Powell (DayZ)

Remove Starter Flashlight; Bring Back Flares

If you don't have a bandage you aren't fully geared. xD

well, not FULLY geared but it's a giant pain in the ass any time you don't have a bandage, get hit and bleed to death.

couldn't stop myself

Bring back the old bandit skin while we are on the subject...

I love me the old bandito skin

• Like 1

updated with another nice screenshot

Also try not to turn this into a starter-gear general thread, mostly focusing on the night time element ;) But honestly I don't really care, just saying

I still use flares if i don't have nvgs AND if i can find a server that has night time.

Honestly, NVGs are more common than Day/Night cycles nowadays.

I say remove any and all starter gear. Flashlight, bandage, backpack. The whole lot.

It'd work better with the lighting fixed, it does get pretty hard to see sometimes, but I far prefer a challenging experience to a "loot 'em up, shoot 'em up" one.

• Like 4

I would like to see all starter gear removed, not just the flashlight. Maybe even start without a backpack, I tend to dump it on the coast anyway when I spawn in and search for a bigger one.

The nights in DayZ also don't really bother me. The full moon ones are bright enough for my taste and the ones without a moon are pure horror. One of my best experiences was crawling through a field with zeds after looting a town, going on sound to determine where they were headed.

• Like 1

Remove

-gamma slider

Not just not smart. The gamma slider is for people with weird monitors. Just because you don't have to use it doesn't mean others don't. It's a necessary evil.

Not just not smart. The gamma slider is for people with weird monitors. Just because you don't have to use it doesn't mean others don't. It's a necessary evil.

Can find a run-around.

Brightness and contrast would work but would only make sense if it was nerfed in the sense of how much you can alter the screen. Otherwise they can use the actual system settings in display to fine tune it any more which would not result in any in-game "cheating"

In my opinion, atleast

I'm fairly certain it wouldn't work out too well, but you know, nothing really will, but you still have to do something... if it doesn't work, then you can atleast say you tried.

Edited by McCullins

Don't remove flashlights entirely, just reduce their effectiveness. IMO you're much more likely to find flashlights than flares in Chernarus residential districts.

Don't remove flashlights entirely, just reduce their effectiveness. IMO you're much more likely to find flashlights than flares in Chernarus residential districts.

I never said remove flashlights. The entirety of the post is to enhance the fresh spawn experience at night.

Keep the flashlight but make them dependable on batteries!

Spawn with a flashlight without batteries (you are washed up ashore and they are *%^$ up by the sea.... (Yeah your flashlight would be &*^%% up too, but hey, it stays a game)

If your batteries run low you need to find new ones, so make those scarce... Ofcourse the ones you find can be used and like just 40% full.

This way you won't be running around with your flashlight burning all the time.

Also.... Dont use a battery indicator... You wouldnt know how full your battery is in real life either...

So when you spawn you are alone in the dark, scared as hell.

You will be happy to find and use flares/chemlights and will be more happy if you find batteries... Only a bit afraid to use them often since the batteries might die on you....

Adds the usage of flares and chemlights as well as immersion....

Edited by Azziax
  • Like 1

The flashlight should be removed from the game entirely.. unless they make it that you can use other weapons at the same time.

Flashlight and cant defend yourself so you can see..

Cant see but you can defend yourself..

Pretty retarded tbh. The only time a flashlight ever has any real utility is when you dont have ANYTHING else to use. I mean we cant even bash zeds in the face with the flashlight. Warz even does that :P

I agree somewhat, but no flashlights in an Zombie Apocalypse? What sorcery is this?

Idk it would be a question of how the survivor that washed up on a beach could get flares. Maybe he took them with him when he jumped off a boat, hence spawning on the beach. If that is added then every survivor should have a basic emergency kit.

The effectiveness of the flashlights should be reduced, that along with batteries as a requirement would mean that they wouldn't be effecting for prolonged periods of time and other light sources should be found. (Flares, barrel braziers, etc.)

The effectiveness of the flashlights should be reduced, that along with batteries as a requirement would mean that they wouldn't be effecting for prolonged periods of time and other light sources should be found. (Flares, barrel braziers, etc.)

a good alternative as well. Not sure if the flashlight can be tweaked much though, given how light works in the Arma2 engine

a good alternative as well. Not sure if the flashlight can be tweaked much though, given how light works in the Arma2 engine

Ahh right, I haven't really looked much at the Arma II engine but I'd assume there would be a way of reducing the intensity of the light or at least reduce the 'size' of the actual light source or something to that effect.

Probably something I'll have a look at if I get some spare time.

I never said remove flashlights. The entirety of the post is to enhance the fresh spawn experience at night.

fair enough

The first time I shined my flashlight at a zombie and he didn't react, I cried a little inside.

I like using the flashlight, but mostly I use it to attract the attention of other survivors. Chemlights are the best way to navigate the night, along with flares to light up areas.

The only problem I see with removing the starter flashlight is it gives even more reason for people to avoid playing at night. But, with all the options for 24/7 daylight and NVGs on spawn, I don't think it's much of a problem. I say remove it, along with all the other items.

----

About the lack of bandage meaning you bleed to death from a scratch.... have you tried bleeding to death in DayZ lately? You stop bleeding after a while.

The first time I shined my flashlight at a zombie and he didn't react, I cried a little inside.

I like using the flashlight, but mostly I use it to attract the attention of other survivors. Chemlights are the best way to navigate the night, along with flares to light up areas.

The only problem I see with removing the starter flashlight is it gives even more reason for people to avoid playing at night. But, with all the options for 24/7 daylight and NVGs on spawn, I don't think it's much of a problem. I say remove it, along with all the other items.

----

About the lack of bandage meaning you bleed to death from a scratch.... have you tried bleeding to death in DayZ lately? You stop bleeding after a while.

there are potential plans for zeds reacting to light within the mod

• Like 2

I agree with having flares as starting equipment over flashlights, more over I'd like to suggest to reduce the amount of flares you find. Normally most packs of flares I've found come in 3 or 5, not 10.

I disagree about the NO starting equipment at all, I'd suggest a bandage at the very least with no backpack, no painkillers or flashlights. Just two or three Flares and a single bandage.

Plus if you washed up on the shore from a boat or something, Flares are fairly common on ships apart of emergency SOS kits, alongside other emergency kits which provide additional materials. I have seen some SOS kits that keep two or three flares handy in addition to some very basic medical supplies (mostly plasters and bandages).

• Like 1

remove all started items, get rid of flashlights unless you can use them on your toolbelt.