stonewall1350

Skilled Vs Unskilled bandits

Choosing to make myself vulnerable out of some misplaced sense of e-honor has nothing to do with my ability to waste you.

If you can't handle dying, find another game.

But it takes SKILL to stalk targets, and think of a course of action that would work in that situation. Sitting on NWAF in the dark with NV requires next to no skill.

Well today I played some DayZ after reading this.

Commander tells me it's been 16 days since I last played, schedules are a bitch. Anyways I decided to specifically look for people to kill on sight, no questions, no comments, no looting, no point, just straight out murdering some fools. :lol:

My guy was was sick but I ran North from Zelenogorsk and didn't see anyone. Some people said they were in Stary over side channel so I headed there, hid in a tree on Pop Ivan and observed the town with my DMR scope.

No zombies, but almost immediately I notice a player lying down camping near a bush on the hill above town, boom, one-shot kill, 850 meters, I run away to change positions and a couple minutes later I start losing connection and get kicked off by BattlEye, "client not responding". <_<

So...

Does that count as a KoS noob kill? Or does simply being farther North make it "okay"?

Does that count as a KoS noob kill? Or does simply being farther North make it "okay"?

If I say no, do you promise not to bring up anymore ambiguous situations and provide as little information about the other player and ask if they are KoS noob kills? Seems to me one would know when one is doing a KoS noob kill and when is not... it's common sense. In my opinion, if you kill someone near a spawn point, that is a KoS noob kill, douchey and cheap... it's spawn camping which is frowned upon in pretty much every online FPS out there.

If I say no, do you promise not to bring up anymore ambiguous situations and provide as little information about the other player and ask if they are KoS noob kills? Seems to me one would know when one is doing a KoS noob kill and when is not... it's common sense. In my opinion, if you kill someone near a spawn point, that is a KoS noob kill, douchey and cheap... it's spawn camping which is frowned upon in pretty much every online FPS out there.

I was trying to make a point about killing on sight. I didn't try to talk to the guy, assess the situation or anything. I was purely looking for someone to kill. Boom, he lost everything he's worked for, much more than a coast spawn, and has no chance to defend himself. That's most certainly a "kill on sight", so what makes it okay in the eyes of most people? Or rather, what makes "certain" situations (like the "in the dark" kill the OP mentions) unacceptable?

Some people consider it low to shoot unarmed players on the coast, some people consider it low to shoot players from long range, and some people (apparently like the OP) consider it low to shoot anyone unless they start shooting at you first.

The OP was complaining about being shot at the NWAF - that's nowhere close to spawn camping. If you complain about being shot at the NWAF, you're gonna complain about being shot anywhere. It's widely known to be one of the most dangerous spots on the map.

What makes something a "noob" kill or not is what the OP's post was about. What makes something commonly thought of as a "noob" kill is ultimately decided by the community of players... and I hope the community don't all think like the OP.

Skilled Bandits: Kill you

Unskilled Bandits: Fail to kill you

If they kill you in any way shape or form (other than hacking), then they win.

I don't think it's a question of skill, just different playstyles.

The Skill is, what determines the preference of Playstyle. Someone who can own everyone, doesn't troll. Because he wants to show that he is not just a troll.

@Topic:

KoS is not bandit at all. KoS is a trait of a scared survivor. Bandits aren't scared.

A bandit should only attack a player to get his gear.

A great bandit, knows the right time and place to attack.

An awesome bandit also knows, that a player that just finished raiding has more loot, than a player that just started.

A ladybug never eats all of the aphids, so it doesn't deplete its foodsource. If you KoS, you are more stupid than a ladybug and should not consider yourself an honorable bandit.

In the end, everything in the game has to be seen in aspects of survival. Killing everyone you see will deplete your ressources as a bandit, so on the long run, you fail.

just my few beans.

Edit: "Killing" is not the goal of a bandit. Bandits aquire property by robbing. not stealing, not looting corpses. Robbing! Using threat of violence in a direct confrontation to get another players gear.

If your goal is to kill players, you are either an assassin, if you work contracts only, or a maniac on a killings-spree. The only Group that 's only goal it is to kill as many players as possible, are Zombies.

Edited by liquidmind

Excuse me that "unskilled" M14 DMR sniper was me, I was providing over watch for my friend who was looting the airfield.

If you weren't so unstealthy you would of saw my friend and our beefed up car but you got agro on yourself and I took the shot.

