you around (until you die, log out... or the dog dies).... you can order them to look for animals .... they will attack zombies close to you (it takes them awhile to kill one though) ..... and they will bark when another player is close (has its advantages and disadvantages).

Auto-refuel is an option that allows you to pull up to a gas station, scroll your wheel, and vehicle begins refueling. Its another product of the fact that I intended for transportation to be quicker than on normal servers.

Auto-refuel is an option that allows you to pull up to a gas station, scroll your wheel, and vehicle begins refueling. Its another product of the fact that I intended for transportation to be quicker than on normal servers.

I get the use of this, but I think there's charm in having to go outside, risking to get shot or killed by zombies.

I'm not hostile towards vanilla servers. I even tried running one. Everyone claims to want vanilla but play on crazy decked out servers.

Vanilla servers stay empty.

auto refuel comes into it's own with helicopters. even if you land next to a fuel tank with 4 jerries in your main inventory and fill refuel refuel refuel refuel, fill and so on as quickly as you can it's still 15 mins+ solo to refuel a huey that's nearly empty

I'm not hostile towards vanilla servers. I even tried running one. Everyone claims to want vanilla but play on crazy decked out servers.

Vanilla servers stay empty.

Vanilla servers doesn't necesarily mean Public Hive.

I play on a Vanilla Private Server and its always 50/50, try it. MYDAYZ.de

auto refuel comes into it's own with helicopters. even if you land next to a fuel tank with 4 jerries in your main inventory and fill refuel refuel refuel refuel, fill and so on as quickly as you can it's still 15 mins+ solo to refuel a huey that's nearly empty

And that is good. Then there are downsides to having it. Just as the more powerful weapons attract more attention, and the way a lot of zombies spawn around barracks.

EDIT: I thought you meant without auto-refuel. The team I was part of had a huey once. We never played alone with it for multiple reasons. One of them was that it took a long time to refuel and you were too vulnerable while doing so alone.

Edited by AtotehZ

I like to play on both modded and normal style. I enjoy the modded servers because it adds a freshness to the game that isn't in the original game.

I like a hundred or so more vehicles, NPC patrols, third person, new maps.

I don't mind death messages, crosshairs on or off, shitty pistol spawn gear, rMod, Base building, 24/7 day.

I dislike nameplates, 1000 vehicles, epic starting gear, tracers.

Probably missed some shit, but yeah.

There are some who like such loadouts and custom servers because they're a tad bit bored of vanilla DayZ.

However, I myself am all for completely vanilla servers--possibly with the difficulty ramped up.

• Like 1

I run a server. I have things set so that there are elements made easier and elements made harder.

I have permanent wrecks scattered about the map that have a few weapons crates, but they are in vulnerable locations. I have about 250 vehicles, but most of them are boned and need repairs. I have a custom weather setup with constant extreme conditions that make it impossible to see past 250 meters at best. Also working on adding roaming AI that will shoot at you.

TLDR:Easier to get weapons and gear, harder to survive with said gear and get transport.

I run a server. I have things set so that there are elements made easier and elements made harder.

I have permanent wrecks scattered about the map that have a few weapons crates, but they are in vulnerable locations. I have about 250 vehicles, but most of them are boned and need repairs. I have a custom weather setup with constant extreme conditions that make it impossible to see past 250 meters at best. Also working on adding roaming AI that will shoot at you.

TLDR:Easier to get weapons and gear, harder to survive with said gear and get transport.

In my opinion what you just said makes it easier and easier. You removed the possibility of being spotted from the distance which makes it much easier to survive.

IMHO it also makes one more likely to run into to someone (or squad of AI suddenly appearing out of the fog well within range.) you could have avoided with more viewdistance but i see your point.

Edited by BioHazard050

It would be nice to have a few hardcore servers.

Just as an example, of the 6548 responsive servers shown on DayZ Commander only 72 were 1st person only and 49 had both 1st person and no nameplates.

• Like 1

Modded servers = NPCs, 5 thousand vehicles, bases, as50's everywhere etc...

I just prefer vanilla DayZ.

Edited by DayzForumer

Servers with any more than 5 helicopters are just silly. If it were upto me, I'd remove helicopters completely

Hello guys,

Why are people so hostile towards vanilla servers? I look through the server list and I see bullshit like 1 million vehicles, 1000 choppers, start with AS50, no bandits, day only.

Some of this is of course exaggerated, but I literally only found 1 single vanilla server with players on and that server did not have the settings I wanted(nameplates.. etc).

What is your opinion?

Yes, I prefer a modded server ... modded by me and perhaps a select few others, including of course the DayZ Community Dev team. What? You ask. If done carefully and with proper respect for the original dev's vision, one can realize his or her own zombie apocalypse vision on their private server which is completely and soley thanks to Rocket's creation of DayZ in the first place, and gifted coders around the web.

Rather than stomp some more upon the well trodden grass on the path of a bajillion vehicles and main battle tanks in your pocket as starting gear, I personally have been trying to make DayZ as difficult as possible .... within some reason. But anyway, modded servers can almost be as good as the original flavor, and I see no reason not to mod and script your server. It's entirely up to the individual player whether or not to log in to or remain on a server with mods that turn them off.