Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

SA: 'No advanced weapons'

The fact that there are military present, is reason enough. The military is a simple structure. There are teams, squads, platoons, each with their own jobs and designations and each with their own specialty weapons. It's not something they go, hey we need this... it's something that if they are required to have.

Where as that is correct, some weapons and items are not standard issue. Lets say then that these weapons were included on the strength that it was 'possible'. With the mod the way it is, no matter how rare you make an item people will get it if they want it hence the popularity of the high end sniper weapons, so including non standard issue weapons and making them very rare doesn't limit their numbers. The best way to simulate their rareness is not to have them at all,this would not be detrimental to the SA in any way so why not?

The fact that there are military present, is reason enough. The military is a simple structure. There are teams, squads, platoons, each with their own jobs and designations and each with their own specialty weapons. It's not something they go, hey we need this... it's something that if they are required to have.

Would there technically be .50-cals somewhere in the country? Probably. Would you see people roaming the hills with them? Hell no.

In the game, there's no way to properly represent the real-world discomfort and irrationality of choosing a .50-caliber rifle as a survival weapon, so people will choose them every time. And it will make the game that much stupider.

The discussion is useless. Both sides are right and wrong. There is no 'one truth' in this matter, at least nothing what anyone of 'us', of the community can know.

The game is meant to be authentic and immersive. What's most important to create immersion, is coherence in the setting. And that has to be determined by the Development Team.

The history and situation of the country has to be determined.

The way the infection, the zeds work, has to be determined.

If those are created with 'a bit of this and a bit of that', it will not be coherent and not provide the immersion it could.

To stay on topic; considering the AS50.

Which countries use the AS50? UK I'm sure, else I don't know. I doubt that it's used by Czech or Russian forces.

The only reason to have an AS50 in DayZ, which takes place in a Eastern/Central European Country similar to the Czech Republic, is to have foreign forces stationed, that use the AS50.

If the devs decide to have foreign forces stationed in Chernarus, as a part of the setting, alright.

But if not, the largest part of Military weapons should be

these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Czech_Republic#Small_arms_.26_hand_weapons

and maybe these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Russian_Ground_Forces#Infantry_weapons

And of course older variants.

Would there technically be .50-cals somewhere in the country? Probably. Would you see people roaming the hills with them? Hell no.

In the game, there's no way to properly represent the real-world discomfort and irrationality of choosing a .50-caliber rifle as a survival weapon, so people will choose them every time. And it will make the game that much stupider.

I've only stumbled on I think 2-3 .50 cals in all my time playing, other times my friends stumbled on them first. To be honest? I don't pick them up usually, if anything I'll bury it in a zombie or let my friend have it. I'm not as effective with them as I am with an assault rifle, and I'd rather have 4 mags of 30 rounds than 4 mags of 10 rounds. Though I don't see the point in restricting other peoples play just because that's not how I want to play.

Why not just add a weight system, I've been playing Dayz Mercenary where if you have a full bag of engine parts/jerry cans ect you fatigue and eventually pass out. Sacrificing possible loot like food and water to go hunting with a "30lb" weapon seems like a good trade of for risk/reward.

Why not just add a weight system, I've been playing Dayz Mercenary where if you have a full bag of engine parts/jerry cans ect you fatigue and eventually pass out. Sacrificing possible loot like food and water to go hunting with a "30lb" weapon seems like a good trade of for risk/reward.

I'm all for a weight system, to be honest. I don't think anyone should pass out or anything though. It would just alter movement/speed and require them to consume more thirst. This has been suggested before though.

I'm all for a weight system, to be honest. I don't think anyone should pass out or anything though. It would just alter movement/speed and require them to consume more thirst. This has been suggested before though.

Yeah it also plays quite well. If not frustrating at times.

Stalker had a very good weight system, I think something like that would work well and force players to make choices under pressure while scavenging. I'd like to have to choose between taking extra food or ammo and have to sneak or taking less and being able to outrun zombies.

So the AS50 isn't on their list, but they have two other .50 caliber rifles to take the AS50/M107's place.

Yup. The next step would be to determine the size and crew of the bases in the area.

