Sign in to follow this  
badluckburt

Standalone Armory

Like the title says. Timboski suggested a PvE-mode for the standalone where you can't hurt each other (which I'm not for) so new people could familiarise themselves with the game.

Anyway, I was thinking something different. Most of us know the Armory that's in Arma without which we'd never have been able to fly those helis, at least not without dying as much.

I hope there's at least some sort of sandbox for helicopters. I think it was mentioned somewhere along the line that the helicopter controls might end up more like TOH which makes it alot harder to fly on Expert and above, I'm learning right now so I'll be ok if that's the case but I'm thinking of those that don't. If they also add the start-up procedure, most people will not take off but ruin their helis unless they look up what to do.

There should be no zeds in the Armory mode, just the terrain and the stuff you want to practice with.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with you on the level that it could help to have the Armory function, as many people learnt using this/editor in regards to choppers and that, but... it's the only feature that would need to be included in the Armory subset...

I dunno.. If that's the case, it just hardly seems worth creating if you can just learn through the game itself / through other people.

why?

it's much cooler and also nicer to learn it by yourself in the world...

Whilst I agree with you on the level that it could help to have the Armory function, as many people learnt using this/editor in regards to choppers and that, but... it's the only feature that would need to be included in the Armory subset...

I dunno.. If that's the case, it just hardly seems worth creating if you can just learn through the game itself / through other people.

Depending on how things play out, you might end up taking a lot of time to repair a heli and then crashing it everytime you have lift-off if you're not good. Without any means to practice, that's bound to lead to frustration if it takes too long.

I do agree with you saying that the helicopters will be the only thing really necessary but people who suck at shooting might appreciate the opportunity for practice.

why?

I understand that is fun for some but for others it's not, the TOH flight model is different from Arma's and if you don't know what you're doing without the simulation helpers, things are gonna go awry.

It's not like you'll be forced to learn in the Armory, it's just there if you want it.

-edit: made a typo, the horror

Edited by BadLuckBurt

why?

Want to make a video demonstrating the differents between the Mk48, M240? I'll see you in a year when you naturally loot them.

I like this armory idea.

Edited by Trizzo

Think this has its merits, though Id like to see more of a 'boot camp' for training and getting the hang of things (could even make it somewhat story driven, someone suggested a short single player campaign that would occur during the early days of the infection, maybe break it up like that). Like how to do vehicle repairs, first aid, gun repair, ect.

I understand that is fun for some but for other it's not

This game has no artificial experience. No levels, experience points, etc. Everything you do is something you learned to do in-game. Being able to fly a helicopter at will kind of defeats the point, since anyone could do it. The point of implementing a difficult control scheme when it comes to helicopters was to make them less accessible, without being extremely rare. This makes piloting a true skill to be valued by others, practiced and honed over time.

I mean, let's face it, not every normal civilian would have the luxury of using the equivalent of a helicopter simulator in the scenario of DayZ.

DayZ needs more 'skills' such as these. Hunting (as in, tracking wild game), shooting, navigating, driving, scavenging... These should all be difficult to master. What's so rewarding about this game is that fact. For example, after many months of playing, I can situate nearly exactly where I am in Chernarus at all times, no matter how I got there. I'm proud to know exactly where I am at all times just by glancing at the scenery, while my teammates scratch their heads in confusion. There need to be more of these.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 2

Absolutely not!

The game is supposed to have a steep learning curve and there should be only one way to practise your skills and thats by playing the game and certainly not by taking every gun that exists prior to "spawning" for a spin whenever you like.

As my predecessor pointed out quite correctly the difficulty of mastering certain aspects of the game and the potential loss when failing inherently transports the value that makes this game so great.

Dont fuck it up for us!

Edited by R9Rsc68avHbs

Want to make a video demonstrating the differents between the Mk48, M240? I'll see you in a year when you naturally loot them.

I like this armory idea.

Welcome to dayZ

Very Ape and R9Rsc68avHbs, you guys do have a point. I just thought I'd put this out there to see what the sentiment was, I'm getting my Take On anyway so I'll be piloting my way through Chernarus np.

I guess we'll see what happens when the SA comes around.

When it turns out it's too difficult in-game they could always add something but I don't wanna hear anybody whining it's too hard! jk

• Like 1

Meh, if they don't make one people are probably just going to try to port stuff back into ArmA 2. A shooting range mission would be nice.

In real life you wouldn't know how to fly a heli right after you got done repairing it.......

Edited by TheBanditBambi

Great thing about DayZ is you learn on the go.

Or you die.

If you don't learn from your deaths.

You die again.

As soon as you understand and master all mechanics in DayZ, you wish you could go back and take the blue pill.

Edited by Dallas

Helicopters do need to be harder to fly, and no armory.

This will prevent a huey flying all over the map killing players like it's Battlefield 3.

Only skilled pilots should be enjoying the open skies.

• Like 1