willey.erd@oundleschool.org.uk

DayZ Alpha won't launch until launched !

Dayz is a very successful thing for them got them at least 30 million dollars which is quite alot it would be foolish to not do anything this spectacular again and Dayz probably advertised the arma games aswell.

Very true, they will make alot of money on this, but if the main concern was money, we would have the alpha in our hands now (think WarZ and Hammerpoint Interactive -_-)

• Like 3

Very true, they will make alot of money on this, but if the main concern was money, we would have the alpha in our hands now (think WarZ and Hammerpoint Interactive -_-)

they aren't greedy yay we can get a good game yay.

• Like 2

they aren't greedy yay we can get a good game yay.

What a wonderful way to put it :D Have some beans heh.

• Like 2

What a wonderful way to put it :D Have some beans heh.

:) Another way to put it BI is the best company to give out good quality games not cash grabs.

• Like 1

I think they got the expectations to high when rooting for a x-mas 2012 release of the alpha.

I'm not dissapointed about the game being released no earlier then June, i'll wait however long it will take,

but i'm a bit bummed about the fact they said they tried for a 2012 release, when that date was a bit unrealistic,

given the current release date.

Dayz is a very successful thing for them got them at least 30 million dollars which is quite alot it would be foolish to not do anything this spectacular again and Dayz probably advertised the arma games aswell.

A Call of Duty game costs about $100 million USD to make, so comparitively, DayZ/Arma are very, very small markets making tiny amounts of money.

That's a good thing though, because BI are all about making niche games that their small fan-base love the shit out of, instead of making annual dumbed-down mainstream garbage.

A Call of Duty game costs about $100 million USD to make, so comparitively, DayZ/Arma are very, very small markets making tiny amounts of money.

That's a good thing though, because BI are all about making niche games that their small fan-base love the shit out of, instead of making annual dumbed-down mainstream garbage.

Not to mention they support them much better. they make it for the love of the game, not for the love of the dollar sign. DayZ is no different, while the game could be released now the team doesnt want to have a false sense of in-completion within the fan base, either way you will all bitch (pardon my French).

Look at EA, lots of money in, lots of poor/unfinished games with false features claimed to be in game (Sim city 2013) out. Who would have thought that less than a month from release this game would be 39.99 at Best Buy and they already gave out a free game to those who were unlucky enough to fall into their trap. while yes this game (DayZ) is revolutionary, and yes it could be the next big thing, we have lived without it before. I never understood why people always line up for the next great iPhone every 6 months, after reading this forum I realized people in general want everything right away and now. I am a young adult and was raised with the motto of good things come to those who wait. I can wait, I have a lot of posts in the 'Yard to catch up on! (thanks Inception).

-Steam

• Like 2

Holy shit dude, you just went full retard.

yeah hope I see there you sometime

What june? Is he suffering from a lack of Oxygen? Oh not yet?

No worries, it will come when it comes! I dont care really, I am building a beast of burden to run DayZ

yeah hope I see there you sometime

You won't.

• Like 1

@gummy

Your "point" is nothing but an opinion, which you're entitled to hold.

My "point" is that deceit is immoral. Wrongfully labeling an unfinished product an "Alpha" for profit is immoral. By labeling a commercial product "Alpha" they are by definition deceiving you. That much is not subjective. Deceiving has become a hallmark of this team and it started with Dean Hall misrepresenting himself as a mere modder in the ArmA community. I suppose whether or not deceit is immoral "can" be up to opinion.

Edited by gummy52

I want SA to be released as much as the next guy but I'd rather them take their time and make sure the game is ready and playable than them rush it and have a glitched and buggy game.

Of course people are going to bitch and complain because the game is taking so long to release. But fuck it. Rocket could wait until the end of the year to release it for all I care. I just want the game to feature as much stuff as it can, and be as playable as possible.

You said everything I wanted to say mate. I just want this game to be as good as it can be.

My "point" is that deceit is immoral. Wrongfully labeling an unfinished product an "Alpha" for profit is immoral. By labeling a commercial product "Alpha" they are by definition deceiving you. That much is not subjective. Deceiving has become a hallmark of this team and it started with Dean Hall misrepresenting himself as a mere modder in the ArmA community. I suppose whether or not deceit is immoral "can" be up to opinion.

What the fuck are you on about?

Labelling an unfinished product as an "alpha" is exactly what should be done. That's what "alpha" means!

Failing to properly label it as an alpha is what the "The War Z" people did, which caused outrage. Selling access to a game from the alpha stage onwards is popularly known as "the minecraft model", and it's quite common for non-AAA games now. As long as the customer knows they're buying a work-in-progress, what is immoral about it?

