mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 15th April Highest one ever

I agree but as I said the intention (IMO) isn't to replace TS, it's for communicating with others on the map who you don't know as many currently use sidechat for now.

TS TS TS TS, its Shit. Ventrillo kills it for clarity

• Like 1

Yeah, it's just easier to type and I'm lazy :)

I think a game like DayZ is about giving players the tools and options to do what they want, it's always amazing to see what people come up with. Radio's are just another part of what will become a very complex combo of items and gear.

Time will tell but I bet in the future people are using radio's for thing's we haven't even thought of yet.

Rocket has commented before on the "meta" game. Whether he was referring to that in a RP sense is something that I'm unsure of.

However, if I had my way, TS/Ventrillo/Skype would all be blocked whilst DayZ was open. As well as having sidechat disabled entirely. Is there any way to do this reliably? I just ask because it has significant implications to the game and, in my mind, undermines a lot of what DayZ is trying to accomplish.

Radios are a great addition that provide for in-game communication without needing to remove oneself from the game. The most important consequence for radios, to me, is that one has to find, repair, and/or modify said radio. This has tremendous implications and actually makes the player weigh differing consequences with the concept of communication. If it is moderately difficult to acquire, and TS/Ventrilo/Skype are blocked to some degree... it will cause several consequences to groups.

- Groups will have to stay within earshot of one another

-- This will add a layer of vulnerability to groups, who now operate with impunity because they're all communicating via third party programs

-- Sending a group member off to scavenge, forage, etc. will be immensely intense as if one does not have comms with him/her, you'll just have to wait and see what happened if he/she comes back

Depending on functionality, radios could also be used to alert other players and set off traps/explosive devices. Hopefully, the crafting system will keep this in mind. I know Rocket has said nearly as much regarding this, but I'll wait to see what they actually come up with.

Edited by Katana67

I think it's a great idea, preparing traps with will be awesome!!

Luring people into specific situations can be really fun... like leaving radio in hospital to announce intruder that he is surrounded to lay his weapons would be great!

Time will tell but I bet in the future people are using radio's for thing's we haven't even thought of yet.

Exchanging recommendations as to where to take a poo?

IF THERE ARE ANY SURVIVORS OUT THERE... AND YOU NEED A POO, GORKA HAS FANTASTIC HYGIENE STANDARDS.

Edited by mzltv

I use both and they have the same clarity for me. Both are great.

Edited by twinturbonet

IF THERE ARE ANY SURVIVORS OUT THERE... AND YOU NEED A POO, GORKA HAS FANTASTIC HYGIENE STANDARDS.

I'd love to hear that message come over the radio... So I could dash to Gorka and leave a satchel charge in the outhouse ready for the first desperate customer.

wrong,

Both softwares are good with clear sound and more than enough for any online gamer...

• Like 1

Wish I had more beans to give to this devblog!

Mumble kills both.

• Like 2

Ima be a hygene police and gun down anyone i see taking a poop or a wiz in public. It spreads germs and is just not socially acceptable behaviour... even during a zombie apocalypse. Let's all do the right thing and keep Cherneruse smelling fresh!

Edited by codestargod
  • Like 1

Will the craftable headphones tangle up in our pockets making them take more than ten seconds to use?

• Like 5

I think the work being done is vastly underestimated

[...]

the work being done to turn DayZ SA into a MMO rather than just a large mutliplayer game

server architecture are really much bigger

For what reason, other than Bohemia's say so, do people commonly believe (on these forums) that a client/server architecture should ever be time consuming to implement or server side game play for that matter?

Edited by gummy52

For what reason, other than Bohemia's say so, do people commonly believe (on these forums) that a client/server architecture should ever be time consuming to implement or server side game play for that matter?

Because it's easier to change the things in a house (the models, textures and world), than to change the actual inner walls and foundation of the house.

Writing actual code that executes certain functions and have many dependencies on other parts of the engine is much more complex than to just add a 3d image of a model or a building in an already existing world.

• Like 2

Common sense?

Writing actual code that executes certain functions and have many dependencies on other parts of the engine is much more complex than to just add a 3d image of a model or a building in an already existing world.

Wortie, why are you discussing how the client renders the world in response to a question about server/client communication?