The Skill is, what determines the preference of Playstyle. Someone who can own everyone, doesn't troll. Because he wants to show that he is not just a troll.

@Topic:

KoS is not bandit at all. KoS is a trait of a scared survivor. Bandits aren't scared.

Not 100% true. While some bandits aren't scared, others are. Just because you have bandit skin doesn't mean that was your preferred playstyle. Someone could have defended himself against 2-3 players over the course of a night/life and get the skin.

A bandit should only attack a player to get his gear.

Says who? What rule in the game states this?

A great bandit, knows the right time and place to attack.

True. A great bandit knows that just because you see someone doesn't mean you should start blasting, or that you are even in a position to take a shot. A great bandit can assess the situation and determine if the person they see can taken out. What is that persons route? Getting closer or farther from the bandit? Is the person actively looting or just passing through? What kind of weapon are they holding? Backpack? Do they have friends or is he solo? All this information is going to determine whether the bandit should attack or keep observing.

An awesome bandit also knows, that a player that just finished raiding has more loot, than a player that just started.

Very true. Why should I expose myself to being shot or eaten by zombies by doing the loot when I can keep my survival higher by ambushing the person who just looted.

A ladybug never eats all of the aphids, so it doesn't deplete its foodsource. If you KoS, you are more stupid than a ladybug and should not consider yourself an honorable bandit.

So if I play the game for the PvP encounters and excitement from the many different situations you can find yourself in, and happen to shoot any and all people I come across (that aren't in my group) then I am stupid and dishonorable? If I play the game the way I want to and am not cheating/hacking, then how am I breaking any game rules? Why am I dishonorable because the way I play doesn't match up with the way you play?

In the end, everything in the game has to be seen in aspects of survival. Killing everyone you see will deplete your ressources as a bandit, so on the long run, you fail.

I fail because I seek out the pvp encounters? I try to survive 100% of the time, but I also don't run from the PvP encounters that I want in the game. That goes back to you play your way and i'll play my way. No way is wrong as long as you're not cheating/hacking. You trying to force your way of playing on the way I play is what is wrong.

Arbitrary rules do not make the game better. It limits the game.

just my few beans.

Edit: "Killing" is not the goal of a bandit. Bandits aquire property by robbing. not stealing, not looting corpses. Robbing! Using threat of violence in a direct confrontation to get another players gear.

But that is my goal as a bandit. I don't have to rob or hold people up to be a bandit. That just increases my risk to not surviving (since your logic is the game is to be played with survival in mind). Again, i'll play my way and you play your way. Stop telling people they have to play a certain way to be honorable.

If your goal is to kill players, you are either an assassin, if you work contracts only, or a maniac on a killings-spree. The only Group that 's only goal it is to kill as many players as possible, are Zombies.

My goal is the PvP encounters because of the excitement it brings to the game. Zombies don't do that for me. They are just part of the environment that I am trying to survive in.

• Like 1

One time I spawned in elektro and it was night time. I decided to go get a gun and some supplies in the city and then I came across him. He had an crossbow, a good backpack, and some good looking gear. He seemed nice so I left him alone in the church and ran to go get a weapon(I needed his stuff). All I found was a pistol with no mags. When I got back he was still in the church so I walked up behind him and put the gun to the back of his head and said "Drop your gear or ill blow your brains out" he nervously said ok and dropped everything he had. I then made him walk to the door and picked up his crossbow."why are you doing this dude?!" He asked. I reply "survival of the fittest". I then sent the only bolt right through his neck, killing him instantly. I looted up elektro and left.

I was trying to make a point about killing on sight. I didn't try to talk to the guy, assess the situation or anything. I was purely looking for someone to kill. Boom, he lost everything he's worked for, much more than a coast spawn, and has no chance to defend himself. That's most certainly a "kill on sight", so what makes it okay in the eyes of most people? Or rather, what makes "certain" situations (like the "in the dark" kill the OP mentions) unacceptable?

Some people consider it low to shoot unarmed players on the coast, some people consider it low to shoot players from long range, and some people (apparently like the OP) consider it low to shoot anyone unless they start shooting at you first.

The OP was complaining about being shot at the NWAF - that's nowhere close to spawn camping. If you complain about being shot at the NWAF, you're gonna complain about being shot anywhere. It's widely known to be one of the most dangerous spots on the map.

