Sign in to follow this  
Shrapnell

Pistols are incredibly underpowered

Was on the outskirts of Cherno, guy shot at me with an M9. I turned around and returned fire with my M9.

We both hit eachother, but we both ran out of ammo before we could even land a kill.

Why didn't one of us die?

http://youtu.be/e9kW9sJ_fLg

Edited by Shrapnell

I had a shootout with a guy using an M1014. I killed him with an M9, shooting an entire mag in his chest. He died pretty easily.

And just to mention, the guy was too slow, he fired at me once and missed.

Edited by Sutinen

well it depends on where you get shot. If im not mistaken the vest you wear in game can stop or slow down 9mm bullets. I know for a fact that in arma 2 the vests actually protect against pistol damage fairly well. However I have come across situations where Ive seen players get shot in the face and live. They were probably hacking tho.

Also! just a note. a players gun can actually block bullets. Like if someone shoots you and your gun is in the way, The gun takes the blow.

Damage is 889 blood, and your max and default blood is 12k. This means 14 hits in the chest to kill (not counting loss of blood or going unconscious, assuming that your enemy is in full health).

It indeed is a bit ridiculous.

Edited by THE_BURNDOWN

it just seems to me that the snipers are by far the best weapons in the game, they are by a mile the best at long range, and even at short range are more effective than a shotgun. they just render all other weapons completely obsolete. not to mention the utter ridiculousness that is the AS50. really hoping its not in the standalone.

I'll upload a video of our shootout. Its hilarious. We both run out of ammo and just go 'ohshit' and run in the opposite direction.

• Like 2

it just seems to me that the snipers are by far the best weapons in the game, they are by a mile the best at long range, and even at short range are more effective than a shotgun. they just render all other weapons completely obsolete. not to mention the utter ridiculousness that is the AS50. really hoping its not in the standalone.

It's not necessarily always about what gun is better. It's about what PLAYER is better.

I'll upload a video of our shootout. Its hilarious. We both run out of ammo and just go 'ohshit' and run in the opposite direction.

I've had that happen.. always makes me chuckle.

It's not necessarily always about what gun is better. It's about what PLAYER is better.

Agreed.

You know how to beat snipers without a sniper? Don't fight them at long range! Run around them in cover when you are aware of a sniper, but otherwise stay in cover while moving to avoid that situation in the first place. And then get a sniper rifle. I usually get sniper rifles by killing snipers at close range with shit like ak74s.

There's a reason why every powerful military in the world issues scopes with their main battle rifle to every soldier. They're better. CCO mod weapons are for urban combat, and are not going to be as good as scoped weapons at long ranges in hilly forest/pastureland. At 50 - 100 yards the CCO will be the better weapon because its just a faster acquisition. After that....there's a reason we invented scopes.

My usual kit in this game is sniper rifle - cco rifle - m9sd. Feel free to use....

Edited by Smith Comma John

I believe the situation is like this. (This has been said before, everyone knows and agrees that the gun damages are grossly unbalanced)

In Arma 2 players have 6000 health, for DayZ it was doubled for gameplay reasons. And all the damage values of the weapons are built around Arma 2. Lower caliber weapons have lower values because in Arma 2 by default every target is wearing a bullet proof vest. So for dayz health is doubled to prevent assault rifles from killing you with 2 shots, and higher caliber rifles from being one shot kills. This unfortunately made some of the lower end weapons very inefficient. The fix for this would be to change the damage values of the weapons. But since that hasn't been done yet it's reasonable to assume that it's either impossible to do or at least extremely difficult.

So in short, weapon damage will probably be much more uniformed in the standalone.

Edited by Jonsse

Pistols are horrbly underpowered. They were nerfed in Arma 2 at somepoint last year and that carried over to the mod.

The real question is why couldn't either of you get a headshot with a 15 round clip? Being the one to take the extra one hundred milliseconds to lock on to an enemies head has saved my life on countless occasions. It never ceases to amuse when somebody totally outsmarts me and evades my notice only to pop out and rapid-fire a whole clip at my chest while I casually turn around and squeeze the trigger on my revolver or G17 (great sights on those bad boys) killing them with one cold unadultereated headshot.

Pistols are horrbly underpowered. They were nerfed in Arma 2 at somepoint last year and that carried over to the mod.

I wouldn't call it a nerf - before that, a Makarov did much more damage than an M9 (2000 compared to 1389) and a 1911 did 4500 damage, over 3 times as much as a 9mm and more than even a 5.45x39mm!

They made a sensible change to the damages. Now a Makarov does the same as a 9mm, and a .45 round does only 1.5 times as much damage. That's not a nerf, that's product improvement.

I have the solution to this...some of the americans on the forum...preferably young and naive...should test fire a makarov on them self...see how many bullets it really takes to badly injure someone with a gun like that...unless all the americans here have been shot at before...in that case some of the polacks in the subforums should do it, they generally dont last the winter anyways

Edited by svisketyggeren

I've always found pistols quite good in a pinch against players.

Bare in mind that it's 12000 to kill but can be a significant amount less to severely injure or cripple them - bleeding also plays a part.

I just murdered 5 people with a Revolver (some ezmode pvp server) and got killed couple times. Aim for the head

If I m not wrong ( using dayz wiki ) not talking about AS50 or M107 , all snipers do 8000 damage o.O to kill zombie all get 4 pistol bullets ( not head shot ) 9mm or .45 ,

If enjoy some type of hardmode for DayZ, where if you are hit once in the chest with a .45 ACP round from a 1911, its safe to say with near certainty your going to die. I hate how players can take like 3 AK rounds before even pass out. If you got shot in the arm or leg thatd be different.

I've shot a M1911 before. It's loud, it's heavy, and makes a big hole. And I agree that pistols should get a buff. I miss how the M1911/Revolvers were a one hit kill on zombies, and now pretty much every pistol but the revolver and 1911 are more akin in damage to a squirt gun. Just sayin'

• Like 1

Head head head. You shoot zombies in the HEAD and you shoot players in the HEAD. Easy enough.

Problem number one, You didn't aim for the head.

nope thats about it. When it comes to the Dayz Mod I don't suggest using pistols in PVP unless its absolutely needed. I've scored a few Kills with my PDW and a G17 but they went down in two to five hits because I got them with either a DMR first or a headshot.

Looks to me like half your shots missed the guy, you can head shot with a makarov and a G17 is bloody deadly on Taviana. Try popping off a couple rounds then re aim rather than emptying your clip so quickly. :)