CaptGentry

I've been wondering.... Why Chernarus?

Of all the places on the planet to be overun with zombies. Why did they pick an unknown area like Chernarus?

To be honest I kind of like it. WarZ tried a popular area like Colorado and it makes me feel like the atmosphere is ruined. Sure id love to engage zombies and bandits in a city, but some of the long range mountain to mountain battles that occur in endless miles of forest really do make an impression on me.

• Like 1

Of all the places on the planet to be overun with zombies. Why did they pick an unknown area like Chernarus?

if it was in usa zombies will be boomers

chernarus, ppl lived with eating organic food, taking egg from chickens ass every morning and putting it in tommy, milking the cow and stuff like that so when they became zombies, they break your bones with single slap ya digg?

It's the largest map in arma

sorry to ruin the immersion

• Like 4

Wait... Chernarus isn't on the planet and it's 'unknown' because it's not a real place, it's fictional...

Arma was set in this made-up eastern European war-torn country (based on a part of Hungary), and DayZ is a mod for Arma. If Arma had have been set in Guatemala or Germany or New Zealand, then DayZ most likely would have been as well.

• Like 1

Clearly, a brain fart with fingers.

DayZ is a mod for Arma. If Arma had have been set in Guatemala or Germany or New Zealand, then DayZ most likely would have been as well.

Mystery solved!

Because it was the Arma map that best suited DayZ's gameplay.

Wait... Chernarus isn't on the planet and it's 'unknown' because it's not a real place, it's fictional...

Arma was set in this made-up eastern European war-torn country (based on a part of Hungary), and DayZ is a mod for Arma. If Arma had have been set in Guatemala or Germany or New Zealand, then DayZ most likely would have been as well.

The problem is... Chernarus is a real place....

http://imgur.com/a/qEkrm

http://img.gawkerass...pg/original.jpg

Edited by DirtyCry
  • Like 4

Because DayZ was a mod based on Arma2 and Arma2 had only Chernarus somewhat suitable for this all. Takistan was to asian and too specific and... well, empty I think for this all. Just sand, dust and hills without vegetation. Now in the Standalone Chernarus is still a godsend, because it's not any good to develop a new map from scratch and delay the release. Chernarus will do it's job and is now very well refreshed with new locations and other stuff and will be enough until DayZ dev team is confident enough and has time and money to develop a unique and very natural map for specific DayZ needs.

• Like 1

an apocalyptic soviet land with mountains and forests - What is there not to like about that?

• Like 2

The problem is... Chernarus is a real place....

No, it was modelled from one of the Regions of Czech Republic. It was very severely scaled down, but main roads, settlements locations and terrain heights are taken from real prototype.

No, it was modelled from one of the Regions of Czech Republic. It was very severely scaled down, but main roads, settlements locations and terrain heights are taken from real prototype.

So yes its a real place.....

What the shit....

I'm too lazy but imagin a *mind blown* gif right here.

I like Chernarus because it looks very similar to the region where I live...vegetation, barns, some buildings...street signs...gives me more reality to the game.

• Like 1

I don't know if there's a backstory or not, but how do we know that there isn't a generalised zombie outbreak all across Europe? The fact of Chernarus being out-of-the-way might explain why the zombies are so widespread; the military is too busy dealing with outbreaks in more strategically important locations to be everywhere at once.

I mean, if there was a zombie outbreak across the UK, the army would move to secure London, the port cities, the motorways, and would probably ignore Scotland (the Scots can look after themselves) and Wales (zombies have trouble climbing hills). Six weeks post-outbreak Wales would still have zombie zones and, in real life, brave and/or foolhardy looters would descend on the area to strip the place of valuables. Which brings us to DayZ.

The hard part would be to launder the goods afterwards. Literally launder it if the infection is airborne.