Then, to determine what happened to the military before, during and after the outbreak.

Is the outbreak limited to the area or global?

If it's global, would there be additional military in the area or rather less, to defend other locations 'off the map'?

If (some of) the military was pulled off to other locations, did the remaining personnel stay in their bases or spread over the map to defend other spots?

Did they fail and decided to leave the area or did they all die? (or were they pulled off also?)

If they left, did they leave in a hurry or did they take the time to evacuate and empty the bases, to take as much equipment with them as possible?

If they took their stuff, we can say that only few military weapons are left, those that are in crashed trucks/jeeps and on dead soldiers. Maybe a few (probably damaged/malfunctioning) left behind in the bases.

What weapon types will those be? Any of the Czech/Russian guns. But not hundreds of them and not hundreds of rounds for each weapon.

That's just one possible outcome. Honestly, it would be my personal favourite, but there are other (not better nor worse) possibilities. Which one it's going to be, is up to Rocket and his team.

Edit: And a weight system is a must in my opinion. Also, rarer ammo.

So the Player is confronted with decisions all the time: military sniper weighing 20+ lbs, with 5 rounds, never knowing when you'll find more ammo vs. .22 Hunting Rifle with 30+ rounds, a lot lighter, and ammo everywhere.

Edited by Nihilisst

Which countries use the AS50? UK I'm sure, else I don't know. I doubt that it's used by Czech or Russian forces.

Is the UK even using it at the moment, or are they still using the AW50? As far as I know the UK hasn't even deployed its .50 cals to Afghanistan, they've been using .338s instead, and they currently hold the record for "longest range sniper kill" with that caliber.

Though I don't see the point in restricting other peoples play just because that's not how I want to play.

I don't want to restrict play styles. I said replace it with rifles more likely to be found. Wanna snipe at 1000m+ ranges? Use a .300 Win Mag or whatever European equivalent, tons of people have them and shoot at extended ranges with them, and they'd be more likely to be carried around by survivors.

We could add in chainsaws, too, they're pretty common and they exist in real life, but in my opinion that would be absolutely ridiculous... same with .50 cals.

Edited by Gews

Anti-Material Weapons aren't needed.

This is a zombie apocalypse, not a war. I don't care if you want to show off your sniping skills by killing other players who can't see or hear you. Personally, I would never fucking snipe on this game. Why? Which of these situations provides more 'fun';

-Sitting in a bush on top of a hill, waiting for a survivor to pass by for you to shoot.

-Going through a city, constantly checking your corners, keeping your six covered, and making sure to not be spotted.

I'd go with option 2. It provides more excitement and tension then just whistling and drinking a soda while you point at some poor sap and click to kill.

We could add in chainsaws, too, they're pretty common and they exist in real life, but in my opinion that would be absolutely ridiculous... same with .50 cals.

Yeah, plus chainsaws are incredibly loud and will:

A. Give away your position to both zombies and survivors

B. Use valuable fuel

Chainsaws are a horrible weapon for a Zombie Apocalypse. :/

I like anti-material/anti-vehicle sniper rifles; it's bullshit to let Bandits run around unopposed in trucks and whatnot. The issue is how common the weapons are, and their ammo. I feel like taking them away will make helicopters/cars too useful.

I'm so sick of the bitching about antimaterial sniper rifles. They would be extremely rare and their ammo would be even more rare if it wasn't for the hackers. I've never found one in it's natural environment. If a server of 60 people has one or two jerks who want to lug those things around (not like they weigh any more than any other weapon) and go all Charles Whitman from the top of the smokestacks in Cherno have at it. I just don't want the game to be a constant sniper duel at 1000 m where the "default" loadout is AS50, DMR and a ghillie suit.

SOME advanced weapons are neccessary. it gives you something to aspire to. But it also makes you a target. If there are only a couple of Barett M107s or AS50s, don't you think people are going to start hunting those snipers to get their hands on those guns?

I don't want to have the default weapon be a baseball bat with a nail through it either.

Is the UK even using it at the moment, or are they still using the AW50? As far as I know the UK hasn't even deployed its .50 cals to Afghanistan, they've been using .338s instead, and they currently hold the record for "longest range sniper kill" with that caliber.

