bfisher

I'd like Rocket to do more with fire

While we're wishing for stuff, I think it would be cool if Rocket did more stuff with fire in the standalone. Sort of like what they did with dynamic fire in Far Cry 2. Like you can light the trees, grass and buildings (and zombies) on fire and it will spread depending on wind and conditions. Leaving a campfire unattended or throwing a road flare into the grass has some percent chance of starting a fire. Or when vehicles crash and explode. Maybe even have flamethrowers or molotov coctails (combine bottle + fuel). Anyhow, at least something better than the crappy orange Aurora Boriellis effect ArmA II uses now.

• Like 4

I agree here. In Arma 2 its kinda ridiculous how much "big fire" there is and yet how little effect it has on the player. Its like: "Oh look a HUGE fire in the forrest! Cool!" It should be more impacting and realistic.

And also you should have limited capabilities if setting things on fire.

@Bloodtrozorx: Beans for Micheal Caine.

Edited by Zarniwoop

I don't think this will make it into SA at launch but fire effects in later patches will more than likely be in.

Just pulling facts out of my ass but you know...

I would very much like fire and it's effects but this would probably somethign further down the road of development... if it ever reaches the drawing board.

I think the closest arma has been to " fire shenannigans" is the tiny amount of damage in arma 3 you take from standing next to burning wrecks.

looks like there is alot of coding to be done if they are to implement dynamic fire.

In the DayZ files there's this interesting classname:

class MolotovCocktailMuzzle : ThrowMuzzle {

displayName = "Throw";

magazines[] = {"TrashJackDaniels", "ItemSodaEmpty", "TrashTinCan"};

cursor = "Vehicle_Grenade_W";

cursorAim = "\ca\Weapons\Data\clear_empty";

};

The name seems to suggest there was some thought of Molotovs.

I think molotovs will probably be a craftable item in the standalone. (Not confirmed it just seems like an obvious idea)

I don't really see any need for the ability to start forest fires though, seems a bit pointless to me.

Molotovs - definitely. Being able to blow up gas cannisters and fuel tanks? Would be cool.

Bushfires - i am not expert in that region of the world but would a forest fire be plausible. Seems to rain an awful lot. You want bushfires then you'll have to wait for DayZ Australia.

I don't really see any need for the ability to start forest fires though, seems a bit pointless to me.

I don't know why anyone would want a feature like that... if realistically represented, you could lay waste to the entire map with just one jerry can and a box of matches. People would have to hide in the debug zone. :huh:

EIHvQpy.jpg

Yay another one of those "woah" suggestions that never passed the test of "is it really needed" and "does it break the game"

Yay another one of those "woah" suggestions that never passed the test of "is it really needed" and "does it break the game"

Molotovs could be pretty cool but I imagine would take a ton of work to make properly.

Also they seem pretty ineffective in most cases, remember the fuel has to splash all over someone to kill them and it will usually splash mostly on the ground.

In WW2 these were used mostly against tanks to try to set vital parts or the fuel lines on fire, not against infantry. They can still be effective if a tank hatch is left open... they could be used to set vehicles alight and ruin them. Same for people hiding in places that can be set on fire.

9xVu6o7.jpg?1

Look at this video (30 seconds in), they don't seem too effective against individual people outside, they seem to be more useful if people are inside something flammable, such as a vehicle or a room to drive them out of.

Edited by Gews

I think molotovs will probably be a craftable item in the standalone. (Not confirmed it just seems like an obvious idea)

If smoke played a big part as well as the fire you could choke survivors out of buildings also regarding burning forests it'd be an amazingly smart tactic to trap bandits if you have the numbers.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

If smoke played a big part as well as the fire you could choke survivors out of buildings

I know ACE has an effect when you don't have safety goggles on, when a helicopter gets near the ground and dirt and dust starts flying, it messes your screen up and makes your character cough. That has potential.

• Like 1

Molotovs - definitely. Being able to blow up gas cannisters and fuel tanks? Would be cool.

Bushfires - i am not expert in that region of the world but would a forest fire be plausible. Seems to rain an awful lot. You want bushfires then you'll have to wait for DayZ Australia.

Who has to wait? I'm thinking of doing NSW.

Overall good idea is good. Empty deer stands and log cabin should be flamable.

Sort of like what they did with dynamic fire in Far Cry 2. Like you can light the trees, grass and buildings (and zombies) on fire and it will spread depending on wind and conditions. ...

wtf, stop it dude! You want this game to take another year? ;)