-Guardian-

Zombies attacking animals

I haven't seen this discussed really at all and it might be just me terrible at looking, so ill just say now sorry if its already a suggestion.

I was running through a field with an army zed from a deerstand hot on my tail as i pass an oblivious cow. As the zed completely ignored the cow and kept after me it made me think about the possibility of the zombie going after it instead. Why not right? it is still living and i hate to use the term logic when discussing zombies but it really does seem like a logical thing for them to do.

Has this been talked about at all for the SA?

Do you think this should be something implemented or tested? and if so to what extent?

Edited by -Guardian-
  • Like 3

Wait so you want a like a food circle? ... Animals>Zombies>Survivors>animals>zombies... So Animals go after zombies? Or is your title just misleading?

Ha ha yeah i thought that too.

A load of angry cows, goats and bunnies chasing a horde or zombies.

But i understand what you mean OP - should zombies be attracted to animals? I think so - it would be hilarious watching 10 zombies hurtling after a bunny.

However i don't think cows and goats would last too long in a field before being butchered.

I think this would be good to a certain level. I don't think the zombies need to kill the animals every time they see one, this would leave none for us. Just my two cents.

But i understand what you mean OP - should zombies be attracted to animals? I think so - it would be hilarious watching 10 zombies hurtling after a bunny.

However i don't think cows and goats would last too long in a field before being butchered.

It would bring an interesting dynamic to the game. Could you imagine setting up to overlook a town....Just to have a stupid bunny bring a horde of zombies to you.lmfao

Thats one badass bunny.

Yeah haha I meant the other way around, got a good laugh out of that one though.

I really think it is something that should be really thought about.

*Mods can you reword my title? I meant Animals aggroing zombies.

In The Walking Dead zombies will attack all animals, or beings that provide meat, so this makes sense.

• Like 2

I've edited the Title and I believe this is worth a place in the Suggestion Forums.

The only problem I can see is that the animals would need to be recognised as an enemy by the Z's in the game code.

Should be possible with a little bit of magic thrown in.

Moved.

• Like 2

If animals had a smaller radius for being noticed that would help to avoid them always being attacked, and would still allow for them to become prey if they got too close. I know dogs are already something of interest so would it be that hard to make a chicken, goat, or cow do something similar in relation to interacting with the zombies?

hehe, picture this:

You're wandering through the forest and you suddenly hear a Z wildly screaming, thinking he spotted you.. But he's not after you, he is desperately running after a bunny, not able to catch it

I'd love to see that! :D

I think it's a good idea. The animals are living/not infected so it makes perfect sense for the zeds to attack them. If people gut them after they have been killed there could be an increased chance of infection/illness to the player (as well as that of animals killed by players and left for a while). Also if predators are ever introduced they would naturally attack zeds as well as players and prey animals, the circle of life :)

• Like 1

Also if predators are ever introduced they would naturally attack zeds as well as players and prey animals, the circle of life :)

This reminds me of a sort of 'Farcry' feel to the animals. Id like that.

Edited by -Guardian-

I would really like if the Zeds interacted with the world and I think this would be the way to start that.

I agree with those above statements about predators, imagine being chased into the forest by a horde only to run into a bear or pack of wolves.

• Like 1

I don't know about animals attacking zombies, maybe they would instinctively avoid them. I like the OP's idea, though.

I really feel this needs to have more light shed onto it. More opinions over the OP would be appreciated.

Near big citites, you could also scare the animals off to attract a zombie horde. Distraction.

I think maybe corpses but if this they went after living animals there would be none left apart from flipping rabbits

I dont think they would kill all large animals, im sure its possible to make them less visual compared to humans so they dont get attacked all the time.

So far nobody has presented a good, authentic idea that is somewhat grounded in reality for why the zombies aren't attacking each other as well as animals.

This was discussed in another thread: http://dayzmod.com/f...ition-approach/

Please check it out.

first off: do they kill to eat? do they kill just due to a destructive urge? either way they should then also kill animals! but what "infection" is it, that they can distinguish between their kindred and others as normal ppl/animals? do as TheSodesa says and have a look at the posted thread!

Edited by joe_mcentire

There's a lot we don't know about the Zeds.

As I've said before, I'm pretty sure there wasn't much thought put into the "logic" of the infected when they were put into the mod.

They might see the animals as food. They might be trying to spread their infection. They might just be REALLY pissed off.

In any case, yeah, I think it would make sense for them to aggro at wildlife.

I'm going to go check out that link.

There seem to be a few subjects being discussed across multiple topics recently. If I'm not back soon, I'm probably lost in the suggestions section somewhere.

There's a lot we don't know about the Zeds.

As I've said before, I'm pretty sure there wasn't much thought put into the "logic" of the infected when they were put into the mod.

They might see the animals as food. They might be trying to spread their infection. They might just be REALLY pissed off.

In any case, yeah, I think it would make sense for them to aggro at wildlife.

Do they look at us as food or as a threat is another question ive asked myself. Simply put, if they are attacking us I presume it is because we are living. Which would in turn make animals in the same category. Id be careful with this in combination with the new zombie system too though seems how they will be all over the map instead of spawning in near players.

Maybe make animals only spawn in say 800m within player range and at a low amount. say maybe 3 or 4 animals spawning in by a percentage or focal point in wooded areas.this way they cant be used affectively to track someone, but also wont always be on the map to be eaten by zombies.

Edited by -Guardian-

But in dayz i have never been eaten by zombies just punched so im confused of to how zombies would eat animals, there is that animation of a zombie looking like he is eating i suppose that could work somehow, i love this idea especially after watching last weeks the walking dead.