Marvel (DayZ)

Rocket: Console version almost certain

See: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123007-DayZ-Creator-A-Console-Port-is-Almost-Certain

What do you think? I don't like the idea of a console version at all. Development will go even slower then it is already right now and I'm so scared that the console with its low-end hardware (yes, even the PS4) will hold back the PC version.

• Like 2

I've never liked the idea of a console version. It could never be a complete representation of what DayZ is like on the PC.

But at the same time, this is based upon my idea of how DayZ Mod could do if transferred to a console. DayZ SA may be so streamlined and the amount of controls required reduced so much, that it could be quite an easily transferrable thing.

I do fear for the people who want to play DayZ seriously on the console version though. I can imagine a shit tonne more PvP than anything else.

I've never liked the idea of a console version. It could never be a complete representation of what DayZ is like on the PC.

But at the same time, this is based upon my idea of how DayZ Mod could do if transferred to a console. DayZ SA may be so streamlined and the amount of controls required reduced so much, that it could be quite an easily transferrable thing.

I do fear for the people who want to play DayZ seriously on the console version though. I can imagine a shit tonne more PvP than anything else.

console gets the lowest of the low in behavior some good people so many dicks but what do you expect.

Edited by nousernamehelp

I feel sad for those playing Day Z on the console.

And I would feel really really disappointed if they cut in half the controls, interface and performance of the game on the PC just because it will be the same shit on the console. Hope they don't do that... (I guess they won't but you never know)

I don't think it will ruin PC development at all. It will come after alpha and after the launch goes smoothly. I just cant see a gamepad working all of the complex controls.

I don't think it will ruin PC development at all. It will come after alpha and after the launch goes smoothly. I just cant see a gamepad working all of the complex controls.

That's what I'm scared off, if the console version is a huge sale hit it will become the leading version and everything will be optimized and built for the console and ported to the PC.

That would be a nightmare.

• Like 5

Inb4 legions of idiotic "OMFG ALL CONSOLE PLAYERS ARE KIDZ AND CONSOLE SUX!!!111!! LOL" type posts.

Now, on-topic, I have no problem with this at all. DayZ is a fantastic game, and there's no technical reason why it wouldn't be possible on one of the new-generation consoles. I'm not convinced the hardware in the current generation (particularly the 360) is enough to do DayZ justice. I can't imagine any situation where the console version is going to delay the PC version, especially seeing as the PC version seems to be approaching completion (or at least the Alpha stage), and to the best of my knowledge, the ARMA/ToH engine hasn't been remotely designed for consoles and as such would require reasonably extensive converting/optimising.

As far as the controls issue goes, there's actually not all that much to worry about when you think about it. Remember, even the current generation gamepads have 16 buttons on them (not including the thumbsticks, which will be used to control movement/camera). Off the top of my head, I'm not sure I use that many buttons regularly, and lesser-used functions can always be mapped to a sub-menu, much like the current mousewheel menu.

Bottom line is, DayZ is a great game, and the more people that get to experience it, the better it is for everyone - opening it to consoles creates a whole new market for the BIS guys, which potentially means more cashflow, which potentially means they're able to expand and give us more awesome stuff like ARMA and DayZ. I don't really see how anyone can be against this for anything other than 'I want it to be PC-only because elitism/console kids iz douchebags lol'.

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 1

It is not about controls but amount of RAM, CPU and GPU. A console version will be far more limited.

_Anubis_

We were promised a year of development on the PC version after SA release, I'll be utterly disappointed if several months of that are cut away to work on the console version.

I have no problem with a console version, but I feel like it's going to compromise the PC version in some way

I don't think Rocket would delay the PC versions development, I reckon he'll manage to develop both at a consistent pace that doesn't have a negative effect. Also, the only reason I'd purchase the console version is if I can't afford to upgrade/buy a new rig, since my current pc is a complete piece of sh*t.

i dont care about if it comes to console at some point, all i care about, and im sure many other people agree with me on, is the development and the release of dayz on pc, I dont see what the problem people have with it being released on console, i wouldnt buy it personally, but they are a company and the aim of a company is to make money, and today with a large community on consoles, there is alot of money to be made, so imo it would be foolish for them not to, and to the people wondering about the release date and how console will affect its "development speed" for pc, you need to remember that current consoles (360,ps3) are not capable of running a high demanding game such as dayz, to my knowledge atleast. So ask yourself why would they develop a game for a console which could not support it, sure they could develop it for next gen consoles but as far as i know the soonest one of those will be released is by the end of next year, also whose to say the new consoles could even run it?, i dont think sony and microsoft are going to be putting expensive, top of the line gpus into their new consoles, and not only that dean (developer of dayz) hasnt even mentioned console development of dayz has even begun yet, besides it would be stupid of them to start working a console port, when they dont even know whether dayz will be successful on pc (although im sure it will)

Hello there

I would think a console version is almost inevitable.

