-Guardian-

Zombies attacking animals

But in dayz i have never been eaten by zombies just punched so im confused of to how zombies would eat animals, there is that animation of a zombie looking like he is eating i suppose that could work somehow, i love this idea especially after watching last weeks the walking dead.

Its not as much them actually 'eating' them more less just attacking* (OP) like they attack humans for instance. The animation where they are shoveling something into their mouths would work just fine if it were the case in this current mod. Just them actually recognizing the animals as a part of the game is what id like to see.

If i could choose how they do this (if they do this) it would be that the animals have the capability to run away, or be frightened, from both humans and zombies in a more realistic manner. This would make the act of getting meat actually require some hunting (for instance, i dont know if any of you have ever tried to kill a wild boar before; theyre aggressive when you get too close, and are very hard to get close to because they will run) - now after saying that, i wouldnt want it to be that hard, but i would like a gunshot if missed or a person being too close to cause them to run away or attack even.

One thing about animal animations from the current version of the mod is theyre too slow. if you do spook one, it runs slowly jogs away from you not near the speed they would really run from you at making it not even somewhat of a challenge to kill it; Thats only the boars or rabbits for that matter, cows slowly walk away when you shoot them. I really dont want it to be exact in comparison to real life but i would like to see this touched or improved on making it more of a challenge in the SA.

No one has said whether or not this has been discussed seriously or not for the SA and I dont remember seeing anything about it. Personally I think you could use it to your advantage in multiple situations.

I do realize that the Infected in Dayz are more based on the '28 Days Later' zed and not Walking Dead zed, but in both situations infected are attracted to anything that's alive. This is definitely a viable suggestion.

I try to play in the 'Mountain Man' style of game-play (hunting game and only venturing into town for ammo/medical supplies) and fighting over prey with zed would be an interesting part of my day. Since the update I've found it increasingly hard to find woodland critters to eat, and this would add a whole new dimension to it which I can appreciate.

Beans for this suggestion. The thread jacking should be stopped as of now though, to allow more discussion/opinions on this aspect :beans:

• Like 1

I try to play in the 'Mountain Man' style of game-play (hunting game and only venturing into town for ammo/medical supplies) and fighting over prey with zed would be an interesting part of my day. Since the update I've found it increasingly hard to find woodland critters to eat, and this would add a whole new dimension to it which I can appreciate.

Same. Me in the forest running into a zed and cow is what initially started this idea, and from there Ive already thought of quite a few situations this could affect gameplay in a good way.

I think its a sound idea, but I think animals should have a lower detection chance from Zeds.Larger slower animals such as Cows, Sheeps, Goats and Pigs/Boars should be fairly obivious to spot from Zombies (say between a hearing range of 20m and a Sight range of 50-60m) and I don't think they should attract a massive horde, a few zombies initially for example.

Smaller animals attract even less Zeds, Dogs, Rabbits and Chickens for example sometimes only attract 1 or 2 if they come within close proximity, (5m hearing range and 10m sight range).

Zeds should also "taint" the meat once they've killed it, given players a chance to pickup tainted meat which offers a high chance of infection and half the original blood restored when cooked. But eaten raw offers instant infection and no blood restoration.

• Like 2

I think its a sound idea, but I think animals should have a lower detection chance from Zeds.Larger slower animals such as Cows, Sheeps, Goats and Pigs/Boars should be fairly obivious to spot from Zombies (say between a hearing range of 20m and a Sight range of 50-60m) and I don't think they should attract a massive horde, a few zombies initially for example.

Smaller animals attract even less Zeds, Dogs, Rabbits and Chickens for example sometimes only attract 1 or 2 if they come within close proximity, (5m hearing range and 10m sight range).

Zeds should also "taint" the meat once they've killed it, given players a chance to pickup tainted meat which offers a high chance of infection and half the original blood restored when cooked. But eaten raw offers instant infection and no blood restoration.

This would also somewhat tie into the idea of the player and world always having a trail left behind. One wouldnt know if the animal was killed by a player or by a zed.

Everyone who has posted has liked the idea, which to me means its not that bad of one. id like for other ideas as to how this could benefit/hurt the gameplay in the SA to be added.

The way i put it in my topic http://dayzmod.com/f...reedinghunting/ The infected inhabit the towns and cites and animals are king in the woods. So if they cross paths say any large animal gets too close to a town and sees 30 infected that animal isnt going to attack or go near 30 infected or humans for that matter if it is in a normal state of mind its just gona run away so no confrontation. And if the infected decide to chase it four legs are faster then two so they will lose aggro of it pretty quickly. But say if they are straggler infected head into the woods they would get hunted down in the woods by the large predators bears,wolfs or killed by big herbivoures if infected tried to attack. So confrontation would take place but rarely and only in the woods as it would only make sense.

Edited by jona

The way i put it in my topic http://dayzmod.com/f...reedinghunting/ The infected inhabit the towns and cites and animals are king in the woods. So if they cross paths say any large animal gets too close to a town and sees 30 infected that animal isnt going to attack or go near 30 infected or humans for that matter if it is in a normal state of mind its just gona run away so no confrontation. And if the infected decide to chase it four legs are faster then two so they will lose aggro of it pretty quickly. But say if they are straggler infected head into the woods they would get hunted down in the woods by the large predators bears,wolfs or killed by big herbivoures if infected tried to attack. So confrontation would take place but rarely and only in the woods as it would only make sense.