As for rocket misrepresenting himself, WTF? He's always had a public link to his LinkedIn page, that shows that he's a BI employee (http://www.linkedin....en_US&trk=tyah2).

When DayZ became popular (which was an independent, non-BI related, crappy little hobby mod of his, outside of work), he publicly stated at the time that BI pulled him off A3 and started paying him to work on DayZ full time, at which point it became a real BI project. That's all public knowledge.

Edited by ActionMan
  • Like 7

Hello there

*brace for impact*

There was never any official release time. Folk assumed it would be before his Everest jaunt. It did seem appropriate back then.

It's no surprise that it will be released later on, but I expect a great storm of complaints, toys being thrown out of prams, accusations of lies and a Illuminati conspiracy and a general wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I'm strapped in and my shields are up.

Rgds

LoK

Maybe he shouldn't suggest release dates when he doesn't even release it close to that date. He's not just doing this for fun is he? It has become his job. It's a product just like any other, except this one has possibly a couple million people who anticipated that it would get released, again, due to him suggesting a release date.

People need to accept the fact that the traditional definitions of "alpha" and "beta" in regards to software development just aren't relevant in this day and age.

The old accepted standard for an alpha was; internal only, broken code everywhere, cramming in every idea they could think of, you would be very lucky to even be able to see a screenshot of alpha content, let alone video footage, let alone PLAY it. Beta was feature lock, code polishing time, late beta was popular to open up to the public to find the bugs the paid testers couldn't find. Public beta to release was usually only a few months at the most.

That was flipping years ago, times have changed. With Minecraft, everyone realised that it was possible (and interactive and fun) to 'crowdsource' game development testing. Notch was the one to decide that, because he was releasing to the public, it wasn't fair to leave his dirty code all over the place, and kept it as clean as possible. In fact Minecraft released to the public during development so early that it wasn't even a game, it was just an engine where you could place blocks.

Hardly anyone likes continuing to use 'alpha' and 'beta' in these new development models, but its just the way it is and it's up to you to keep with the times and understand that the meaning of words can change.

EDIT: As for release dates, it boggles my mind. To think that if ANY time frame is "suggested" or alluded to, he's been very careful with the wording to point out that it is NEVER solid and anything could happen between here and then. Because, thats life! Shit Happens™.

Edited by Kra
  • Like 4

I haven't heard rocket saying any release date after that December. Where are you people digging this up again?

I haven't heard rocket saying any release date after that December. Where are you people digging this up again?

December was the only release date ever mentioned and that was way back before they changed their whole game-plan. All of the other dates mentioned are just people quoting the speculation of other people and then being butthurt when that speculation turns out to be rubbish.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

December was the only release date ever mentioned and that was way back before they changed their whole game-plan. All of the other dates mentioned are just people quoting the speculation of other people and then being butthurt when that speculation turns out to be rubbish.

I kind of get that but not really.

I want SA to be in the best possible condition to be released into Alpha when it's ready. We all can wait for a better game rather than bitch about it taking too long... Rushed products = more reasons to be pissed off than a product that takes time to get it right.

• Like 2

I wish I had it in me to beat down the keys of my keyboard and thrash about complaining and whining endlessly like some people here can, because it really does help and further contribute to the big picture...

But I can't.

Just happy that somethings being made at all, and behind the curtains are people working very hard on this project for little/no beans. :beans:

Happy-fucking-chappy :)

Anyone else just wishing for the Alpha to come out now? I know it's not even close to a polished state, but I just feel like playing around with the current DayZ engine for some reason, and see what the community can suggest from there. Or maybe it's because I want more information, and despite how much we've been shown, my greed tolerance hasn't been completely fulfilled?

Hope June comes around sooner, or at least the time of possible community access.

And we all know what happened in December dont we. For those that dont Rocket went into hiding, was sad actually, no reasons given, just hide .

I like any would love to play the Alpha now, but can easily wait until Bohemia say it's ready, Rocket answers to a Boss and a company, he wont be telling anyone when release will be The Boss will tell Rocket. That said BI from an outsider seem to be a fantastic company, what company is still doing updates for their Game 4 years down the track.

Be patient guys, we're going to be having the time of our gaming Lives when this fucker is released

People need to accept the fact that the traditional definitions of "alpha" and "beta" in regards to software development just aren't relevant in this day and age.