What makes something a "noob" kill or not is what the OP's post was about. What makes something commonly thought of as a "noob" kill is ultimately decided by the community of players... and I hope the community don't all think like the OP.

The OP didn't even mention "noob" kill vs. non-"noob" kill... he talked about unskilled vs. skilled bandits. I certainly agree that you shouldn't complain about being shot at the NW or NEAF's in the situation he described. But, shooting fresh spawns near spawn points is frowned upon in virtually every online FPS game out there. That doesn't change here, why should it?

Apart from that situation - as much as I, personally, don't like the KoS mentality, it's part of the game; it will never go away; and players should learn to play smarter and adapt to it.

Coincidentally, I just got done watching

and he owns pretty much everyone he comes across. His take on KoS banditing: it's too easy... it takes less skill. And, it's not like he's an unskilled player.

The Main purpose of DayZ is to obtain loot. By robbing someone you are starting the back at square one just the same as killing them would do. The only reason people fear death in DayZ is because they lose their gear.

So the reasons I see against robbing someone is simply put: why should they comply? If they shoot back they at least have a chance to keep their gear and furthermore if you haven't shot them they can just log out as they aren't in combat.

I don't kill newbies unless they pose a threat, or maybe they have something I want ;) and I don't shoot wildly whenever I see someone, I stalk them and wait for the perfect time.

I'll admit that robbing people takes skill, but it also requires the person you're robbing to be unskilled and not realize they'll be in the same position whether they're robbed or die.

Why do I kill? Because the dead are easier to loot.

Well I don't know about the rest of you, and this may just be because I don't really care if I lose my gear or I'm just crazy, but when a bandit successfully "holds me up" I don't log out or make a reckless move on them, I'm curious to see where they go with it. If they do end up killing me or leaving me for dead, I just respawn and move on as I would have anyways, but you can come out of it with more gear, a new friend, or at least a good story to tell.

There was one instance on Lingor Island where I was just coming out of a military compound, and a guy on the nearby hill shot my leg and I was left laying there in the middle of the road. I see over side someone instructing me I have 10 seconds to bandage and drop all my weapons including hatchet on the road and roll away from them. I see someone walking down the hill clearing the zeds coming after me. He gives me morphine and blood and checks my bag for supplies. After stuffing the M24 I found in his bag, he tells me to walk down the road in front of him and not do anything stupid. We come up to a higher value military compound. After he clears the zeds he tells me he has a buddy overwatching the area on the hill across the river, and I can see a figure Q-E'ing across the way. He then puts a hatche in my bag and tells me I'm going to loot cycle for him, where to stand, what to do, and what to look for. He then leaves me to transport some gear or something, maybe get another hostage.

About 20-30 minutes later, and a couple kills added to his sniper buddy's belt, he comes back with a vehicle. He has me holster the hatchet, checks my bag for any guns, then has me help load up the vehicle with the guns he wanted. Once that is done, he has me get in the back. We pick up his friend on the hill, then drive off. We come up to a secluded area and I fear this is the end. However, he was actually taking me to a hidden blue GAZ. They tell me to get out of the car and stand in between the two vehicles while one checked the gear and the other my bag. One I hear the all clear, they tell me the GAZ is mine and has an AK Kobra and a DMR in it, along with some other basic supplies. They then drive off and I didn't see them again, at least as far as I know.

Sure I could've made a move on him when I still had the M24, but I had never fired one at that point, didn't know where he was, was bleeding and couldn't move, I knew I would die if I tried, so why not see where things go. Even if they did end up bring me to a ditch to put me down in, I still wouldn't have regretted staying.

Well I don't know about the rest of you, and this may just be because I don't really care if I lose my gear or I'm just crazy, but when a bandit successfully "holds me up" I don't log out or make a reckless move on them, I'm curious to see where they go with it. If they do end up killing me or leaving me for dead, I just respawn and move on as I would have anyways, but you can come out of it with more gear, a new friend, or at least a good story to tell.

I respect that and I definitely think robbing people is much more interesting than just shooting them, and if all people could be like that I would find myself robbing a lot more.

The difference is that being the one doing the robbery and not the one being robbed, I can't force them to not log or not make a run for it or just ignore me and shoot, so I kill because I see it as much more of a guarantee. Maybe as the thrill of the kill dies down I'll start looking for new ways to get that rush and terrorize my prey, but until then it's the KoS life for me.