Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

Simple double-barrel improvement

I died today, partly from trying to take on two fully-geared bandits with a double barrel, but mostly because my double barrel wouldn't fire fast enough.

Anyways I think it would be a good idea if the double-barrel's rate of fire was increased so that I could fire a nice "one-two" knockout. Many African PHs still rely on double-barrel rifles to offer a fast and reliable second shot, there's no reason why the double barrel shotgun can't do the same task. Set the reloadTime the same as a semi-automatic weapon.

Some people might argue it's to simulate recoil, but recoil is already simulated and that argument doesn't apply to any other weapon. Pull the second trigger too fast on the shotgun and you'd miss your second shot just like most other weapons.

I want my double barrel to be more effective so I don't miss out on a good kill... all in all I put two slugs and two pellet rounds into that bandit from point-blank range and only broke his legs with the last shot. Let's face it, the weapon is almost useless right now.

• Like 12

The sights could use a tune up too. I can't even tell where I'm aiming with that thing.

• Like 1

I like the Winchester. ;)

For once Goos. I agree with you.

Beans are coming your way.

I feel like shotguns are not as effective in DayZ against players because in ArmA2, every "soldier" is armored, to some extent.

Not exactly sure if it's modeled per side (For example, Blufor is +50% armor, Independent is +25%, and Civilian is +0%) or if it's a base-model for damage. Pellets and slugs feel awful effective against zombies, because they are classed as "Civilians". You can go into the map screen, and see a "kill count" for your player, classing zombie kills as "casualties" IIRC. A slug will kill a zombie in one hit, but not a human?

Edited by Deviant
  • Like 1

Hoping SA features sawed off mod with increased spread that can be holstered as side arm and ability to unload both barrels at once.

Close quarters crowd control.

I agree, the double barrel could use a boost. IRL if you get shot up close with a shotgun you are going to bleed like hell. Beans for Gews.

Beans.

It's more authentic, and makes the double-barreled a more viable choice for being a total badass.

I do agree. Sights are fine; adds to the difficulty of the weapon

It's already a double barrel shotgun. I don't think properly aligned/sized sights are going to make the gun that much more effective.

Just a cosmetic issue to make it seem less ridiculous when firing it.

The double Barrel have 2 trigger soo if i want i could shot the 2 shell at the same time. It need more work on it, Bean.

Shotguns overall in DayZ just don't have the same feel as in other games. For some like me carrying a shotgun as a secondary is common place, I mean think about it, the ammo is extremely common, slugs and pellets are just as common as Makarov rounds and it has a much higher effectiveness against humans.

Overall I think shotguns do need a bit of a damage buff in terms of Slugs and Pellets. I remember in the good old days of DayZ when a shotgun was about as deadly as DMR/M14, why because of that one shot Knockout with slugs and impressive often one-shot, one kill effectiveness with pellets.

I'd like to suggest a damage buff in addition to a fire rate buff for the double barrel, perhaps the double barrels long barrel length could contribute to the extra damage by delievering a high velocity round in the case of slugs, giving it a one shot knockout effect.

I'm also in support of a Sawn Off modification which can be made once a player finds a toolbox

The double barrel shotgun damage is a joke! its far too low and hardly any range which is bull shit. People think shotguns have no effective range just because how it's portrayed in cod and other arcade shooters >:(

I'd like to suggest a damage buff in addition to a fire rate buff for the double barrel, perhaps the double barrels long barrel length could contribute to the extra damage by delievering a high velocity round in the case of slugs, giving it a one shot knockout effect.

Agreed, slugs used to do the same damage as a Lee-Enfield, now they've been made 50% weaker. The problem is made even worse by how quickly slugs lose power, at 100 meters less than 60% of the damage remains. That part is actually realistic

The catalog energy figures for the common high-brass ("maximum") 12 gauge slug load are an impressive 2361 ft. lbs. at the muzzle, but only 926 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.

but there's no reason a big 1 oz, .70-plus caliber lead slug shouldn't be able to take someone out, unless they're wearing body armor.

Edited by Gews

Agreed, slugs used to do the same damage as a Lee-Enfield, now they've been made 50% weaker. The problem is made even worse by how quickly slugs lose power, at 100 meters less than 60% of the damage remains. That part is actually realistic

but there's no reason a big 1 oz, .70-plus caliber lead slug shouldn't be able to take someone out, unless they're wearing body armor.

Even with body armor pellets should be able to cause a knockout effect or even kill through force alone if one is close enough. It has been recorded that while body armor protects the user from the actual round, the chance to be killed from the force of the blow is greater the closer you are to the shooter.

Deer slugs have been recorded penetrating car doors and smashing through armor not through penetration but sheer force alone. I believe shotguns should be increased with additional benefits in addition to the buff in damage, perhaps an increased chance for leg breaking and the highest pain given per shot (so extremely shaky aim)

Even with body armor pellets should be able to cause a knockout effect or even kill through force alone if one is close enough. It has been recorded that while body armor protects the user from the actual round, the chance to be killed from the force of the blow is greater the closer you are to the shooter.

Slugs would cause damage, break bones and such, pellets would be more iffy since they spread the force out more even if they're all in a clump.

Deer slugs have been recorded penetrating car doors and smashing through armor not through penetration but sheer force alone. I believe shotguns should be increased with additional benefits in addition to the buff in damage, perhaps an increased chance for leg breaking and the highest pain given per shot (so extremely shaky aim)

The slugs in the game have half the penetration of a 7.62x51, but the same penetration as a 5.56.

I don't think one single penetration value is enough to be realistic.

Some things penetrate certain things well, while failing on others. A knife or a 5.56 FMJ can penetrate a ballistic vest with ease but could fail on other things, like animals... for example, a big, slow soft leaden bullet like a .45-70 could go completely through a bear and could smash through a heavy wall that a lighter bullet like the 5.56 might fail on, and military FMJ would tumble inside that bear and behave unpredictably. On the other hand I doubt a big, soft and decidedly non-pointy .45-70 bullet (I'm talking about the soft lead 1330 fps "original" load, not the modern "improved" ones) or lead shotgun slug would go through a ballistic vest. Of course the person behind would still be severely injured.

Different types of bullets but also different kinds of penetration and behaviour in different materials.

Both rounds have comparable levels of energy (1590 vs 1310 ft-lbs) but the .45-70 has far more momentum (77 pound-seconds vs 27 pound-seconds). Bohemia only considers the energy in their damage calculations - sometimes they may fudge it a little if they think something "should" be more powerful. They don't consider the caliber, expanding ammunition, etc, yet.

It's a lot better since they updated the damages in that patch - they used to have Makarovs almost twice as powerful as 9x19s, and a 1911 did three times as much damage as a 9mm. It just didn't make any sense... the new damages make a lot more sense but there are some failings, and it unintentionally messed things up for DayZ.

I agree this needs a boost, i remember i did once with slugs a 250m+ headshot on elektro when i was a bambi.

Fucken awesome.