Posting a link to your topic is pointless if you explain it all here anyways right? I think that your take on it is going a little too far with the predators. Now, I could be wrong but Im just not too sure the big predators will be added. In the beginning anyway. Plus the way the cows are now, they couldnt run away from anything even if they wanted to.

Posting a link to your topic is pointless if you explain it all here anyways right? I think that your take on it is going a little too far with the predators. Now, I could be wrong but Im just not too sure the big predators will be added. In the beginning anyway. Plus the way the cows are now, they couldnt run away from anything even if they wanted to.

Firstly every suggestion and reply i write is targeted to SA and not the mod. So the sate of how animals are in the mod is irelevant to me im thinking of how it should be in SA. Linking my topic isnt pointless because i dont even scratch the surface in the reply you quoted me on about my topic. Also i put it there for people to view who are interested if animals were in Dayz since this topic is sorta about animals aswell. My topic is a little too far i aggree but it doesnt hurt haveing a complex topic about animal suggestions and how they should behave realistically if they was put into the game and i enjoy writeing it since ive always had a good knowledge about animals.

Edited by jona

i'de like to see zeds eat eachother every once in a while, would add a little bit more realism than having them only attack a person, i mean, they can hear eachothers footsteps, why not aggro eachother once in a while.

thsearezombies based of 28 days later right?....so wouldn't they be did-interested in self-nourishment and only intend to spread the infection?....animals cant take the changes to the brain made by zombies so they wouldn't try and infect them

animals cant take the changes to the brain made by zombies so they wouldn't try and infect them
I seriously doubt the zeds understand the mechincs of infection.

I'd assume that working entirely from instinct would lead to "it moves, so I'll chase it" mentality.

Like a dog chasing a car.

Edited by Chabowski

Large, aggressive animals such as bears and wolves should occasionally attack and attempt to kill/eat the infected.

Well I use animals to distract walkers, I think this should be implemented

thsearezombies based of 28 days later right?....so wouldn't they be did-interested in self-nourishment and only intend to spread the infection?....animals cant take the changes to the brain made by zombies so they wouldn't try and infect them

The only thing I like about the 28 Days later fiction is the fact that the zombies aren't the risen dead but just infected people. The rest of the 28 days later fiction related to the nature of the virus completely unbelievable, unscientific, unauthentic bullshit.

It gives the idea that the virus is somehow intelligent and is systematically controlling the infected to spread itself. Doesn't make any sense since viruses can't think.

There was another related thread that I forgot to mention in a previous post:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/126836-what-is-%E2%80%9Ethe-infection%E2%80%9C-a-definition-approach/

The only thing I like about the 28 Days later fiction is the fact that the zombies aren't the risen dead but just infected people. The rest of the 28 days later fiction related to the nature of the virus completely unbelievable, unscientific, unauthentic bullshit.

It gives the idea that the virus is somehow intelligent and is systematically controlling the infected to spread itself. Doesn't make any sense since viruses can't think.

http://dayzmod.com/f...ition-approach/

Can you take a second and read a little? one of the first replies to this thread has that link to the other post in it. please stop posting duplicates.

Im also with you on the fact that its a little unbelievable on the aspect of the Virus being able to think. I agree with the earlier post relating this to dogs chasing cars. if its moving i must chase it. I cant say why they dont attack each other though.

Edited by -Guardian-

I seriously doubt the zeds understand the mechincs of infection.

I'd assume that working entirely from instinct would lead to "it moves, so I'll chase it" mentality.

Like a dog chasing a car.

we are basing these zombies of the 28 days later zombies...that have fair cognitive function (around that of a very dumb human)

http://dayzmod.com/f...ition-approach/

maybe the virus doesn't think that but makes the infected think that? :3

we are basing these zombies of the 28 days later zombies...that have fair cognitive function (around that of a very dumb human)
No lore has been released. Any speculation about zed behaviour can only be based on what we've witnessed in-game. Which isn't much.

You can't say "we are basing these zombies of the 28 days later zombies" because you don't know that.

Inspiration will be taken from various sources, but that doesn't mean they'll follow the same rules.

• Like 1

No lore has been released. Any speculation about zed behaviour can only be based on what we've witnessed in-game. Which isn't much.

You can't say "we are basing these zombies of the 28 days later zombies" because you don't know that.

Inspiration will be taken from various sources, but that doesn't mean they'll follow the same rules.

at this point everything we say about the zombies will be speculation seems how we have little to nothing to go on.

I think it would be nice to have a bit of erratic zombie behavior. Perhaps random chance that upon seeing an animal a zombie chases it, even attacking one another if they get too close would be interesting.

Having the animals react as well would be a bonus. The only animal that seems to have any reaction to players is the bunny.

Watching a zombie flailing around trying to catch a chicken would be cool or one with feathers in his mouth. Yet in a believable way all the animals would disperse from a horde of running zeds, maybe one cow would get mauled. So your gonna end up with them all in the woods, zeds included. After server starts it would be a bit nuts with migrating zeds everywhere. I want it though, oh yes!

Watching a zombie flailing around trying to catch a chicken would be cool or one with feathers in his mouth. Yet in a believable way all the animals would disperse from a horde of running zeds, maybe one cow would get mauled. So your gonna end up with them all in the woods, zeds included. After server starts it would be a bit nuts with migrating zeds everywhere. I want it though, oh yes!

Well with the current idea Rocket is running with, having zeds all over the map at all times, they would be in the woods anyways i think.

I am excited to see what the Devs do with this :thumbsup: