Sign in to follow this  
djshauny1

ROCKET. Playing with friends question (Standalone)

Question for Rocket or any of the Devs that are working on the Standalone version of DayZ

Will there be any sort of party system to allow people to team up together from the start of the game?

For me, and alot of the friends i play with on DayZ this is our biggest dislike about the mod.

Im sure alot of you like having to run for 30 mins at a time to meet up with other people you want to play with but there are alot of people who dont aswell like myself.

So my question is will there be any invite system for players who dont want to run for 30 mins to meet up?

I think without it would be a bad design choice

People just want to have fun and not have to go through all that to have fun only to get killed at the last minute

Now i know people will say we are playing it wrong blah blah blah, not how its meant to be etc but id thought id ask to see if anything will be done like this in the standalone.

I love the mod but it can be such a chore playing with friend lol

If you could answer mate or any dev that would be great.

Cheers

:)

• Like 2

You're playing it wrong

• Like 10

I think you'll have to put up with it and find a chopper to pick them up since this idea will never be put in DayZ I can guarantee. Not saying it's a bad idea since I also like playing with friends and the biggest trouble we've ever had is we can't get to each other easily, but the idea of spawning with friends is against DayZ since youre meant to spawn randomly and fend for yourself no held hands etc

Edited by Chris529
  • Like 1

A spawn on friends system would leave it too open to exploitation. An organised group would have one player at each key military location, and then just take turns spawning on each other to rape the loot.

It would suck in a fire fight too, pop off two out of three in a group then they just come back in a minute later.

It takes away the thing that makes this game so heart pounding- the time invested in you character to get them where they are and death could take it all away in a second.

I think in a real SHTF type scenario there would be groups of people that would have been together since the world went to hell. Maybe have the ability to make a party and have a higher % chance of spawning near or with each other? As in not every single time would you spawn with other players.

Example: 4 players are in a group together and when they spawn in 2 players spawn beside each other while player 3 spawns 100 meters away and player 4 spawns 1000 meters away.

Maybe something like that could work? I don't know.

People just want to have fun and not have to go through all that to have fun only to get killed at the last minute

My suggestion, have 'fun' on the way to meeting up with your friends. Also, getting killed at the last minute is fun!

omnomnom

No but seriously Ill quote rockets Twitter

Guy asks Will there be a party system

Rockets Response "Why is it your birthday or something"

Meaning no there will be no party system.

• Like 6

I feel your pain. I wouldn't mind being able to choose where at on the shore to spawn so you can at least spawn in a little closer to friends. I haven't heard any mention of it, but I think there will be a pretty big plea from the casual gaming community who only play 1-2 hours at a time for some sort of system like that.

Guy asks Will there be a party system

Rockets Response "Why is it your birthday or something"

Meaning no there will be no party system.

LMAO.

On a serious note, he has talked about potentially adding a group spawning system in the past. Personally, I hope it's kept completely random though. I mean how often do you and a friend both join a server as fresh spawns anyway?

Edited by mZLY

I think one of the solutions to this problem would be to make bikes very common on the coast. Shitty off road speed, but much faster than running when you're on the road.

I wouldn't mind if there was some kind of system where you could choose where you spawn as a new spawn or choose to spawn as a group on the beach

I don't see any way that might be exploited

• Like 1

I feel you bro. First time I played this game was at night with my mate Milo, we had spent an hour running along the coast in the dark to get to eachother. When we finally met up we decided to go to a town. It was a bad idea as we had no idea how to play. I've never seen a zombie train as huge as the one that chased him down. Luckily I got away and yammed his beans.

You're playing it wrong

Exactly. Dayz is meant to be played as it is now. Try and not to die in order to not get far away from your companions.

I feel your pain. I wouldn't mind being able to choose where at on the shore to spawn so you can at least spawn in a little closer to friends. I haven't heard any mention of it, but I think there will be a pretty big plea from the casual gaming community who only play 1-2 hours at a time for some sort of system like that.

There will be lot's of please from the casual gaming community. Hopefully they will all get ignored, the market is saturated with games aimed at casual gamers so it's not like the don;t have anything else to do.

• Like 4

I think they should scrap any ideas to do with party system, group spawning etc.

Its fine how it is now. I think travelling the land without a map using communication and landmarks to find a friend more fun. Adds to the realism aside from just spawning next to a friend.

Thing is you all want to be able to spawn with friends, but if it was implemented, one day you would be playing by yourself and you come up across 4 friends all spawning in together and then you would most likely be coming on the forum raging that it is unfair.

So no, Leave the spawning etc as it is.

• Like 2

I honestly hope group spawning isnt included.

If you cant survive 30 mins without friends perhaps you need to meet up with them at the pub or something.

• Like 2

I could imagine, that you could choose between one of 3 regions to spawn in. "West of Cherno" - "between cherno and electro" - "east of Electro" or something like that. (+ random of course)

Once your teammates join, they can choose the location closest, and you all start in about the same region. Having to run for a few minutes to team up might still be required, but as the maximum distance is 1/3 the map-width, it'd be a 5km strip, making it a maximum of 2500m for everyone to meet.

This, of course, would only apply to fresh-spawns, so if the whole team starts fresh, they can start together, but players who already have characters still have to go back. They'd just know where to go, before his team logs in, as he could know in advance what region they will choose to spawn in.

personally, that's the most flexible and least abusable method I could come up with.

• Like 2

Maximum Distance would be cool.I don't mind spawning at Kamenka, but if my friend spawns in Solnichy one of us tries to get a better spawn (suicide). Cherno - Elektro for example would be nice.

Edited by NoSurvive

I could imagine, that you could choose between one of 3 regions to spawn in. "West of Cherno" - "between cherno and electro" - "east of Electro" or something like that. (+ random of course)

Once your teammates join, they can choose the location closest, and you all start in about the same region. Having to run for a few minutes to team up might still be required, but as the maximum distance is 1/3 the map-width, it'd be a 5km strip, making it a maximum of 2500m for everyone to meet.

This, of course, would only apply to fresh-spawns, so if the whole team starts fresh, they can start together, but players who already have characters still have to go back. They'd just know where to go, before his team logs in, as he could know in advance what region they will choose to spawn in.

personally, that's the most flexible and least abusable method I could come up with.

Well, this is what we want to avoid precisely. To give already geared teams some sort of advantatge. When newspawns, teams should spawn together, but at a random place. Could be kamenka, could be solnichy. The only advantatge the already alive characters have is that all his teammates will be at the same place when they spawn, but which one? you can't know.

Lot's of games now have plenty of support for groups, especially steam ones. One of you creates a group, the rest join in, and the leader of the group choses the server, the map, the team, etc. (Killing Floor, L4D, BF, Aliens...).

I think this game needs something similar, you create a group and you join a server with your group and you all spawn at the same random place ONLY if you are newspawns, and if you split after this, that is your problem. Next time you log in you will spawn at your last known location, regardless if your friends are there or not.

Think about it, this games is supposed to be played long term and to survive for days and weeks. The only time your entire group would be newspawns it is when you join a server for the first time. It cant be used as a legit teleport.

Edited by p4triot

Lot's of games now have plenty of support for groups, especially steam ones. One of you creates a group, the rest join in, and the leader of the group choses the server, the map, the team, etc. (Killing Floor, L4D, BF, Aliens...).

I think this game needs something similar, you create a group and you join a server with your group and you all spawn at the same random place ONLY if you are newspawns, and if you split after this, that is your problem. Next time you log in you will spawn at your last known location, regardless if your friends are there or not.

Think about it, this games is supposed to be played long term and to survive for days and weeks. The only time your entire group would be newspawns it is when you join a server for the first time. It cant be used as a legit teleport.

Here here. I plan to get my friend in on the action. Being that he may very well be retarded, I don't want to consider the rage that could be endured trying to find and give him directions. Any unarmed player ins't a threat and it's not like your going to find MORE loot in a group. If anything having more people to distribute gear to is a crutch early in the game and just as realistic.

Who gets food? Who gets a gun? Who gets a backpack or clothing? Adds another layer of strategy to the mix, I think.

Maybe its just me but most group activities in other games I have played with some form of fast travel/group spawn ect. usually amount to 40 minutes of standing around scratching your ass waiting for other players. I don't need that in game, i can do that with the wife.

No, this would just make the game more casual and no one really wants that.

games are suppose to be a challenge and dayz is really a unique experience and a challenge for players, it will spit on you and kick you in the sand but you will adapt to it.

this a really rare to see these days and I think it should be preserved. casuals don't want challenge and just want to have everything handed to them on a silver spoon.

I think that if you really see it as a bad design choice you really shouldn't be playing this game.

Edited by Dimnzy