The old accepted standard for an alpha was; internal only, broken code everywhere, cramming in every idea they could think of, you would be very lucky to even be able to see a screenshot of alpha content, let alone video footage, let alone PLAY it. Beta was feature lock, code polishing time, late beta was popular to open up to the public to find the bugs the paid testers couldn't find. Public beta to release was usually only a few months at the most.

That was flipping years ago, times have changed. With Minecraft, everyone realised that it was possible (and interactive and fun) to 'crowdsource' game development testing. Notch was the one to decide that, because he was releasing to the public, it wasn't fair to leave his dirty code all over the place, and kept it as clean as possible. In fact Minecraft released to the public during development so early that it wasn't even a game, it was just an engine where you could place blocks.

Hardly anyone likes continuing to use 'alpha' and 'beta' in these new development models, but its just the way it is and it's up to you to keep with the times and understand that the meaning of words can change.

EDIT: As for release dates, it boggles my mind. To think that if ANY time frame is "suggested" or alluded to, he's been very careful with the wording to point out that it is NEVER solid and anything could happen between here and then. Because, thats life! Shit Happens™.

Bla bla bla.

Alpha and Beta and Final is still the same as it was 10 years ago.... You are talking abuot the very foundation of software development here.

The release model changed yes, but the definition of Alha and Beta did not.

Alpha:

The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black box or gray box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.[2]

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. External availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software. However, open source software, in particular, often have publicly available alpha versions, often distributed as the raw source code of the software. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete.

Beta:

Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview(TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

Release Candidate:

A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug. A release is called code complete when the development team agrees that no entirely new source code will be added to this release. There could still be source code changes to fix defects, changes to documentation and data files, and peripheral code for test cases or utilities. Beta testers, if privately selected, will often be credited for using the release candidate as though it were a finished product. Beta testing is conducted in a client's or customer's location and to test the software from a user's perspective.

Source: https://en.wikipedia...ease_life_cycle

So basicly what you are saying is that "the old alpha and beta definition is invalid", but thats far from the case. They do indeed still apply and companies try theyre best to stick by them.

The only reason people complain about this now is because 10 years ago, companies didnt do much open testing, they do now. But the rules of the game is the same, you are just part of it now.

Ohh and btw, back in the older minecraft versions, there were tons of bugs and crappy code in the game, i would know i hosted servers back then, and Notch didnt clean anything untill the Beta. The open Alpha was unstabile, it crashed alot and had alot of gameplay bugs.

Sound familiar? :D

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 2

Bla bla bla.

Alpha and Beta and Final is still the same as it was 10 years ago.... You are talking abuot the very foundation of software development here.

The release model changed yes, but the definition of Alha and Beta did not.

Alpha:

Beta:

Release Candidate:

Source: https://en.wikipedia...ease_life_cycle

So basicly what you are saying is that "the old alpha and beta definition is invalid", but thats far from the case. They do indeed still apply and companies try theyre best to stick by them.

The only reason people complain about this now is because 10 years ago, companies didnt do much open testing, they do now. But the rules of the game is the same, you are just part of it now.

Ohh and btw, back in the older minecraft versions, there were tons of bugs and crappy code in the game, i would know i hosted servers back then, and Notch didnt clean anything untill the Beta. The open Alpha was unstabile, it crashed alot and had alot of gameplay bugs.

Sound familiar? :D

Holy hell.. You constructed a novel... smh

Holy hell.. You constructed a novel... smh

Try my best XD

But seriously, people nowadays are uninformed demanding small children, with no sense of reality but still "all-knowing" somehow, because theyre entire life revolves around the phrases "fast" and "instant". Everything has to be created now, or even better yesterday, and it has to work out of the box with no bugs, and it has to do everything at the same time AND they want acces to it now.

Nobody have the patience to wait for a good product anymore, and as soon as people use money on something we feel "obligated" to "enlighten" all others who bought the same product and the devs of the product.

Patience is a long gone virtue in this globalised world we live in and people, in general, doesnt even bother to read up on things to get backgrond knowledge, they just assume they are right.

Theres countless threads on this forum, showing prime examples of the impatient humanity and what we have degenerated to. :)

Its the same world as always, but the "information age" have given everybody an easy way to vent frustrations without any kind of resposibility attached, (internet) so people will ofc do this without any thoughts.

This is all general talk, not pointing at anypone specific, merely the entire human race as a whole.

And i will gladly admit i was like this a couple of years back. Im not proud i was like that, but i did something about it.

Ok, rant is done, back to topic XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its gonna be nice to get hand os SA heh, but i dont mind waiting a long time for something awsome.

A rushed game, in this genre,was already released and we all know how that went (WarZ) :D

• Like 2