Powell (DayZ)

Remove Starter Flashlight; Bring Back Flares

THIS IS BEING IMPLEMENTED! WOOHOO

-----------------------------------------

This is a kinda a spur-of-the-moment thread.

But I was watching some old DayZ videos from last summer and wow, the night life was much better.

Flares once lit the sky all along the coast as survivors struggled in the dark, blinded, confused, and most often alone.

Flares were your life line. but they were often your demise as well. It gave away your location to any bandits who saw it. It made using flares a risk, a toss-up.

Flares were also your signal fire; it was how you showed your position to your friends trying to meet you along the coast as you all spawned, disoriented.

Flares were your cocoon of comfort as your ran through the woods, the only world existing within the flare's minimal radius. Otherwise, you were left in a sea of darkness.

Flares guided you as the horde hit, allowing you to shoot the onslaught with your makarov within the red haze that was provided. Flares became the center for conflict.

When was the last time you saw a lone survivor use a flare to loot? For me, months ago; and I play almost daily. This would bring a purpose to the flashlight spawn again; flares are finite, a flashlight is not.

Bring back flares. Bring back the grouping that came along with survivors fighting in the night, and better yet bring back the stalking the occurred just outside the bright radius. It would bring a sense of nostalgia and action to the veterans and bring a sense of adventure to the newbies (or bambis, as many call them now) It would encourage more players to play during night, something DayZ has SEVERELY lacked recently.

Flashlights do not contribute the atmosphere that is DayZ.

If you agree, please show your support. We can make a difference --

A quote from the great youtuber PsiSyndicate 10 months ago:

if I don't use flares then I can't see anything at all ingame

(Pic related: what night looked like before the flashlight)

f36omb.png

v7f38h.png

2il1vf4.png

10cpvl2.png

qrdi8m.png

2e4enar.png

Edited by Powell
  • Like 15

The flashlight should be removed from the game entirely.. unless they make it that you can use other weapons at the same time.

Flashlight and cant defend yourself so you can see..

Cant see but you can defend yourself..

Pretty retarded tbh. The only time a flashlight ever has any real utility is when you dont have ANYTHING else to use. I mean we cant even bash zeds in the face with the flashlight. Warz even does that :P

Nighttime is quite intense, even with flashlights. Flashlights should be relatively valuable, but they can easily give away your position.

And let's face it-- what breaks nighttime is the gamma slider. Automatic nightvision, and it's awful.

There is no point in being on a server if you cant see anything. This is why there arnt really any servers that allow night without giving a full moon with clear skies. Its just not "fun" and thus people logout.

Really good idea, the flashlight is a bit of a pain to have to take out anyway. :)

Remove

-gamma slider

Nerf

-night vision (or remove entirely)

-flashlight duration (add batteries)

Fix

-lighting glitch with flashlights

Add

-eyes adjusting to night

During the nighttime, I usually use flashlights because they are mobile, and can light indoors, as flares only light outdoors. When I find myself without one, I use chemlights indoors and flares outdoors.

The lighting glitch actually gives me away more, as with flares it tends to be not as apparent at that point and the flashlight serves as a LIVE reference to my position.

This is my opinion to improve nighttime, other than removing it completely, as when you find yourself in a zombie apocalypse you DON'T go into dangerous zombie-infested areas when you can't see 2 feet in front of your face. IMO, you'd be sleeping. For the amount of time we spend living in our character's lives it makes sense it'd be during the day, because we aren't logged into our characters 365/24/7/12/60/60 (three-hundred sixty-five days a year, twelve hours a day, seven days a week, twelve hours a day, sixty minutes an hour, sixty seconds a minute).

Just wanted to get that little orange-ish bit off my chest. Please don't reply to that section because you might just derail this thread.

Edited by McCullins
  • Like 6

They shouldn't remove Gamma, but do what ArmA 3 did. If it's color is pretty much black, then it doesn't change it. I noticed this a lot when I saw players spamming in the chat "I can't see shit and gamma doesn't work pls help"

Back to a nicer time... When it felt like your character's life meant something...

• Like 8

I do think the flashlight has more drawbacks than the flares do. Tossing a flare does lighten up a particular area without you being seen. Holding a flashlight only reveals your position which makes it difficult for fresh spawns..

Remove all starter gear.

I still wouldn't use flares unless I was with a group though, lol.

• Like 5

Remove all starter gear.

I still wouldn't use flares unless I was with a group though, lol.

Lets be Honest, I wouldn't mind this but you are going to have some way to bandage a wound. So I say AT LEAST keep one bandage

Why? :)

You could break your legs and you don't spawn with morphine.

You don't spawn with a bandage in DayZ 2017 and the drop rate for them is lower than stock DayZ, getting hit by a zombie and running around bleeding, frantically looking for a bandage, is actually quite epic, lol. Awesome feeling when you eventually find one...

Edited by mZLY

You don't spawn with a bandage in DayZ 2017 and the drop rate for them is lower than stock DayZ, getting hit by a zombie and running around bleeding, frantically looking for a bandage, is actually quite epic, lol. Awesome feeling when you eventually find one...

I've played DayZ 2017 and Yes I agree that can be quite fun but since this game is based on "realism" of a zombie outbreak I think most people would have clothing they could cover a wound with.

• Like 1

I believe you're supposed to have washed up on the shore of Chernarus, it would make more sense for you to have nothing with you IMO. :)

• Like 1

I believe you're supposed to have washed up on the shore of Chernarus, it would make more sense for you to have nothing with you IMO. :)

You have the clothes on your back my friend, those can easily be used as a bandage =) You spawn us naked? Thats a different story

That's more of an idea for the standalone when crafting is introduced, not really viable for the mod.

Either make night actually playable: ie, A bit brighter depending on the moon. Because right now I logout every time it turns night, I just can't stand it.

OR

Make the flashlight a bit better: ie, Not seizure inducing shaking when running, is it that hard to hold it still? You guys want cross hairs and HUD removed and pooping and diseases included because its realistic. Well this flashlight isn't the most realistic thing, and it should be improved.

I dont like the idea of brightening the moon really, but I do agree that the flashlight needs improvement

I wouldn't mind a bit more moonlight. The moon and stars give off a lot more light in real life than they do in DayZ.

I wouldn't mind a bit more moonlight. The moon and stars give off a lot more light in real life than they do in DayZ.

And in Dayz they would be brighter thx to no light pollution eg. Vegas.

Flashlights are more common with civilians than flares it makes sense to have it as starter gear

Flashlights aren't even that good IMO, I usually just grab a chemlight and run around with it. Can't even use a weapon with flashlight so it's almost useless.

being fully geared and having a random zombie make you bleed out from max blood in 1 hit because you can't find a bandage anywhere has got to be one of the worst feels possible.

Flashlights aren't even that good IMO, I usually just grab a chemlight and run around with it. Can't even use a weapon with flashlight so it's almost useless.

being fully geared and having a random zombie make you bleed out from max blood in 1 hit because you can't find a bandage anywhere has got to be one of the worst feels possible.

If you don't have a bandage you aren't fully geared. xD

• Like 2

I love using flares. Sure it gives your position away but the flashlight is more annoyance than help. The fact it doesnt aggro zombies is also a tad silly.

• Like 1