Sign in to follow this  
Slugfoot

Improvised night vision.

An attempt to redeem myself after my crappy "hurricane lamp" suggestion. ;)

My suggestion is to be able to craft infrared 'viewers' from things like old video cameras / cameras and phonecams (all very common everywhere) and infrared lamps scavenged from security systems in shops, carparks or just IR filters used in photography (also pretty common) stuck over a regular flashlight.

Q - "Don't be silly. Who the fuck would be 'tech savvy' enough to make one of these?" :rolleyes:

A - "Anyone who can operate a roll of duck tape! ;)

Just about any digital camera will do but newer ones have an infrared filter in them to keep IR light out which sometimes needs to be removed (older cameras are better because they don't have them).

You can test this theory out right now if you want...Get your camera or phonecam out and get the television remote control. View the end of the control through the camera and press any button on the control - you'll see a light come on at the end. Now try it without viewing through the camera and you will see nothing.

Illuminate something in infrared and you will be able to see it through just about any digital camera.

This is more of a germ of an idea really, and I'm hoping that others might be able to expand it a little into something that could be able to be utilised in the crafting aspect of the game.

Again...thought, please?

• Like 13

Actually a pretty cool idea. At first I thought it would be horrifyingly unrealistic or complete gibberish (Apache25 anyone?), but it's actually doable.

• Like 2

Holy crap I just tried it. Mind friggin' blown.

Nein, I just imagined what it must look like.

Dude. Try it. You won't regret it.

It's actually very easy. A mate of mine uses a lash-up of this sort for shooting rats on his allotment. He just lights the area with IR lamps and uses a camera at the back of his scope. :)

you should be able to forge nightvision out of goggles and green celaphane

• Like 2

That's pretty awesome, i'll try this when i recharge my phone.

But I have only one suggestion to add into your original post, Batteries.

Maybe this could be another use for batteries in game? I'm sure someone else could expand on this in more detail.

Yes, batteries occurred to me. There are various ways one can recharge phone / camera batteries without the regular mains adapter but these are probably too complicated for an in-game crafting system, I suspect.

Maybe they could be recharged through vehicle cigarette lighter sockets and just assume you always have an appropriate adapter with you?

Yes, batteries occurred to me. There are various ways one can recharge phone / camera batteries without the regular mains adapter but these are probably too complicated for an in-game crafting system, I suspect.

Maybe they could be recharged through vehicle cigarette lighter sockets and just assume you always have an appropriate adapter with you?

It wouldn't be that hard to implement but it would just be an issue with authenticity seeing as chernarus is mean't to be poor country.

Also a mains charger would be useless unless you had a generator powering it due to the power being out.

Another idea would be a wind up charger for electrical devices but I know in the past these things are very very flimsy so you wouldn't get much use out of it before it breaks and they are very loud from what I remember.

As for a charging a device through a cigarette lighter port I have no issues with that as long as it doesn't start a fire in the car.

That'd be a good use for the crafting system.

I made something similar out of 2 busted cameras. You need quite a lot of lamps/diodes to see outside for any distance though. Everyday commercial stuff isn't very powerful.

If you're using this style of improvised Night Vision, anyone with a similar detector/display or proper NVGs will see your IR lamp too, so it would work like torches do, but only if you're able to see it.

Besides the gadgets. You should have a button to keep your eyes closed for a while, so when you open them your vision adjusts better to the dark.

• Like 1

I agree on all the points above.

Powerful lamps and batteries could be salvaged from chopper crash sites, though I don't know where you might get a large enough IR filter for the front...Maybe sheets or rolls of IR filter plastic could be had from schools/labs, etc?

....Or maybe military choppers have good IR lights on them as part of their Forward Looking Infra Red system? I don't know. Maybe some research would give a better idea.

I think it could be cool if you could set up an IR lamp or lashlight somewhere and then watch from a distance with a camera/phonecam as a sort of trap that will illuminate people without them even knowing.

"Besides the gadgets. You should have a button to keep your eyes closed for a while, so when you open them your vision adjusts better to the dark. "

Slight derail. - Did you ever wonder why so many pirates are depicted as wearing an eye patch?

It's not necessarily because they'd lost an eye.

Imagine you are a pirate captain on the deck of your ship in bright Carribean sunshine and you have to go into the gloom below decks to read charts, or whatever. You wouldn't be able to see shit even with the oil lamps lit...So what do you do?

Answer - Lift up your eye patch revealing one eye that is accustomed to dark...Voila! Instant night vision! B)

Edited by Slugfoot
  • Like 2

oh wow that's cool, but how will they be used in game possibly as a signal?

oh wow that's cool, but how will they be used in game possibly as a signal?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you confusing the hurricane lamp thread with this one, perhaps?

Nice idea

See this guys guide

Looks quite fiddly though.

I remember that guide from a while ago. :)

It's not quite what I'm suggesting. My idea is little more than taping an IR torch to a digital camera of some sort and viewing via the LCD display. I thought this would be more practical since there's no soldering or fiddling with circuit boards required.

Edited by Slugfoot

Yep. I suspect this is because there's a filter behind the lens blocking the IR light from getting to the sensor. I don't know the reason as to why they do this. I suspect it's to try to ensure that the image taken is more faithful to what you actually see with the eye instead of picking up extraneous light from IR sources like security lights, etc.....Who knows?

Wouldn't you essentially need an IR light as powerful as the flood lights they use to light stadiums for it to be of any more worth than a military flashlight? :S

Tried it. ~Boooooooom My mind was blown. This was litterally my face when I tried it :wacko:

@mZLY....The suggestion is somewhat different from NVG's and night scopes which work on an entirely different principle altogether (image intensification)....Although, NVG's and night scopes can also see stuff illuminated by infrared light. (Night scopes I used in the military also came with an IR torch attached to them.)

This is essentially a 'poor man's night vision' which would enable visibility of stuff within the range of the IR light source, it doesn't work by amplifying low levels of available ambient light.

The advantage over a regular flashlight is that other players would not be able to see the light. It's probably best suited to creeping around buildings or woods, etc. in the pitch dark rather than sniping people at a distance. - If you wanted to, say, ambush someone in the dark from a distance then you could 'plant' the IR light source at the appropriate spot and then watch from a distance through the camera.

Edited by Slugfoot