You may have indirectly answered my question.

Edited by gummy52
  • Like 1

Nice short sharp video.

Merged.

Thanks, for a second thought it got deleted then had to check this one :) Did it as fast as possible

Wortie, why are you discussing how the client renders the world in response to a question about server/client communication?

You may have indirectly answered my question.

-edit

Yay, I feel like an *ss now, I just read more of your thread on memory hacking and saw you state you are a programmer so that answers that question of mine. I do still wonder why you assume that it's easy to add server/client-communication to an engine that previously had an entirely different system which was ripped out. They're basically starting from the ground-up so it's going to take some time.

Below is my original post - I shouldn't have been so lazy and read his whole thread before asking.

He doesn't. You just missed the point of his analogy but that doesn't surprise me really. Can I ask what your experience in programming is and how much you actually know about BIS' engine? I noticed in a thread you made about memory hacks that you don't know who Dwarden is and you even stated hoping he's not employed after he got in a bit of a discussion with you. Here's a hint, visit the BIS official forums....

Edited by BadLuckBurt
  • Like 1

He doesn't. You just missed the point of his analogy but that doesn't surprise me really. Can I ask what your experience in programming is and how much you actually know about BIS' engine? I noticed in a thread you made about memory hacks that you don't know who Dwarden is and you even stated hoping he's not employed after he got in a bit of a discussion with you. Here's a hint, visit the BIS official forums....

I assure you, I did not miss the point of the facile analogy. I'm of the impression, based on your post, that you're trying to drag me into a pissing contest. You asked about my experience in programming; although this is completely off topic, I'll comment that I've really loved C for a long time.

Earlier in this thread I scrutinized Bohemia cutting features, and the response came across to me as hyperbole; "the work they're doing is really great and is really under rated". I'm questioning how groundbreaking it really is and if it should be so time consuming as to take a year only to fall short of the mod. Again, I am in no rush to see the game released. I am concerned, though, that Bohemia is, and that they are over extending the capabilities of the team assigned to DayZ.

Edited by gummy52
  • Like 1

Who will you listen in on.. when they are using TS/Skype as well? It's an awesome concept. I think allot of people will reenact I am Legend or Walking dead, but Listening in conversations will probably leave you with an even longer beard :)

You misunderstood. You could set the radio on the ground, and listen for footsteps.

@gummy

Why not PM a dev? They may not reply, but if they do then you'll have your answers. I fail to understand what you want from us.

We can only go on the info we are given and trust the devs to be honest with us. They've been honest so far why would they change?

Something seems to have irritated you, I just cannot see what it is.

Try letting us know your issue in plain "salt of the earth" non programmy terms, use analogies and then perhaps we as a whole will understand the point you are trying to get across.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok

You misunderstood. You could set the radio on the ground, and listen for footsteps.

I think you misunderstood. The devblog says nothing about footsteps and even tells you its more simple then Arma2's ACRE.

I think you misunderstood. The devblog says nothing about footsteps and even tells you its more simple then Arma2's ACRE.

He confirmed this was possible at PAX.

He confirmed this was possible at PAX.

Show me where :)

I rewatched it and he doesn't mention footsteps.

Edited by PXXL

@gummy

Why not PM a dev? They may not reply, but if they do then you'll have your answers. I fail to understand what you want from us.

We can only go on the info we are given and trust the devs to be honest with us. They've been honest so far why would they change?

Something seems to have irritated you, I just cannot see what it is.

Try letting us know your issue in plain "salt of the earth" non programmy terms, use analogies and then perhaps we as a whole will understand the point you are trying to get across.

Rgds

LoK

Private messages are just that; private. I believe there are legitimate reasons to criticize Bohemia and Rocket, and that they should be publicly criticized. To the best of my knowledge, these are the only DayZ forums out there.

I believe that the Standalone Alpha should not be sold with less features than the DayZMod Alpha. The reponse I always get is that the work they're doing is awesome and truly under rated. I'm questioning how groundbreaking it really is and if it should be so time consuming as to take a year only to fall short of the mod. Many people seem to think that it is "okay" to simply trust in them. In the case of companies with multi million dollar budgets, I do not believe that has worked out positively in any case over the last 10 years.

Edited by gummy52