BulletPROZ

Run slower without shoes on.

Then why is it when i run in RL without shoes i run alot faster?

You SIR are once again.. full of poo ! ..I've played sports, (running and ball) all my life and unless you are on very soft ground you definitely need footwear !

Running barefoot could;

1) Slightly decrease running speed when unburdened, and noticeably decrease speed when carrying a significant amount of weight.

2) Footsteps would be much quieter, particularly on concrete and metal.

3) While running there could be a randomized "stumbling" animation and your character would yelp in pain simultaneously. You wouldn't notice anything beyond that, other than the occasional groan of pain from your survivor. If untreated (ie, basic disinfecting and bandaging of cut), your character would become infected and require antibiotics. Over time, if simply ignored, this would be debilitating or even fatal. The chances of being cut and the chances of being infected by the cut would be significantly increased in urban environments. So for your woodland warrior, running barefoot could be an option-- but if you're robbed of your boots in Chernogorsk you should feel the despair of your situation. Shards of glass and other such debris would litter the streets, and you could easily cut yourself on something you can barely even see.

4) Let's not forget cold feet.

Edited by Very Ape

Running barefoot could;

1) Slightly decrease running speed when unburdened, and noticeably decrease speed when carrying a significant amount of weight.

2) Footsteps would be much quieter, particularly on concrete and metal.

3) While running there could be a randomized "stumbling" animation and your character would yelp in pain simultaneously. You wouldn't notice anything beyond that, other than the occasional groan of pain from your survivor. If untreated (ie, basic disinfecting and bandaging of cut), your character would become infected and require antibiotics. Over time, if simply ignored, this would be debilitating or even fatal. The chances of being cut and the chances of being infected by the cut would be significantly increased in urban environments. So for your woodland warrior, running barefoot could be an option-- but if you're robbed of your boots in Chernogorsk you should feel the despair of your situation. Shards of glass and other such debris would litter the streets, and you could easily cut yourself on something you can barely even see.

4) Let's not forget cold feet.

I've heard the random stumbling suggestion before, and I don't think applying randomness to injuring yourself makes much sense. I'd rather have small objects on the ground, like small sharp sticks/rocks in the woods or pieces of glass in cities, that would always cause lacerations, and small amounts of bleeding when ran over barefoot ( random chance of infection if left untreated is fine by me). That way players could at least exercise caution, and watch their step.

Imagine yourself walking/running barefoot on a perfectly smooth field of grass that had nothing that could break your skin, and because of the randomness method you suddenly get injured for no apparent reason. Seems a bit silly to me. Cause and effect is the way to go, whenever it's possible.

Edited by TheSodesa

You SIR are once again.. full of poo ! ..I've played sports, (running and ball) all my life and unless you are on very soft ground you definitely need footwear !

I was just reading George MacDonald Fraser's autobiography about his time in a Scottish Regiment, where there is a long tradition of kicking off one's shoes and closing in faster to engage the enemy with Claymores. Could be their shoes were just rubbish to begin with, though.

http://www.americasp...foot-walking-2/

All the shoe arguments are now invalid :P

Well you could always take any extreme example or a way to live or whatever they call it, but those will never be mainstream ;)

I hope one day someone will invent wireless bungee jumping...

Edited by Enforcer

I hope one day someone will invent wireless bungee jumping...

Have! It's called suicide :P

I've heard the random stumbling suggestion before, and I don't think applying randomness to injuring yourself makes much sense. I'd rather have small objects on the ground, like small sharp sticks/rocks in the woods or pieces of glass in cities, that would always cause lacerations, and small amounts of bleeding when ran over barefoot ( random chance of infection if left untreated is fine by me). That way players could at least exercise caution, and watch their step.

Imagine yourself walking/running barefoot on a perfectly smooth field of grass that had nothing that could break your skin, and because of the randomness method you suddenly get injured for no apparent reason. Seems a bit silly to me. Cause and effect is the way to go, whenever it's possible.

Could be only applied in the woods. But as I said, cutting yourself would mostly occur in urban environments. But, to be fair, sometimes there are sharp rocks and other hazardous things hiding in the grass. :P

The idea of having visible hazards did cross my mind, but usually when games implement this they're pretty obvious. It really would detract from the despair of that situation-- wouldn't a post-apocalyptic city be completely littered in sharp rocks, glass, etc? Having random piles of glass here and there are usually very obvious, and easily avoidable. In reality, many people would cut themselves despite their best efforts not to. But hey, if they made the glass shards very subtle and not all in the same generic pile, that'd be great!

Edited by Very Ape

So everyone else has bitch feet? :)

texas has rednecks not hillbillies

GET IT RIGHT

same thing.

i like all these ideas, what do you guys think of trench foot? that can be implemented too.

Then why is it when i run in RL without shoes i run alot faster?

I would say many people are like this.

another think which i think is really cool which can be implemented is noise factor. i know everyone of have had a time when you wanted to walk really quite except it sounded like a jackhammer lol. well taking your shoes off would take away that noise to extremely quite. this can be used for advantages over players or even trying to sneak past zombies... its small things like this that will add to the overall depth and realistic feeling for the game.

Look up Cody Lundin, and his show Dual Survival on Discovery Channel. The guy goes barefoot AND puts on short shorts in Colorado's harsh winters. Also, in primitive times, the human race was designed to run barefoot, in modern times, not as much, but in studies, runners run faster barefoot than with shoes on.

EDIT: Wasn't barefoot in Colorado episode, I think he was barefoot in most other episodes.

Edited by thegalakrondian

it would be great if there where pros and cons to using different footware in SA that adhered to reality. In rl i cant go hiking without waterproof and sturdy boots. also i cant move silently with noisy clunky footware. plymsoles are great for sneaking but too flimsy and fragile, also you can hurt your feet on rough surfaces. Anyways i trust Rocket will try to direct the project toward a brutal reality experience.

If you've walked barefoot from the moment you could walk or at least for a very long time then you will be able to run faster because the soles on your feet will be very thick and hard. But if you're going running through the countryside barefoot while being used to shoes, sooner or later you're gonna get hurt, especially in a forest. Feet that are used to shoes are not built for that. You can run faster barefoot on grassy fields as long as it's just grass and sand but spread some rocks and pebbles around, twigs even and I'd like to see someone who's not used to barefoot running full speed across that.

Who needs shoes?

Edited by harley001

it should be depended on what kind of surface you are walking/running example you run fast on grass, indoor, tarmac but slower on broken glass and rubble