This does not mean it will be the same as the PC version. And unless R steps back I don't think it will impact to heaviliy on the PC development.

I would not worry unduly.

Rgds

LoK

It'd have to be handled like Minecraft.

They'd wait until 1.0 was released on PC before porting it to console. Do you have any idea how much it costs to release an update on Xbox LIVE? That's why stuff like the extra maps for L4D2 cost money for Xbox, whereas they were just included in updates on PC.

• Like 3

once rocket has finished the game to a good extent then release on console?

i think control wise it would work ok. i use a controller on the pc version and have most of my controls mapped, and could easily have them all the important stuff with context-sensitive controls

Frankly there isn't anything to worry about in regards to the pc version as that will already be launched before they think of making a console port also I'm fairly sure a PS4 could run DayZ as they have higher specs than my pc.

Oh also in the same interview (though Im not sure if its in the link as I read it on a different site) Rocket said he spoke to Sony and they were very interested in DayZ, which makes the posters of confirmed devs and publishers working with the PS4 more interesting as BI was on that list.

Edited by Movin_pics

Every time developers say "it wont impact the PC version" and it does, it always does. Suddenly patching is slower (especially with the small Dayz team) and things get changed so they can work with the consoles. Otherwise the developers start moaning about having to treat both versions differently and it taking more time for patching.

It'll just be the worst thing ever, before you know it, there wont be dedicated servers, everyone will be bunny hopping, there will be quick knives, leader boards and you wont lose your stuff when you die and there will be some map that shows you where everything is.

I don't want instances as it is, they're fine for Skyrim, however for a multiplayer game. It'll end up like EQ2 there where the whole world is dead because everyone is in their own instance they created. Like why can't player bases work? I don't think any kind of building would work well in the default Dayz, however that doesn't stop for the option of having a different map built for it in a different mode.

At this rate I'll just end up sticking to the Mod.

• Like 2

This won't be Call of Duty, in that the console folks get first pickings and the leftovers get ported to PC. this will in fact be the other way around, much like Minecraft. I can't see it being an issue, at the end of the day the devs need to make money to keep this project viable and the console market is way too big to leave out.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to release an update on Xbox LIVE? That's why stuff like the extra maps for L4D2 cost money for Xbox, whereas they were just included in updates on PC.

Indeed. In fact, I believe that Microsoft had something in place for a long time that meant that developers/publishers HAD to charge for all DLC above a certain size. I seem to remember this being an issue with the DLC for the original Left 4 Dead, as Valve wanted to give it away free, but Microsoft wouldn't let them. I don't know if that's still in place, mind.

Hello there

I would think a console version is almost inevitable.

This does not mean it will be the same as the PC version. And unless R steps back I don't think it will impact to heaviliy on the PC development.

I would not worry unduly.

Rgds

LoK

^

I don't see why it would not work on a console, you do not need many of the arma controls for DayZ. Clearly it is a pc game being ported to console this time around so thats a one up for us pc purists :) Plus it will introduce DayZ and its style to a whole new bunch of gamers which can be a good thing.

• Like 1

"When I approached the topic of DayZ coming to consoles, Hall admitted that despite a lot of speculation, nobody had really posed the question to him in a straightforward manner. After I took the opportunity to do so, he revealed that while a console version of the title isn't currently in development, there's nothing keeping it from happening in the future.

"Certainly I think if we don't, for want of a better word 'fuck up,' the PC release then I would say a console port is almost certain," Hall revealed. "I know a lot of people get really hot and bothered about it. Like, I'm not a console gamer, I'm a PC gamer, but I don't think it necessarily has to hurt things."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123007-DayZ-Creator-A-Console-Port-is-Almost-Certain

"But what consoles would be likely to see a DayZ title in the future? At the moment it seems like the PS4 may be the leading candidate. "It appears to be the kind of game that Sony are interested in, I think we just have to wait and see," he continued. "We've talked and met with Sony, and they're very - you know, they're obviously interested."

So if you were unsure if a console port is going to happen, now you know.

I know a lot of people get really hot and bothered about it.

As long as it doesn't dumb down or mess with the PC version, I couldn't care less.

• Like 1