I don't want to restrict play styles. I said replace it with rifles more likely to be found. Wanna snipe at 1000m+ ranges? Use a .300 Win Mag or whatever European equivalent, tons of people have them and shoot at extended ranges with them, and they'd be more likely to be carried around by survivors.

Why is it ridiculous? sounds good to me...

Edited by p4triot

I like anti-material/anti-vehicle sniper rifles; it's bullshit to let Bandits run around unopposed in trucks and whatnot. The issue is how common the weapons are, and their ammo. I feel like taking them away will make helicopters/cars too useful.

Honestly I don't even really agree with helicopters being in the game... :huh:

SOME advanced weapons are neccessary. it gives you something to aspire to. But it also makes you a target. If there are only a couple of Barett M107s or AS50s, don't you think people are going to start hunting those snipers to get their hands on those guns?

Please tell me what's wrong with making the "weapon to aspire to" a bolt-action .338 Lapua Magnum with a bipod and a 5-25x scope....

Why is it ridiculous? sounds good to me...

Chainsaws are incredibly loud and will:

B. Use valuable fuel

• Like 1

Honestly I don't even really agree with helicopters being in the game... :huh:

Please tell me what's wrong with making the "weapon to aspire to" a bolt-action .338 Lapua Magnum with a bipod and a 5-25x scope....

Sure. Take helicopters out and you can take the LAW/AM rifles out :)

And I don't have a problem with counter-terrorist weapons like the Accuracy International L1169A1. You don't want to take ALL the fun out of sniping, do you? I personally like it when playing overwatch while friends charge a city, although it has the slowest bolt cycling time.

I personally think that vehicles (cars) should be more common. But fuel be much rarer. I'm pretty much against helicopters.

In addition to that, and the fact that loot will spawn in every house, every car, etc. I'd like to see 'walking' become the standard movement speed.

So to travel long distances, you'd *need* a car.

Because the second worst thing about the Mod (not counting bugs and glitches), after the senseless Killing on Sight everywhere, is the fact that there is no reason not to do the 'Balota-Cherno-Stary-NWAF'-Run.

• Like 1

Sure. Take helicopters out and you can take the LAW/AM rifles out :)

And I don't have a problem with counter-terrorist weapons like the Accuracy International L1169A1. You don't want to take ALL the fun out of sniping, do you? I personally like it when playing overwatch while friends charge a city, although it has the slowest bolt cycling time.

I do have a couple problems with the Accuracy International:

-non-functional mil dots

-uses .50 BMG damage value

Apart from that though it's perfectly fine, I don't have a problem with long-range sniping or one-shot kills, I just have a problem with weapons I consider to be silly given the setting.

• Like 1

Chainsaws are incredibly loud and will:

B. Use valuable fuel

Indeed, they are, but I see no reason why it wouldn't have no place in here. Not everything is about uselfuness.

I do have a couple problems with the Accuracy International:

-non-functional mil dots

-uses .50 BMG damage value

Apart from that though it's perfectly fine, I don't have a problem with long-range sniping or one-shot kills, I just have a problem with weapons I consider to be silly given the setting.

Sure, sure... but the .338 LUPUA IS a pretty powerful round.

Meh, AS50's are overpowered in real life, you get hit in the foot with one and it's going to blow off a health portion of leg with it. The problem isn't the guns, it's that they have become far more common than they were intended to. Hopefully SA will put an end to that, the mod is already rarefying high level items although there will still be plenty in circulation squirrelled away.

• Like 1

Meh, AS50's are overpowered in real life, you get hit in the foot with one and it's going to blow off a health portion of leg with it. The problem isn't the guns, it's that they have become far more common than they were intended to. Hopefully SA will put an end to that, the mod is already rarefying high level items although there will still be plenty in circulation squirrelled away.

Guns and ammo in general are too common. And not (only) because of hackers, dupers and hoarders.

I currently have a tent with the following content: 1 CZ550, 2 DMR, 1 SVD, 1 M24, 25 DMR mags, 10 SVD mags, 10 CZ clips. All found in legit spawns in under 4 days, all on the same server (Public DayZ Hive).