Sign in to follow this  
sobrix

add money to the game

I'm taking an economy class in school and from what I've learned and understand, I would like to use the information to add on to what others have stated.

Paper money is only valuable when it is backed by something that is valuable such as gold, silver, or some other precious ore/mineral. In a zombie apocalypse, that paper money will become useless because it will no longer be backed by a precious substance. With a government collapse, who knows what would happen to that precious ore/mineral that is backing the paper money. Pure gold or silver coins could still be of value but not everyone is going to care or want gold and silver in an apocalypse. People are going to want things like bread, beans, bullets, guns, clothes, etc. Things that will keep them alive. Those items now have the "backup" of keeping them or others alive. That is what is going to make them valuable.

I will have to disagree with almost everyone here. :) I would LOVE to see money in DayZ just for the sake of messing with players preconception with how a game works. No doubt many players will start collecting money and perhaps even use it in trades in the beginning before realizing it is absolutely worthless. Still, I think some players will have trouble not collecting money since it is so programmed in our brains to do so in games and real life! So just add the item money, but don't have any mechanics supporting it.

• Like 2

I kinda like the Madmax apocalyptic scenario where everyone fought over food, fuel and weapons. They became basically the main currency, especially fuel.

So am hoping fuel isnt abundant in standalone like it is in Dayzmod.

Maybe have a fuel station up north, and can fill up a tanker truck from it and then fill up individual petrol pumps (that run out) from that tanker.

Yes it may take some effort of a few people to accomplish this but would be more fun than just abundant fuel everywhere.

I'm taking an economy class in school and from what I've learned and understand, I would like to use the information to add on to what others have stated.

Paper money is only valuable when it is backed by something that is valuable such as gold, silver, or some other precious ore/mineral. In a zombie apocalypse, that paper money will become useless because it will no longer be backed by a precious substance. With a government collapse, who knows what would happen to that precious ore/mineral that is backing the paper money. Pure gold or silver coins could still be of value but not everyone is going to care or want gold and silver in an apocalypse. People are going to want things like bread, beans, bullets, guns, clothes, etc. Things that will keep them alive. Those items now have the "backup" of keeping them or others alive. That is what is going to make them valuable.

Correct

“When the last tree is cut and the last fish killed, the last river poisoned, then you will see that you can't eat money.”

I guess so, however what about gold? Gold is usable.

I don't see why we wouldn't add it as long as it's treated just like another object. It would just be something completely useless.

Nah, dayz is just nice like this, using beans, or weapons as currency, even bullets or medical stuff, just like good ole times.

*snip*
That theory only applies in a balanced, measurable economy.

Notes and coins may be of absolutely no use in an apocalypse, but it only takes ONE person willing to trade for money, and it instantly has value.

Any economy is going to be bsed on the wants and neeeds of the people.

No object is worth anything unless somebody wants it.

If a currency were to exist in-game simply as items, without any mechanics enforcing "value" or "economy", that's fine.

There's no reason to deny the option. (unless you believe zeds ate all the money in the country)

When trade posts or groups spring up, they might use "old-money" as currency. There's really no reason not to.

They would still be using a barter system, they've simply chosen an easily recognised unit to measure trades against.

Objects are worth the value placed on them. No more, no less.

• Like 4

never played metro or fallout? money is a big part of the game...

Yes, I have played Fallout 3. The difference is that in Fallout 3, the apocalypse happened long time ago already and simple market places have been established already. Like towns were build and (sorry, for not knowing the English word), the tops of bottles were accepted as a trade item that displays a value such as currency. In DayZ however, the world we are thrown in is simply in chaos with no rules at all.

Gold only keeps value because of the belief that if all currencies are down, with gold, you can get a value for any new currency that is established. Gold would be worth sth after the Zombieapocalypse has been solved and a new economy established. In DayZ as of now, gold would only get a value if you had NPC trademarkets that allow you to exchange gold into guns/bullets/food/other items. Why on earth would a player take 1 ton of gold instead of 1 can of beans? It only fills slots in your car that you can't use for more valuable gear.

PS: After-DayZ as the next project? Establish a working world again? haha

Take into consideration why people value gold in the first place. It's rare and it's non-renewable.

Still, if nobody else wants it, it's effectively worthless.

Without banks and governments a promisary note is not backed, but that's not relevant.

All trade depends on the perception of value.

An item which effectively has no value cannot be devalued. There is no stock-market in the apocalypse.

Currency is simply a unit to measure by, no matter what it represented before the zeds ate everyone.

EDIT:

Why do you think money was invented in the first place?

If you have bullets, and need to trade for some beans, what happens if nobody wants to make that exact trade?

You starve.

With a mutually valued unit it's much easier.

Edited by Chabowski

...if they do implement money, I hope it has no value other than starting a fire. Economics 101: No government or financial institution to back the note, it's not worth a damn thing. Apocolypse, government has fallen. No one is taking Russian Rupies anymore, because the Russian Government isn't around to say it can back it's currency with export, precious metals, energy, oil, etc.

Yes, exactly what i mean too. No traders or anything, just money.

i mean, if you kill someone, would you leave the money on the ground? even if you knew the world banks have gone to hell and the shops are ran by zeds?

Toilet paper is already in the game so why not money?

Could make it trash loot for all i care, just have a counter on it and doesnt take up main inventory.,

Could make it trash loot for all i care, just have a counter on it and doesnt take up main inventory.,

I request an option when right clicking my money to "make it rain".

• Like 1

Why not just add some useless items which the players are free to do as they choose with. If they want to trade using it, there is nothing stopping them. Just make sure it doesn't grow on trees AKA easy to aquire.